Thread: GOTD 5/6/2016: The Adventures of Dino Riki (NES)

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default GOTD 5/6/2016: The Adventures of Dino Riki (NES)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160505_224542.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	9089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160504_235641.jpg 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	9090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160504_235840.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	9091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160505_000007.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	9092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160505_000133.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	9093Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160505_000216.jpg 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	9094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160505_002106.jpg 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	9095Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160505_002215.jpg 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	9096

I've almost always found the Hudson Bee to represent quality video games and remind me of getting stung in the armpit while going across the monkey bars on the swingset in my parents' back yard when I was a kid. So, when I saw it on the Adventures of Dino Riki at FuncoLand in the '90s for a buck, it was coming home with me. I was expecting a platformer, and, well... I did and didn't end up with one.

Dino Riki is really a vertically-scrolling shooter, but it does have some pronounced platforming elements. you always face and fire forward, dodging enemies and their shots while collecting power-up revealed by shooting scenery such as flowers, rocks, skulls, and occasionally out of thin air. You can power up your weapon three times, giving you increasingly stronger weapons with improved range and rate of fire, get boot icons to increase your speed, birds to let you temporarily fly, hearts and meat to expand and refill your health, and a special muscle Riki that allows him to bulk up and fire manly clones of himself across the screen. He can also jump, which allows him to quickly dodge about the screen, and also opens up the platforming elements.

The platforming in Dino Riki is unfortunately unintuitive. Riki jumps considerably faster than he walks, which makes getting used to it tricky, especially with an auto-scrolling screen. The platforms are often narrow, making for not just tricky jumps, but if you've powered up your speed, even a slight tap can drop you off the edge, killing you instantly. To compound matters, there are moving platforms, but you don't move with them... they will juat slide out from under your feet. Many of these sections are skippable if you have wings, but I have died far, far more from platforming than fighting, and in a shooter, it's a bit of a let down.

For an early NES game, though, the graphics look really good. Backgrounds vary between jungles, swamps, deserts, and mountains, and enemies are cartoony and distinctive. The bosses are nice and big, but they're very easy, and the music is just decent. Its challenge can feel a bit uneven with the platforming, but the control is very responsive, and it can be mastered with just a little practice.

So... played this one? Any early NES memories?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played this one -- and the memories are not good. As you pointed out, the controls for jumping are just terrible, I remember distinctively the little leaves in the water I always fell off because the controls where just not accurate. It is one of those games where challenge is replaced by frustration because of the bad controls.

Although I had little experience with games in 1990 when I played Dino Riki I could tell a good game from a bad one no matter how dificult it was. The game I played before Dino Riki was Life Force, and I loved it. Furthermore, Dino Riki has no atmosphere at all, it doesn't draw you in, it is a generic unintuitive hybrid between a scrolling shooter/platformer, and the curiosity how the next boss looks was very limited. In short, the game doesn't offer any incentive to play through the frustrating levels.

It wasn't an early NES title, though. The graphics for a NES game released in 1989 or 1990 were pretty standard; but they are at least the best part of this subpar game.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Life force didn't have atmosphere either, it was in space!

Any way i remember playing it as a kid and thinking it was pretty short. Especially for a Hudson game. After playing adventure island i expected something of the sort and got not much. Thankfully it was only a rental and got half off for returning it early. I felt that it wasn't bad just to short

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

It is pretty brief. There are 3 regular stages with bosses and then a four part final stage with a boss. It takes about 20 minutes to beat if you don't mess up. I think it's pretty fun, though the platforming is a tad broken. It's not so bad if you don't overdo it on the speed power-ups.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Fuck this game so very much. I've owned this since I was a kid, and recently made an honest attempt to beat it.

It's one of those "I WANT to like it" games because there are some cute, charming elements, but dear god, the platforming parts. Made worse is that it suffers from Gradius Syndrome in the extreme--you have to play pretty much perfectly because if you die once, the later stages become unwinnable.

Just what the hell was Hudson thinking?

Apparently in Japan this game was called Shin Junrui: the New Type. New type of what, torture? Yeah I WISH I was Amuro Ray about now...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Maybe you have to be Kamille with the blue hair

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I gotta admit I kinda got bored with Gundam before finishing it (and never explored the various spinoffs), who is Kamille?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Z gundam's Amuro