Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I've been recruited by the Neo Geo league to defend fun against much boredom

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'll look into that then, neo-geo.com seems to have a SEO lock on goddamned google so I don't find places like that so easily unless you have a reference area like hard mvs and so on.

By the way other than those mini-marquees is there any reason to buy a US version of a JP one for any MVS cart other than perhaps not being able to read the sticker? Last I recall ever reading about it many years (decade) ago the answer was more or less no.
    Nope. MVS and AES carts boot in the region of the console or arcade board they're plugged into. The AES, MVS, and all regions available are programmed onto every cart, home or arcade. Many games alow region select in their menus. So, basically, a Japanese cart acts like a US cart in a US system, and a US cart acts like a Japanese cart in a Japanese system. European carts are the same way. Region is a non-factor with a couple of exceptions like the Quiz games thar only have Japanese versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I had a feeling, so it comes down if you can read katakana basically which I can so that's fine, save $20 or something as long as you're not after a mini marquee with it.

Man I got so much crap in a matter of like a week I'm overwhelmed. Picked up a stack of manga in the dollar bin, gumball machine with a stand, pinball is being trucked out tomorrow and MVS goes in its spot with its 100~ game library, then Zelda GBA shows up with 3 GG games one being Shining Force, and then I got 2 blu ray box sets for Terminator (pre-genisys) and the hunger games set too. I got to find a way to clear my plate.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

In your case with a 2 slot there's really no negatives to going with a Unibios. Installation is nothing due to just popping the chip into the slot. You get the option to change your console region, flip between home and MVS mode, and cheat codes with playable bosses. The biggest thing to me is being able to get rid of stupid censorship issues at the touch of a button without forcing myself to play in Japanese mode or other nonsense. It's nice to have blood in KoF or fatalities in Samurai Shodown V Special. Some later games are censored in English mode even if you're playing the arcade versions.

It's also handy to be able when to reset the console in-game without flipping the whole cab power off or being able to exit the hardware test menu without doing the same. Monitors are such a bitch to work on and I'm always terrified that flipping it off and on more than absolutely necessary will send it to it's grave.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I see that universe bios 3.3 just came out in early March fixing some old bugs and making things pretty smooth it appears. Now if I were to do this I could see the utility if anything in saving a few screen on/off resets just because I turn it off anyway when I don't use it but the rest seems silly for a reset. Also I think the codes, at least non cheating types, maybe to pick up on a platformer stage where I left off, or keying up a boss without doing some kung fu code on the select screen type junk would be nice as well.

EDiT: Found the website for the thing from Razoola's post on a forum about 3.3 so I removed my questions here, website honored every one. Very cool. 30 euro, 5 euro for ugprade to ship it back if you want to, get your system serial coded in there too. Seems fairly cut and dry. I took pics of the board itself the other day when I had the cover off, I'm sure I could find the one to remove or flash the images up here and get that pointed out easy enough.

Wow...just bought my first MVS cart, an old pizza place favorite of mine -- Ninja Combat. Surprised the dude took my $54 shipped offer down from $79. Can't wait!

I snapped pics of the board the other day, remembered my phone failed to dial it in to my email so I just sent it again, attached them on here now. Can you point it out? Also you can see now the CR2032 my board has, guessing that got added since it's not what I see normally sold on ebay, etc for the thing which can leak. If what DP allows is too small (probably) there's this at 1280x960 http://s232.photobucket.com/user/tan...?sort=9&page=1
    Last edited by Tanooki; 05-11-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I can't zoom very well on my phone but if I'm not mistaken it's in the top right corner of your second picture. It should be the only socketed chip on the board. All you do is pry it up easy and evenly, careful not to bend any of the legs, and then mash the other one back in. It'll take longer to unscrew the metal cover than it will to replace that chip. It also has an indentation on one end so you know which way it faces for proper installation.

That is also extremely handy in troubleshooting hardware problems. Any time your board crashes or doesn't boot up past the BIOS screen correctly it will throw up a screen of info telling you exactly what was wrong. All the multi-slot boards I've used were picky on how the carts were inserted and would sometimes hang or crash mid-game if the pins were dirty or their wasn't a good connection. With that I could just soft reboot rather than flipping the cab off.

Many years ago I got 3 dead 1 slot boards in a cab lot I bought and had no idea what their deal was, with the Unibios I was able to determine exactly what was amiss. One had a Z-80 sound error that under normal circumstances would not let you proceed with anything, I was able to force booting with the Z-80 sound off to see that the board worked fine with the exception of the sound.

The developer dipswitch menu you can access within Unibios has some cool stuff, see if you can find a list of what all they do on since it's all different on a per game basis. Also, besides the preprogammed cheats you can toggle on/off it also has a raw patching function so most any codes available for MAME can be put in here even if they're not on the built in list. Going through Art of Fighting as Mr. Karate is always cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think I see it, but the only one that appears socketed is that longer chip half way between the battery and the memory card reader that says Toshiba on it and it's a 40pin chip it appears. I'm using a blown up image off my computer (also on my photobucket.) DP likes to shrink stuff a bit much. It's the only one that appears to have a black plastic bracket under the chip and not directly soldered to the board or with micro leads going off to traces on the surface.

I'd hate to think of that motherboard ever breaking down I could never fix those little chips, probably end up just having to swap it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hey I want to throw the games I own on my nvidia shield tablet, but obviously I need an emulator.

Suggestions on which is best? I read up about Neodroid, but the version on the play store rates for crap, but I see others saying it's good on that version (4.0) so I don't know. I'm aware that Broglia's stuff is always excellent and his rates just shy of a 4/5 but costs $4. There is some so called free fork which rates lesser, not sure if that's just garbage or I'm missing something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So anyway that suggestion about joining neo-geo.com forums backfired. I guess they feel they're too good for new members or something. I registered and awaited to be approved to post and something like 10 days later the account was erased entirely. What the hell?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    So anyway that suggestion about joining neo-geo.com forums backfired. I guess they feel they're too good for new members or something. I registered and awaited to be approved to post and something like 10 days later the account was erased entirely. What the hell?
    Yeah... not a real welcoming place. I think you'd have better luck at neogeoforlife.com. It's mostly UK based, but much friendlier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Pity if it was an accident. I'm going to try one more time, wrote the general email about it to see if anything comes of it. I'd rather stick with like minded locals than deal with overseas due to time zone differences and shipping if I were to buy something too as that sucks overseas.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

yeah neo geo.com can be a bit rough i have been a member since 2007 when i was collecting for and owned an aes with mods and unibios and also a neo geo pocket. i am still their and post and read a bit but can't say i have tons of friends and that they can't be assholes at time still the best neo geo resource i know of though

hell of a score man love that cab! i almost scored i think it was a single slot here in idaho for 200 but the wife wouldn't let me go get it i had the truck fired up and everything haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have a lot of leeway as I don't bring home big stuff but rarely, and if I have the room for it, there's no issue. You're right, they can be rough there, but you just ignore it, dish it back, or leave. It's a solid site. I find I post there more in the off topic and war room stuff than anything. Lately I haven't been using it as I keep getting distracted, the newest being 4 tubs of Lego a week ago from Thursday which took me a week to sort and came out with 15 full (or w/few parts I made full) sets and 2 full and some mostly there kids Junior sets along with a lot of extra misc stuff. I'll get back to it, I got a Neo Turf Masters kit from Italy for the price of the game itself and it's a real gem.