Thread: Xbox Streamer, Xbox TV, Slim Xbox One (2016) and Xbox "Scorpio" (6 TFlop GPU - 2017)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yearly console sequels? The world doesn't give a fuck about videogames that badly.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

this regular or yearly stuff is bs. my phones last me at least 2 years and really they can last far more so should my console. i get the 4k and maybe a slim down makes sense at this point as well but anything more and we might as well just become and stay pc gamers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Microsoft has pretty much said that all 1st part Xbox One games will be shared with PC. There's no real reason to own the Xbone if you have a decent gaming PC, unless you're still an active online gamer with LIVE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I will say that this upcoming e3 is actually pretty interesting from a business perspective.

Like just watching this whole thing from the sidelines is going to be super interesting. So much talk about new gaming systems arriving already, and a lot of it doesn't really make that much sense. Something is brewing behind the scenes, but I'm just not sure what the "real" motivation is for all this supposed new hardware. Here is my take on the big 3 heading into e3 next week:

Microsoft - This is probably going to be the most interesting e3 for Microsoft, because they really are at a crossroads right now with the video game industry. I honestly wouldn't be super, super shocked if Microsoft decided to get out of video gaming at some point. During the 360 era, MS was actually making a wee bit of money from the whole Xbox thing, but I really wonder if they are making very much money right now ? So, I could easily see them either kinda backing off slowly, and just treading water, or they have to really double down and get aggressive. If this Scorpio thing happens, then obviously they are trying to double down, and maybe get back into the mix.

Still, this Scorpio console wouldn't likely launch until November 2017, so why would they actually mention this thing at e3 ? What would be the good of that ? Xbox One sales would likely slow if everybody knows a "new one" is coming next year. Some say they have to do something to counter PS4's Neo. But do they really ? I think they could simply talk about upcoming Xbox One games, and just stay the course. Talking about Scorpio now might be super exciting, but it makes absolutely zero business sense to mention this thing so far in advance. I would think they wouldn't mention it until next GDC.

Sony - Supposedly the Sony Neo is actually coming this year, as early as September or October. Seems kinda crazy. Why would Sony rock the apple cart when everything is going so well ? They've sold over 40 million PS4's worldwide, and they just came out with a game in Uncharted 4 that shows that PS4 still has some decent power under the hood. Why would they fix what isn't broken ? Now, I understand that this new PS4 isn't really going to result in dramatically different games. You basically get all the same software, so it's not going to be capable of any radical new breakthrough games like Scorpio will be. This new PS4 would have an upgraded GPU, but everything else would remain the same (supposedly), and every single game must also run on the regular PS4, no exclusive games.

So, the idea is that they aren't exactly cannibalizing the PS4, by bringing out this Neo. Instead, they are just offering gamers options. A higher end option, and the standard option. The same games run on both. No exclusives. If you want the higher end PS4, go ahead. If you want the standard one, go ahead. It's an interesting concept. When you really think about it, it's not really changing things too dramatically for PS4 owners, because they are still going to get the same games.

Still, I think it's totally crazy that Sony would bother with all of this when everything is going so well for them. Why tempt fate ? Things are going so well, stay the course...

Nintendo - Who the hell knows what's going on with Nintendo. Talk about a strange duck.

Whatever Nintendo is doing, I think this is really going to be a make or break product for them. I understand that they literally have billions in the bank, and they could survive another failed product, but at the same time, I think if Nintendo stumbles badly again, they will never quite be the same Nintendo that we've known for so long. Two misses in a row will hurt them badly. However, if the NX is a return to form for them, they could sidestep all their recent problems and be right back in the mix. So, it's definitely going to be super interesting to see what happens with them.

The fact that they aren't showing anything just tells me that this system simply isn't going to be ready until November 2017, and Nintendo knows this. The hope of a Spring launch is a pipe dream imo. At least from a home console standpoint. If the NX has a portable component, I could potentially see that coming out late Spring 2017, but otherwise we are looking at November.
    Last edited by WCP; 06-10-2016 at 02:26 PM.