Thread: GOTD 5/31/2016: Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad (Neo Geo)

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default GOTD 5/31/2016: Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad (Neo Geo)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160530_005630.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	9323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160530_005613.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	9324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160530_005659.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	9325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160530_005710.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	9326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160530_005806.jpg 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	9327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160530_005854.jpg 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	9328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160530_010042.jpg 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	9329Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160530_010141.jpg 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	9330

Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad is a late Neo Geo AES & MVS game from Saurus, and is a follow-up to the excellent Shock Troopers. Both games are overhead run 'n guns a la Mercs/Commando, but with big, colorful Neo Geo flare. In 2nd Squad, one or two cooperative players set out to take on the evil organization DIC, who are using their business and military connections to create chaos and take power. The four selectable members must travel the world and use poorly-constructed english taunts to stop the spread of evil by blowing it up.

Each squad member has his or her own unique weapon and bomb attack, having different ratings and firing patterns. I personally prefer to play as LULU, whose primary gun has a wide spread pattern and tosses a nice grenade out with good range and power, but the others have their own strengths and weaknesses. Guns are powered up by picking up "P" icons, and collecting three levels your shot. "W" icons replenish bombs or special weapons, which are common to all characters as pickups. These include weapons like a round shot that spirals out a circle of glowing orbs, a flame thrower that does exactly what you'd expect, and a missile launcher, which sends out a barrage of slow, but deadly rockets. There are also vehicles that can be commandeered to attack and run over enemies with, and they can each execute a charge attack as well.

The scoring system in Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad is a bit different from the norm. The way you get both item drops and score multipliers is by chaining melée kills, which are performed by tapping fire at point blank range, which is made easier thanks to your jump evasion move, during which you are invincible. Aside from the aforementioned weapons and health restoratives, enemies will drop items that rotate through various values and, finally, letters. Each character has a different word below his or her status bar, and picking up the correspinding letters scores a huge bonus... but if you should pick up any letters not in your word, you lose all letters collected. This system isn't necessary for completion, but is very important for chasing score. Also, if you stand idle for a bit with extra power-ups, your character will reload and cash them out for another big bonus.

The Shock Troopers games are often referred to as a top-down Metal Slug, and that's pretty accurate. Aside from the already mentioned commonalities, enemies and characters are rather cartoon-y in appearance, and have violent, fluidly drawn death animations. 2nd Squad is often shelled for being less original and cutting many interesting ideas from the original, but I like it a lot for its colorful style and characters. It has a pre-rendered appearance for a lot of the larger sprites, but they are far more colorful than the norm of that style. 2nd Squad did receive a Japan-only AES release, which is very pricey, but the MVS cart I have is one of the cheaper MVS titles due to its international popularity, and usually goes for $50 or less. I've been a big fan since I first played it in 2001, so it was one of my first buys when I got my MVS cabinet.

Played it?
    Last edited by celerystalker; 05-30-2016 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Less for $50 AES? I haven't seen it sell that low on the arcade side. Then again maybe I'm missing out as ebay seem to have clowns who just set high BINS and let them fail week after using up their free 50 looking for a chump. I know that it's a solid game, Metal Slug seems like a fair comparison, but this one I've seen ripped on a little because of moving some of the button config around of all things and as you said being a lot like the first. But is that really all that fair, not like the Metal Slug games are revolutionary going into like the 8th of them now (MS7 was the last I think on DS which I have.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Less for $50 AES? I haven't seen it sell that low on the arcade side. Then again maybe I'm missing out as ebay seem to have clowns who just set high BINS and let them fail week after using up their free 50 looking for a chump. I know that it's a solid game, Metal Slug seems like a fair comparison, but this one I've seen ripped on a little because of moving some of the button config around of all things and as you said being a lot like the first. But is that really all that fair, not like the Metal Slug games are revolutionary going into like the 8th of them now (MS7 was the last I think on DS which I have.)
    No, no, it's $50 for MVS. AES is somewhere between $1000 and a brain aneurysm.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 05-30-2016 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ahh so that's why it's named that Aneurysm Expansion System. The more you get sucked in, the more you wish a vessel in your head would blow. Makes total sense now. I guess it's just ebay trolls trollin'. I'll have to watch other spaces for non douchy deals, ebay still, non BINs of course outside of freshly posted in case someone is honest. It surprises me how much the stuff on ebay costs and keeps getting reposted for the MVS in particular, you'd think being an asshole wouldn't be worth it but when you get 50 free, you can show off and drop a line for a fish at the same time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Use to have it for the mvs.Still i found it not as good as the first one so i solid it shortly there after.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Use to have it for the mvs.Still i found it not as good as the first one so i solid it shortly there after.
    I think that's the general consensus. I actually enjoy 2nd Squad more, but I wouldn't be able to argue that it's better, because it has obvious flaws like the fewer paths, fewer characters, the missing team mode, the slowdown... but I have a soft spot for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I think that's the general consensus. I actually enjoy 2nd Squad more, but I wouldn't be able to argue that it's better, because it has obvious flaws like the fewer paths, fewer characters, the missing team mode, the slowdown... but I have a soft spot for it.
    Right i didn't like the slowdown in 2nd squad and the limited paths to choose in game.The first shock troopers had more variety for how it played.I don't understand why sarus went in reverse for 2nd squad.