Name:	20160609_205018.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	9412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160609_205054.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	9413

Back in 1982, Konami developed Pooyan for arcades. It was a vertical monitor cabinet about a mama pig out to save her piglets from a gang of balloon-loving hungry wolves. As the natural habitat for both species apparently exists solely between two huge trees, Mama hops into her pulley elevator pulled by some burly piggies, whips out her bow and arrow, and starts making some wolves regret climbing trees and using balloons as parachutes. It's practically National Geographic.

Being a single-screen action game, Pooyan focuses on simple gameplay driven by a scoring system. In the first type of stage, mama defends her babies in her elevator by moving up and down and firing arrows at the balloons that the wolves are using to base jump, sending them plummeting to the ground. Should a wolf make it to the ground, it will climb Mama's tree and bite at her as she maneuvers up and down. Falling wolves can also chuck rocks at mama, and a direct hit or a bite will cost her a life. In repeat versions of this screen, the boss wolf will drop fruit, which, while granting points to shoot, will block your arrows, and wolves become adept at blocking arrows. Fortunately, mama can grab a great big slab of meat at the top of the screen, which she can throw to kill more than one wolf/fruit at a time. This is your primary scoring opportunity, as chaining multiple wolves on one piece of meat gives you a hefty multiplier.

The secondary stage is similar, but this time features mama trying to save her piggies kidnapped in the first level while wolves ride balloons from the ground upward to the top of the tree, hoping to drop a boulder on mama's head and crush her elevator. If too many reach the top, it's curtains. In both stages, a pre-determined number of wolves must be grounded in order to win, but in the second screen, you must shoot down the boss wolf, who has a flashing balloon and is an adept blocker, so the meat is a great option there. Be warned, decoy balloons fly up as well, and balloons in this stage can take multiple hits before going down. Again, chaining multiple hits on one chunk of meat is your key to big scores.

After clearing each screen, you get to play a bonus level where you huck only meat logs at rising wolves or shoot arrows at falling fruit. This is again a chance to rack up big scores with accurate shooting and quality meat handling. After clearing or failing these stages, another, more difficult loop begins, rinse, repeat.

Pooyan's graphics are solid for their time, and the sound is pretty average. The gameplay is addictive and timeless, and it was popular enough to get an Atari 2600 port, a Famicom port, a slew of home computer versions, and appearances on PS1 and PS2 on discs. It's a game based more on positioning and timing than reflexes, and the risk of waiting for just the right second to hit as many wolves as possible with your meat is a fun kind of tension. While I generally prefer a game with an ending, sometimes it's a good time to sit back and rack up a good score, and it's been a hit in tournaments.

Played it? Have a favorite version?
    Last edited by celerystalker; 06-09-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've never played the PS2 version, but I have played the arcade game. Honestly, that was only briefly years ago, I'm far more familiar with the Atari 2600 game. The game was always very surreal to me. I had borrowed the game for something like a year from a friend of the family, and that one was definitely the oddest one I borrowed. Gave him the game back in 1985, took me until last year to find another one in the wild. I've also coveted the electronic handheld version that I've seen in the National Videogame Museum, but I have more of a chance of getting hit by lightning while scratching off a winning lottery ticket than finding one in the real world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I'm a big fan of the Oretachi Geasen releases on PS2 and Pooyan is one of my special favorites. Great choice for a Game of the Day, not that I've ever thought you've made a bad choice :P
    The colorful graphics and whimsical characters/story couple with the unique gameplay to deliver a fun challenge. The arcing meat throw is very cool indeed, giving hte player an oportunity to combo kill a string of enemies if timing and positioning is just right, as you mentioned.

The PS2 release is particularly notable because it is the only home version with options for verticle screen orientaion.

I'd love to see someone do a port for 5200 someday!
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 06-10-2016 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a few of the PS2 imports of Arcade Cabinets including a few Sega Ages, Taito Memories (for PuLiRuLa) and Space Invaders. Never heard of Pooyan getting a stand alone on the PS2, curious if there are extras such as screenshots of Arcade Flyers or different versions of Pooyan on the game disc. Maybe reedit the OP to comment on any possible extra features on the game disc outside of the Arcade Rom?
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    I have a few of the PS2 imports of Arcade Cabinets including a few Sega Ages, Taito Memories (for PuLiRuLa) and Space Invaders. Never heard of Pooyan getting a stand alone on the PS2, curious if there are extras such as screenshots of Arcade Flyers or different versions of Pooyan on the game disc. Maybe reedit the OP to comment on any possible extra features on the game disc outside of the Arcade Rom?
    The Taito Memories collections were awesome. Pooyan was released as part of Hamster's Oretachi Game Center line in a Konami-themed sub-series that also contained Contra and Haunted Castle (whose extras I wrote up here: http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/sh...=1#post2026353)

Pooyan contains a mini music CD, a mini DVD with an "expert play" and some bonus commercials, history, and images. I'll try to post some pictures when I get downstairs next. Usually I'd just post them straight away, but I'm unfortunately laid up sick at the moment.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Hope you feel better soon. It's not like flesh eating bacteria or anything, is it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Hope you feel better soon. It's not like flesh eating bacteria or anything, is it?
    Heh, no, just bronchitis, and thanks. Just have to rest and take meds to reduce fluid on the lungs, 'cause I waited too long to get checked out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Had to go downstairs to get my medicine, so here are the PS2 extras as promised:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160611_110718.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	9423

The two mini discs are a soundtrack CD and a DVD with an "expert play," commercials for the Oretachi Game Center games, and some history of the game all in Japanese. There is a trading card with art from the Japanese flyer, an expert strategy guide, and a manual pamphlet containing instructions, a little art, and photos of the arcade PCB from various angles.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Had to go downstairs to get my medicine, so here are the PS2 extras as promised:

The two mini discs are a soundtrack CD and a DVD with an "expert play," commercials for the Oretachi Game Center games, and some history of the game all in Japanese. There is a trading card with art from the Japanese flyer, an expert strategy guide, and a manual pamphlet containing instructions, a little art, and photos of the arcade PCB from various angles.

Hope that helps!
    That is neat! Stuff like this really adds to the game!

Here is the Wiki list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oretachi_G%C4%93sen_Zoku
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT