13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Default New plug & play Retro-Bit Generations console by Retro-Bit

I hadn't seen anyone mention this here yet and figured I'd point it out. Although all the details aren't announced yet, Retro-Bit has shown off their latest console creation at E3. It's called Retro-Bit Generations; a small plug & play style console that has both composite and HDMI out, 2 Genesis-style six button controllers, and has a bunch of emulated arcade games installed. From what I've read they've licensed both Capcom and Data East titles (maybe more?) and it's going to include around 60 games. Does not have a cart slot and no word on any SD card slot or any other hardware details. You can see pictures of the system along with the so far announced game list on Retro-Bit's Facebook page or website.

No price point announced yet and obviously this isn't going to contain anything you couldn't pirate for free right now, but it's got my attention (especially if the controllers are good). Even if it's just a bunch of CPS1/2 games with some Data East oddities thrown in I could see myself picking it up. Being the soured old man I am this thing has my interest peaked more than anything else announced at E3.
    Last edited by Az; 06-17-2016 at 01:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm. I had just assumed the most logical step for them would be another clone console that introduced n64 support.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Looks like a few more details on this have come to light and this has gotten a little more interesting. It is going to have an SD card slot but currently its only function is to import/export save states. Game list is now 100 titles; Irem and Jaleco are now on board. Interesting thing is that some SNES titles from them have been mentioned (Super R-Type, Super Bases Loaded series, Brawl Brothers). Price point still listed at $59.99 USD.

Looks to be an interesting addition to go along with the Classic NES plug & play system. If only Sega wasn't hampered with dogshit AT Games licensing agreement and could participate in this system...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

This arrived yesterday and I got a chance to check it out. My goodness what utter rubbish it ended up being.

In all fairness it has some good points. The controller cords are extremely adequate at probably 8-10 feet long each. The controllers feel alright but the d-pad has a delayed response in both the GUI and games. I don't know if it's due to a shitty d-pad hardware needing a hard mash to register or if it's lag on the software side. There are no arcade games that require a 2x3 six-button layout yet plenty of SNES games, so I really don't understand why they just didn't use the Super Retro Trio SNES style controller. The only games that require six buttons are now shoehorned into a layout they weren't designed for. They did have the foresight and good taste to include the original Japanese version of Rushing Beat Shura instead of the castrated US version of Peace Keepers. That's about it for the positives.

First thing to notice is the box itself is covered in piecemeal stickers where last minute removals and additions were done to the game list. There's a few screenshots of games and a newly applied sticker listing nearly all the titles in a tiny font. There's ZERO info provided about what system/version of the game is. It's important to note that a few games still listed on Retro-Bit's website and Facebook page are not included at all.

Games list is the most bizarre, out of left field, mish-mash crock of shit you've ever seen. Capcom as a prime example; you've got the arcade versions of Forgotten Worlds and Captain Commando, the Genesis verison of Mercs, and the NES (!) versions of Bionic Commando and Gun.Smoke. Yes, I was dumb enough to assume these would all be arcade versions.

The emulation is horrid with at (or below) AT Games quality in most instances. My first reaction was to honestly assume the console arrived defective. No video/filter options other than choosing a 4:3 or stretched 16:9 image. No emulator options for arcade dipswitches or console region setup. Every system I've tried was emulated poorly. The sound isn't too bad but every system either had slowdown or very obvious frameskipping. The Genesis in particular was extremely bad with both frameskipping cranked to the max and the sound playback strangely running at 2x normal speed. The Genesis is one of the most well documented platforms to emulate, can be ran well with very low hardware requirements, yet runs much worse than the SNES emulator.

Early impressions had some people calling this a better alternative to the mini NES. If Retro-Bit doesn't supply a software update to fix these issues you won't hear that comparison made again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Reads like every complaint list I've seen. The highpoint is the controller cord, which had not been for Nintendo being Wii-centric putting a 2.5ft cord on the NES Classic Edition it wouldn't be mentioned. Bad emulation, input lag (and it's the controller, not button issues from the looks of it) and your other points. It supposedly can get updates, so a few I've seen say they'd keep it and see if they bother to fix it, a lot are just angry they wasted money considering so much badly emulated stuff and questionable versions of titles included when so many more arcade releases could have been chosen for it. Some people are looking to take the wasted money and see if it can be hacked to make it like it was kind of advertised (not crappy with bad ports and/or of lesser versions of games.) It's a shame I was interested but stuff like this I do a wait n' see on. After what I've read I think a better shot would be to track down an Ouya, sideload all sorts of goodies and be done with it. (Or see if those NES hackers bust that one open as it appears to have New3DS level hardware inside meaning it probably is better off than that retrobit box.)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Blame yourself for even bothering with these junky things. Do you have a smartphone? A tablet? Then go discover what you can do with them. No whining.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Blame yourself for even bothering with these junky things
    May I borrow your magic crystal ball that determines product performance prior to anyone on Earth actually playing or experiencing it firsthand? It would just as handy for non-video game situations to predetermine the totally unknown potential qualities of food, movies, vehicles, sexual partners, and more.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    May I borrow your magic crystal ball that determines product performance prior to anyone on Earth actually playing or experiencing it firsthand? It would just as handy for non-video game situations to predetermine the totally unknown potential qualities of food, movies, vehicles, sexual partners, and more.
    Anytime, sweetcheeks. How about reading the rest of the post? Instead of quoting the first sentence of an ENTIRELY too long paragraph for you to comprehend?

Thanks and goodnight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The rudeness of the comment is why you got that response. The only part I'd agree with it never to trust a device like this using chinese oddball parts until it is out so you know how well it was done or not. Retron5 being semi-similar is a great example of how long it takes a polished turd to actually not smell.

And yes I have gone the android route kind of. I loaded my MVS library I own to my shield tablet for on the go or a lazy moment. Last June when I was on vacation it was nice having that handy on the airplane.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was going to pick one of these up to show support even though I have a modded wii that can play everything this does. Really disappointing that this is so poorly made, the cheapest android tablet or smart phone can run mame, snes, genesis, & nes emulators pretty flawlessly so they had to be super cheap with the CPU to have such noticeable performance issues. Software updates can hack some emulator settings to try to make some games work better but they won't be able to upgrade a $5 cpu through software, hopefully they just stop production and come out with a better model with a decent CPU and improved emulation. Seems like they rushed it out just to try to compete with nintendo or to get it out in time for the holidays which doesn't even make sense cause this thing doesn't really appeal to the casual gamer. Shitty 6 button sega knockoff controllers, the lack of data east games, and homebrew filler are curious decisions as well. The mini nes supposedly has a better cpu than the wii, obviously nintendo has a lot more wiggle room as far as profit margins go but it's hard to figure out how they couldn't afford to make something decent that actually works, materials can't be costing them more than $15 so that leaves two thirds of the msrp for licensing and profit & they didn't license any major titles really so I doubt that's eating up a large chunk of their profits. Wonder why they didn't put the last jajamaru nes game on this(aka squashed)? They put two of the early ones on and the gameboy one it'd easily be one of the better titles on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I got to play this today and its just disappointing on almost every level. Mercs is to me unplayable with the constant frame skipping. Retrobit is such a weird company. They made the great retro gen adapter and great SNES style controllers for the retro trio and then give us a shoddy genesis controller via USB (only the included controller works) and release some very poor emulated games that ran fine on a pc from 1998.

I also hear the latest retro trio revision goes back to an inferior NOAC. Their quality control is all over the place. It's frustrating.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I watched a video on youtube about this. Pretty mind boggling how bad it is.
    Apparently some sounds are completely missing from certain games, and the frame rate is all over the place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly it's passed the point of anyone caring but If you had any plans whatsoever on picking this up, don't. My friend's unit is now emitting a loud "hum" for no discernible reason with the sound of some games not playing at all anymore. Browsing their facebook page it looks like other people are having this issue as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

And I'm sure no one is shocked the bones are as cancerous as the guts. They should get class action sued for not delivering on promises and peddling poorly made goods by anyone who tortured themselves or their former friends with one.