Thread: Capcom Titles That Could Have Had an NES Release...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Capcom Titles That Could Have Had an NES Release...

Were there any Capcom games in particular, besides Black Tiger, that you think could have been ported to the original 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System?

My list:
    Hyper Dyne Side Arms (precursor to UN Squadron?)
    LED Storm
    Final Fight (Double Dragon was still popular in 1990)
    Street Fighter I (1987) (where our respective Japanese and American heroes Ryu and Ken Masters take on enemies like Retsu and Geki from Japan, Joe and Mike from the USA, Lee and Gen from China, Birdie and Eagle from the UK, and lastly Adon and future stalwart Sagat from Thailand)
    Ghouls 'n Ghosts (the home console license was bought by Sega)
    MERCS (home console license bought by Sega)

~Ben

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Ehm, I thought Final Fight DID get an NES release? Kinda?

I mean granted "NES Release" in those days meant "basically we turned it into a Metroidvania or an RPG or something but hey nobody liked the arcade Bionic Commando anyway except for that Edmond asshole and who listens to him?"

I always wanted a home version of the Arcade Willow, tho that's more suited to the SNES than anything.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I don't like to be negative and discourage conversation, but I'm confused by this topic. Final Fight was turned into mighty Final Fight. Mercs and Ghouls 'n Ghosts couldn't come out due to publishing agreements (and would have sucked anyway, especially Mercs). SideArms, which is not related to UN Squadron at all (that game is based on the manga Area 88), but has some commonalities with Section Z, was owned publishing wise by NEC Avenue/Hudson, as was Street Fighter, so Street Fighter got a re-imagining as a spinoff in Street Fighter 2010... they just couldn't happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's not negative you're a realist, same with me and it bugs people who can't hack it. There are other arcade games from the 8bit era that didn't make the NES that would be good for argument, sadly I can see them in my mind right now and I can't remember the damned names, vertical shooters mostly, one even got I think an hp ipaq(pda)/windows release on a disc no less in the later 90s I believe.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I don't like to be negative and discourage conversation, but I'm confused by this topic. Final Fight was turned into mighty Final Fight. Mercs and Ghouls 'n Ghosts couldn't come out due to publishing agreements (and would have sucked anyway, especially Mercs). SideArms, which is not related to UN Squadron at all (that game is based on the manga Area 88), but has some commonalities with Section Z, was owned publishing wise by NEC Avenue/Hudson, as was Street Fighter, so Street Fighter got a re-imagining as a spinoff in Street Fighter 2010... they just couldn't happen.
    SEGA also secured the home console rights to Forgotten Worlds. They also managed to self-publish Strider for the Genesis and Master System as well (which Capcom already released itself for the NES in 1989), but those came after Nintendo was forced to step back on their restrictions.

~Ben
    Last edited by ColecoFan1981; 06-19-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ColecoFan1981 View Post
    SEGA also secured the home console rights to Forgotten Worlds. They also managed to self-publish Strider for the Genesis and Master System as well (which Capcom already released itself for the NES in 1989), but those came after Nintendo was forced to step back on their restrictions.

~Ben
    In the US. Forgotten Worlds came out on PC Engine CD in Japan. It would have been awful on NES. SCAT is the closest thing on the NES, and while playable, can't replicate Forgotten Worlds' set pieces... really, that game needs its arcade spinner control. Not sure what that has to do with the topic, though, but I don't think I get the topic anyway.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

really, that game needs its arcade spinner control. Not sure what that has to do with the topic, though, but I don't think I get the topic anyway.
    I don't think I do either, but I wanted a mention that the controls for Forgotten Worlds on the Genesis worked well. My only real complaint is that the Genny port was missing two stages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I don't think I do either, but I wanted a mention that the controls for Forgotten Worlds on the Genesis worked well. My only real complaint is that the Genny port was missing two stages.
    I think the Genesis port was pretty solid, I just missed the spinner. What they did worked a whole lot better than the ass controls on thd SNK PSP stuff.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Speed Rumbler!

I tihnk this is a forgotten arcade gem. It's sort of like Mad Max capcom style. It has that early capcom thing going on like Tojan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57lg9pFUgco

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homerhomer View Post
    I tihnk this is a forgotten arcade gem. It's sort of like Mad Max capcom style. It has that early capcom thing going on like Tojan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57lg9pFUgco
    I've NEVER seen or heard of this game, but it looks amazing! Man, this would be perfect for a handheld.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Speed Rumbler is pretty cool. I never played it on an actual cabinet, but it's on Capcom Classics vol. 2 on PS2 and Xbox, so that's where I discovered it. I dig it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If I remember my lore correctly, Street Fighter I was advertised for the Famicom AND NES but never saw release (although since nobody's found a proto, I don't know how factual that story has potential of being), and that's why Street Fighter 2010 was given its moniker; as a way to somewhat fulfill an obligation. Mind you I read this in an old issue of Tips & Tricks so A) it might not be 100% accurate since they didn't source it and B) I could be misremembering a bit. Either way, it's not like SF1 would have not been feasible on the system considering that ports were released on less powerful hardware and so were ones of SF2 for that matter. Plus there's tons of Hong Kong bootleg Street Fighter titles that are mechanically competent enough.

EDIT: OP didn't you start pretty much this exact topic less than a year ago?
    Last edited by The S; 06-30-2016 at 12:01 AM.
    Looking for:
    Chūka Taisen (Cloud Master) manuals
    Monon Color + games

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

In the US. Forgotten Worlds came out on PC Engine CD in Japan.
    This could easily be misinterpreted as Japan not having a Sega version. The game is also for Mega Drive. I own the Mega Drive version so I'm fairly certain about this. I chose the MD version because, if I recall correctly, the PCE port doesn't have multiplayer support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNtd View Post
    This could easily be misinterpreted as Japan not having a Sega version. The game is also for Mega Drive. I own the Mega Drive version so I'm fairly certain about this. I chose the MD version because, if I recall correctly, the PCE port doesn't have multiplayer support.
    I believe you're correct about the multi-player. I opted for the Genesis version as well, and then the Capcom Classics disc.