Thread: GOTD 7/4/2016: Lazy Jones (Commodore 64)

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Default GOTD 7/4/2016: Lazy Jones (Commodore 64)

One of my earliest gaming memories is playing Commodore64 in my friend's basement. My buddy (who lived next door to me at the time) had an older brother who was some kind of software or computer programmer who lived in Germany or somewhere in Europe. Because of this, my buddy had literally hundreds of disks with Commodore programs, mostly games. We would spend hours searching through the disks, trying to find fun games in English that we could actually play. Our favorite game was definitly Lazy Jones.

The plot of this game is nothing short of awesome. You control Jones, a lazy hotel employee whos only ambition in life is to neglect his work and play video games instead. The hotel in which Jones works contains 18 rooms, each of which have their own computer game. The goal of the game is to aviod your irrate boss and sneak into the various hotel rooms to play these video games. Like how awesome is that? A game about slacking off at work and playing video games!

The challenge in this game stems from avoiding your angry manager, the ghost of your former manager, and the cleaning trolley as you navigate the hotel hallways and elevator. You lose a life if you touch one of these things/guys. Each hotel room has a sub-game where you rack up points which are added to your total score (not to mention the largest friggin TV sets in the world!). Each sub-game is different, and once you play them all the rooms reset at a higher difficulty.

Lazy Jones is a really fun game and has an awesome soundtrack as well. C64 has many games with excellent sondtracks, but this is my favorite. Ive looked and the original game is like, impossible to find. If you havent played this you should definitly check it out on an emulator.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    The challenge in this game stems from avoiding your angry manager, the ghost of your former manager...
    Wait, what?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Anyone familiar with Zombie Nation? That song came out of an illegal cover of one of the tunes in Lazy Jones! David Whittaker (the programmer AND musician) eventually got some royalties from it, but not much.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Wait, what?
    Yeah thats what the intro says. I guess Jones works at the Overlook hotel or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Anyone familiar with Zombie Nation? That song came out of an illegal cover of one of the tunes in Lazy Jones! David Whittaker (the programmer AND musician) eventually got some royalties from it, but not much.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsorGbKwNlA

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

This game sounds awesome! We didn't have any kind of home computer in our house when I was a kid, so my experience with vintage computer games in their time was limited to an Apple II at school and a neighbor with an Amiga. I had never heard of this before, but I want to play it now!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Wow. I watched the youtube vid and heard it. That's nutty. How many games have used music from other, completely unrelated games, I wonder?