Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 should now be the start of Modern Gaming - PlayStation 2, GCN, XBOX = Classic Gaming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Default Xbox 360 should now be the start of Modern Gaming - PlayStation 2, GCN, XBOX = Classic Gaming

Classic Gaming - "Before Xbox 360" now going all the way upto PlayStation 2 - GameCube - original XBOX ... Those three consoles are 15 to 16 years old, as of 2015-2016.

Modern Gaming - From Xbox 360 to the present!

Discuss.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Don't we have a thread about this at least once in the past already? It's a problem of age versus style. You can ask the same question for music. Do you slowly keep piling more bands into "classic rock" just because their old albums reach 20, or 30 years of age? Or do you never expand the genre of classic rock because it's a style not simply age.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNtd View Post
    Don't we have a thread about this at least once in the past already? It's a problem of age versus style. You can ask the same question for music. Do you slowly keep piling more bands into "classic rock" just because their old albums reach 20, or 30 years of age? Or do you never expand the genre of classic rock because it's a style not simply age.
    There's a lot of bands from the 80s that don't get radio air time because they will never be considered classic. It's a shame.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Honestly, I think it's less a point of contention and more a matter of the few people who have the ability to change the forum descriptions not being around and not caring to update them. Personally, I see the Modern Gaming section for discussing current gen stuff and Classic Gaming for everything older. In practically, that's usually how it boils down. Now, do I personally see, say, the PS3 as "classic" or "retro"? That's a different matter, but it's not of great concern of me which systems "deserve" these titles and which don't, anyway. I find that argument often comes down to elitism.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Yeah I agree about the age vs style. Personally I cant consider xbox, ps2 classic gaming at all. Stuff on these systems is very much like modern games on the current consoles.

But regarding the music topic, I think "classic rock" essentially refers to rock from a generally specific time period. I know radio stations will lump songs for whenever reason and call it classic rock, but you can really disect rock into many catagories. Like music from the 80s and 90s is much more accurately classified as something else.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxscroll View Post
    Classic Gaming - "Before Xbox 360" now going all the way upto PlayStation 2 - GameCube - original XBOX ... Those three consoles are 15 to 16 years old, as of 2015-2016.

Modern Gaming - From Xbox 360 to the present!

Discuss.
    You do realize that is a big undertaking, right? Unless you want PS2, GCN, and Xbox topics in two different forums, thousands of threads will need to be combed through and moved to Classic Gaming.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Dreamcast has definitely a more classic feel on the games released for the console. PS2 and beyond there was a clear "evolution" of the genres and the classic style changed and has more in common with current trends than classic trends.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post

But regarding the music topic, I think "classic rock" essentially refers to rock from a generally specific time period. I know radio stations will lump songs for whenever reason and call it classic rock, but you can really disect rock into many catagories. Like music from the 80s and 90s is much more accurately classified as something else.
    They just pick a few bands from that era and allow them to be played, but throw the rest aside. You'll hear Def Leppard, J Geils Band and DLR Van Halen, but no Haggar, MSG, Krokus or Tesla. I have to go to the more modern rock stations to hear the likes of Judas Priest and Motley Crue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

When I first joined here "Modern Gaming" was PS2/Xbox/Gamecube/Game Boy Advance/Nintendo DS and that was 2005. I'd like to think that generation is no longer "Modern" (as in "Current") since it's literally two generations of consoles in the past and are there any Walmarts around selling PS2 games this long past its prime? Plus, demand's low and the market's saturated on games from two game generations ago so the prices are dirt cheap in yard sales. Hey, I've even seen Xbox 360s, one generation newer, for $10 that I passed on. I don't know if they worked or not but still, example.

- Austin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Classic gaming to me is the Sega Dreamcast and back. That will always be it for me. Anything after that does not count for me.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    Classic gaming to me is the Sega Dreamcast and back. That will always be it for me. Anything after that does not count for me.
    And for me the Dreamcast is laughable as a classic system, as anything disc based is modern IMO.

But let's face it, they're all just dumb labels anyway. Who cares what anybody calls them?
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    And for me the Dreamcast is laughable as a classic system, as anything disc based is modern IMO.

But let's face it, they're all just dumb labels anyway. Who cares what anybody calls them?
    PC Engine and Mega Drive have CD expansions and I still consider them classic despite the storage medium used for the game software.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

PC Engine and Mega Drive have CD expansions and I still consider them classic despite the storage medium used for the game software.
    That's nice.

The point being it's all labels. Who cares?
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Personally I think the best cutoff is the year 2000.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

PS2 JRPGs are far better than anything released on future consoles. There's your answer. PS2 is classic. :P.

Even if we go by style, PS2 is similar to PS1, so should PS1 be listed in modern gaming? Tomb Raider on the PSX is a fairly story driven straight forward game. Fast forward to Tomb Raider Legends on the 360 and other than better graphics, the game is pretty much identical in how the game progresses and plays. Gran Turismo has drivers licenses, you purchase cars, and you do races. Nightmare Creatures is pretty much the original form of Devil May Cry, or could even be considered a precursor to the style of games like Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne. Compare Street Fighter Alpha 3 to the newest Street Fighter titles, it hasn't progressed much more since, and in a lot of opinions, SFA3 is still the best in the series, or Marvel vs Capcom to MvC3, or Bloody Roar 1 and 2 to Bloody Roar 3.

If it's style, then the PS1 would also be considered a modern gaming machine.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-22-2016 at 08:13 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do we really need to categorize what is a modern game console? After all many new consoles have game titles with retro style graphics of the older era. The label is all based on one's own perception and perhaps age.

CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd argue that the polygon-based games of the past 15 years have developed a plateau of sorts that should be taken into consideration here.

Let's compare - for just a moment - the landscape of the PC. If we were in the year 2000 and you asked if a 5 year old PC could be used for every day purposes, I'd tell you not really no, there were massive jumps in power and application of that power over that short span of time. Ask the same question in 2016, I will tell you 2011 hardware is perfectly usable today for nearly any kind of every day task. Heck, I'd even argue 2006 PC hardware is still completely usable. All I use are machines from the middle of the 2000s.

The same can be applied to our perception of modern games. Unlike previous game consoles where there were huge leaps forward in power and the application of that power, Colecovision to NES to Genesis to 3DO to PSX to N64 to DC, nowadays we are facing far shorter leaps forward. I suppose if you were really, REALLY picky, you could argue increased resolution and more polygons and better textures qualify as big leaps forward, but when you compare to what had happened previously (like going from 2D to 3D, entire genres being made possible with better hardware), it's not hard to see how short those jumps have been.

tl;dr summary: Not much has changed between PS2 and PS4 in terms of modern vs vintage. I argue that the window for modern should increase because of that lack of change.

Come join us on Micro-64

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Do we really need to categorize what is a modern game console?
    Well, this very forum has sub-forums for "Classic" and "Modern" to separate the two, which seems reason enough to discuss the difference. The forum description for Classic specifically says "before Playstation 2".

--Zero

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    Well, this very forum has sub-forums for "Classic" and "Modern" to separate the two, which seems reason enough to discuss the difference.
    Those sections could just be merged together, the forum isn't busy enough anymore to need separate sections for game discussions.

My personal view, PS1 era was the last of classic gaming. N64 is on the fence either way but to me that's a modern console.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thread topic: How old are you?