Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Nintendo Entertainment System Classic Edition

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Interesting. From Siliconera:

If someone missed out on picking up a NES Classic Edition the first time around, a second chance has presented itself. Starting today, June 29, 2018, the plug-and-play system has returned to stores. You should be able to find it on both digital and physical retailers very soon for $59.99. Best Buy, GameStop and Target all have their listings up.

Both the NES Classic Edition and Super NES Classic Edition are expected to be available in stores through the end of 2018.
    If all of that is true, then places like Amazon and Wal*Mart should be getting stock of the NES and SNES CE's throughout the rest of this year. Hopefully that means that prices for new and used consoles will drop to reasonable levels. I've already noticed a real effect on the prices at places like Amazon, where what was once $250+ is now like $80.

Also of note: GameStop listings for Super NES Classic Edition - Ships by 7/6 and Nintendo NES Classic Edition - Ships by 7/13. I guess that's how GS is going to handle orders for the next round of consoles on its Web site.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Interesting. From Siliconera:

(snip)

If all of that is true, then places like Amazon and Wal*Mart should be getting stock of the NES and SNES CE's throughout the rest of this year. Hopefully that means that prices for new and used consoles will drop to reasonable levels. I've already noticed a real effect on the prices at places like Amazon, where what was once $250+ is now like $80.
    Yeah, I saw that in the other article posted here. Hopefully, there will be announcements soon about GameStop getting shipments of the SNES Classic back in. I didn't ask when I bought my NES Classic, but if they're indeed still producing them, it's probably only a matter of time. I periodically checked the local GameStops throughout the past year asking about the SNES Classic Mini, and shipments (when they got them) were better than they'd been for the NES Classic, but still sparse; this past spring, one of the employees I talked to was under the impression that it might've been discontinued, since they hadn't gotten a shipment of them in some time. In any case, I'm glad that the scalpers are finally getting the screws put to 'em, albeit indirectly.
    -Adam

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    After two years I finally got one too but my story is abysmally boring. I just went by target yesterday morning on the way to work and they had 5-6 of then I need the case. Worst part for me and the other two people was waiting for the electronics guy to be able to unlock the case....now the controllers are apparently harder to get at the moment but since SNES classic and Wii classic controllers work with its not really a big deal at the moment.

I’m just glad Nintendo re released them

You and I have a similar experience! I was disappointed when they came out and were quickly out of stock. (I even tried to order them from Best Buy's website the brief time they were available again.) I originally pre-ordered one from Amazon UK but the order got cancelled because my credit union was blocking the payment and it took too long to get it sorted out. I was eating lunch Friday (around 2:15ish) and decided to check the NowInStock website just for giggles, figuring it was already sold out everywhere. I saw Walmart was still listing them in stock nearby so I went as fast as I could to the closest one and powerwalked my way to electronics. They had about 5 or 6 in the case so I very happily picked one up. They didn't have the extra controllers available, but I have a SNES Classic so worst case scenario I can use one of those controllers. I am going to get a case at some point and a second controller along with extension cables to remedy the laughably short cable issue!
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by starchildskiss78 View Post
    They didn't have the extra controllers available, but I have a SNES Classic so worst case scenario I can use one of those controllers. I am going to get a case at some point and a second controller along with extension cables to remedy the laughably short cable issue!
    According to the guy I talked to at GameStop, both the controller from the SNES Classic and the Wii Classic Controller will work just fine with the NES Classic. Extension cables for either will work as well. I went back to GameStop after purchasing my NES Classic, and they had a Nyko extension cable which cost $10 for one. I bought one, but may take it back if I can find a 2-pack from a different source, though it's something, at the least.
    -Adam

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

And again, I found an NES Classic relatively easily a few days ago.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I think I want that shonen jump one

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    According to the guy I talked to at GameStop, both the controller from the SNES Classic and the Wii Classic Controller will work just fine with the NES Classic. Extension cables for either will work as well. I went back to GameStop after purchasing my NES Classic, and they had a Nyko extension cable which cost $10 for one. I bought one, but may take it back if I can find a 2-pack from a different source, though it's something, at the least.
    -Adam
    There are a few others that will work as well. Nintendo has a list on their support page of supported controllers so it’s not like you need two NES classic controllers for any other reason than semi authenticity
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    There are a few others that will work as well. Nintendo has a list on their support page of supported controllers so it’s not like you need two NES classic controllers for any other reason than semi authenticity
    Yeah, I found that page. Oddly, it lists everything but the NES Classic Controller and SNES Classic Controller as only working as a player 2 controller. Guessing the start and select buttons don't map properly, for whatever reason. In any case, I bought the wired controller because a) It felt right to have a matching second controller, b) I don't have any of the other controllers mentioned on that page, and c) I don't know whether or not the wireless controllers have any latency issues.
    -Adam

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Gamestop's have been getting the solo controller in, but they are gone quickly. I picked up a couple for myself and a friend, then went to Target and got a Classic Mini for him as well.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I still don't think I'm going to bother getting one. Not with multiple real NES consoles with all my favorite real games, a Powerpak, a Super 8 converter for SNES, a modded Xbox, a modded Wii, a modded PSP, a Retron 5, an Ouya, multiple laptops with emulators - some Mac, some PC, some Linux. NES is everywhere in my home and on the go already. I just can't justify the money on the same thing when there's so many old collectible games I don't even have yet.

All I really might want is a repro of Star Fox 2 since the rom has been dumped from the SNES mini and repro makers have started selling it. It's a lot cheaper to buy this repro for my real SNES than to buy the whole SNES mini when like the NES situation I have a few real SNES systems, a Powerpak, those consoles listed above and the emulators on the laptops. And I might not even do that because the emulators might run that perfectly anyway.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I still don't think I'm going to bother getting one. Not with multiple real NES consoles with all my favorite real games, a Powerpak, a Super 8 converter for SNES, a modded Xbox, a modded Wii, a modded PSP, a Retron 5, an Ouya, multiple laptops with emulators - some Mac, some PC, some Linux. NES is everywhere in my home and on the go already. I just can't justify the money on the same thing when there's so many old collectible games I don't even have yet.

All I really might want is a repro of Star Fox 2 since the rom has been dumped from the SNES mini and repro makers have started selling it. It's a lot cheaper to buy this repro for my real SNES than to buy the whole SNES mini when like the NES situation I have a few real SNES systems, a Powerpak, those consoles listed above and the emulators on the laptops. And I might not even do that because the emulators might run that perfectly anyway.
    I bought mine because I already have a collection of "Flashback" consoles (Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, etc.) and thought the NES Mini would go nice with them. Also, I liked the ease-of-use of the dedicated console vs. having to deal with the dodgy cartridge contacts used in the toaster NES.

Like you, I have oodles of NES hardware and games, though most of the systems don't work at the moment due to the usual bent contacts and whatnot. I wouldn't mind finding a top-loader at some point, but since i don't have one, this will do for now.

Anyway, our other (not-as-)long national nightmare is over:

This time around, it was much more like what I wanted, without having to wait in line for the store to open or anything like that. While shopping at the local mall, I stopped into the GameStop to see if the clerks had any idea when the big re-release of the SNES Classic Edition might be happening. One of the clerks told me that they generally get a few of them a week, more than with the NES Classic. She then had a quick look in the back room, and lo and behold, they still had (at least) one in stock! Paid the $80, and walked out the door with my prize.

Makes me glad that I didn't buy the modified SNES Classic I saw at the MIT Swap a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't that much more expensive than retail, but I figured I'd wait until I was able to buy a brand new one at the store, and be able to decide for myself whether or not to mod it. Should be fun to compare it to the NES Classic.
    -Adam

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Unlike many of the people who bought the system, I actually wanted one to play the games on it, not re-sell it. I'm not standing outside a Best Buy at midnight with my girlfriend so I can get stabbed or go to jail when someone decides to cut in front of me. I have literally never seen either an NES or SNES Classic or sale t a store, brand new.
    Same here. Cutting in line makes me crazy. Never seen the NESC or SNESC available in a store. I was fortunate enough to snag an NESC on day 1, though. That was before anybody gave a shit about it. I love playing that thing, man. Brand new official Nintendo controller. That cord is stupidly short, though. Guess I'm too cheap to buy an extension cable. Anyway, good luck on your casual hunt.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    Same here. Cutting in line makes me crazy. Never seen the NESC or SNESC available in a store. I was fortunate enough to snag an NESC on day 1, though. That was before anybody gave a shit about it. I love playing that thing, man. Brand new official Nintendo controller. That cord is stupidly short, though. Guess I'm too cheap to buy an extension cable. Anyway, good luck on your casual hunt.
    They shouldn't be hard to find now. I stopped by the local Wal-Mart, and they had several NES Classics AND SNES Classics on the shelves. First time I've seen either one in stock at this particular store. They had three NESCs, and four SNESCs. Took nearly two years, but I'm glad they've finally become widely available.
    -Adam