Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nintendo Entertainment System Classic Edition

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Since this run of NES classic is identical to the original, I won't need one.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

What about this?

A Shōnen Jump Edition of the Famicom Mini will be released in Japan on July 7, 2018. Celebrating the 50th anniversary of Shueisha's Weekly Shōnen Jump manga magazine, the special edition will feature 20 Famicom games largely based on Shōnen Jump manga properties, including Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, and Kinnikuman.[24]

This edition of the console includes the following games:

Kinnikuman: Muscle Tag Match (1985)
    Dragon Quest (1986)
    Hokuto no Ken (1986)
    Dragon Ball: Shenlong no Nazo (1986)
    Kinnikuman: Kinniku-sei Ōi Sōdatsusen (1987)
    Saint Seiya: Ōgon Densetsu (1987)
    Captain Tsubasa (1988)
    Saint Seiya: Ōgon Densetsu Kanketsu-hen (1988)
    Sekiryūō (1989)
    Famicom Jump: Hero Retsuden (1989)
    Sakigake!! Otokojuku Shippū Ichi Gō Sei (1989)
    Ankoku Shinwa: Yamato Takeru Densetsu (1989)
    Tenchi o Kurau (1989)
    Hokuto no Ken 3: Shin Seiki Sōzō: Seiken Retsuden (1989)
    Dragon Ball 3: Goku Den (1989)
    Captain Tsubasa Vol. II: Super Striker (1990)
    Dragon Ball Z: Kyōshū! Saiyajin (1990)
    Magical Taluluto-kun FANTASTIC WORLD!! (1991)
    Famicom Jump II: Saikyō no Shichinin (1991)
    Rokudenashi Blues (1993)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NES_Cl...n_Jump_Edition

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I bought one. Controller cable is way too short. My HDMI cable is long enough that I can sit on the floor a good distance away.

Picture quality is decent enough. I use the filter. I don't like that it doesn't fill up the whole screen and they cut off the overscan on the left and right sides but beyond that the games work and there's no noticeable lag. Tiny system. Good selection of games. Most of the essentials are there. Great price. B+

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Our long national nightmare is over:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	itsaboutdamntime.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	10539

Got to the local GameStop a couple of hours before opening time, and there was no line, so I waited in my car. A hour before opening time, a couple of guys started standing near the door, so I joined them. Had a pretty good time talking with them about classic video games, and electronics in general. At 10AM, the store employees unlocked the door and let the four of us in. The guy in front of me bought one as well, so I wasn't the only person crazy enough to show up early for one of these things.

Bought the console, along with a wired controller (there was a strict limit of one item per customer; the guy in front of me tried to buy two of the wireless controllers, but they wouldn't let him get more than one, even though they had a stack on the counter). Will have to track down some extension cables for the controllers (didn't see them at the store, but I didn't think to ask, either). Tried the NES Classic out when I got home, and it works quite nicely! They even left the 'minus world' trick in SMB1.

So yeah, glad that I was finally able to find one of these things for the regular retail price after nearly two years. Glad I didn't buy one from any of the scalpers (saw one in a local-ish game store priced at $150 last year), or settle for one of the knockoffs (saw one at the MIT Swap last month priced at either $30 or $50, and someone actually bought it ). It'll go nicely with my collection of Flashback mini-consoles. No idea if I'll be able to find one of the SNES Classic Minis around here to go with it, but who knows.
    -Adam

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    PSN
    bb_hood99
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    Our long national nightmare is over:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	itsaboutdamntime.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	10539

Got to the local GameStop a couple of hours before opening time, and there was no line, so I waited in my car. A hour before opening time, a couple of guys started standing near the door, so I joined them. Had a pretty good time talking with them about classic video games, and electronics in general.
    Thats been my general experience while waiting for gamestop or toyrus to open. I get there like 30 minutes early and u just end up talking to random guys about video game stuff. So yeah often times its not really painful waiting in line for nintendo stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Thats been my general experience while waiting for gamestop or toyrus to open. I get there like 30 minutes early and u just end up talking to random guys about video game stuff. So yeah often times its not really painful waiting in line for nintendo stuff.
    Pretty sure this is the first time I've ever lined up outside a store to buy anything. I never bother with Black Friday (worked it once, not fun), and I generally depend on random chance for finding stuff. Sure, I've lined up outside of swap meets, hamfests, estate sales, etc. but that's a bit of a different situation, and I usually know several of the people in line. I wasn't sure anyone else was going to be lining up outside this store, and felt kinda silly waiting in my car two hours before the store opened, hoping that I wasn't going to have the cops called on me or something like that. Not sure I'd do it again, but yeah, it was an interesting experience.
    -Adam

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Leave home at 8:00 A.M.
    Board bus at 8:08 A.M.
    Arrive at the bus stop near GameStop at 8:58 A.M.
    Two guys are already waiting at GameStop.
    They had been there since 6 A.M.
    They had bought NES Classic Editions over at Wal*Mart first that day (1 per customer).
    The GameStop store's employee is already there, and he has unlocked the metal screen, but the door remains locked.
    The door has a flyer explaining that there were 18 NES CE's ($60 each) and 2 extra official wired controllers ($10 each). (This is in a town with a population of 9000 to give some perspective.)
    The flyer explains that there is a limit of 1 of each type of official NES hardware per customer.
    Employee explains he can't let us enter until opening at 10 A.M.
    Employee explains that there is a maximal limit of one NES CE purchase per household and one official wired controller purchase per household.
    I chat with the others customers waiting outside the store about old cartoons and video games and new indie games for classic consoles.
    We stand between their cars and I keep stepping farther back toward the east to use the shade of a nearby tree.
    A car filled with three or four people drives up, parking one or two spaces to the south.
    The two guys get nervous, not wanting to lose their places in line or chances at the purchases.
    They line up alongside the store.
    Car people stay in their car.
    Guys go back to being between their cars.
    More people show up.
    Guys form a line in the sun alongside the storefront again.
    The sun is too hot and I temporarily leave for the dollar store.
    I buy an umbrella to use as a parasol and a drink.
    I return.
    Just as I am about to open the umbrella, the store employee opens the door due to having a change of heart, letting us inside.
    The time is 9:30 A.M.
    We have to stay in the half of the store toward the front door.
    Half of the people there are there for things other than NES CE items.
    As we wait, three more people show up for NES CE's.
    A few people show up just wanting to browse the store.
    The first two guys buy their NES CE's and extra official controllers.
    The guys from the car go to buy their Call of Duty game(s).
    Guy finds out the store had a midnight launch of the game last night.
    Guy get irate, demands a discount of 15% or 25%.
    Employee asks what happened.
    Guy says he called three days ago asking about a midnight launch and says they lied, telling him it wasn't happening.
    Employee figures things out, explains he wasn't working there at that time, and that they didn't know about the midnight launch until the morning beforehand.
    Guy is still upset and indignant.
    Employee tries to calm things down, treat the situation as though the guy is half-joking, laughs a little.
    Guy looks around at the other people, kinda laughs along, calms down a little.
    Employee explains the situation, telling him corporate didn't inform them until Thursday morning.
    Guy finally accepts the situation, buys his things, leaves.
    The GameStop has lots of various unofficial wireless controllers for the NES CE.
    Remaining people who are there for NES CE's buy theirs, some with unofficial wireless controllers.
    A family shows up to buy an NES CE with an unofficial wireless controller.
    Store suddenly can't run credit cards due to the payment processor having an issue.
    Family is from three hours out-of-town, waits around hoping that the system will work again soon.
    Thankfully, they can eventually run their credit cards about ten minutes later.
    I notice that the store is having a Buy 2, Get 1 Free sale on all pre-owned (used) items.
    I notice a 50% discount sale on all clearance merchandise at GameStop (Zelda, Mega Man, Mario, a few other things with yellow price tags that have been there for a while).
    I notice a cool color-changing Sonic The Hedgehog mug.
    It is not a part of the 50% sale.
    Employee goes to change sign in the window to indicate the current numbers of NES CE's (about 9) and extra official controllers (0).
    Employee notices the sign says "per customer," not "per household," contrary to what he was told.
    I chat with employee, customers until my bus is almost there.
    I leave at 11:32 A.M.
    There are still 8 NES CE's left at GameStop.
    I board the bus at 11:39 A.M.
    I get home a little before noon.
    ...and that is my adventure from Friday.

The takeaway: a few good sales are still happening at GameStop, and there were more NES Classic Editions than I was expecting.

Remember, any Wii controller extension cable can be used with the NES Classic Edition or SNES Classic Edition. It's the same type of cable and connection that goes between a Wii remote and, for example, a Classic Controller Pro. Third-party cables like these can be bought from Amazon for about $10 for 2 of them and qualify for Amazon Prime shipping.

This also means that an NES Classic Edition controller, SNES Classic Edition controller, Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro, fighting game controllers for Wii, etc. can be used to control an NES Classic Edition or SNES Classic Edition. There's also the Hyperkin NES Controller to NES Classic Edition Adapter to use original NES controllers with NES CE wirelessly. And there is a plethora of unofficial wired and wireless controllers too.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

After two years I finally got one too but my story is abysmally boring. I just went by target yesterday morning on the way to work and they had 5-6 of then I need the case. Worst part for me and the other two people was waiting for the electronics guy to be able to unlock the case....now the controllers are apparently harder to get at the moment but since SNES classic and Wii classic controllers work with its not really a big deal at the moment.

Iím just glad Nintendo re released them
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Robocop2 For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (06-30-2018)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Funny enough, I was talking to my grandmother today, and she told me that she had bought *2* of the NES CE's for me as a surprise! I told her that I went to GameStop to buy one because she said she couldn't help with it that day. She was upset that I bought one. I told her I didn't know she was going to buy two of them so what was I supposed to do? She told me that she had some free time during Friday morning and bought them at two different Target stores in the early hours of the day (8 A.M. if I recall correctly). She said that one of the Targets got 168 of them! (This would have been near Garden Grove, California.) She lamented that I already had one. She asked how much it was, which was the same as what she paid for each. I asked her what she was going to do with them. She said she'd ask my cousin if he wanted one and she didn't know what to do with the other one. (Which is funny as he is an *ahem* "graphics enthusiast" who sold off his Xbox 360 and all of his games for an Xbox One and has no interest in anything older than current gen.) She asked if I wanted them. I said I could raffle them off at a convention. She was aghast at the idea. I told her she could send them to me if she wanted to. She asked if I was going to pay for them and the shipping. I told her no, I already had one, and I didn't want to pay, what, $120 plus $20 for shipping? She seemed forlorn. I suggested that she just return them to the stores. She, for some reason, thought that she couldn't return them. I asked her if she had opened them and if she had the receipts. She replied that no, she hadn't opened them, and she still had the receipts. So I told her, of course you can return them! For some reason, she had assumed she couldn't, like as if they were opened software. Anyway, the realization helped to cheer her up, and she decided to return them for the money.

I guess the lesson here is, "Look before you leap!"

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    PSN
    bb_hood99
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

They are currently in stock at Wal-Mart as well.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Interesting. From Siliconera:

If someone missed out on picking up a NES Classic Edition the first time around, a second chance has presented itself. Starting today, June 29, 2018, the plug-and-play system has returned to stores. You should be able to find it on both digital and physical retailers very soon for $59.99. Best Buy, GameStop and Target all have their listings up.

Both the NES Classic Edition and Super NES Classic Edition are expected to be available in stores through the end of 2018.
    If all of that is true, then places like Amazon and Wal*Mart should be getting stock of the NES and SNES CE's throughout the rest of this year. Hopefully that means that prices for new and used consoles will drop to reasonable levels. I've already noticed a real effect on the prices at places like Amazon, where what was once $250+ is now like $80.

Also of note: GameStop listings for Super NES Classic Edition - Ships by 7/6 and Nintendo NES Classic Edition - Ships by 7/13. I guess that's how GS is going to handle orders for the next round of consoles on its Web site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Interesting. From Siliconera:

(snip)

If all of that is true, then places like Amazon and Wal*Mart should be getting stock of the NES and SNES CE's throughout the rest of this year. Hopefully that means that prices for new and used consoles will drop to reasonable levels. I've already noticed a real effect on the prices at places like Amazon, where what was once $250+ is now like $80.
    Yeah, I saw that in the other article posted here. Hopefully, there will be announcements soon about GameStop getting shipments of the SNES Classic back in. I didn't ask when I bought my NES Classic, but if they're indeed still producing them, it's probably only a matter of time. I periodically checked the local GameStops throughout the past year asking about the SNES Classic Mini, and shipments (when they got them) were better than they'd been for the NES Classic, but still sparse; this past spring, one of the employees I talked to was under the impression that it might've been discontinued, since they hadn't gotten a shipment of them in some time. In any case, I'm glad that the scalpers are finally getting the screws put to 'em, albeit indirectly.
    -Adam

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    After two years I finally got one too but my story is abysmally boring. I just went by target yesterday morning on the way to work and they had 5-6 of then I need the case. Worst part for me and the other two people was waiting for the electronics guy to be able to unlock the case....now the controllers are apparently harder to get at the moment but since SNES classic and Wii classic controllers work with its not really a big deal at the moment.

Iím just glad Nintendo re released them

You and I have a similar experience! I was disappointed when they came out and were quickly out of stock. (I even tried to order them from Best Buy's website the brief time they were available again.) I originally pre-ordered one from Amazon UK but the order got cancelled because my credit union was blocking the payment and it took too long to get it sorted out. I was eating lunch Friday (around 2:15ish) and decided to check the NowInStock website just for giggles, figuring it was already sold out everywhere. I saw Walmart was still listing them in stock nearby so I went as fast as I could to the closest one and powerwalked my way to electronics. They had about 5 or 6 in the case so I very happily picked one up. They didn't have the extra controllers available, but I have a SNES Classic so worst case scenario I can use one of those controllers. I am going to get a case at some point and a second controller along with extension cables to remedy the laughably short cable issue!
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by starchildskiss78 View Post
    They didn't have the extra controllers available, but I have a SNES Classic so worst case scenario I can use one of those controllers. I am going to get a case at some point and a second controller along with extension cables to remedy the laughably short cable issue!
    According to the guy I talked to at GameStop, both the controller from the SNES Classic and the Wii Classic Controller will work just fine with the NES Classic. Extension cables for either will work as well. I went back to GameStop after purchasing my NES Classic, and they had a Nyko extension cable which cost $10 for one. I bought one, but may take it back if I can find a 2-pack from a different source, though it's something, at the least.
    -Adam

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

And again, I found an NES Classic relatively easily a few days ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I think I want that shonen jump one

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    According to the guy I talked to at GameStop, both the controller from the SNES Classic and the Wii Classic Controller will work just fine with the NES Classic. Extension cables for either will work as well. I went back to GameStop after purchasing my NES Classic, and they had a Nyko extension cable which cost $10 for one. I bought one, but may take it back if I can find a 2-pack from a different source, though it's something, at the least.
    -Adam
    There are a few others that will work as well. Nintendo has a list on their support page of supported controllers so itís not like you need two NES classic controllers for any other reason than semi authenticity
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    There are a few others that will work as well. Nintendo has a list on their support page of supported controllers so itís not like you need two NES classic controllers for any other reason than semi authenticity
    Yeah, I found that page. Oddly, it lists everything but the NES Classic Controller and SNES Classic Controller as only working as a player 2 controller. Guessing the start and select buttons don't map properly, for whatever reason. In any case, I bought the wired controller because a) It felt right to have a matching second controller, b) I don't have any of the other controllers mentioned on that page, and c) I don't know whether or not the wireless controllers have any latency issues.
    -Adam

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Gamestop's have been getting the solo controller in, but they are gone quickly. I picked up a couple for myself and a friend, then went to Target and got a Classic Mini for him as well.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    PSN
    TheGameCollector
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I still don't think I'm going to bother getting one. Not with multiple real NES consoles with all my favorite real games, a Powerpak, a Super 8 converter for SNES, a modded Xbox, a modded Wii, a modded PSP, a Retron 5, an Ouya, multiple laptops with emulators - some Mac, some PC, some Linux. NES is everywhere in my home and on the go already. I just can't justify the money on the same thing when there's so many old collectible games I don't even have yet.

All I really might want is a repro of Star Fox 2 since the rom has been dumped from the SNES mini and repro makers have started selling it. It's a lot cheaper to buy this repro for my real SNES than to buy the whole SNES mini when like the NES situation I have a few real SNES systems, a Powerpak, those consoles listed above and the emulators on the laptops. And I might not even do that because the emulators might run that perfectly anyway.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I still don't think I'm going to bother getting one. Not with multiple real NES consoles with all my favorite real games, a Powerpak, a Super 8 converter for SNES, a modded Xbox, a modded Wii, a modded PSP, a Retron 5, an Ouya, multiple laptops with emulators - some Mac, some PC, some Linux. NES is everywhere in my home and on the go already. I just can't justify the money on the same thing when there's so many old collectible games I don't even have yet.

All I really might want is a repro of Star Fox 2 since the rom has been dumped from the SNES mini and repro makers have started selling it. It's a lot cheaper to buy this repro for my real SNES than to buy the whole SNES mini when like the NES situation I have a few real SNES systems, a Powerpak, those consoles listed above and the emulators on the laptops. And I might not even do that because the emulators might run that perfectly anyway.
    I bought mine because I already have a collection of "Flashback" consoles (Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, etc.) and thought the NES Mini would go nice with them. Also, I liked the ease-of-use of the dedicated console vs. having to deal with the dodgy cartridge contacts used in the toaster NES.

Like you, I have oodles of NES hardware and games, though most of the systems don't work at the moment due to the usual bent contacts and whatnot. I wouldn't mind finding a top-loader at some point, but since i don't have one, this will do for now.

Anyway, our other (not-as-)long national nightmare is over:

This time around, it was much more like what I wanted, without having to wait in line for the store to open or anything like that. While shopping at the local mall, I stopped into the GameStop to see if the clerks had any idea when the big re-release of the SNES Classic Edition might be happening. One of the clerks told me that they generally get a few of them a week, more than with the NES Classic. She then had a quick look in the back room, and lo and behold, they still had (at least) one in stock! Paid the $80, and walked out the door with my prize.

Makes me glad that I didn't buy the modified SNES Classic I saw at the MIT Swap a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't that much more expensive than retail, but I figured I'd wait until I was able to buy a brand new one at the store, and be able to decide for myself whether or not to mod it. Should be fun to compare it to the NES Classic.
    -Adam

ServBot (Level 11) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    PSN
    tellUwut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Unlike many of the people who bought the system, I actually wanted one to play the games on it, not re-sell it. I'm not standing outside a Best Buy at midnight with my girlfriend so I can get stabbed or go to jail when someone decides to cut in front of me. I have literally never seen either an NES or SNES Classic or sale t a store, brand new.
    Same here. Cutting in line makes me crazy. Never seen the NESC or SNESC available in a store. I was fortunate enough to snag an NESC on day 1, though. That was before anybody gave a shit about it. I love playing that thing, man. Brand new official Nintendo controller. That cord is stupidly short, though. Guess I'm too cheap to buy an extension cable. Anyway, good luck on your casual hunt.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    Same here. Cutting in line makes me crazy. Never seen the NESC or SNESC available in a store. I was fortunate enough to snag an NESC on day 1, though. That was before anybody gave a shit about it. I love playing that thing, man. Brand new official Nintendo controller. That cord is stupidly short, though. Guess I'm too cheap to buy an extension cable. Anyway, good luck on your casual hunt.
    They shouldn't be hard to find now. I stopped by the local Wal-Mart, and they had several NES Classics AND SNES Classics on the shelves. First time I've seen either one in stock at this particular store. They had three NESCs, and four SNESCs. Took nearly two years, but I'm glad they've finally become widely available.
    -Adam