Thread: Nintendo Entertainment System Classic Edition

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

For the casual retrogamer, especially with some of the titles being more high dollar (Super C, Mega Man 2, etc.) this is a good deal, and something that will appeal to the gamer that just has to have everything Nintendo as well.
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I may not be the target consumer, but I think it's a good idea. They'll make a ton of money on it. As well as the Flashback Atari, Colecovision, and Intellivision line has sold, the NES has an even larger current nostalgia base to cash in on. It's likely a slam dunk financially for them.
    People from AtGames have stated that the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashback consoles didn't sell well enough to bring back. But the Sega and Atari lines keep on coming out, and there will be an Atari Flashback Portable this year, which is neat. There's also a plug-n-play from Retro-Bit coming with a bunch of arcade games on it.

The Nintendo one is going to outsell them all by a large margin. Plus, it's so cute! I have most of my favorites on Wii and 3DS (and cartridge, sigh) but I want this anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
    People from AtGames have stated that the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashback consoles didn't sell well enough to bring back. But the Sega and Atari lines keep on coming out, and there will be an Atari Flashback Portable this year, which is neat. There's also a plug-n-play from Retro-Bit coming with a bunch of arcade games on it.

The Nintendo one is going to outsell them all by a large margin. Plus, it's so cute! I have most of my favorites on Wii and 3DS (and cartridge, sigh) but I want this anyway.
    I think the Nintendo ones will be more iconic because there have been a million 2600, Intellivision,ColecoVision flashback mini console on the market for years and years along with collections of said games on all the home consoles the last 2 or 3 generations. Also Nintendo is more picky than the other IP companies who dont make any real income anymore. The Virtual Console was still a little too complicated for the masses as sad as it sounds compared to just a plug and play solution like Nintendo is releasing.

Also Sega pretty much will license anything as long as you pay them some sort of royalty. All their Genesis clones you see at the drug store are pretty much garbage and use emulation overhead programs running on a severly underpowered chip not meant for it. Its kinda sad how much Sega has whored itself out since the Dreamcast days in games and hardware.

Nintendo was charging like 50 dollars for a Mario All-Stars rom dump on a Wii Disc which was kinda insulting but the price on this seems pretty fair.
    Last edited by ReaXan; 07-15-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You're thinking of the Retrobit Generations system, strongly backed by Capcom. IF the Nintendo thing was not coming this would be the badassery of the year right there for all in one closed up gaming.
    http://retro-bit.com/generations.html

There are over 100 arcade games on it. Capcom and Iem (Kung Fu, 10 Yard Fight, Hammerin Harry) are the huge backers, most of their known and lesser forgotten/known arcade titles will be on this thing, a total beast if you want a really big arcade thing. No more of that pussy 5 games in 1 with a joystick type crap with that one. It dwarfs the NES at like 3.5 to 1 in ratio of titles. I am NOT a fan of multi system things like these in general as they've always bored me fast.

I currently only retain the Pac-Man one that looks like him that has high score saving on it called the Pac-Man connect n' play with 12 games -https://www.amazon.com/Pac-Man-88461-Connect-and-Play/dp/B008AG4TZI and I've got the 2nd final model of the Golden Tee Golf device with the roller ball which has driving practice, 4 player, 3 courses (instead of 1), and high score saving added to it.

Without any doubt in my mind I'd buy both the NES and the Retrobit device as long as both of them properly represent well what games are in there. I don't want more ATgames filthy f'n messes like the Genesis. The only thing ATGames ever did right is their closed SMS/GG handheld, I own that too, and it works right.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 07-15-2016 at 07:40 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I know we are all going on hear say but it seems to me it might be a slim down relation to original Wii hardware.

It will have HDMI, og Wii was slated to do atleast 720p until the option was patched out in the press samples.

The controller that comes with it will work on a Wii remote and I've read a few places that a Wii remote will still work on it too.

Like i say, all hear say but i could see them using up old chips in a different config with differing amount of RAM and storage than the og Wii to make these.

Wii mini was what? $100 before stopping production. No drive, less RAM/storage, smaller pcb. Could be it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah that's a possibility. I mean really how much oomph does it need to run let's say at best SNES titles if they have outward bound intent? Wii definitely, hell maybe even without the WiiOS and other baggage involved something closer to the Gamecube as this has no need for the optical drive, no need for anything better than the cheapest option storage (these days being 1-2GB of space like the Retron5 has) no internet parts, no jacks other than usb in back and their own Wii style up front. That Wii Mini was $99 at a nice profit with the drive, the big red box, the bluetooth wiimote control full setup, and what little else it had to work. If they ran some non booting to a menu barebones firmware as basic almost as like a Namco plug n' play, the VC emulator (which would explain no Castlevania 3 I believe), and just allowed just what that emulator does anyway with the hot save stating, it would fit. I don't see why with all the fluff and crap out of the way $60 wouldn't be profitable when the other was at $99 with the bigger/larger parts and chips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I have every game on the list and 4 NES systems myself, but I will still get this, and I am not even sure why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    You're thinking of the Retrobit Generations system, strongly backed by Capcom. IF the Nintendo thing was not coming this would be the badassery of the year right there for all in one closed up gaming.
    http://retro-bit.com/generations.html
    One of the games is GunSmoke, I wonder how they're going to get that one working without a rotary controller. Unless that Genesis-looking controller has a rotating D-pad. That would be pretty cool for rotary games like Heavy Barrel and Ikari Warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    I have every game on the list and 4 NES systems myself, but I will still get this, and I am not even sure why.
    It's the same with me, I keep buying Atari Flashbacks when I find them cheap, even though I have all the games on it already. I feel a compulsion to buy a new version of something I love, even though there's no point ultimately.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pikointeractive's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Jaleco Joined the Generations Party!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm satisfied with the list. It definitely looks cute and I hope sales are good to warrant an SNES version with games that are insanely priced to buy if its not on the VC

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I don't think the price is that bad considering it's $2 a game. The only thing is that it is emulation so it's more meant for people who aren't as tech savvy. Also it's stuck with the 30 games on it with no way to upgrade. At least the controller can double as a controller for use on Wii/Wii U virtual console.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Although it would be a totally redundant and pointless investment for me I will totally be picking one of these up when they're released. Besides just making it a full-size console that plays real carts it looks like Nintendo is making all the right decisions on this.

I'll be the first to admit I am totally shocked by several aspects of this. I'd have never expected all the different controller compatibility options, all of which are great. I certainly wouldn't have expected so many AAA games, especially from so many companies which seems like it would have been a licensing nightmare for anyone but Nintendo. Plus the price point totally floored me. Nintendo has never, ever been one to do bundles (SMAS excluded) and they always charge a premium for any of their first party products, just as a previous poster pointed out with the SMAS Wii release. Unlike Sega, who has devalued their own properties licensing them to any fly-by-night company and putting them in huge bundles with a tiny per-game price Nintendo continually charges an arm and a leg for any of their legacy titles. Such a low price point with virtually all the big name titles included totally shocked me. I was figuring on the usual shithouse entries of Clu-Clu Land, Urban Champion, Balloon Fight, and maybe a few other black box releases with *maybe* SMB: The Lost Levels at best. Never in a million years thought they'd include all 3 SMB titles plus everything else.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I'll probably pick one up, you never know with Nintendo. They could only produce a finite number and then never again.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

There will be no shortage of these once they're out long enough. I'll grab one after a price drop (if there is one) and the internals have been sussed out for hacking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I just had a random thought, what are the odds that the games on here are going to have the extra audio channels like some of their famicom releases?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

All they need is a NES on a chip, backed by a video scaler and memory to save the game state to.
    Anything resembling the Wii is overkill in terms of processing power.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Maybe so, and maybe so would a New3DS set of guts as well. But you would also have to consider if they did use stuff they've already developed it saves a lot of money, and if it's too powerful for 8bit, it would be just right for 16bit SNES though. Then you just need to swap out the virtual console emulator if they went that route with the one needed for the other console, press some new controllers that match it, and you're good to go. So much corner and cost cutting there it almost makes too much sense. Remember Nintendo is king of cheap and going budget on stuff so it does fit. Why R&D something new when you can use crap you already paid for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

plus if it does well and it is partially old wii hardware it would make it easy to do mini SNES and N64.
    same hardware different shell/rom set

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If that would force Nintendo to make a N64 CC, I'd be for it.
    I only got a homebrew N64-to-GC controller converter, which makes it only compatible with the Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I just had a random thought, what are the odds that the games on here are going to have the extra audio channels like some of their famicom releases?
    That would be a software problem more than a hardware one. You can mod the NES to have that extra channel the carts with special chips, but ports like The Legend of Zelda, Metroid or Castlevania III, and many more, were re-composed or re-mixed because of the limitations of the NES vs. the FDS that has an extra audio channel.

When Akumajou Densetsu was ported for the NES, Intelligent Systems did the job, like many other disk to cart ports; and the re-composed the score using techniques that made the composition comparable but in some tracks it is very clear the superiority of the chip Konami used to have the extra audio channels and the memory management (VRC6).

If they get inside the rom and make modifications to the code, it would be really great; the score of the FDS is really superior, I really love the FDS soundtrack of Zelda II.
    Last edited by eskobar; 07-27-2016 at 10:01 AM.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!