Thread: What other games are similar to Final Fantasy Adventure on Gameboy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What other games are similar to Final Fantasy Adventure on Gameboy

I'm about halfway through this game and really enjoying it. After I am through with this game I would like to play another that is like this one. It doesn't need to have rpg elements like stat levelling, so games like the original Legend of Zelda for the NES are fine too.

The systems I am looking at are NES/SNES/GB/GBA/SMS/Genesis/PCEngine.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    I like turtles

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Well, that's a big can of worms to open.

For starters, that is the original Seiken Densetsu, and has sequels, like Seiken Densetsu (Secret of Mana) 2 and 3 on SNES, and several more in the series.

Some other solid ones:

SNES:
    The Illusion of Gaia
    Terranigma
    Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Brain Lord
    Lagoon
    Road of the Paladin
    The Secret of Evermore
    Ys V
    Soul Blazer

Genesis:
    Beyond Oasis
    Crusader of Centy
    King Colossus

Master System:
    Golvellius
    Golden Axe Warrior
    Ys

PCE:
    Ys I, II, & IV
    Neutopia
    Neutopia II
    Legend of Xanadu I & II

NES:
    Zelda
    Faria
    Spiritual Warfare
    Crystalis

There are loads more, but there's a start I guess.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 07-19-2016 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

GBA has a remaster of the game called sword of mana. I have it not a fan as much of the original been trying to ditch it. Shining Soul 1&2 on GBA is fairly similar with light Diablo PC elements to it too.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Celerystalker covered most of them for the systems he mentioned. I'll also second Tanooki that Sword of Mana is pretty bad. Graphically it's great, but I'd only recommend playing it if you're ready to fall asleep, because it's gameplay is boring as hell. Not at all as good as the original. I'm getting tired just thinking about it, although that could be because it's 1AM right now also.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard about Monster House and Boktai for the GBA. They both look like fun so I'll put them on the list along with the great suggestions I've had so far from celerystalker and Tanooki.

Is the remake Sword of Mana that bad huh? Thanks for the heads up!
    I like turtles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's not bad, I just found it boring and unnecessary is all. I could never actually finish it either, best run was like 2/3 of it. They get gender PC in the start, you get to be a boy or a girl to be all inclusive and they name them I believe unlike the old where it was just how it was with you playing it. The general plot is still there, but it's a lot more long winded and overly explained all over the game with text sequences in chat boxes and stuff. The combat has been bumped up so it's more complicated, it's not as straight forward as the GB title or even really Zelda on GB or SNES either, just a slight bit too much into the unneeded category for expansion. While as beautiful and audio as nice say as SOM on SNES, it's just kind of boring. They gussied up the game beyond what was needed into a level of cosmetic, menu, and textual bloat that was not necessary and in a way diminishes the quality of the original game.

You may like it. If you want a little more complication with it so it's more on the level of SD2 or SD3 as far as foofoo goes and more to read it should be a blast.

I got it back in the day, maybe a year or two ago I got it again and tried playing but got side tracked, but I wasn't bored. I've had it sitting in a shipping bag with the manual and Nintendo official guide up for sale for awhile but I've never like strongly pushed to get rid of it either just in case. It's solid, but I'd call it a B vs the original being an A+ which I preferred over Link's Awakening.

I think it's a fair statement to say there's a reason the game sells regularly at the $10 level WITH the manual for it on ebay and that the guide is on the lower scale of 1st party Nintendo guides too ($10.)
    Last edited by Tanooki; 07-20-2016 at 07:52 AM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Oh gimme a break, the character options in Sword of Mana have nothing to do with being politically correct or "inclusive". The whole point is that there are two significant characters in the story: the male gladiator and the female descendant of the Mana clan. In the original, you can only only play through the story with the gladiator and from his perspective. In Sword of Mana, which was all about expanding upon the original in all regards, they took an important character who was only an NPC before and made her playable, giving the player the option to experience the story from two different perspectives. It's about adding depth/content/variety, not some freakin' feminist agenda. I swear, have we really come to the point that anti-feminists will bitch over the mere presence of a playable female character? Would it be better if both options were male? Even if the character had been included solely to give female players the option to play as a protagonist matching their gender, that's a bad thing now? Cuz goodness knows female gamers had so many options in that regard in the years prior to Sword of Mana, right? Why should every game default to offering only a male protagonist?

ANYWAY, another remake of Final Fantasy Adventure just recently came out called Adventures of Mana. First on mobile, but now on Vita also. If you want a faithful remake, that's the one to get. Don't worry, there are no girls with cooties to play as. It's a 3D remake, but you can literally use maps of Final Fantasy Adventure to get through the game, it's that accurate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ahh the town crier. It was a pointless addition to add fluff and the story change is minimal at best. It was just to appease to a more modern wider base and not necessary. There should have been no option, not two dudes, two girls, two its, or anything else. Many games have male leads, so what, some of the most successful ones have women, Samus and Lara Croft come to mind. Shoe horning in stuff just for the sake of fluff, politics, or unnecessary extra I see no point in. Didn't in the 90s or now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

For the record, I don't care that you play as the hero or the girl from the village of mana. The gameplay on Sword of Mana sucks. They try and make it look combo based and flashy like Legend of Mana, but fail miserably. If you attack an enemy, for a period of time afterwards they're invincible, so if you do a three hit combo with the sword for instance, the second hit is going to miss unless you purposefully delay your button press to the absolute last moment which means you'll attack and hit them for a second attack, or your character won't attack because it'll go in the delay phase of the first attack. The game is also pathetically easy.

It's like this is one of those games that's suffered because Square Enix became all about graphics. While sure, previous games in their portfolio had both great graphics and great gameplay, this game was more like a solid gold turd.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It's standard practice in game development to add new playable characters when a game is updated/ported/remade/whatever. Complaining about the heroine becoming playable in Sword of Mana would be like complaining about Street Fighter II Champion Edition making the bosses playable. And then talking as if it's some kind of political move if the new playable characters happen to be female is just an extra level of absurd. I mean, what, was it normal for Maria to be included in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood because she was in that game at launch, but when they added her as a playable character to Symphony of the Night, it was to be "inclusive"? Or should Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night only ever have had Richter and Alucard respectively because, for some unknown reason, options are bad? Additional playable characters literally cause you no harm if they're not forced upon you in any way. You can just as well choose the male gladiator in Sword of Mana and pretend that the heroine is not there as an option, never picking her. There are plenty of other things that could be complained about with Sword of Mana, but complaining about the playable character options makes no sense.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Hook, line, and sinker.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Top down style action/adventure (rpg optional)?

Some not already mentioned that come to mind

Saturn:
    Shining Wisdom
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Legend of Oasis

PSX:
    Alundra
    Blood Omen - Legacy of Kain

Gameboy:
    Rolan's Curse

I'm sure there are plenty more still.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Gameboy:
    Rolan's Curse
    I didn't add to the list because most of them were covered for the systems that he did have, but I didn't even think of Rolan's Curse. Forget the first game though, Rolan's Curse 2 is where it's at. Such an amazing game, also has multiple characters to play as. There's two girls you can play as that can heal(just poking fun at the above, no offense intended.)