Thread: Elder Scrolls Adventures Redguard - anyone know anything about it?

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

Default Elder Scrolls Adventures Redguard - anyone know anything about it?

Hey collector friends,

I just came upon an original big box copy of The Elder Scrolls Adventures Redguard at a thrift store. It is complete in box, with the manual, addendum, map, and registration card still inside. It isn't sealed, but the discs are in great condition. I don't know anything about the game other than it's going for about $75 on eBay (though I doubt those are selling).

Does anybody know anything about the big box version of this game? As far as I can tell it isn't a re-release, it's the Bethesda original release with the fold-out cover. I can post pictures if that helps too

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

What information are you looking for?

The game is sort of an Elder Scrolls spinoff, designed as more of an action-adventure without the RPG elements (There's no stat progression or anything like that). It was released between Daggerfall and Morrowind, but I believe the time frame of the game actually places it as the earliest in the series chronologically.

It was advertised as a Windows game, but it actually does run under DOS. In fact, this was one of last high-end releases that could be run under DOS, as pretty much everything had transitioned to Windows by then. The game only supports Glide for 3D acceleration, so if you want to run it on an older computer, it'll have to have a 3dfx Voodoo card... though newer computers can probably handle software rendering plenty fast enough, and there are wrappers like nGlide and dgVoodoo that can make it run on DirectX cards.

--Zero

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    What information are you looking for?

The game is sort of an Elder Scrolls spinoff, designed as more of an action-adventure without the RPG elements (There's no stat progression or anything like that). It was released between Daggerfall and Morrowind, but I believe the time frame of the game actually places it as the earliest in the series chronologically.

It was advertised as a Windows game, but it actually does run under DOS. In fact, this was one of last high-end releases that could be run under DOS, as pretty much everything had transitioned to Windows by then. The game only supports Glide for 3D acceleration, so if you want to run it on an older computer, it'll have to have a 3dfx Voodoo card... though newer computers can probably handle software rendering plenty fast enough, and there are wrappers like nGlide and dgVoodoo that can make it run on DirectX cards.

--Zero
    Hey Zero, thanks for the great response and sorry for the late reply. I guess I'm not sure what information I'm looking for. I paid $3 for it at a thrift shop.

Traditionally, I don't sell the collectible software and games that I come into possession of. However, I have very little interest in the Elder Scrolls series let alone a DOS-based game that I would have to tinker with to get in a working state. According to eBay (who I am loathe to trust these days), CiB copies have sold for ~$70 in the past couple months. Is it worth keeping? Or should I just toss it up for auction underpriced and accept my profit? Were it to sell, I would have already made back all the money I've spent on collecting this year and then some.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

If flipping it for maximum profit is your only concern here, I'd say wait a few years until they release a new Elder Scrolls game (by which I mean Elder Scrolls VI, not Skyrim HD) and ride the wave of interest that generates.

--Zero