Thread: Gamecube Component Signal (480i/p)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Tristashio's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gamecube Component Signal (480i/p)

I'm just going to be quick:

- The original Gamecube component/D-terminal cables are too few and too high in price(as most probably know)
    - There are some sites that promote the production of hardware that can support a component/HDMI(which I'm not interested in) signal. The closest I could find was: "BadAss Consoles"…however, they do not seem to have the hardware in stock…and I'm not sure when they would, there is not even a proper way to contact them(only Twitter or something like this…)
    - I want to know how difficult this hardware would be to make, I live near Akihabara(electric town) in Tokyo; have access to anything having to do with circuit boards.

some more info:

I really liked this video, they put quite a lot of effort into it; it's got a a few extra minutes for a bit of a show; but it's worth it to watch if not to familiar…in this video they stated that(I think it was the BadAss site) this BadAss site could provide 3-D printed parts to accommodate the little circuit board(which allows the 480i/p signal though the Digital Out on the Gamecube)…which was very nice to hear; however, yes…I could find no such parts, or the actual board(out of stock) on the site listed above.

Personally I'm interested in a analogue 480p output, possibly in VGA using the Wii component cables(the audio L and R are suppose to send a horizontal and vertical sync, this would be ideal; for me.

I know this is perhaps quite annoying to comment on, however, please, if there is any information that may help with getting closer to a component/VGA analogue signal from my(many others) Gamecube, please post something.

I have quite a lot of free time, I wonder, though it's probably a crazy idea, if I can't make something…perhaps start a little business; kinda' fun(it's not illegal …I'm pretty sure)..not much skill with this stuff, but I could start learning, and ..yeah'..Akihabara is bound to have most of what is needed.
    I like slate roofing..

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You are not going to be able to build your own GCN analog component output without an FPGA. If that doesn't deter you, everything you need to know should be here: https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo

Also, this should technically be in "Modern Gaming".
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or just get a Wii and a $5 component cable that way.

Come join us on Micro-64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank-you, RP, I shall check out that site…I wonder if I can do it with the little skills I have…if it's inexpensive for the parts, maybe it's fun to try…my friend said he knew someone with a "supergun"…that sounds like an expensive thing^^..anyway..I shall have a look..

Thank-you, Guntz, I have the component cables for the Wii, and know about using the Wii to play Gamecube games, it's a nice reminder, however, I do want to have a Gamecube run it's own games, there are a few benefits…though I did hear that the Wii was the the best system to ever do backward compatibility(perfect? if not, almost perfect)…apart from some of the reasons, such as using the Gameboy extension(which I may like^.^ Splinter Cell(a sensible sabotage game) was fun with it)..I would simply like to have a Gamecube at it's fullest in my home; it's such a nice console, even after dropping it off your roof, it's one of the strongest built(and cheapest surprisingly, Nintendo actually made money from selling the unit) consoles.

This site, sent me an email telling me "maybe sometime this month" to my inquiry about the board capable of splitting off an RGBHV(analogue VGA) signal to use with the Wii cables(audio R and L being for H and V)…if thats really possible, I'd be one happy person! I'm not sure about the 3-D printed parts for fitting the board into the Gamecube properly…even without them, it would be excellent. I must state, I'm a little surprised that they responded so quickly, the web-site looks somewhat abandon…^^*

…Well, I shall post any new information I may get, as it happens(-.^)
    Last edited by Tristashio; 07-21-2016 at 09:25 PM.
    I like slate roofing..

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tristashio View Post
    though I did hear that the Wii was the the best system to ever do backward compatibility(perfect? if not, almost perfect)…apart from some of the reasons, such as using the Gameboy extension(which I may like^.^ Splinter Cell(a sensible sabotage game) was fun with it)
    The Wii is compatible with the GBA link cable. The only incompatibilities would be any peripherals that connect to the expansion ports on the bottom such as the GBA Player.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RP, right, yeah; so I'd not be missing that…I mixed the Gameboy linked to the system with that extension brick…

…anyway, still like the system itself enough to get it going with the mod^^

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    The Wii is compatible with the GBA link cable. The only incompatibilities would be any peripherals that connect to the expansion ports on the bottom such as the GBA Player.
    I like slate roofing..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

…updating:

The shop contacted me again telling me the board with it's pertaining parts(not including the 3-D printed material for accessibility) would cost around 55.00 USD; and with the extra 3-D fitting pieces for a perfect looking assembly another 10 USD.

65 USD, not bad…and they told me I could get an RGBHV(VGA) signal through it; however the signal would be either 480i or p only depending on the game(luckily my VLP-VW10HT can read both)…they suggested if I wanted to force the signal to always be in progressive, I'd need a "Homebrew" hack, something like that…

I'm still interested in building my own, maybe I can copy the one I get ^^
    I like slate roofing..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank-you, Guntz, I have the component cables for the Wii, and know about using the Wii to play Gamecube games, it's a nice reminder, however, I do want to have a Gamecube run it's own games, there are a few benefits…though I did hear that the Wii was the the best system to ever do backward compatibility(perfect? if not, almost perfect)…apart from some of the reasons, such as using the Gameboy extension(which I may like^.^ Splinter Cell(a sensible sabotage game) was fun with it)..I would simply like to have a Gamecube at it's fullest in my home; it's such a nice console, even after dropping it off your roof, it's one of the strongest built(and cheapest surprisingly, Nintendo actually made money from selling the unit) consoles.
    There are several game systems with "perfect" backwards compatibility, if going by just playing the original system's games, not obscure accessories. The Wii is nothing more than an expanded Gamecube with a faster CPU. There's no inaccuracy or reduced quality involved like with software emulators, because the Wii is really just a super Gamecube.

Systems like the Genesis also have perfect backwards compatibility because it shares the same CPU (Z80) and sound hardware (PSG) and video hardware (SMS VDP mode support).

Come join us on Micro-64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, Guntz, I got it. I gave away my Wii a while ago…getting a new one would be around the same price, well..more, as the parts for this Gamecube…I wonder how the backwards compatibility is from the Wiiu to the Wii..?? I can perhaps just skip over the Wii altogether...

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    There are several game systems with "perfect" backwards compatibility, if going by just playing the original system's games, not obscure accessories. The Wii is nothing more than an expanded Gamecube with a faster CPU. There's no inaccuracy or reduced quality involved like with software emulators, because the Wii is really just a super Gamecube.

Systems like the Genesis also have perfect backwards compatibility because it shares the same CPU (Z80) and sound hardware (PSG) and video hardware (SMS VDP mode support).
    I like slate roofing..

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Genesis with the PCB or an Everdrive (since the PCB is really just a slot changer without any real hardware to it) is mostly there but not quite, there's one SMS game Genesis won't play, F-16 Fighter, also known as F-16 Fighting Falcon. No big loss, but it does mean it's not "perfect". It also won't do that whole Japanese FM soundtrack thing with compatible SMS games, again, not a big deal, especially in the west where we never got that anyway, but still keeping it from quite being perfect.

Wii, Wii U, GBC, GBA, DS, and 3DS are all really good at BC, generally they only fail on stuff that needs hardware or ports that you can't use on the newer system.

PS2 isn't quite that good, but still in the upper ranks of BC.

360 BC with the Xbox was pretty bad, IMO.

PS3, I never had official PS2 BC to try, but the PSX BC (on every PS3, not just the old ones, many people don't know this) is actually emulation, but also has problems with some of the same games PS2 had problems with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, Guntz, I got it. I gave away my Wii a while ago…getting a new one would be around the same price, well..more, as the parts for this Gamecube…I wonder how the backwards compatibility is from the Wiiu to the Wii..?? I can perhaps just skip over the Wii altogether...
    The Wii U has the core Wii chipset built-in, sometimes referred to as the Virtual Wii mode which isn't correct since it's hardware-driven backwards compatibility. Because the Wii cannot be a Wii without its Gamecube support (even if Nintendo tries to disable it in software), the Wii U also has full Gamecube support EXCEPT for expansion accessories like the GB Player and broadband adapter. The Wii U is a Wii is a Gamecube. If softmodded, the Wii U may just be Nintendo's best console ever, it can support almost every Nintendo platform ever via a combination of hardware and emulation.

Come join us on Micro-64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank-you, Blastprocessing, I got it.

Thank-you, Guntz…I found this on the internet(I believe it to be true):

"The reason it can't play GC discs natively is due to a hardware difference in the disc drive. The original Wii disc drive has a mechanism to accept both standard DVD and miniDVD sizes; this mechanism was removed in later revisions of the Wii, and transfered over to the WiiU. There's also a lack of hardware for the Gamecube's controllers and memory cards built in."

So…basically, I don't wanna' touch it…I don't really fancy the idea of modding a system(I understand it's great fun for others)…I want to play a game as it was in the best possible visual and sound the console can natively produce; the only mod I considered is this one for the Gamecube's 480p RGB signal(I seem to have almost no other choice, unless I was wealthy enough for these cables^^) I'm still a little lost about the Wii U being able to play Gamecube games; considering the above statement were true, this would mean the Wii U is hardware capable, but not software? hmmm…so once, if soft-modded' to play(read disk) the game, it actually runs off the internal hardware fully capable of the Gamecube? I wonder…

…the biggest thing I dislike is emulation(as well as video emulation an analogue signal to HDTV(emulated) gawd')…but if the Wii U isn't actually emulating anything…perhaps it's ok..I guess the question would b: how derailing is it to start-up each Gamecube game? Is the soft-mod performed once, or every time?…(sorry, this is probably on the web somewhere).

The other issue is that the original controller and memory cards cannot be used without an adapter…I wonder if any lag is induced with it…probably not..it looks smart'..still no memory card…but the virtual memory card is fine.

Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 115
Size:  4.6 KB

The Wii U has the core Wii chipset built-in, sometimes referred to as the Virtual Wii mode which isn't correct since it's hardware-driven backwards compatibility. Because the Wii cannot be a Wii without its Gamecube support (even if Nintendo tries to disable it in software), the Wii U also has full Gamecube support EXCEPT for expansion accessories like the GB Player and broadband adapter. The Wii U is a Wii is a Gamecube. If softmodded, the Wii U may just be Nintendo's best console ever, it can support almost every Nintendo platform ever via a combination of hardware and emulation.
    Last edited by Tristashio; 07-23-2016 at 06:47 AM.
    I like slate roofing..