Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When it's the only way, go digital?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

If it's digital only sure i'll buy it.Unless the game has a physical release then i will buy it that way.As of late i've been debating buying the digital release of Ys Origin for the PS4,or just wait on the physical release.Still it sucks when a game is digital only since it won't be available forever.I remember missing out on the likes of afterburner climax,kept putting it off and now it's gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Your beef is why I primarily won't buy digital games unless they're of the free to $10 range and $10 tends to push it unless you have some screwball bundle like those entire seasons of pinball arcade for 1/2 off 1-2 times a year (so they're $15) as you get 10-20 tables. I will also rack up google survey pocket change to buy stuff too on android. I don't think it is fair if the game is shit or you're fed up with it, you're stuck. Game reviewers mostly these days are a mix of fanboy and paid liars, it doesn't help get a solid feel on a game you can't return or resell if it blows. Once things go entirely digital I'm out unless you have a GoG like solution that spreads like fire (or I'll just buy from them.) Sure you're still stuck, but at least you own it, and they do those insane 50-90% off sales so it stings far less.
    On Android, you can get a refund through the Google Play store within 48 hours of purchase. That's more than enough time to see if it was worth it. Heck, that's enough time to beat a lot of android games. After 48 hours, you can always contact the developer and they can refund your purchase.

I would be very surprised if the other online marketplaces didn't have similar policies.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Then be surprised, google kind of stands out, and it is not across the board but it is developers choice. Apple, Steam, etc theyre not into giving people out 48 hour trial windows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Then be surprised, google kind of stands out, and it is not across the board but it is developers choice. Apple, Steam, etc theyre not into giving people out 48 hour trial windows.
    Well that sucks for consumers then. On the one hand though, it's abused on Google. The app I have on there got quite a bit of canceled orders and I'm sure most of them were by people wanting to play the game for free instead of simply evaluating it with any real intention of purchase. And I could have sworn it was an hour after purchase instead of 48 hours until I looked it up. I was planning on making an app that look that into account.

Edit---
    It actually looks like Steam has a pretty generous refund policy.
    http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds
    It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look.
    Apple, it sounds like you really have to fight for your case. And the others are hit or miss if you contact a customer representative(mostly miss)...but yeah, it looks like you're right, there's no official refund policy on most digital marketplaces.
    Last edited by jb143; 05-26-2017 at 01:12 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I forgot about that one on Steam, kind of have to look for it unlike google which is up front about it. Apple is like pulling teeth, and even then good luck with that. Nintendo, MS, Sony they don't have those give backs either if stuff sucks, and they're peddlers of $60 downloads too. It's why I just mainly bother with GoG or private buys, and if not that I cheap out and wait for insane sales or for android I'll take google surveys and earh free money to rack up to buy something.

If more were like Google Play and Steam with being truly up front and fair to consumers not sticking them with a total turd I'd feel far better about stuff, especially if you combine with the GoG Feature of downloading full installers just in case licenses get wonky or other stuff causes a place to go belly up as you have a backup. It's still digital, but with an insurance policy.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Yeah okay sure. good luck with that on anything past PS360.
    I was mostly talking about PC versions. There's nothing on modern consoles that interest me at all. Not a single thing. Everything good is on PC now, or portables which still use physical media. I would like to play the recent Shantae games but if they're only on consoles I probably won't get around to it. PC versions maybe eventually. I barely play games anymore as it is.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I think any more the way to go digital only is if its a free to play game. but I mean it makes more sense to me, if you decide to pay money in the game for something then that's your choice.

as I type this I realize I think I let my 75% off coupon expire for warframe platinum....shit

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If someone refuses to buy modern games that are digital-only, then they have no business playing those games. Developers, publishers, and localizers put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears, not to mention money and time, into bringing games out, even if they are digital-only, which the publisher might have had no choice on, if the game wouldn't be profitable as a physical release. People who want to play those games owe it to the publisher to compensate them for their work. It's one thing if we're talking about long-dead hardware where the games can only be bought on the secondhand market, but I thought the members of this board were better than to advocate for piracy of modern games. Stealing is stealing, and you're not entitled to play a game for free just because it's digital-only.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    If someone refuses to buy modern games that are digital-only, then they have no business playing those games. Developers, publishers, and localizers put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears, not to mention money and time, into bringing games out, even if they are digital-only, which the publisher might have had no choice on, if the game wouldn't be profitable as a physical release. People who want to play those games owe it to the publisher to compensate them for their work. It's one thing if we're talking about long-dead hardware where the games can only be bought on the secondhand market, but I thought the members of this board were better than to advocate for piracy of modern games. Stealing is stealing, and you're not entitled to play a game for free just because it's digital-only.
    I agree with this completely. I don't buy digital. However, I don't play them either unless it's co-op at a friend's house or something, never piracy. I do, however, avidly support physical releases if they come out later. Capcom Digital Collection, the Live Arcade discs, the Limbo/Trials/'Splosion Man disc, Japanese Strider... I'll gladly pay and play finally when those releases come. Otherwise, I'm perfectly content to not play them. I have plenty of physical media to play, and I'd never pirate them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to celerystalker For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (12-06-2017)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I kind of gave up recently and just went and bought the digital-only games I wanted to play. I can't justify paying insane prices for Limited Run games that are just bought up by scalpers and resold like Amiibos and NES Classic Editions. $40 extra... I'd rather pretend they don't exist. I also missed out on the Castle of Illusion remake and realized crap now if I ever want to play that I'll have to buy a whole used PS3 or Xbox 360 system that has it already installed or something just to play it. Or see if anyone in my general area has it on their system and see if I can borrow theirs in exchange for letting them borrow something of mine.

EDIT: ?!?!?! It returned to PSN and Xbox Live? Ok, maybe I'll just get it now in case it gets delisted again.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 06-30-2017 at 11:35 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickstilwell1 For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (12-05-2017)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

What happens 20 years from now when all these servers are shut down? Sit down crying because there's no way to get the game that was available on digital? And forget servers shutting down, what if the publisher pulls it from the market?

I hate digital download because it gives too much control to the game companies. Game companies do great things and all, but at the end of the day they're the customers' bitch. We bring game companies into dominance (Nintendo, Sony, Sega, Capcom, Activision, etc) and we can put them out. If people stopped buying all Nintendo products for instance they'd be out of business by Christmas.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I agree with this completely. I don't buy digital. However, I don't play them either unless it's co-op at a friend's house or something, never piracy. I do, however, avidly support physical releases if they come out later. Capcom Digital Collection, the Live Arcade discs, the Limbo/Trials/'Splosion Man disc, Japanese Strider... I'll gladly pay and play finally when those releases come. Otherwise, I'm perfectly content to not play them. I have plenty of physical media to play, and I'd never pirate them.
    This is where I am with it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have some games on Steam, but I stopped buying anything new there. I figure I'll just get my money's worth now and when servers are shut down, I can retreat to my physical media then. So what if I can't some digital game anymore?

Worst case scenario, I have no moral qualms about downloading a bunch of ROMs.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I kind of gave up recently and just went and bought the digital-only games I wanted to play. I can't justify paying insane prices for Limited Run games that are just bought up by scalpers and resold like Amiibos and NES Classic Editions. $40 extra... I'd rather pretend they don't exist. I also missed out on the Castle of Illusion remake and realized crap now if I ever want to play that I'll have to buy a whole used PS3 or Xbox 360 system that has it already installed or something just to play it. Or see if anyone in my general area has it on their system and see if I can borrow theirs in exchange for letting them borrow something of mine.

EDIT: ?!?!?! It returned to PSN and Xbox Live? Ok, maybe I'll just get it now in case it gets delisted again.
    That's what I like about physical media. Game companies can bitch all they want but they can't pull the copies off the shelves that they've already made. EA could say "we don't want anyone buying Madden 17 anymore" but there isn't shit EA can do about the millions of copies of Madden 17 out there, they can stop making new copies of Madden 17 but there's nothing they can do about the copies that have already been sold being sold on the used market.

A company shouldn't be able to say "if you didn't buy the game in 2017, you're SOL and can't ever get a copy". WHAT IF IT'S 2042 AND I WASN'T EVEN FUCKING BORN YET IN 2017? I was born in 1992, I have numerous games that were released (and even went out of production) before I was born. My oldest games were made when my dad was 8 and my mom was 6 - two cartridges for the Fairchild Channel F and the console itself, from 1976. People born today, or many years from now, should be able to go to a retro game store (or eBay, or whatever online shopping websites are popular then) and buy games made when they were born.

If someone born in 1992 can go to a retro game store or eBay in 2017 and get games from 1992 for Genesis, SNES, TurboGrafx, NES, etc, why couldn't someone born in, say, 2025 go to a retro game store or online shopping website in 2050 and get games from 2025 for whatever consoles we have then?

PC gaming is a bit different because even if the publisher takes it off line, there's probably somewhere online you can get the game if it's popular enough.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Download, not digital, all games are digital, whether on cart, disc or download onto HDD/flash.

Download is only acceptable when free, in my opinion. Like Stick of Truth included with Fractured Butthole or a pack in with console.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Digital-only things I've bought over the years- Xbox Live Arcade games, yeah they took down Marble Blast Ultra, no way to play that now. They took down Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 once they released the Arcade Pack, can't play that now. Huge waste of money- will never buy digital-only stuff again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    What happens 20 years from now when all these servers are shut down? Sit down crying because there's no way to get the game that was available on digital? And forget servers shutting down, what if the publisher pulls it from the market?

I hate digital download because it gives too much control to the game companies. Game companies do great things and all, but at the end of the day they're the customers' bitch. We bring game companies into dominance (Nintendo, Sony, Sega, Capcom, Activision, etc) and we can put them out. If people stopped buying all Nintendo products for instance they'd be out of business by Christmas.
    I get the whole thing about not liking digital games over physical, but Xbox are doing it right and they did change my mind on the topic. I hope they continue with the whole backward compatibility moving forward with all future systems like they are doing right now, its crazy that I can pop in my Crimson skies disc bought in 2001 and play it upscaled 9x on my one X , without any stupid fees! And most of all the games I bought digitally (and physically) on 360 i can also play on my Xbox one, and some even feature 4k upgrades, no need to pay for new features and they keep my digital purchases relevant and alive for quite a while. Also tp the ones buying physical games to be future proof on xbox and playstation, day 1 without all the patches a lot are unplayable, and that sucks.
    Last edited by PreZZ; 12-30-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorneorune View Post
    Rondo of Blood, SotN
    Shining Force 1, 2
    Phantasy Star 4
    With these games you can atleast purchase them in a collection instead of having to resort purchasing digital releases.

Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles you're getting a better version than the original Rondo of Blood that also includes Rondo of Blood and SotN. You don't get the original voice acting with SotN though, so if that means a lot to you then you're missing that, but it does include some extras that make it the best version beyond that, including a Maria mode where Maria actually plays similar to her Rondo of Blood self.

Shining Force 1, 2, and Phantasy Star 4 are all on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

Collection or not, owning some kind of retail version is better than digital imo. One of the biggest reasons I've purchased the SNES Classic was to own an official version of Earthbound. It might not be the cartridge, but considering the SNES Classic isn't meant to have any content other than the 21 games, it's as close to a retail release as you can get than buying the game off Ebay.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I really wish there would be way to backup digital games on a separate media for the time when servers no longer offer them. That way, they don't get lost on time.

For example, the PS Vita. I love how it is possible to backup the games on a PC and can be retrieved at a future date. That way, I can slowly back up ally digital games and, if I want to play a game I legally purchased that is no longer around on PSN, I can just go to the backup and get it from there. I can't do that on a PS3, and I fear that Sony will eventually stop online access and even online PSN access to all my digital games. And I have over 1,500 PS3 digital items.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Agreed, it's why I don't buy stuff from digital stores that costs more than $5 usually $10 max in some cases because they come with an expiration date and really aren't owned. The thought of all those losses behind those closed off systems is just sad.