Thread: GOTD 7/25/2016: Mega Man 3 (Tiger)

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Default GOTD 7/25/2016: Mega Man 3 (Tiger)

Mega Man 3 handheld electronic game from TIGER. This here is the real-deal. Hardcore Mega Man fans know what Im talking about; this is one of THE BEST Mega Man games EVER MADE!!! Just kidding. Its a crappy Tiger game loosely based on Mega Man 3.

Ok so the first thing you do is pop in the batteries. As soon as you insert the batteries, the game makes noise. All tiger games do this. Before you can even turn the thing over in your hands its already making noise.

So the game starts, and you get to choose which stage to begin with. Your choices are Snakeman, Gemini Man, Needle Man, Shadow Man, Spark Man, and Magnet Man. Top Man and Hard Man diddn't make the cut in this game.. which is strange because Top Man is featured on the front of the game (top left corner next to Rush).
    Each level is basically the same. Little birds fly at you. You have to shoot the birds when they are right below your gun.. it makes sense because its a Tiger game. There are also spikes on the floor which seem impossible to jump over, and to get over them you have to use the Rush Jet (YES! Rush is in this game!!). There are also areas where you have to use Rush Coil and the Rush Marine adapters as well. When you are in the Rush Marine, you basically just stay in the top left corner for about 15 seconds.. nothing really happens except some fish-thingies seems to swim by you. Each Stage seems to have one additional enemy besides the birds. There is a cat, a snake, and some type of blob thing which I think is the Rock Monster. Also your basic shot weapon stops working when you run out of weapon energy, which is stupid. Once you beat the robot bosses you get a weapon upgrade. So yeah, its Mega Man 3 by Tiger. Its not a great game but it is alright for a Tiger handheld. Great soundtrack also; beep-beeep-BEEP-beeep-beep.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

As much as I hate to admit it, I love this one. Had it as a kid and recently repurchased it on eBay. As far as Tiger handhelds go, I think it's top notch. There are many far crappier 'games' out there from Tiger. Yes, the sound is pathetic, but I still enjoy the hell out of it for a few stages here and there.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
    As much as I hate to admit it, I love this one. Had it as a kid and recently repurchased it on eBay. As far as Tiger handhelds go, I think it's top notch. There are many far crappier 'games' out there from Tiger. Yes, the sound is pathetic, but I still enjoy the hell out of it for a few stages here and there.
    Yeah I guess its pretty good for a Tiger game. There are many crappier Tiger games, I agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm kind of a glutton for punishment with LCD games, never did have this one, but I've had, and earlier this year got back Mega Man II. That one has I think everyone, but it can be very brutal because any gun (even your default) can run out of shots so you can end up being target practice. It plays fair though, same general weak Tiger pattern to attack or dodge in spots, but it works well, and all the right weaknesses are there for the masters. Funny thing is I ended up bagging it with Battletoads, never wanted that one, but it ended up being pretty solid and as faithful as one could get to the original material surprisingly enough. I also have After Burner(handheld), Attack from Mars pinball(rare), Baseball (my first as a kid), Castlevania II, Karnov, PinBot pinball(semi-rare but cheap), Street Fighter II and Sub Wars (super sound, fun game.) I've had others such as the terrible Sonic 1 and 3 titles, also Ninja Gaiden which I wish I kept, and have had Gauntlet in the past too, probably others I"m forgetting. CV+Karnov+Baseball I have manuals for as well. Most my handheld games are LCD and Tiger, but I have a few others too.

I rarely use them to be honest, but when I get in the mood, they're so stupid and terrible in ways they're fun.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've not played mine for ages, I mainly just got them to add them to my Mega Man collection. Its ok, but a far cry from the awesome console games. I assume Top Man was removed because whoever was programming the game realised how incredibly lame the character was and decided it wasn't worth the time to code him. Pity about Hard Man though, I always enjoyed fighting him. At least Shadow Man made it in, I'm rather fond of that guy!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Hey sweet, i had this one!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)