Thread: Doom (2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Doom (2016)

Is anyone else really enjoying this?

After Doom 3 if you had told me that my favorite game of 2016 so far was going to be this I would have laughed. It is fast, challenging, runs beautifully on a PC and isn't entirely multiplayer-centric. It plays how I remember the original Doom playing the first time I saw it (if that makes any sense to anyone) - I can't remember playing a game and flat out enjoying it so much for years.

It is the perfect tonic to all the turgid multiplayer 'aim down the sights at the man behind the crate' clones that have plagued shelves recently. Everything seems to be in a constant state of motion - the enemies climb and dodge and weave and so you have to too - each encounter plays out differently. It's a bit like Rage on steroids.

I liked both Hard Reset and Shadow Warrior - they were OK, but it is the enemies that make Doom stand head and shoulders above them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I was but then I hit a wall with it and just quit playing and moved on to something else. I had been finding it mostly enjoyable, but that first hell stage, the back end (?) of it where you hop a couple floating bits of rock to an area that spawns waves of demons, fatties, revenants and barons. I just run out of ammo every time. I only learned later you NEED to use the chainsaw but damnit that's suicide running down there. I don't appreciate the game having a rotten lame gimmick like that needing to use the old meat shredder as a requirement instead of a gory fun perk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I know exactly what you're talking about and I never ran out of ammo. you need to keep moving and keep shooting, landing hits and collecting the power ups all around. Also remember that defeated enemies themselves drop ammo. During enemy gauntlets, I only ever use the chainsaw once, if that. You definetely don't require it. If you need help, watch some youtube videos and copy what they do.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I know exactly what you're talking about and I never ran out of ammo.
    Yeah I'm the same as SM - I found playing (even more) aggressively did the trick, but each to their own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I was but then I hit a wall with it and just quit playing and moved on to something else. I had been finding it mostly enjoyable, but that first hell stage, the back end (?) of it where you hop a couple floating bits of rock to an area that spawns waves of demons, fatties, revenants and barons. I just run out of ammo every time. I only learned later you NEED to use the chainsaw but damnit that's suicide running down there. I don't appreciate the game having a rotten lame gimmick like that needing to use the old meat shredder as a requirement instead of a gory fun perk.
    You just need to do the execution move every time you kill an ennemy to get ammo and health, you.re probably just gunning till they drop!!! lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm not super aggressive, I never was in any of the 3 previous DOOMs or one offs like DOOM64. I play more tactical, but I'll still spray the crap out of a target or room of targets and have never had to worry about my clip running dry that's why the whole mess seems unreasonable to me. Run in and die, or stay out of range, run out of ammo, die anyway because you're forced to run in and go chainsaw happy to get massive ammo drops -- seems like a bad design choice to ramp up peoples adrenaline high playing the game. I'm well aware of and often do do the execution move, but what space I'm speaking of, that's really not practical trying to do such a thing while you have 2 barons kicking your ass not to mention the other crap running around shooting at you too. I had no problems with the game to that point, and got fed up dying a dozen or so times and never went back even after trying to meddle with that chainsaw. I never was big on using or enjoying that optional 'gun' in the game since the original but I would seek it out just to have it to screw with lone targets for fun now and again, but I'd never pull it out in a busy room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

2:00 am on a Wednesday and I just finished this f**king game. I've never been so frustrated, elated, angry, giddy at a game before - this game is hard. HARD. And mostly, as has been posted here, because ID tried to be cute by putting the bare minimum of ammo in these levels, then just when you think you killed the last guy in a wave, three more giants spawn and kill you, sending you ALL the way back to the beginning of the fight. It was crazy, sometimes fun, but mostly frustrating to play and it literally became a quest just to say I finished it. Started it last weekend while the wife was away with her friends, and about 25 play hours later I'm done.

Goodnight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow love that post. I went off on a tangent a bit, but that there succinctly nails it right on the nose. It's an overly hard game (on any difficulty) due to the way they designed the handling of ammunition, nothing more, nothing less. I was haven't a blast with it up until I rage quit the damn game not long after it came out. It felt like DOOM, then it felt like a cheap forced mechanics game having to use the chainsaw to get proper ammo drop amounts or die. People will say use the glory kills, guess what, I almost always did, if I could...I wouldn't advise it in a mob, you'll get wrecked moving in for it, while doing it, or just after. Kind of pointless dying for a few extra rounds of ammo while any past DOOM title left plenty of it lying around the stage either in plain sight or hiding in some corner or false wall/door. On the plus though, it's not DOOM3 with the respawning pop scare of stupidity every 15 seconds even in areas you just cleared.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

I'm still waiting to get back the copy I lent to a friend since I got it just before I went away, but it sounds like it's like Ninja Gaiden with guns and (more) demons lol.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

hell of a game and i scored mine for 20 bucks i am jdollatari on live lets play