Thread: Is it true that 2D Capcom fighters do better on SEGA consoles??

Insert Coin (Level 0) PatBoy785's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is it true that 2D Capcom fighters do better on SEGA consoles??

I read on forums trying to find which version of the fighting game I should get it on, and many people brag about how 2D fighting games do better on SEGA systems than other systems. For example a lot of people say Marvel vs Capcom 2 does better on Dreamcast than PS2 (version I own BTW) and original Xbox versions, and people say how the Street Fighter Alpha (once again also have for PS2) games do better on Sega Saturn than their PlayStation counterparts, Is that true??

I mean I don't hate SEGA (I agree that their Saturn controller does look better for fighting games), I was just wondering since I myself was debating on whether it's worth getting a Saturn or not (I do want to try out some SEGA exclusive games, the fighting games, and Saturn Bomberman, but at the same time not worth my time because my most wanted games for the system list isn't too big, most of the games for that system is also on PSOne, and their games are too expensive and I could understand why since the Saturn didn't do too well outside of Japan).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know for sure it's better for the PS1/Saturn generation. The Saturn releases for (most? all?) of them used the expansion slot for more RAM. This allowed for a much smoother performance, and kept things that the PS1 nixed like proper tag-teaming for the Vs. series.
    Looking for:
    Chūka Taisen (Cloud Master) manuals
    Monon Color + games

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I think the comparison is usually true when the consoles are contemporaries--comparing PS1 to Saturn, the Saturn usually wins, but PS 2 to Saturn (Street Fighter Alpha)? I'm pretty sure the PS2 anthology for those is the definitive release.

But for others I'm not sure. Like I'm not sure if Marvel vs Capcom 2 is really superior on Dreamcast, but I've only played the PS2 version.

Also like others said the Saturn ones need a RAM cart usually, which means either you need a modded Saturn or an import one since many of these are Japan-only (using a Pro-Action-Replay might not be an option, and lots of Saturn enthusiasts are against that anyway since supposedly it degrades the cart slot)

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by PatBoy785 View Post
    I read on forums trying to find which version of the fighting game I should get it on, and many people brag about how 2D fighting games do better on SEGA systems than other systems. For example a lot of people say Marvel vs Capcom 2 does better on Dreamcast than PS2 (version I own BTW) and original Xbox versions, and people say how the Street Fighter Alpha (once again also have for PS2) games do better on Sega Saturn than their PlayStation counterparts, Is that true??

I mean I don't hate SEGA (I agree that their Saturn controller does look better for fighting games), I was just wondering since I myself was debating on whether it's worth getting a Saturn or not (I do want to try out some SEGA exclusive games, the fighting games, and Saturn Bomberman, but at the same time not worth my time because my most wanted games for the system list isn't too big, most of the games for that system is also on PSOne, and their games are too expensive and I could understand why since the Saturn didn't do too well outside of Japan).
    Regarding Marvel v Capcom 2, the Dreamcast version is good but the XBOX version is better. The PS2 version of the game is not fantastic; the Dreamcast & XBOX versions are the ones to own.

A Saturn is definitly worth owning. The Capcom fighters are way better on Saturn over PS1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I've read in the past that there are resolution issues with some of the ports on say Dreamcast or PS2. iirc the Saturn has a closer or identical (?) screen resolution to the Capcom arcade version. Whereas the Deamcast graphics are redrawn or stretched or compressed or something.
    You'll have to do some more research to find out the details on that issue, it's certainly been discussed repeatedly in many forums over the years. Or maybe we'll get lucky and someone here knows more about it.

And don't write off the Saturn under a misconception that "most of it's games are also on PS1" there are plenty fun and unique exclusives on Saturn.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 08-12-2016 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Regarding Marvel v Capcom 2, the Dreamcast version is good but the XBOX version is better. The PS2 version of the game is not fantastic; the Dreamcast & XBOX versions are the ones to own.

A Saturn is definitly worth owning. The Capcom fighters are way better on Saturn over PS1.
    I could understand some reasons 2D fighting games do better on Dreamcast & Saturn..but...The original XBOX version?? I wonder what makes it better on XBOX? Is it because of the XBOX's hard drive? I've seen the reviews for that version and it was lower than the other versions (TBH I never played MvC2 on the original XBOX myself so I don't really have an opinion of it, even though I use to own the console like 10 years ago but I only owned the crappy titles on there).

I've read in the past that there are resolution issues with some of the ports on say Dreamcast or PS2. iirc the Saturn has a closer or identical (?) screen resolution to the Capcom arcade version. Whereas the Deamcast graphics are redrawn or stretched or compressed or something.
    You'll have to do some more research to find out the details on that issue, it's certainly been discussed repeatedly in many forums over the years. Or maybe we'll get lucky and someone here knows more about it.
    How about when you try to put your TV in 4:3? Does it still make the game look the same??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I could understand some reasons 2D fighting games do better on Dreamcast & Saturn..but...The original XBOX version?? I wonder what makes it better on XBOX? Is it because of the XBOX's hard drive? I've seen the reviews for that version and it was lower than the other versions (TBH I never played MvC2 on the original XBOX myself so I don't really have an opinion of it, even though I use to own the console like 10 years ago but I only owned the crappy titles on there).

I did a quick google search and someone posted this somewhere else:
    "The patch brought the PSN/XBLA versions closer to the DC version, but to my knowledge there are still a few little things that are slightly off (timing on ROM, for example).

The DC is a perfect port of the Arcade game. The PS2/Xbox versions had missing frames of animation, PS2 sprites were smaller (throws off combos), colors and sounds were off, added glitches and freezes, counters were no longer safe and a whole slew of other things that I've forgotten since nobody bothered to ask this question between 2004 and 2009.

The DC is still the best version, though I think the standard is going to move to the PSN/XBLA versions due to the age of the old hardware and accessibility of the new."

Maybe the DC is the best version, I remember years ago playing the XBOX version and thinking it was a little better than the DC version. Ive spent the most time playing the DC version.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

If you like 2D fighters, a Saturn is a no brainer. Aside from superior Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Marvel games, etc., you get stuff like Groove on Fight, Cyberbots, Dark Legend, Golden Axe: The Duel, etc. Good stuff.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I've learned the Saturn has an extra chip specifically for 2D graphics. Which is why the majority of 2D games look better then the PlayStation, not just Capcom fighters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I think the comparison is usually true when the consoles are contemporaries--comparing PS1 to Saturn, the Saturn usually wins, but PS 2 to Saturn (Street Fighter Alpha)? I'm pretty sure the PS2 anthology for those is the definitive release.

But for others I'm not sure. Like I'm not sure if Marvel vs Capcom 2 is really superior on Dreamcast, but I've only played the PS2 version.

Also like others said the Saturn ones need a RAM cart usually, which means either you need a modded Saturn or an import one since many of these are Japan-only (using a Pro-Action-Replay might not be an option, and lots of Saturn enthusiasts are against that anyway since supposedly it degrades the cart slot)
    The PAR won't degrade the slot so long as you don't repeatedly pull it out and put it back in, it opens up the import world for those of us who only own a US Saturn and want to play Japanese titles. Other than 3 games (the best being KoF 95, which requires it's own ROM cart. Cart swapping is a no-no in my book, the other 2 is In the Hunt, and a Ultraman title), every other import should play fine. The latest version of the Action Replay Plus 4 in 1 actually plays Capcom games just fine as it runs 4MB (SF Zero 3, Vampire Savior, Marvel SH Vs Capcom, X-Men Vs Street Fighter, Pocket Fighter), and can run SNK stuff just fine that requires 1 MB of memory (Metal Slug, KoF 96 and 97, Sam Sho 3 and 4, etc). The US side of the Saturn is just plain dry on a lot of great fighting games, and other arcade ports.
    Last edited by Bloodreign; 08-29-2016 at 06:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodreign View Post
    The PAR won't degrade the slot so long as you don't repeatedly pull it out and put it back in, it opens up the import world for those of us who only own a US Saturn and want to play Japanese titles. Other than 3 games (the best being KoF 95, which requires it's own ROM cart. Cart swapping is a no-no in my book, the other 2 is In the Hunt, and a Ultraman title), every other import should play fine. The latest version of the Action Replay Plus 4 in 1 actually plays Capcom games just fine as it runs 4MB (SF Zero 3, Vampire Savior, Marvel SH Vs Capcom, X-Men Vs Street Fighter, Pocket Fighter), and can run SNK stuff just fine that requires 1 MB of memory (Metal Slug, KoF 96 and 97, Sam Sho 3 and 4, etc). The US side of the Saturn is just plain dry on a lot of great fighting games, and other arcade ports.
    Yeah the PAR wont cause damage; unless I guess if you move it around alot. I have used the same Saturn with a PAR for the last 12 years or so, no problems. You can also use a Japanese saturn with a regular ram cart. This would probably be the best option considering you wont have to sit through the 2 PAR startup screens each time (super annoying, especially if the Saturn battery is dead, then its 4 screens).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For Street Fighter 2 Turbo, here is a really nice comparison of the 16 bit ports: http://retro-sanctuary.com/compariso...20Fighter.html

For Saturn vs PS1, it's really no contest. The Saturn ports of Capcom fighters are legendary in the fighting game community.

When it comes to Marvel vs Capcom 2, the game uses the Naomi arcade, and the Dreamcast is a weaker version of Naomi. If the question is about how accurate the port is, well it doesn't get more accurate than the Dreamcast version. But being arcade accurate doesn't always make something better, so it's possible that the Xbox version is actually the smoothest version of the game. For the XBLA/PSN release of MvC2(now discontinued, unfortunately), they actually used the Dreamcast port as the base for the game. I'm sure they did this because the MvC2 community holds the DC port in the highest regard, as it is the most arcade accurate.

I believe the Street Fighter 3: Third Strike port on XBLA/PSN was actually based on the PS2 port. I have no idea why though. I do know that the Dreamcast version of the game is the worst port because they rebalanced some things. I've also heard that it has more input lag, but I haven't played it so I can't say whether or not that is true. I don't know anything about the Xbox port either. Right now the best port of 3S is on XBLA/PSN because it has stellar online play. I'm guessing the same is true for Darkstalkers as well. It would be true for MvC if it hadn't been discontinued.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Thank you guys for giving out your opinions on whether or not Capcom 2D fighters do better on Sega hardware. Today (earlier) my Sega Saturn came in the mail that I won at an eBay auction for $30 (lucky me), though I need to get the power adapter, Action Replay, (possibly a new battery depending on whether it's dead or not), and controller then I'm ready to go. I'll probably look into these fighters or any other Saturn exclusive if I find them for a cheaper price at the moment.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    I did a quick google search and someone posted this somewhere else:
    "The patch brought the PSN/XBLA versions closer to the DC version, but to my knowledge there are still a few little things that are slightly off (timing on ROM, for example).

The DC is a perfect port of the Arcade game. The PS2/Xbox versions had missing frames of animation, PS2 sprites were smaller (throws off combos), colors and sounds were off, added glitches and freezes, counters were no longer safe and a whole slew of other things that I've forgotten since nobody bothered to ask this question between 2004 and 2009.

The DC is still the best version, though I think the standard is going to move to the PSN/XBLA versions due to the age of the old hardware and accessibility of the new."

Maybe the DC is the best version, I remember years ago playing the XBOX version and thinking it was a little better than the DC version. Ive spent the most time playing the DC version.
    This "someone" who posted it somewhere else, wasn't Nick Rox was it? Some of "someone's" problems sound like blue shadows type "problems"

Thank you guys for giving out your opinions on whether or not Capcom 2D fighters do better on Sega hardware. Today (earlier) my Sega Saturn came in the mail that I won at an eBay auction for $30 (lucky me), though I need to get the power adapter, Action Replay, (possibly a new battery depending on whether it's dead or not), and controller then I'm ready to go. I'll probably look into these fighters or any other Saturn exclusive if I find them for a cheaper price at the moment.
    Buy a few batteries, if it's not dead already, it soon will be, they don't last very long . If the AR you're using lets you directly save to it, do that or you'll lose your saves when the battery goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

AFAIK Action Replay is not a substitute for a backup RAM cart. Official memory cards allow games to save and load during gameplay, even if the data is larger than Saturn's entire internal RAM (namely Dezaemon 2).
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If youre speaking of that 4Mplus action replay or whatever it was for the Saturn speak for yourself it worked excellent when I had it for saving, the ram for games usingit, hot saves I think too. It was essential when playing both my japanese and american stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    If youre speaking of that 4Mplus action replay or whatever it was for the Saturn speak for yourself it worked excellent when I had it for saving, the ram for games usingit, hot saves I think too. It was essential when playing both my japanese and american stuff.
    I'm fine with being corrected. Hot saves are awesome news to me.
    I was just describing how I believe save files work on action replay: one has to exit the game, then use a menu to copy the save from the console to the cartridge.
    Lum fan.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    I'm fine with being corrected. Hot saves are awesome news to me.
    I was just describing how I believe save files work on action replay: one has to exit the game, then use a menu to copy the save from the console to the cartridge.
    Thats how older ones worked, but they indeed have some later versions that work just like a memory card for saving direct.