Thread: JVC X'Eye Not Reading Discs (Almost)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default JVC X'Eye Not Reading Discs (Almost)

So my X'Eye has been getting worse. First it was slow to read discs, now almost not at all. I replaced the laser and I'm having the exact same problem. It plays some music discs, but not all. It started to load a game, but gave me endless disc read errors.

I've adjusted the yellow pot on the CD laser to just about every position and I also adjusted all the pots on the mother board, even going so far as to look up pictures of the insides to get a good idea of factory pot positions. It seems to behave differently no every time I turn it on.

Any ideas??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cambot View Post
    So my X'Eye has been getting worse. First it was slow to read discs, now almost not at all. I replaced the laser and I'm having the exact same problem. It plays some music discs, but not all. It started to load a game, but gave me endless disc read errors.

I've adjusted the yellow pot on the CD laser to just about every position and I also adjusted all the pots on the mother board, even going so far as to look up pictures of the insides to get a good idea of factory pot positions. It seems to behave differently no every time I turn it on.

Any ideas??
    Probably the drive is not getting enough power to work as it was intended. You need to check capacitors to discard a lack of power.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking, too. I ordered the re-cap kit from Console5 and will be doing my first re-cap job. Wish me luck. I've done very little soldering since high school (90s) other than to replace cartridge batteries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by Cambot View Post

Any ideas??
    You likely just made the problem worse, to properly tune a laser you need to have a reference to compare an oscope output of as well as a disc for calibration. Simply playing around with output power is generally not a good idea even if guides are prevalent and the majority of people feel it is a magic fix.

Recapping the thing is a good start and maybe replacing the laser another. X'EYEs are pretty nasty when it comes to fixing problems.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?