Thread: WTB: Game Boy Advance with AGS 101 mod.

Strawberry (Level 2) [-Sentinel-]'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default WTB: Game Boy Advance with AGS 101 mod.

Hello guys.
    I'm looking for a Game Boy Advance with the AGS 101 mod. If possible, the glacier color one.
    I know there are sellers on eBay selling them, but I'm trying to find a better place.
    If you have one for sale, please send me a private message. Item must be shipped to Canada and payment will be send through PayPal.

Thanks!
    PSN ID: rodolfocm
    3DS FC: 1375-7284-4033

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't have one, but you're doing it right if you can't do it yourself. I'd love another but I don't have the tools to shape the plastic end of it, the rest I can handle, and because of that the one I had cracked after little time.

Your best best, watch ebay like a hawk for stupidly low listed BINs specifically for broken/parts only listed Gameboy Advance SP. Look at each one, find one that isn't smart enough to be listed as the 101 by color ID'ing it and being fast on the trigger. Maybe you could get a screen in a busted unit for like $20? (Far better than full price on one even in so-so shape.) The ribbon cable needed is like $10, and you can buy a GBA original for not much money as they're not desirable.

Get the parts, find someone to do the work, better than the BIN pushing crooks on ebay throwing them up there for like $140. I've seen them at open auction usually go for just about $100, which isn't too bad given they had to buy all the parts second hand anyway first, clean them up, do the time consuming work of the shell, basic soldering and screen placement in a clean space to avoid dust/scratches. If you could bag one for no more than $100 I'd do that because saving $20-30 at best buying the parts yourself to pay someone plus shipping both ways won't do you any favors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I don't have one, but you're doing it right if you can't do it yourself. I'd love another but I don't have the tools to shape the plastic end of it, the rest I can handle, and because of that the one I had cracked after little time.

Your best best, watch ebay like a hawk for stupidly low listed BINs specifically for broken/parts only listed Gameboy Advance SP. Look at each one, find one that isn't smart enough to be listed as the 101 by color ID'ing it and being fast on the trigger. Maybe you could get a screen in a busted unit for like $20? (Far better than full price on one even in so-so shape.) The ribbon cable needed is like $10, and you can buy a GBA original for not much money as they're not desirable.

Get the parts, find someone to do the work, better than the BIN pushing crooks on ebay throwing them up there for like $140. I've seen them at open auction usually go for just about $100, which isn't too bad given they had to buy all the parts second hand anyway first, clean them up, do the time consuming work of the shell, basic soldering and screen placement in a clean space to avoid dust/scratches. If you could bag one for no more than $100 I'd do that because saving $20-30 at best buying the parts yourself to pay someone plus shipping both ways won't do you any favors.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I can't do any soldering and stuff like this, so making the mod myself is out of question. And I don't think that buying all the parts and then looking for someone (and pay) to do it is worth the hassle. I guess I'll just few extra bucks in and buy a ready one, made by someone that already has experience on it. I found some on eBay for 180$. Maybe I can find one there for a better price, I will look for it. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A realistic price that isn't you being screwed is $100+shipping to $125 shipped. $175 seems to be a US based going rate from a known shmuck I have no faith in who couldn't get a simple GBC frontlight kit install right twice in a row, he has mario and luigi on his little picture in the ebay listing of everything. I'd consider if you want it sooner than later $140shipped where to top out at. Just ebay search 'gba back lit mod' and you'll see, sort by lowest to highest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A realistic price that isn't you being screwed is $100+shipping to $125 shipped. $175 seems to be a US based going rate from a known shmuck I have no faith in who couldn't get a simple GBC frontlight kit install right twice in a row, he has mario and luigi on his little picture in the ebay listing of everything. I'd consider if you want it sooner than later $140shipped where to top out at. Just ebay search 'gba back lit mod' and you'll see, sort by lowest to highest.
    That's the seller. I can't find other seller though. :-(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

He's somewhat incompetent and he won't accept responsibility for his work. The 2 GBC's I got with the front lit panel and LOCA applied were a mess. The first one had spider veins all around the fringe of the bottom and a little up the sides...sent it back. Second one came, still there, far slighter but all around and the screen was foggy like too little loca was used so it didn't adhere right.

He blamed the weather, blamed the sun hitting it on my doorstep before I got it in the house, wondered if I did something possibly -- grumbled some, then just refunded me and wanted nothing more to do with fixing or replacing the problem. Buyer beware potentially. He may just be a moron with LOCA and fine on the rest, but he does overcharge and always puts a 'sale' up to look like you're getting a deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He's somewhat incompetent and he won't accept responsibility for his work. The 2 GBC's I got with the front lit panel and LOCA applied were a mess. The first one had spider veins all around the fringe of the bottom and a little up the sides...sent it back. Second one came, still there, far slighter but all around and the screen was foggy like too little loca was used so it didn't adhere right.

He blamed the weather, blamed the sun hitting it on my doorstep before I got it in the house, wondered if I did something possibly -- grumbled some, then just refunded me and wanted nothing more to do with fixing or replacing the problem. Buyer beware potentially. He may just be a moron with LOCA and fine on the rest, but he does overcharge and always puts a 'sale' up to look like you're getting a deal.
    Ok, thanks for the warn. I will think carefully about this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Just a thought if the shell color isn't a sticking point: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Backlit-GBA-...oAAOSwU-pXr1YI

Starts at $85, BIN at $150 -- comes with 6 games of mixed quality. You could sell the games and get back probably $25 off them. Used but lightly, not like those 'new' ones really are anyway as they're all used GUTS with a new chinese shell on it anyway. Figure you bid $140 on it before it ends, then deduct the price of the games you would sell to get some of that back to save some money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a thought if the shell color isn't a sticking point: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Backlit-GBA-...oAAOSwU-pXr1YI

Starts at $85, BIN at $150 -- comes with 6 games of mixed quality. You could sell the games and get back probably $25 off them. Used but lightly, not like those 'new' ones really are anyway as they're all used GUTS with a new chinese shell on it anyway. Figure you bid $140 on it before it ends, then deduct the price of the games you would sell to get some of that back to save some money.
    This one doesn't ship to Canada.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a red one. Slightly used but in real good shape.

I would let it go for $100 + actual shipping to you.