Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 181 to 193 of 193

Thread: The official Nintendo Switch thread

  1. #181
    Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,442
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

    Default

    I'd take it another level of separation and assert that the design insinuates Farsi/Persian aesthetic (which ties in with what those dudes at the horse stables tend to wear) while the Skyrim shield is Celtic inspired.

    Regardless yes the game rips off Skyrim in so many ways it's almost shameless. But damn this is probably the best Zelda ever.

  2. #182
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Zap!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    2,380
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    Regardless yes the game rips off Skyrim in so many ways it's almost shameless.
    Ironically, Skyrim and Skyward Sword both came out in November 2011. I used to think how the names are so similar and they came out the same time.

  3. #183
    Pear (Level 6) Gentlegamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,200
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    So I made that comment before I really saw much of the game, and after watching my brother stream Zelda botw for over 5 hours i feel that yeah, this game has taken alot from Skyrim. Thats more of an observation rather than a criticism, because the game looks like a quality, fun title but it feels much more like Skyrim than a Zelda game. The overworld in Zelda is basically alot of wilderness that is sparsely littered with ancient ruins than lead to underground dungeons. Zelda gives you quests just like in Skyrim; where you can have multiple quests open at once and pursue them as you like. You can also plot points on the map like in Skyrim, and fast travel to locations like in Skyrim.

    The whole weapon and item system in botw is alot like Skyrim also... except annoying. Just like in Skyrim, there are weapons and items strewn all over the place, but with Zelda weapons constantly break (annoying). There is also a stamina meter in Zelda, just like in Skyrim which limits your actions. With Zelda you have a limited amount of inventory space so almost every time you open a chest you have to open it twice; the first time informing you that your inventory is full (super annoying).

    At one point while playing Zelda, I noticed a guy holding a wooden shield with a deer's head on it. I instantly recognized it, its almost exactly the same as the Falkreath shield from skyrim. Like comon Nintendo, dont copy Skyrim exactly.



    There are other simularities, but Ill stop. I know that other 'open-world' games have came before Skyrim, however it just feel that with Zelda botw Nintendo just copied a previous formula that worked. So I think they get props for making a good game but not an original one. Also the graphics look like they belong on the WiiU.

    Also the controller does not really function 100%, wheter the problem is the signal or something else.
    Unlike Skyrim, you really can climb that mountain (without developer placed paths).

    The original Legend of Zelda was 'open world' before Elder Scrolls even existed.

  4. #184
    Insert Coin (Level 0) Rapid99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    South NJ
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Unlike Skyrim, you really can climb that mountain (without developer placed paths).
    I dunno, just grab a horse and run at those mountains at an angle, and you can climb damn-near anything you please in Skyrim. lol

  5. #185
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,545
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    The original Legend of Zelda was 'open world' before Elder Scrolls even existed.
    Your point? Ultima was open world before The Legend of Zelda even existed. Scratch that. Ultima was open world before the NES even existed.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-03-2017 at 02:39 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

  6. #186
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    755
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Weapons that break? Cool idea. Nintendo is such an innovator. And this is a game that's getting perfect scores all around? I wonder how many millions they paid?
    Last edited by FieryReign; 04-03-2017 at 06:10 AM.

  7. #187
    Kirby (Level 13) Tanooki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,957
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Can't really appease people at this site anymore can you when it comes to anything Nintendo? I haven't logged in for a couple of weeks, and catching up it's nothing but unfounded biased negativity where it really isn't based on fact or deserved. Guess it's a crime to like something you're interested in and if someone else doesn't agree out come the claws.

  8. #188
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    755
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Can't really appease people at this site anymore can you when it comes to anything Nintendo? I haven't logged in for a couple of weeks, and catching up it's nothing but unfounded biased negativity where it really isn't based on fact or deserved. Guess it's a crime to like something you're interested in and if someone else doesn't agree out come the claws.
    This ain't Nintentardage. There's plenty of dickrider sites for dickriders. Meh!

  9. #189
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    79
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Meh. I think it's a really fun game. Meh! And I played like 500 hours of Skyrim and see some inspirations but to call it a ripoff is a stretch. Meh! Now I'm going to be unpleasant for no reason at all. Retarded people play dickridertarded retardickhole games. Meh!

  10. #190
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Zap!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    2,380
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Weapons that break? Cool idea. Nintendo is such an innovator. And this is a game that's getting perfect scores all around? I wonder how many millions they paid?
    No one is getting paid. Zelda games have always been good enough to get very high ratings. Even Zelda 2 was praised in '88.

  11. #191
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,545
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    No one is getting paid. Zelda games have always been good enough to get very high ratings. Even Zelda 2 was praised in '88.
    I agree that no one is getting paid and the Zelda games are great games, but to get a 95+ every single game that releases, no. When Twilight Princess received one bad review, death threats. When Jeff gave Skyword Sword an 8/10, death threats. When Jim rates Breath of the Wild 7/10. Attacks on him, DDOS from raving Nintendo fanboys. I think the series receives such high scores because A, it's a Nintendo game which is an automatic +2, B it's Zelda, so if it doesn't already score high because it's a Nintendo game, it gets another +1, and C, because journalists are actually scared to score Zelda anything lower than a 9/10 because they're afraid for their lives.

    It's just such a huge coincidence that Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Breath of the Wild(I have no idea about Skyward Sword,) have one major flaw that's brushed off and completely ignored to the point that they still receive universal praise as perfect games. Wind Waker is a great game, but there's that damn ocean. Twilight Princess has such a large empty world. Then Breath of the Wild. It has literally no progression, weapons break after hitting the enemy twice, and making the game open world removes a lot of what made Zelda and more linear games great in the first place. Zelda traditionally forces you to go through uniquely designed areas, collecting a specific piece of equipment to slowly open up the amount of area you can traverse, but all the while continuously pushing you towards more uniquely designed areas, which is the greatest strength of linear games, devs pushing players what they want to experience and how they want them to experience it, and most times, while being properly balanced.

    Open world games being open, pretty much in their nature, make it hard for the devs to actually force the players what they want to experience, and it's very rare that there's something that's open world that can actually achieve the same results as a linear game can and being open generally just offers more content with less substance. There are open world games that give you this experience while still being open world. Infamous 1 and 2 did it very well, retaining the linear feel of pushing you through certain events while also having the freedom of open world. On the other hand, Infamous Second Son and Last Light pretty much failed in this regard, leaving the player with a monotonous back and forth trip of going from point a to b to c and really getting little experience out of it. With Breath of the Wild, the amount of tangible content the game offers. Oooo wow, you can do whatever you want, but the fact of the matter remains, that there's no progression, and that you're going to be experiencing a lot of repetition doing the same or similar puzzles with the abilities you've acquired within hours from starting the game over and over again(120 times over infact.)

    Is Breath of the Wild a bad game? No. Just because it has flaws doesn't mean it's a bad game, but it's just that journalists and Nintendo fanboys alike will trash many games for having the same flaws, but overlook them if it's a popular franchise like Zelda or Mario(or anything hyped up actually.) This is something that is extremely common in the Nintendo circle of games where Nintendo games often get preferential treatment simply because they're Nintendo games. I mean I could detail why trash like Pokemon doesn't deserve anywhere near the 80+ that it's given regularly, and don't get me started with the popularity of that POS Pokemon Go, which was identical to the past game the dev developed, but only because it was named Pokemon did it get any sort of recognition. If any publisher can have a total shit fest worth of a game be praised to no end, it's Nintendo(although there's been others, the focus right now is on Nintendo.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

  12. #192
    FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    bb_hood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    2,044
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    18
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

    Default

    the game is overrated
    meh

  13. #193
    Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    MetalFRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nebraska, USA
    Posts
    227
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

    Default

    I'm really enjoying Breath of the Wild, and the Switch in general. Nintendo is about innovating, sure, but usually they take something that's been done before, and then just refine it and do it better. So while the whole 'open world' concept has been done to death at this point, there's so much to do in BotW, and there's always something interesting or rewarding around each corner, or over the next hill, that it's potentially more compelling than many titles that came before it. There are certain areas that will be MUCH HARDER to access without beating a handful of shrines to gain certain abilities, but with skill, persistence, and luck, you can see a great deal of the game, and possibly the ending, without that stuff. So in a way, it's perhaps more open than a lot of previous open world games, in that, you can progress through the game a number of ways, not necessarily how the design team has prescribed. And in the next year or so, I'm sure there will be folks who will do just that, and document it. A lot of it is how sublime the experience is, in terms of the design choices, and how well all the various elements work together. I've spent entire evenings playing this game after work, and doing nothing but hunting, cooking, and seeking out precious gems, because I find it fun. I've spent other evenings burning through multiple shrines, and a couple evenings stuck in a single shrine, because the puzzles were more obtuse. I like the fact that you can save at practically any time, and how, with 120 shrines, and tons of side quests, the game is really built to cater to that mobile/portable experience the Switch provides. You can jump in for a few minutes, get through a shrine or side quest, and put the Switch back into sleep mode. Or, like me, you can play on the TV and spend the whole evening doing that kind of thing multiple times over.

    I'm an unapologetic Nintendo fanboy, but I've never been a "Zelda guy". I never really played any of the LoZ games growing up, and only just tackled the first game last year. I finally understood the series' appeal, and fell in love with it. I went through Link's Awakening in January, and now I'm playing BotW now. Aside from that, I have a little experience with Ocarina back in 2001 and 2002, but otherwise, I'm not invested in the LoZ series, lore, or all the crazy story stuff. I'm enjoying BotW for what it is - a fantastic adventure game with good combat, fun exploration, interesting and solid mechanics, a story that can unfold organically as you play, and just an overall polished experience. It's been a while since I've played a game that Iv'e become engrossed in as much as BotW.
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

Similar Threads

  1. Nintendo's E3 2012 Official Thread
    By PapaStu in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 06-21-2012, 11:51 PM
  2. Nintendo 3DS - Official Thread
    By poloplayr in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 12:52 AM
  3. Official Nintendo Wii E3 08 Discussion Thread
    By PapaStu in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 07-17-2008, 06:08 PM
  4. The Official Nintendo Wii Thread.
    By dbiersdorf in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 302
    Last Post: 11-11-2006, 02:21 PM
  5. Official Nintendo NES Thread
    By digitalpress in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 08-13-2006, 12:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •