Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: The official Nintendo Switch thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    My post wasn't meant to offend you or the 122 million other happy Switch owners. I have a genuine disdain for Nintendo that shows through, but I also proudly own 4,906 complete Nintendo games that go all the way back to the Famicom Disk System. And no, I'm not a game counter type collector. I'm just supplying this information to put my disdain in context.
    Nah, not offended. I'm just wondering where this disdain comes from. Either by playing the systems, reading/watching stuff about Nintendo or a mix of all the above.

The Nintendo Switch is 2 generations behind. An undocked Switch and the Switch lite are 3 generations behind. It does not mean that games aren't fun to play on the Switch. I does mean that the people who are working very hard to create wonderful new content are not going to limit themselves to what will run on the Switch. It just gets left behind. If that doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother me either. I don't advocate for a more powerful Switch. There are other consoles that value cutting edge technology. Nintendo obviously does not.
    Nintendo pretty much has had the philosophy of "using what's tried and true" (i.e. "old") on some of their consoles since they got into the market. Look at the NES/Famicom-that was pretty much obsolete when it hit American shores. Then look at the Game Boy. They went back to that idea for sure with the Wii and that went pretty well for them, even if many folks just bought it for Wii Sports.

As you said, there are other companies that go for the bleeding edge. Nintendo decided to not be one of them.

Maybe you used a poor example equating how Microsoft handled the red ring repairs with the way Nintendo is handling the Joy Con drift repairs. You see, Microsoft didn't just repair the bad consoles, they made hardware changes to prevent it from happening again. Nintendo has never made changes to Joy Con controllers despite the Internet full of well meaning solutions to correct the design flaw. Perhaps Nintendo has it's own disdain that shows through too.
    That was the most glaring example I could think of at the time of my writing. Granted the two situations are far apart (joy con issue? Use another controller to play. Red Ring? Um....pretend your Xbox 360 is working and imagine the cool games?) and Microsoft's situation was more severe. It did take a bit for the issue to get fixed with a new generation of 360's (though the "Arcade" model, which had the same physical case as the original 360s, seemed to work out all right from what I recall). Nintendo is stating they are "currently working on revisions" and it seems like there are folks that are not having the problems anymore or at least the reports don't seem as frequent.

My guess is that people that own the system are lenient towards it ("hey, it's getting fixed") as opposed to those that take to online and complain. Oh, I did do a little research on class action lawsuits, EULA's and game companies. As far as my (although admitted brief research-I don't have the time like I used to for deeper diving when I was more active on this board). It seems, at least as of 2019, that the major game companies all block class action lawsuits in their EULA's-Microsoft, Sony, Valve and Electronic Arts were the ones mentioned. So Nintendo doing it is just them joining the crowd. I think it is more of a sticking point because of the Joy Con issue and that Nintendo is "teh hotness" in this generation.

You applaud Nintendo's aggressive stance towards toxic behavior directed at Nintendo employee's. I just wish I could read about Nintendo's aggressive stance against those who threaten the lives and livelihoods of those who give Nintendo poor reviews.
    Threatening livelihoods, as in going after YouTubers about content or are we talking about actual review sites or magazines like Nintendo Life, Game Informer, Switch, NForce, etc.? Could you expand on that? I know about YouTube videos and folks getting nailed with content strikes. As for lives...is this tying into the "livelihood" comment or are they actually threatening lives? Are they now sending Pinkertons like Wizards of the Coast did to some dude that got an unreleased box of Magic cards? Though the Magic card thing isn't "life threatening", the agents did threaten potential jail time and fines which then again falls back to the "livelihood" term.

Yes, I buy Switch consoles that I haven't opened. Frankly, I have never played a Switch period and my opinions are based on comparison videos, professional reviews and user comments. I have a daughter and son-in-law with kids who own a Switch and Xbox One. The son-in-law is the gamer and once confided to me that Switch games "don't look very good". He loves that Xbox. But I'm sure they bought the Switch for the kids to play with. I wonder how many of the 122 million Switch's sold were just for the kids to play with.

I'm at 495 Switch games. I haven't the space to display them showing the wonderful case art, so I just display them showing the spines. It's solid reddish hue reminds me of a baboons infected butt-hole. So I break up the giant block of red by sprinkling in Limited Edition Switch consoles and controllers. It's pretty effective and I do it with all my collections.
    So were these consoles purchased brand new from a store or from Nintendo or were they purchased second-hand? How about many of your games? The reason I ask is: for a person who has some pretty strong disdain for Nintendo, if you bought any of these things new, you ARE supporting this beast you seem to dislike. Ultimately people will vote with their dollars and if something rubs them the wrong way, they can stop buying the product and no longer support the company. Purchasing new and then complaining about it makes me think of a person (and I've seen a few of these over the years) that goes to the same restaurant and complains about the food, service, whatever. Then at the end of their completed meal, they get up and say "see you next week".

Again, this is if you purchased new. Used or second hand is another matter-Nintendo isn't profitting from your purchase. I'm just looking for hypocrisy here.

When comparing a Switch next to a modern Xbox, YEAH the Switch is going to look poor in comparison. As for buying the Switch for the kids-well, what's the library like on an Xbox or PS5 that's more family friendly? I honestly don't know as I have neither and am not interested in either. Switch is a solid all around console, so why not? Besides, then Son-in-law doesn't have to give up the 'box when the kids want to play..heh heh.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

My disdain for Nintendo isn't rational and does not affect my hobby in the least. I pre-ordered the N64 and just hated that damn thing. Someone on this very board noticed my dislike and suggested that pound for pound the N64 had the best game library of it's generation. Well I looked into it, not believing it for a second, and decided they were right. The games looked like ass as all those early 3D games did, the controller was embarrassing, but the library was pretty awesome. The only console version of Starcraft is on the N64. I now have a terrific N64 game library thanks to that person and my own ability to set aside my bias for my benefit.

In my home the Switch will be docked and the Joy Cons unused, so the drift won't affect me. The Joy Cons will just join the long list of Nintendo controllers I dislike.

I think if you just Google Nintendo reviews threats you'll find plenty of reading material. Nintendo fans can be very biased and that's about as politely as I can say it. I didn't even know there was a Nintendo Life. Thanks for the tip!

You seem to be very happy with the Switch and that's all that should matter for you. I can't understand you're willingness to give up so much, but who am I to question happiness. You must know what else is out there and shrugged. Amazing!

I bought all of my games and consoles new this generation because I knew I would retire soon and there wouldn't be time to let the games become unwanted and undervalued this time. The best time to collect games is when no one wants them and no one is nostalgic for them either. I have worked for the same employer for over 30 years and started collecting video games while working there. They were incredibly generous with overtime and I worked a lot of extra hours for my hobby, but I always felt like it was my employer who was paying for everything. So I never look back on any expense with regret. I don't even care what happens to it when I'm gone. I had fun doing it and that's all that matters.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

frankly, i've picked up some pretty ragged joycons for shell swaps and none of them i have come across so far have had any serious drift issues, nothing a re calibration didnt fix.
    my recent issue with nintendo was with the switch, mainly the wii u to switch abandonment and then re releasing games on the switch as if they were new. kinda shitty.

Theres also a, not just nintendo made games, but games in general issue with switch games. sure its a "portable system" but some times you find games that are scaled so small they were never thought of as being played in a portable mode, it goes the other way around, some games are made in such a way they are HUGE on a tv. A lot of Dev's cant seem to get it right.
    Bloodstained is one thats impossible to play portable, and Animal Crossing it freaking big mode on a TV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    You seem to be very happy with the Switch and that's all that should matter for you. I can't understand you're willingness to give up so much, but who am I to question happiness. You must know what else is out there and shrugged. Amazing!
    Did I say I gamed on Switch only? I said I like my Switch Lite....I didn't say that was "it". I haven't played the last two gens of Playstation or Xbox as the exclusive games didn't really do much for me (and I dislike Playstaton controller design-my thoughts on that topic are probably sprinkled throughout this forum over the years). I have two good PCs with decent graphics cards (a desktop and laptop) and I have played a variety of titles. Probably the latest I've played on there is Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order.

However I'm on the computer for work, doing bills, writing TTRPG stuff, etc. So with all that I see it more as a tool than a toy and frankly, I enjoy being away from the keyboard when I game. In my house of many people, I really don't have a spot for a console per se that *I* can sit at. My Switch Lite gives me the mobility with the games I like. I play more Skyrim on my Switch than on my PC. I just got Witcher 3 for a good deal, and I have that on PC as well.

So COULD I play the latest and greatest that's NOT on Switch. Yes. Do I want to? Most of the time, no. I could get a Steam Deck but I can't justify the price to see if it gives me the fuzzy feels of portable gaming my Switch does.