Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The official Nintendo Switch thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I think it looks great, I look forward to the unified one platform output from Nintendo's internal devs.

I hope Nintendo has a sweetheart deal with NVidia or this thing will come out expensive and never go down in price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Meh!!
    Last edited by Tanooki; 11-04-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Maybe Nintendo bought the exclusive rights to Tegra 2 for Switch manufacturing and got a discount that will be paid for by a sort of "co-marketing" relationship between Nintendo and Nvidia to raise the profile of Nvidia's future Shield offerings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Meh!!
    Last edited by Tanooki; 11-04-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thread title changed from NX to Switch.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read on a German website, that the Switch is more 'powerful' than the PS3 and the Xbox360 when it comes to hardware. But both systems are 11 and 10 years old. How powerful will the Switch indeed be? Better than the WiiU?

One prospect gets me a bit excited about the new system. Maybe the Switch will get Japanese RPGs which so far only handhelds get. As a notorious anti-handheld-gamer it would be fantastic if the new system would have RPGs like the 3DS. THEN I'm all over it. We'll see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    I read on a German website, that the Switch is more 'powerful' than the PS3 and the Xbox360 when it comes to hardware.
    So is the Wii U, and the Switch will be more powerful than that, so I don't really understand the website's point. It's like saying the Switch is more powerful than the Genesis. While true, it's supposed to be.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

With Shin Megami Tensei Likely,Monster Hunter,Pokemon and Dragon Quest this thing will dominate Japan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Meh!!
    Last edited by Tanooki; 11-04-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    As I have been told, it is on the level of the PS4/one more or less, not of their now and upcoming 4K and VR ready boxes. Fear not its not the PS3 again with the thing being totally in the dark. But also keep in mind that theyre not competing with the other two clown car shows out there now as theyre in the microconsole space with this.
    I think that's very unlikely. It will probably be more along the lines of an enhanced NVIDIA Shield as it shares a lot in common with that architecture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

IMHO, it will make a big difference in Nintendo Switch if the custom Nvidia Tegra chip is based on the new Tegra "Parker" (aka X2) with Pascal architecture, rather than the nearly 2 year old Tegra X1 based on Maxwell architecture, which is reportedly being used in Switch dev-kits.

Tegra X1 debuted in early 2015 and is used in Nvidia's Android Shield TV micro-console, and Google's Pixel C tablet. By the time Switch comes out in March 2017, Tegra X1 will be two years old.

Tegra X1 uses a 64-bit memory bus, allowing 25 GB/s bandwidth. Performance wise, it does 512 GFlops of normal FP32, and 1 TFlop of half-precision FP16. Overall, Tegra X1 is somewhere around 1/4th to 1/3rd as powerful as XBone (and obviously even less compared to og PS4).

Tegra Parker, aka X2, has a 128-bit bus, providing 50 GB/s bandwidth. We don't know much about Tegra Parker / X2 aside from being fabbed on 16nm FinFET process and using Pascal architecture. It would be a lot more power-efficient than Tegra X1 which used the 20nm process.

As far as graphics performance, power efficiency and thus, battery life, I'm keeping my fingers crossed Nintendo is getting a custom Tegra Parker / X2 for Switch.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Richard from Digital Foundry pretty much showed an identical design to what the system looked like and functioned like and stated it's going to be a custom Tegra X1, so according to that, the system is going to be more like half the power of the Xbox One instead of as powerful as the Xbox One or PS4, so this is the Gamecube 1.5, I mean, the Wii all over again in terms of power. Now hopefully I'm wrong, because I've already said to a friend if the NX is as powerful as the Xbox One or PS4 and a multiconsole game releases that's identical in performance between the PS4 and the NX, then I'm going to get the NX version for the reason that I'll be paying once and getting both a console and portable version of said game. Despite me being pro Sony and wanting the PS4 to be my main, if the NX will be the main on any game that has the same performance, so indie games will more than likely be on my NX system since a high powered console isn't much of a factor, small possibility of any larger budget games depending on the power difference.

That being said, I actually think the NX handheld looks really nice and has a sleek design. The controls while on the handheld look really comfortable, except for the inverted analog(I know why though, I'll get to that in a bit,) and then with the center piece they form the console version of the controller, and based on my experience with the Wii U pro controller, these things will probably last 80+ hours off a single charge. Pretty cool how the thing can be stood up so you can still be played using the controller on the go as well. Additionally, depending on the game, it was really cool that they could break off into two NES like controller with more buttons to allow for two people to play and the system has wifi capability to play these games alongside other NX consoles.

3DS games have to go somewhere, because Nintendo will probably stop allowing for them to be printed soon to force devs to move over to the NX, so I think the support the 3DS is getting with go to the NX. Additionally, I think the NX may also reinvigorate the Vita. The NX is more powerful than the Vita, but depending on the game, since they're both now a single screen and the two portables being mostly identical except for the power difference, there's a potential that the games may be developed multiconsole between Vita and NX. Might never happen but always a possibility since fans are really supportive of the Vita and I'm sure the niche devs still see that. That being said, I'd buy the NX version anyways if the Vita did get support, but there's still those Vita owners that would support it and get potentially more games released on the Vita that I won't be able to get on NX.

So anyways, I'm interested, but I'm going to wait on it. I really love the 3D effect on the 3DS so disappointed that the NX is a hybrid on that aspect, but it's the best thing Nintendo could have did, and while it's not revolutionary, it's the best idea a console can have to get support from both markets. PS4 is getting so much support, potentially the NX now? We've got two consoles in one gen that might be considered the PS2.5 if it does.

Finally. I just want to say that the Nintendo Switch is one of the worst console names in the history of consoles, so I'll leave you with some jokes I made up. The Nintendo Switch name is such a..... turn off. They should have.... switched names. Not too great probably, but I like them.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Meh!!
    Last edited by Tanooki; 11-04-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Look no offence but I'll take my brothers word on it who works at a company with devkits for it and knows on that end what it is and isn't capable of compared to some blowhard at digital foundry or other analyst taking heads speculating online. Bojay the tegra in shield and the tefra2 Parker have much in common but also much enhanced. If wrong and before they start making the hardware in mass and they cheap out and dumb it down that would be a really criminally stupid move on their part.
    The problem is that Nvidia has already made these same boasts for the earlier gen of Tegra and while they technically told the truth that the Tegra had the "same graphical features as the PS4/Xbox One" (i.e. not the same performance, but the same basic capabilities), they also stated that the processor in that earlier generation was only on par with Xbox 360/PS3. You're not going to get equivalent performance on a mobile SOC to what are essentially desktop PC processors and GPUs like you find on the PS4 and Xbox One. You're also losing performance because you'll be pushing the built in screen using some of the processor cycles. It's the same reason that various tablets have great specs on paper, but in practical use, they aren't anywhere close to what consoles can deliver with similar specs. Nintendo's plan is not to compete head to head with current gen consoles. What they are offering is something a little unusual in the hope that great games will make up for a significant performance gap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Looks promising, but knowing Nintendo this will probably still use friend codes, no wi-fi on tablet, weak ass specs barely on par with wii u, re-release all wii u games I already own, no tracking of past purchases with nintendo id meaning i have to buy the same shit all over again, no analogue triggers, mii's everywhere and miiverse censorship, poor battery life, and the list goes on and on. I'll wait after launch this time, last systems i bought i regret

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Meh!!
    Last edited by Tanooki; 11-04-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    You're not going to get equivalent performance on a mobile SOC to what are essentially desktop PC processors and GPUs like you find on the PS4 and Xbox One.
    PS4/Xbone have laptop spec GPUs.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    PS4/Xbone have laptop spec GPUs.
    That's not my understanding. They may share some features with laptop GPUs (power consumption and size), but my understanding is that both have what are essentially versions of the standard AMD Radeon series and not the "M" version of those GPUs.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I see sharing info I know of is making no difference in this thread so I'll stop. Kind of slowly realizing more how this place is going ghost town. When opinion clouds fact why bother.
    What, are you 12? You are taking your toys and going home because you claim your brother broke an NDA and provided information about a system so you could win an argument and when people question the information, you storm off like a child? Frankly, if that's the level of discussion you want to see around here, I think we're better off without your inarticulate contributions.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Thoroughly unimpressed with the design and the knowing that the Tegra architecture was designed for tablets feels icky. My personal issue is that I feel that mobile gaming is "lesser" [not 3DS or Vita, mind you. And let's exclude the Nvida Sheild from this conversation...] and as someone that owns a gaming laptop, I've just got no need for this.

That said, if there's a Metroid game, I'll buy it.