Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: The official Nintendo Switch thread

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'd take it another level of separation and assert that the design insinuates Farsi/Persian aesthetic (which ties in with what those dudes at the horse stables tend to wear) while the Skyrim shield is Celtic inspired.

Regardless yes the game rips off Skyrim in so many ways it's almost shameless. But damn this is probably the best Zelda ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    Regardless yes the game rips off Skyrim in so many ways it's almost shameless.
    Ironically, Skyrim and Skyward Sword both came out in November 2011. I used to think how the names are so similar and they came out the same time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    So I made that comment before I really saw much of the game, and after watching my brother stream Zelda botw for over 5 hours i feel that yeah, this game has taken alot from Skyrim. Thats more of an observation rather than a criticism, because the game looks like a quality, fun title but it feels much more like Skyrim than a Zelda game. The overworld in Zelda is basically alot of wilderness that is sparsely littered with ancient ruins than lead to underground dungeons. Zelda gives you quests just like in Skyrim; where you can have multiple quests open at once and pursue them as you like. You can also plot points on the map like in Skyrim, and fast travel to locations like in Skyrim.

The whole weapon and item system in botw is alot like Skyrim also... except annoying. Just like in Skyrim, there are weapons and items strewn all over the place, but with Zelda weapons constantly break (annoying). There is also a stamina meter in Zelda, just like in Skyrim which limits your actions. With Zelda you have a limited amount of inventory space so almost every time you open a chest you have to open it twice; the first time informing you that your inventory is full (super annoying).

At one point while playing Zelda, I noticed a guy holding a wooden shield with a deer's head on it. I instantly recognized it, its almost exactly the same as the Falkreath shield from skyrim. Like comon Nintendo, dont copy Skyrim exactly.

There are other simularities, but Ill stop. I know that other 'open-world' games have came before Skyrim, however it just feel that with Zelda botw Nintendo just copied a previous formula that worked. So I think they get props for making a good game but not an original one. Also the graphics look like they belong on the WiiU.

Also the controller does not really function 100%, wheter the problem is the signal or something else.
    Unlike Skyrim, you really can climb that mountain (without developer placed paths).

The original Legend of Zelda was 'open world' before Elder Scrolls even existed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Unlike Skyrim, you really can climb that mountain (without developer placed paths).
    I dunno, just grab a horse and run at those mountains at an angle, and you can climb damn-near anything you please in Skyrim. lol

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    The original Legend of Zelda was 'open world' before Elder Scrolls even existed.
    Your point? Ultima was open world before The Legend of Zelda even existed. Scratch that. Ultima was open world before the NES even existed.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-03-2017 at 02:39 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Weapons that break? Cool idea. Nintendo is such an innovator. And this is a game that's getting perfect scores all around? I wonder how many millions they paid?
    Last edited by FieryReign; 04-03-2017 at 06:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Can't really appease people at this site anymore can you when it comes to anything Nintendo? I haven't logged in for a couple of weeks, and catching up it's nothing but unfounded biased negativity where it really isn't based on fact or deserved. Guess it's a crime to like something you're interested in and if someone else doesn't agree out come the claws.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Can't really appease people at this site anymore can you when it comes to anything Nintendo? I haven't logged in for a couple of weeks, and catching up it's nothing but unfounded biased negativity where it really isn't based on fact or deserved. Guess it's a crime to like something you're interested in and if someone else doesn't agree out come the claws.
    This ain't Nintentardage. There's plenty of dickrider sites for dickriders. Meh!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh. I think it's a really fun game. Meh! And I played like 500 hours of Skyrim and see some inspirations but to call it a ripoff is a stretch. Meh! Now I'm going to be unpleasant for no reason at all. Retarded people play dickridertarded retardickhole games. Meh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Weapons that break? Cool idea. Nintendo is such an innovator. And this is a game that's getting perfect scores all around? I wonder how many millions they paid?
    No one is getting paid. Zelda games have always been good enough to get very high ratings. Even Zelda 2 was praised in '88.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    No one is getting paid. Zelda games have always been good enough to get very high ratings. Even Zelda 2 was praised in '88.
    I agree that no one is getting paid and the Zelda games are great games, but to get a 95+ every single game that releases, no. When Twilight Princess received one bad review, death threats. When Jeff gave Skyword Sword an 8/10, death threats. When Jim rates Breath of the Wild 7/10. Attacks on him, DDOS from raving Nintendo fanboys. I think the series receives such high scores because A, it's a Nintendo game which is an automatic +2, B it's Zelda, so if it doesn't already score high because it's a Nintendo game, it gets another +1, and C, because journalists are actually scared to score Zelda anything lower than a 9/10 because they're afraid for their lives.

It's just such a huge coincidence that Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Breath of the Wild(I have no idea about Skyward Sword,) have one major flaw that's brushed off and completely ignored to the point that they still receive universal praise as perfect games. Wind Waker is a great game, but there's that damn ocean. Twilight Princess has such a large empty world. Then Breath of the Wild. It has literally no progression, weapons break after hitting the enemy twice, and making the game open world removes a lot of what made Zelda and more linear games great in the first place. Zelda traditionally forces you to go through uniquely designed areas, collecting a specific piece of equipment to slowly open up the amount of area you can traverse, but all the while continuously pushing you towards more uniquely designed areas, which is the greatest strength of linear games, devs pushing players what they want to experience and how they want them to experience it, and most times, while being properly balanced.

Open world games being open, pretty much in their nature, make it hard for the devs to actually force the players what they want to experience, and it's very rare that there's something that's open world that can actually achieve the same results as a linear game can and being open generally just offers more content with less substance. There are open world games that give you this experience while still being open world. Infamous 1 and 2 did it very well, retaining the linear feel of pushing you through certain events while also having the freedom of open world. On the other hand, Infamous Second Son and Last Light pretty much failed in this regard, leaving the player with a monotonous back and forth trip of going from point a to b to c and really getting little experience out of it. With Breath of the Wild, the amount of tangible content the game offers. Oooo wow, you can do whatever you want, but the fact of the matter remains, that there's no progression, and that you're going to be experiencing a lot of repetition doing the same or similar puzzles with the abilities you've acquired within hours from starting the game over and over again(120 times over infact.)

Is Breath of the Wild a bad game? No. Just because it has flaws doesn't mean it's a bad game, but it's just that journalists and Nintendo fanboys alike will trash many games for having the same flaws, but overlook them if it's a popular franchise like Zelda or Mario(or anything hyped up actually.) This is something that is extremely common in the Nintendo circle of games where Nintendo games often get preferential treatment simply because they're Nintendo games. I mean I could detail why trash like Pokemon doesn't deserve anywhere near the 80+ that it's given regularly, and don't get me started with the popularity of that POS Pokemon Go, which was identical to the past game the dev developed, but only because it was named Pokemon did it get any sort of recognition. If any publisher can have a total shit fest worth of a game be praised to no end, it's Nintendo(although there's been others, the focus right now is on Nintendo.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

the game is overrated
    meh

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

I'm really enjoying Breath of the Wild, and the Switch in general. Nintendo is about innovating, sure, but usually they take something that's been done before, and then just refine it and do it better. So while the whole 'open world' concept has been done to death at this point, there's so much to do in BotW, and there's always something interesting or rewarding around each corner, or over the next hill, that it's potentially more compelling than many titles that came before it. There are certain areas that will be MUCH HARDER to access without beating a handful of shrines to gain certain abilities, but with skill, persistence, and luck, you can see a great deal of the game, and possibly the ending, without that stuff. So in a way, it's perhaps more open than a lot of previous open world games, in that, you can progress through the game a number of ways, not necessarily how the design team has prescribed. And in the next year or so, I'm sure there will be folks who will do just that, and document it. A lot of it is how sublime the experience is, in terms of the design choices, and how well all the various elements work together. I've spent entire evenings playing this game after work, and doing nothing but hunting, cooking, and seeking out precious gems, because I find it fun. I've spent other evenings burning through multiple shrines, and a couple evenings stuck in a single shrine, because the puzzles were more obtuse. I like the fact that you can save at practically any time, and how, with 120 shrines, and tons of side quests, the game is really built to cater to that mobile/portable experience the Switch provides. You can jump in for a few minutes, get through a shrine or side quest, and put the Switch back into sleep mode. Or, like me, you can play on the TV and spend the whole evening doing that kind of thing multiple times over.

I'm an unapologetic Nintendo fanboy, but I've never been a "Zelda guy". I never really played any of the LoZ games growing up, and only just tackled the first game last year. I finally understood the series' appeal, and fell in love with it. I went through Link's Awakening in January, and now I'm playing BotW now. Aside from that, I have a little experience with Ocarina back in 2001 and 2002, but otherwise, I'm not invested in the LoZ series, lore, or all the crazy story stuff. I'm enjoying BotW for what it is - a fantastic adventure game with good combat, fun exploration, interesting and solid mechanics, a story that can unfold organically as you play, and just an overall polished experience. It's been a while since I've played a game that Iv'e become engrossed in as much as BotW.
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Be excited for that Zelda game, which is just a WiiU port. There'll be alot of switches collecting dust in the coming months when people are done jizzing all over that game.
    Might be time to admit defeat on this one.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

umm....

dude got banned, i think thats like a forced loss... also that was like 6 years ago too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    umm....

dude got banned, i think thats like a forced loss... also that was like 6 years ago too
    Not sure what a "forced loss" means, but yeah, I was just looking at old posts and found it hysterical that the guy was arguing with me because I bought a Switch on day one. He then insisted that it would be forgotten in a matter of months. Flash forward and it's on its way to becoming the best selling system of all-time.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm surprised this thread isn't more active considering it's a current console. In any case there's a few recent releases that caught my eye and I figured I'd mention them here.

A remake of the RPG Maker game Ib has been released, and there's a physical copy available. The physical version is only available in a Japanese version, but it's region free and has an English option. I really enjoyed the original freeware version so I wanted to mention it, this updated version does look pretty good.

https://www.play-asia.com/ib-multi-language/13/70ft5r

Also it seems that Ghost Trick is getting rereleased on the Switch in a few months, I have the DS version but thought I'd mention this new Switch release. Again a physical version is available from Japan, region free with an English option.

https://www.play-asia.com/ghost-tric...uage/13/70fzyf

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

After re-reading the thread, things must have been a little more lively around here back in the day.

I'm personaly hoping the Switch does not become the best selling console of all time. But I'm willing to acknowledge that there is a hell of a lot more people who prefer mobile gaming than I could have believed. And all the concessions that go along with mobile performance does not bother them one bit. Nintendo must have figured this out because it's mid cycle Switch upgrade was to simply improve the mobile screen and add a version of the Switch that could not be docked.

I would have hoped Nintendo would have fixed the Joy Con drift issue. The Joy Cons costing far more than Sony or Microsoft controllers have a known drifting issue that resulted in a class action lawsuit filed against Nintendo. But Nintendo was able to successfully argue that anyone who uses a Switch has signed a End User License Agreement which disallows lawsuits. Nintendo currently fix's Joy Cons for free (with one major caveat) but who the hell wants to go through that hassle when it is needlessly due to Nintendo's design negligence.

The next thing that surprised me is that Nintendo has officially acknowledged that it's fan base is toxic! Nintendo groomed and fomented this bunch of crazies and could care less what they do to others, but if any of them spew on Nintendo employee's, then they lose access to Nintendo repairs. No fixed Joy Cons for them!

Another thing Nintendo surprised me with the Switch was taking a more lenient policy towards censorship than either Sony or Microsoft. I buy Switch games that I would have preferred to buy for other consoles due to this and instead of earning my gratitude, it just seems to exasperate me. I bought the worst performing version of the game just to avoid censorship. How wonderful!

I buy Limited Edition Switch consoles because I think they are cool and I won't regret it. I buy Nintendo first party games because I'd be crazy not to. And I hate that they never drop in price. I hate that more than anything and will buy used, use store points/credits, do ANYTHING to convince myself I did not give those greedy bastards one more penny than I had to.

I also watch for and collect all the Switch games that have bonus content or DLC on the cart. I know I could download the DLC on other console versions and I would actually prefer to play the game on those consoles for the performance they have over the Switch. But I just like knowing my Switch copy has everything on the cart forever.

I buy what I hope are Switch exclusives mainly from Super Rare games and Play Asia. I get pretty upset when I buy one of these games and see it released on other consoles months or years later. I really hate getting stuck with a Switch version only have to buy it all over again if I want the best version of the game.

That's about all I have to say about the Switch other than I have never actually taken one out of the box. One day, I'm sure. The Switch and it's devotee's sure surprised the heck out of me!
    Last edited by Spartacus; 05-04-2023 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I gotta say I'm impressed by how my Switch Lite handles games. I can't say I've played a game that made me go "wooo....that's ugly". Then again one has to remember not everyone is balls-to-the-wall die hard 4K 60 FPS gamers. As for making a higher spec one, if people are buying it, why create a more powerful version? Then you'd create a situation like a 3DS and a "New" 3DS with more power. How many games would actually be made to NEED the faster Switch version? Answer-not many, just like the 3DS.

As for the JoyCon issue, Nintendo does offer free repairs. That's what warranty is all about, not unlike Microsoft fixing red-ringed Xbox 360s. Nintendo was already offering the free repairs before the lawsuit so they were doing what they should do. What more do they need to do? I don't understand some people's need to slap a lawsuit on a company when said company is working on rectifying the problem.

As for toxicity....I APPLAUD Nintendo for standing by their employees. No one, NO ONE who takes your call in order to help you should be subjected to someone's vile spewing! I get a person can be upset but to take it out on a person who didn't even BUILD your malfunctioning device...that's just wrong. Stuff happens, things break but the poor soul on the other end of the line is trying to help you. Now if they are giving you an attitude off the bat....well..maybe but still, it's best to not stoop to that level.

And....wait...you buy Switch consoles and yet you haven't opened one? Just out of curiosity-have you actually played a Switch on a regular basis (as in, didn't just try a buddy's once) or are your opinions just due to watching things on the sidelines? You make it sound like you collect but not play, unless I'm reading something wrong.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

My post wasn't meant to offend you or the 122 million other happy Switch owners. I have a genuine disdain for Nintendo that shows through, but I also proudly own 4,906 complete Nintendo games that go all the way back to the Famicom Disk System. And no, I'm not a game counter type collector. I'm just supplying this information to put my disdain in context.

The Nintendo Switch is 2 generations behind. An undocked Switch and the Switch lite are 3 generations behind. It does not mean that games aren't fun to play on the Switch. I does mean that the people who are working very hard to create wonderful new content are not going to limit themselves to what will run on the Switch. It just gets left behind. If that doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother me either. I don't advocate for a more powerful Switch. There are other consoles that value cutting edge technology. Nintendo obviously does not.

Maybe you used a poor example equating how Microsoft handled the red ring repairs with the way Nintendo is handling the Joy Con drift repairs. You see, Microsoft didn't just repair the bad consoles, they made hardware changes to prevent it from happening again. Nintendo has never made changes to Joy Con controllers despite the Internet full of well meaning solutions to correct the design flaw. Perhaps Nintendo has it's own disdain that shows through too.

You applaud Nintendo's aggressive stance towards toxic behavior directed at Nintendo employee's. I just wish I could read about Nintendo's aggressive stance against those who threaten the lives and livelihoods of those who give Nintendo poor reviews.

Yes, I buy Switch consoles that I haven't opened. Frankly, I have never played a Switch period and my opinions are based on comparison videos, professional reviews and user comments. I have a daughter and son-in-law with kids who own a Switch and Xbox One. The son-in-law is the gamer and once confided to me that Switch games "don't look very good". He loves that Xbox. But I'm sure they bought the Switch for the kids to play with. I wonder how many of the 122 million Switch's sold were just for the kids to play with.

I'm at 495 Switch games. I haven't the space to display them showing the wonderful case art, so I just display them showing the spines. It's solid reddish hue reminds me of a baboons infected butt-hole. So I break up the giant block of red by sprinkling in Limited Edition Switch consoles and controllers. It's pretty effective and I do it with all my collections.

I collect video games for a hobby. I play games too. But I love "researching" games, if that's the right term, most of all. I previously mentioned collecting Switch games that differ from other console versions in that they have bonus content and DLC on the cart. I have quite a collection of them that I'm quite proud of. I'm proud of it because I know the effort that it takes to find them all. You can't just Google that game list. You have to dig it out. That digging out game information never bores me. It's a big part about what I love about games. Game knowledge is interesting to me. And really, I am very glad that you enjoy gaming on the Switch. I'm sure I will too. Someday.
    Last edited by Spartacus; 05-07-2023 at 02:41 PM.