Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: The official Nintendo Switch thread

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I think it's not quite right to compare its horsepower to PS4 or XBox One. This is a tablet after all! It's never going to be as powerful, and Nintendo can't compete with them anyway.
    Nintendo is calling this a "home console" in their marketing materials that has the capability to go portable. As such, people are obviously going to compare it to the other home consoles out there, especially when it can only be played in mobile mode for perhaps three hours before it needs to be fully charged again for another three hours. The fact that it's not even close in capability to the current gen consoles doesn't bother me much, although I am bothered that a certain member here lied about the capabilities and attacked a bunch of us for properly questioning his false information. As long as there are great games, I will be happy.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

If you're a first party Nintendo IP fan, the system is one you'll have to own, I'm sure. I am seriously considering a pre-order, which I haven't done in like a decade. My gaming has regressed in my older age, I prefer mainly the kinds that Nintendo makes! ha ha ha.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow I get shit for switch stuff, this is one big last 24 hours strain of truly sicky sweet positivity going on here. For what it is and the tech they've stuffed in there, licensing deals and contracts for the parts and others tech involved within I'm sure they're not making money hand over fist when this comes out, but definitely not taking a loss as they're not into that. A second controller in many cases isn't even necessary since the joy cons pop off like a pair of SNES controllers with an analog stick on it. Wouldn't be nice for a FPS game for certain, but much else it would be alright. It's just a closed Tegra tablet they're marketing as a home console that go portable so it's not like they're trying to usurp Sony or MS with this thing. Greg's right on both those last two posts on the nose.

And yes their own website lists a part listing. AC adapter with a USB-C cord on it is included, as is the HDMI cable. They may have pulled that shit with new3DS but they didn't on the Classic NES box from a couple months ago. It had a Lite-ON square adapter that you slide the plug jack onto and a usb port in the back for the micro jack to go into the NES deck itself. I was surprised but not as since you can slide that off they can use the same molding and swap out the power pins for the plug by region. I don't like being in their defense of voice of reason at this point in time since I'd like to cock punch them for the hundreds I wasted on the WiiU years ago.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Wow I get shit for switch stuff, this is one big last 24 hours strain of truly sicky sweet positivity going on here. For what it is and the tech they've stuffed in there, licensing deals and contracts for the parts and others tech involved within I'm sure they're not making money hand over fist when this comes out, but definitely not taking a loss as they're not into that. A second controller in many cases isn't even necessary since the joy cons pop off like a pair of SNES controllers with an analog stick on it. Wouldn't be nice for a FPS game for certain, but much else it would be alright. It's just a closed Tegra tablet they're marketing as a home console that go portable so it's not like they're trying to usurp Sony or MS with this thing. Greg's right on both those last two posts on the nose.

And yes their own website lists a part listing. AC adapter with a USB-C cord on it is included, as is the HDMI cable. They may have pulled that shit with new3DS but they didn't on the Classic NES box from a couple months ago. It had a Lite-ON square adapter that you slide the plug jack onto and a usb port in the back for the micro jack to go into the NES deck itself. I was surprised but not as since you can slide that off they can use the same molding and swap out the power pins for the plug by region. I don't like being in their defense of voice of reason at this point in time since I'd like to cock punch them for the hundreds I wasted on the WiiU years ago.
    Maybe you should take this up with your brother....if he even exists. Hard to know what's true about what you post given your history of lying.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't like being in their defense of voice of reason at this point in time since I'd like to cock punch them for the hundreds I wasted on the WiiU years ago.
    Then don't defend them, this ain't nintendolife. Every console gets shit prior to release. Remember the xbox1? Folks bitched but still bought them.

I see a bunch of people with humongous complaints but still with the "I'll still buy it" at the end of numerous paragraphs. Ever heard of voting with your wallet? You keep buying the shit, they'll keep pulling the same shit they're feeding you.

Only reason I'd buy one is to resell it to a nintentard and make a few duckets.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    I see a bunch of people with humongous complaints but still with the "I'll still buy it" at the end of numerous paragraphs. Ever heard of voting with your wallet?
    To be fair, I said I'd buy it after a revision. It's going to be quite awhile before I buy it and depending on how things go in the future, that could be not at all, even if there is a revision. Basically it's going to be years before I buy it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    To be fair, I said I'd buy it after a revision. It's going to be quite awhile before I buy it and depending on how things go in the future, that could be not at all, even if there is a revision. Basically it's going to be years before I buy it.
    Not pointing or singling anyone out. I'm seeing it everywhere. Not just this here. People say the same shit prior to every console launch.

This is just a pretty important one, because Nintendo's future depends on it. They half-assed previous console rollouts, always falling back on their handheld grip on the market. Now it's a gamble, pushing "all in" and trying to combine the 2, like they innovated the concept. Flat out lying to the pubic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Maybe you should take this up with your brother....if he even exists. Hard to know what's true about what you post given your history of lying.
    I had something here, but arguing with a lying raging cunt like yourself isn't worth feeding a troll. A troll that is strongly the reason why you don't see new people signing up anymore here because childish behavior doesn't keep people around.

Fiery fair enough and I do agree, it would be a money maker as there will be the inevitable panic.

I doubt they'd revise this thing probably until late life like the Wii. I think it would come down to what parts inside they could cut out or go cheaper with depending how the system takes or not. PRobably a price drop would be more likely. Nintendo never was for upscaling the guts of their systems internally much console side (which they seem to consider it) but with handhelds you did have GBC, the DSi, and the beefed up or dumbed down New3DS and 2DS.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 01-15-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Eurogamer / DigitalFoundry's take on Nintendo Switch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...its-in-trouble

Switch clicks in the hands, but on paper, it's in trouble
    First impressions of Nintendo's hybrid.

You shouldn't judge Nintendo hardware until you've held it in your hands. The Kyoto company, with its dedication to the synthesis of software and hardware, has always revelled in the physicality of video games. It has habitually excelled at creating innovative, ergonomic and tactile kit that can surprise and delight, just through its design.

Nintendo Switch lives up to that heritage. On arrival at this morning's hands-on preview in London, I made a beeline for the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild demo. It wasn't the game itself that interested me - it seems magnificent, but the demo contents were the same as the Wii U build shown at last year's E3 - it was the chance to experience Switch's party piece. I began playing on a TV, using a familiar Pro controller. Then, halfway through my time, I plucked the Switch from its cradle and, after a button press, instantly resumed the epic open-world game in handheld mode.

It is an effortless, magical moment - a great piece of technological theatre. Unlike its bizarre predecessor, the Wii U, the appeal of this feature isn't hard to understand or to communicate. And it's a very desirable gadget, too. The console itself, when removed from its plain-to-the-point-of-ugly dock, is beautiful. It's very slim but luxuriously large, and the screen is intensely bright and sharp; its 1280x720 resolution is more than adequate for its size. The image is vibrant and clear - if anything, Zelda displays more crisply here than on the TV. The console is light but not too light, having a pleasing heft. The materials feel high-quality, the sticks and buttons are perfectly placed, the tactile feedback is just so. It is very much a Nintendo console, but with its austere lines and glossy finish, it's clearly a Nintendo console that's been designed to compete with sleek tablets like the iPad Mini. On that level, it can hold its own.

A word, too about those detachable Joy-Con controllers. They are delightful. Yes, they are very small, though that didn't give me any problems. (I have slim but long-fingered hands.) I didn't try detaching them from or reattaching them to the Switch, but I did play several games that used them as freestanding controllers, and was surprised to find I loved them. They are capable motion controllers. They are bristling with buttons - not just the twin triggers on the top, but two more along the edge that are hidden when clipped into the Switch. Ergonomically, they feel much more natural than you'd expect, and in fact there's something very pleasing about the way they fit, dinkily, into your hands. Holding them pistol-grip style, as Nintendo's fun boxing game Arms asks you to do, feels great. The Joy-Cons are essentially miniaturised Wii remotes with added functionality - an extra button or two, improved rumble and, crucially, an analogue stick each - and as such they're hugely versatile, offering developers a wealth of options. The simple fact that every Switch comes equipped with two controllers for local multiplayer is certainly not to be sniffed at.

So far, so good. Switch is a clever bit of kit that feels contemporary but also quintessentially Nintendo, earning its place in the line-up of classics and oddballs, from Game Boy to GameCube, that were displayed at the entrance to today's event. It is the product of a unique company that designs games consoles to be part of the games they play - to change the context and possibilities of the games themselves - rather than as engines of brute computing power.

But, given what we've learned today about Switch, it looks increasingly likely that it will be the last of its line.

Very little about the way Switch is coming to market feels right. Software is the initial, glaring issue. It is a depressingly familiar situation for Nintendo fans: a thin smattering of very minor offerings from third-parties, some of them painfully late in the day (such as Skyrim, not due until autumn), which barely papers the cracks between the releases from Nintendo's own studios - studios that are being stretched pretty thin themselves. Switch's UK launch line-up of just five games must be the slimmest ever, and the star, Zelda, will also be available on Wii U. Super Mario Odyssey's end-of-year release is soon enough on paper, but right now it feels a lifetime away.

Then there is the aggressive game pricing. £60 for Zelda, a £20 premium over the Wii U version, which to the best of our knowledge is identical (though from what we've seen, it does run more smoothly on Switch). £50 for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, a port of a three-year-old Wii U game - a devastatingly good one, but still. £40 for 1-2-Switch, a collection of mildly amusing but totally throwaway party minigames that is more Wii Play than Wii Sports, and should have been thrown in free with the console. £60 for Splatoon 2, which barely qualifies as a sequel and is closer to being an expanded port of a game that cost half as much when it was released two years ago. It's just not on. There aren't enough games, and Switch owners will be gouged for the few that are released. (And for peripherals too - the second set of Joy-Cons you will need to play Arms in local multiplayer costs, wait for it, £75.)

The pricing of the machine itself you might describe as high but fair. £280 seems quite a lot, and compares unfavourably to the price of a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. But then again, it's broadly competitive with other devices Switch is arguably competing with for parents' Christmas budgets, such as the iPad Mini. And Nintendo can't be blamed for the weak currencies that have inflated the console's price in the UK and Europe.

The above price comparison brings us to another uncomfortable truth, however. Nintendo is marketing Switch as a home console you can take with you, presumably to underline the fact that it provides a console-quality gaming experience on the move, which it inarguably does. But that pits it directly against PS4 and Xbox One, which are both cheaper and manifestly more capable. Experienced as a pure home console, Switch feels underpowered and outdated - a minor advance on Wii U, which was underpowered in its own day.

It is perhaps better to think of Switch as the ultimate luxury handheld, with a huge screen, bags of power, TV-out and support for local multiplayer on one unit. Or, perhaps, as a quirky alternative to those junior tablets, custom-designed for a great gaming experience. That seems like a fairer and more advantageous comparison, but it's a much tougher and muddier message to sell.

This isn't the only way in which Nintendo's plan for Switch seems like the slightly desperate design of a company that's stuck between a rock and a hard place. Wandering around today's event, it was obvious that Switch is bearing the brunt of all the company's various ambitions; that Nintendo needs it to be all things to all men, or at least all things to all market segments. 1-2-Switch is a clear play for the casual, party-gaming audience that the Wii so successfully won. Arms aims to combine motion gaming with the competitive edginess of Splatoon. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a naked pitch to those who skipped the last generation of Nintendo console (The Last of Us Remastered-style). Even Zelda is slightly compromised. As impressive as it was in handheld mode, it felt like a slightly uncomfortable fit - it struck me as a game that had been designed for the big-screen experience and then magically miniaturised. Which, as a game that began life on Wii U, is exactly what it is.
    What worries me is that that the pressure these teams will be operating under is intense. Nintendo wants Switch to synthesize its handheld and home console offerings. It also wants it to bring its casual and hardcore customers together. And, going by the pricing, it wants it all to happen now and make huge piles of money on the double - or else. I worry that it's too much for this machine to bear, and that it won't be given a chance to develop its own personality, or play to its strengths. More than that, I worry that the threadbare slate and eye-watering pricing will be off-putting, even - especially - to the diehard Nintendo fans who've bought half of these games before. Their loyalty, it seems, will be squeezed for every last drop, and in doing so it will be sorely tested.

I hope I'm wrong. Switch is a fascinating console - fun, innovative, unique, attractively designed, technically impressive in its own way, with a magical party trick and a compelling pitch. It deserves a better fate than the desperate, last-ditch mission Nintendo appears to be sending it on.
    DigitalFoundry - Zelda: Breath of the Wild hands-on impressions:

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You shouldn't judge Nintendo hardware until you've held it in your hands. The Kyoto company, with its dedication to the synthesis of software and hardware, has always revelled in the physicality of video games. It has habitually excelled at creating innovative, ergonomic and tactile kit that can surprise and delight, just through its design.

Nintendo Switch lives up to that heritage.
    Habitually excelled at ergonomic controls? Bullshit.

*edit*

So initially not reading it, I put that it looks like someone out to give Nintendo another glowing review, but does actually criticize them for price and graphics. They don't touch up on things outside of the price of just the Switch(except alluding to this being the Wii U once again,) but the criticisms they do give are valid.

//

Nintendo kind of put themselves in a lose lose situation with the price. Think about it this way. If you look at the system as a console, you're getting an underpowered console for the exact same price (or more depending on the area) you get a Xbox One S or PS4, not to mention you'll also get a vast library of games that are pretty cheap to buy right now on those other consoles rather than the pathetic line up that's full priced. If you look at it as a portable, it's a portable that costs the same amount as a console. Games that are now developed on a much lower portable console budget are now going to cost $60. This is ontop of Nintendo almost never lowering their prices for games. It's not really a good outlook for anyone who is looking for a cost efficient system to buy, the reason that a lot of parents buy handheld systems for their kids.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-15-2017 at 10:03 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I had something here, but arguing with a lying raging cunt like yourself isn't worth feeding a troll. A troll that is strongly the reason why you don't see new people signing up anymore here because childish behavior doesn't keep people around.
    Says the guy who lied about the specs of the Switch, got caught in his lies and tried to delete all his posts, only to be too stupid to realize he had already had his posts captured as quotes. The bottom line is the only one here who is a liar is you and rather than have the dignity and self-respect to either apologize and admit your mistake or better yet, not come back, you have again doubled down on the name calling and attempts to shift focus away from your lies. But please, keep telling us about how new users are being scared away by people who have civilized discussions based on logic and don't use offensive language but are somehow going to be excited about sharing a forum with an uneducated, lying vulgarian such as yourself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I liked the Wii U.

So far not interested at all in this system and see it as technically inferior in so many ways to the Wii U, and as far as judging it as a portable, lol, no...

Next...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Vulgarian sure, with you. Personally I'd love nothing more to see a self serving piece of shit with an agenda who lies to put themselves on a soap box before others brutally raped, beaten and left for dead as there is no place in the world for your type. I'd love nothing more than to see you fitted for a columbian necktie as you'd look good in it. I pulled back my snark last time but if you're going to persist pushing your bullshit, whatever and I don't give fuck all about the fall out from it either.

I've never lied once, you can't prove I ever lied either. Console development is fluid, any moron would know that, so what's that speak for yourself? Just because I get told something months ago, then shit changes, somehow that makes me a liar. Whatever makes you feel better so you can keep being a fucking troll. Assholes like you are why this place has died off, you're a prick and pricks drive people not to want to register or participate. You're refusing to use any logic, just smear and snark, larger words to look more intelligent than you are, then try and act all high and mighty when someone like me pops off at a troll being a troll.

I will NEVER apologize for lying as I did NOT lie. I don't owe you personally shit. Like I give a damn about your ideas of dignity on a dying outdated web forum. I saw you demanding satisfaction a month or two ago I just ignored it, but right now I don't care about that any more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Don't let Bojay1997's troll antics get under your skin Tanooki. I figured out a long time ago that he was an ass.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Don't let Bojay1997's troll antics get under your skin Tanooki. I figured out a long time ago that he was an ass.
    I would assume you literally don't understand what a troll is if you think that someone like myself who shares opinions backed by facts is somehow a troll. I would also suggest you read the post from Tanooki above yours and give it some real consideration if you're the kind of person that thinks that kind of language and wishing people death as he has done here is ever an appropriate way to interact with another human being. It might be hard for you understand because he went back and deleted his posts, but he literally got into a fight with a number of us that simply questioned his claim that the Switch would be equivalent to the PS4 and Xbox One in technical capability. He claimed his brother had insider information and that anyone that questioned the truth of the information was a liar and wrong and had no right to a contrary opinion. Of course, as others pointed out, this isn't the first time he has made false claims about the capabilities of hardware and attacked people who pointed out that he is wrong. Again, I have no problem with someone getting something wrong, but going on the offensive and then not having the decency to admit the mistake and instead using hateful language is never an appropriate response. Of course, we now live in a "post-truth" society where people use misdirection and no longer believe that societal norms no longer apply, so I guess Tanooki may actually be the sad future of where we are headed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Blah! Blah! Blah! Ass confirmed!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
    Last edited by Gamevet; 01-16-2017 at 12:00 PM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Vulgarian sure, with you. Personally I'd love nothing more to see a self serving piece of shit with an agenda who lies to put themselves on a soap box before others brutally raped, beaten and left for dead as there is no place in the world for your type. I'd love nothing more than to see you fitted for a columbian necktie as you'd look good in it. I pulled back my snark last time but if you're going to persist pushing your bullshit, whatever and I don't give fuck all about the fall out from it either.

I've never lied once, you can't prove I ever lied either. Console development is fluid, any moron would know that, so what's that speak for yourself? Just because I get told something months ago, then shit changes, somehow that makes me a liar. Whatever makes you feel better so you can keep being a fucking troll. Assholes like you are why this place has died off, you're a prick and pricks drive people not to want to register or participate. You're refusing to use any logic, just smear and snark, larger words to look more intelligent than you are, then try and act all high and mighty when someone like me pops off at a troll being a troll.

I will NEVER apologize for lying as I did NOT lie. I don't owe you personally shit. Like I give a damn about your ideas of dignity on a dying outdated web forum. I saw you demanding satisfaction a month or two ago I just ignored it, but right now I don't care about that any more.
    Seriously guy, what is your deal???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Ass confirmed!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
    Yup and he's so wrapped up in his behavior it has become normal. It's not so much he's getting to me, I don't put up being called a liar when I'm not being one. If I were then I'd be playing fun with it and admit it. Yeah I'm being nasty it's because I gave up caring, nothing more or less, so if I'm going to go out in a blaze of vulgarity I welcome it. Yup I erased my posts, just to screw with him trying to twist my words into lies, not that it did a lot of good as much of it was quoted anyways. I can't make it any clearer things change in development, if some company decides to save a buck and dumbs down some chip or some clock speed to fit their designs and budget, so be it. Gamecube did it months before it came out in 2001 (documented in the gaming press and online if you can find it) which sent Nintendo into overdrive to meet their launch as they didn't delay it. Same thing here it appears this go around. If that is a lie in someones warped sense of reality, so be it, but I'm not going to retract it nor admit to something I did not do (lying or a mistake) and if I get shitcanned mouthing off, fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This thing looks kinda cool. I'll probably pick one up in a couple years when it is $250 and maybe has a pack-in title. Mario Odyssey looks neat, and while I was lukewarm on Zelda: BotW before, that newest trailer was pretty spiffy.

I'm pretty much over dedicated consoles, but the portability of this device sells me on it. By portability, I mean the ability to move around the house playing it, or at a friend's house (without lugging the console with it) not taking it out in public, on a bus or whatever.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Yup and he's so wrapped up in his behavior it has become normal. It's not so much he's getting to me, I don't put up being called a liar when I'm not being one. If I were then I'd be playing fun with it and admit it. Yeah I'm being nasty it's because I gave up caring, nothing more or less, so if I'm going to go out in a blaze of vulgarity I welcome it. Yup I erased my posts, just to screw with him trying to twist my words into lies, not that it did a lot of good as much of it was quoted anyways. I can't make it any clearer things change in development, if some company decides to save a buck and dumbs down some chip or some clock speed to fit their designs and budget, so be it. Gamecube did it months before it came out in 2001 (documented in the gaming press and online if you can find it) which sent Nintendo into overdrive to meet their launch as they didn't delay it. Same thing here it appears this go around. If that is a lie in someones warped sense of reality, so be it, but I'm not going to retract it nor admit to something I did not do (lying or a mistake) and if I get shitcanned mouthing off, fine.
    If you gave up caring, just leave. No need to throw another tantrum and smash stuff on your way out.

Erased your posts to screw with him twisting your words into lies? What? That doesn't make any sense. Early in this thread people presented ideas counter to your own and you started name-calling instead of discussing the logic and relative merits of different points. There have been so many times where you've made it clear you have no concept of logic.

You aren't convincing anyone with your 'changes in development' excuse. Sure, it happens, but in this case your "insider information" conflicted with a couple independant reports of chipsets and design that were already available. You never addressed those or participated in the discussion others were having, you just in effect yelled louder "I'm right, you're wrong" and threw in some name calling. It is no wonder people consider you a liar when you are repeatedly wrong, double down and turn nasty, are later proven wrong, and then just blame others. Take some responsibility.

As for my thoughts on the Switch, I agree with a lot of the quoted article above. It is in a tough spot in the market. For me, on the go play isn't really something I'd use, so as a home console it is pretty underwhelming. I'm a fan of Nintendo properties, but am also a late adopter in most cases, so I'll likely get one of these down the road a few years when there are some games for it.
    Last edited by Cornelius; 01-17-2017 at 06:32 PM.