Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The official Nintendo Switch thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Seems to be still too much unknown as a whole lot of non-generic customizations are up to speculation with them repeatedly using the word 'assuming' or some variant of it. In the end their closing statement really is that it's impressive for what they know, temper expectations, yet it's in the end always about the games. If they games are worth it people will come, and if not, they're screwed.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Yup it was, also him playing that kind of roman emperor thumb of disapp...approval! thing on Jimmy was funny enough.

I get it. It's really not hard at all to get the Switch unlike the WiiU. If someone fails to understand what they're after, it's just not meant for you and that's really about it. They know consoles are waning and they're getting out of it, just not entirely. They've created basically an android tablet that happens to have a built in normalized controller around it or breaks off it with a spacer, and it so happens can be docked into a slot that sends a higher resolution image to a full size TV. That's it. It's basically the Nvidia Shield 2 both tablet and microconsole rolled into one.

You have to love, like, or at least understand what Nvidia was doing with the shield to get the point and know that is what you're getting and it happens to be Nintendo branded with their IP exclusively thrown on there. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't try and be the baddest badass on the block. It tries to be the most common sense and useful tool in the shed who wants something that is a solid experience, something that doesn't just mind blow you to nuts with a bunch of fluff and foof, but does it by doing what it does itself best.

That's how I see it and I feel a lot of people do who aren't Nintendo crackheads, blinded haters, or corporate stooges or suck ups to the other guys in the same general space. If you go in expecting a box that'll rival the existing (non-pro) PS4/One experience you're likely going to look like an idiot and be disappointed. If you expect something somewhere between the last and this generation, closer to this one, then I think it's a bit more realistic.
    I'm not following. Didn't your brother tell you that the Switch was on the level of the PS4/One more or less? How can you now be claiming that it's not? Is it possible you weren't telling us the truth or that your brother just didn't have the correct information? Since you have deleted many of your older posts in this thread, maybe this will refresh your recollection:

"As I have been told, it is on the level of the PS4/one more or less, not of their now and upcoming 4K and VR ready boxes. Fear not its not the PS3 again with the thing being totally in the dark. But also keep in mind that theyre not competing with the other two clown car shows out there now as theyre in the microconsole space with this."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I said they were led to believe it could be as good as that if I remember correctly. Whatever the case is, it'll either sell or flop again in the end. I don't remember writing that word for word, as you said I got fed up with the arguing and erased my posts. If it's nicer than PS3/WiiU good, if it's not as nice as PS4/One oh well. It just needs good games to survive and a good support system which on both parts WiiU lacked. With that, ninja magic or something, but I'm not going to get into another nasty back and forward over Nintendo of all things as they're not worth it anymore to me. They're not the company they once were under the iron fist of Yamauchi and they're worse off for it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I said they were led to believe it could be as good as that if I remember correctly. Whatever the case is, it'll either sell or flop again in the end. I don't remember writing that word for word, as you said I got fed up with the arguing and erased my posts. If it's nicer than PS3/WiiU good, if it's not as nice as PS4/One oh well. It just needs good games to survive and a good support system which on both parts WiiU lacked. With that, ninja magic or something, but I'm not going to get into another nasty back and forward over Nintendo of all things as they're not worth it anymore to me. They're not the company they once were under the iron fist of Yamauchi and they're worse off for it.

I'm sorry, but I have a real problem with you trying to disclaim your personal attacks on me and other participants in this thread by claiming you never said what I directly quoted you as saying. You specifically told us you had insider information from your brother that the Switch was near equal in performance to the current (non-Pro/Scorpio) versions of the PS4 and Xbox One. When some of us questioned those claims, you engaged in very offensive name calling and personal attacks, claiming that you were the only one that had facts and that we were unreasonable for arguing to the contrary. As it turns out, your statements were not accurate. So, given your track record, should we not believe anything you say going forward and when can those of us you personally attacked expect an apology?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I agree Tanooki acted like a dick right after i wrote about my concerns that might end in the final product. I wouldnt be surprised if i would be right in the end knowing Nintendo! Also changing all your replies to meh! makes you look like a 9 year old

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As I have been told, it is on the level of the PS4/one more or less, not of their now and upcoming 4K and VR ready boxes. Fear not its not the PS3 again with the thing being totally in the dark. But also keep in mind that theyre not competing with the other two clown car shows out there now as theyre in the microconsole space with this
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I think that's very unlikely. It will probably be more along the lines of an enhanced NVIDIA Shield as it shares a lot in common with that architecture.
    We have a winner?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Maybe I'm late to the party but I've been watching some vids and seeing what people's concerns and expectations are.

From what i gather people are pissed because the Tegra chipset is maxwell hardware and for some reason they expect pascal...the equivalent of a GeForce 1080. Are they fucking insane? Why would anyone expect that? Video cards with that architecture currently cos $500 retail. Not even a PS4 has that.

The concerns that I do agree with are those about Nintendo's insistence on doing something weird with the hardware that discourages 3rd party publishers from taking a bite.

First off, the machine is underpowered at baseline compared to other consoles currently around. So devs will have to make a lot changes to port their games over to this thing. In addition, the power reduces by 40% when you undock the machine, so devs will also have to make their games stable after a significant power drop.

Nintendo does this with every machine they release in some way. And the notion that they are "not competing" with Sony and ms is misguided, as much as Nintendo chooses to it. They make video game machines. By definition they are in competition with other console manufacturers. And if no one wants to deal with the extra work required to port to their machine, there will be a small library, and small libraries don't sell consoles.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The Switch is indeed underpowered, it's not even twice as more powerful than the Wii U, so being a 9th gen console, the Switch is now two generations behind in power, but the plus side is that it's still a hybrid. As someone who likes consoles better than handhelds and would have purchased the Switch versions over the PS4 versions if the power was similar, that way I'd also be able to play both the portable and console versions but not have any performance issues over the PS4 version I now can't do that. However, the plus side is that there are still a lot of devs that have 3DS exclusives that will more than likely jump over to the Switch, Atlus is one for example, and those games will not be able to be played docked on the TV instead of only as a portable. Additionally, the system is still what's essentially a portable with the power of the Wii U as well, so in that regard there are still things to like about it.

Overall, I'm disappointed, but I'm still going to be getting one because while I do like consoles more, I also like handhelds as well. It's not going to be any time soon, I'm not buying into the console as soon as there's a minimum of 10 games I absolutely want to purchase, not just, eh I'm kind of interested so I'll pick it up and end with about 10 games like what happened with the Wii U. Not going to happen again where I feel like I threw my money away on a Nintendo product because Nintendo can't get any support.

That being said, based on how many Wii U and 3DS owners, as well as handheld fans, plus the uniqueness of a hybrid console. I predict this will sell anywhere between 40m - 70m, with a more absolute prediction of around 50m, so if my prediction is anywhere close to actual sales, it should see decent support.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-24-2016 at 12:25 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The Switch is indeed underpowered, it's not even twice as more powerful than the Wii U, so being a 9th gen console, the Switch is now two generations behind in power, but the plus side is that it's still a hybrid. As someone who likes consoles better than handhelds and would have purchased the Switch versions over the PS4 versions if the power was similar, that way I'd also be able to play both the portable and console versions but not have any performance issues over the PS4 version I now can't do that. However, the plus side is that there are still a lot of devs that have 3DS exclusives that will more than likely jump over to the Switch, Atlus is one for example, and those games will not be able to be played docked on the TV instead of only as a portable. Additionally, the system is still what's essentially a portable with the power of the Wii U as well, so in that regard there are still things to like about it.

Overall, I'm disappointed, but I'm still going to be getting one because while I do like consoles more, I also like handhelds as well. It's not going to be any time soon, I'm not buying into the console as soon as there's a minimum of 10 games I absolutely want to purchase, not just, eh I'm kind of interested so I'll pick it up and end with about 10 games like what happened with the Wii U. Not going to happen again where I feel like I threw my money away on a Nintendo product because Nintendo can't get any support.

That being said, based on how many Wii U and 3DS owners, as well as handheld fans, plus the uniqueness of a hybrid console. I predict this will sell anywhere between 40m - 70m, with a more absolute prediction of around 50m, so if my prediction is anywhere close to actual sales, it should see decent support.
    Yeah, the way I really see it is that it's the successor to the 3ds that just happens to work on a tv. Given Nintendo's dominance in the handheld market for 2 decades (maybe even more?) that's probably what it's going to be. It makes sense. For a handheld it's a pretty nice package. There are many 3ds games I wish were consolized. I hate playing on that thing. Maybe this is the handheld I've been waiting for?

My stance is this, however : metroid or gtfo. It won't happen, tho. Metroid doesn't make money for them anymore. Just Dance outsold prime 3 like 10:1.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was talking to the girl at a local Gameslop and she told me they started taking preorders for this thing today. They're going to be short in supply on these things too. Each store only getting a few dozen, maybe. How do you expect to make money when you can't even put a product on the shelf?

Retarded. Expect to see ebayers and craigslisters selling their preorder tickets for 3x the price. Should've preordered a couple myself to scalp motherfuckers and make a few bucks.
    Last edited by FieryReign; 01-13-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Was talking to the girl at a local Gameslop and she told me they started taking preorders for this thing today. They're going to be short in supply on these things too. Each store only getting a few dozen, maybe. How do you expect to make money when you can't even put a product on the shelf?

Retarded. Expect to see ebayers and craigslisters selling their preorder tickets for 3x the price. Should've preordered a couple myself to scalp motherfuckers and make a few bucks.
    I'm so over Nintendo. I didn't watch the live stream yesterday but my friends said it was abysmal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

Passed on the Wii U, but I preordered the Switch because I like the idea of portable console-quality experiences and want to support that effort. If Sony could do something like this (a fully realized PS4/Vita console combo) that would be unreal. I'd like to see Nintendo provide a bit more detail on its online offerings and whether there will be any type of trophy/achievement/game history/game sharing/etc system (I kinda doubt it on all fronts). Nintendo is hitching this launch to a Zelda title that is also releasing on Wii U, which seems extremely risky. I'm going to nab Zelda, Bomberman and maybe one of the racing games out of the gate.

I'm really hoping Nintendo embraces indie publishing like Sony has. If so, the Switch could be a great console to play and collect for. To truly thrive, though, it'll need AAA stuff, and I don't see big-time publishers going overboard for this console. I've seen EA release half-assed ports of FIFA on Nintendo consoles before, and this looks like another indication of that kind of tepid support. Skyrim is nothing to really go crazy about, its an old game that Bethesda is safely testing out the market by re-releasing.
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It really wasn't that hard to get a preorder. Amazon, Gamestop, Target and Best Buy all had them available for online orders last night into this morning. Gamestop got between 5 and 50 per store just for preorders today which is a lot compared to something that really was short stocked like the NES Classic and especially when you consider Gamestop alone has 4400 stores in the US. I doubt there's going to be much resale value over MSRP on these as the supply levels out in the next few weeks.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DOAsaturn View Post
    Passed on the Wii U, but I preordered the Switch because I like the idea of portable console-quality experiences and want to support that effort. If Sony could do something like this (a fully realized PS4/Vita console combo) that would be unreal. I'd like to see Nintendo provide a bit more detail on its online offerings and whether there will be any type of trophy/achievement/game history/game sharing/etc system (I kinda doubt it on all fronts). Nintendo is hitching this launch to a Zelda title that is also releasing on Wii U, which seems extremely risky. I'm going to nab Zelda, Bomberman and maybe one of the racing games out of the gate.

I'm really hoping Nintendo embraces indie publishing like Sony has. If so, the Switch could be a great console to play and collect for. To truly thrive, though, it'll need AAA stuff, and I don't see big-time publishers going overboard for this console. I've seen EA release half-assed ports of FIFA on Nintendo consoles before, and this looks like another indication of that kind of tepid support. Skyrim is nothing to really go crazy about, its an old game that Bethesda is safely testing out the market by re-releasing.
    Going region free and seemingly embracing indie publishers by doing physical versions of Binding of Isaac and Has Been Heroes are big strives forward for Nintendo in my book. I will say that I was pretty disappointed with the third party stuff from EA and Bethesda. I also just saw that Fifa is a port of the PS3/Xbox 360 version which is a good indication of what the relative ability of the Switch hardware is in connection with running current generation engines. Despite that, I saw enough last night to get excited and while I suspect this is going to be another WiiU software wise, I feel like for $300, I can get plenty of enjoyment out of it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    It really wasn't that hard to get a preorder. Amazon, Gamestop, Target and Best Buy all had them available for online orders last night into this morning. Gamestop got between 5 and 50 per store just for preorders today which is a lot compared to something that really was short stocked like the NES Classic and especially when you consider Gamestop alone has 4400 stores in the US. I doubt there's going to be much resale value over MSRP on these as the supply levels out in the next few weeks.
    Check ebay, my friend. I've already seen talk of the preorders selling out already. Nintendo is weird.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Check ebay, my friend. I've already seen talk of the preorders selling out already. Nintendo is weird.
    Oh, I did. 1600+ listed, only a few sold and those that were went for barely over MSRP. Frankly, the Zelda Master CE is going far quicker than all those overpriced preorder listings for the actual console. This is similar to what happened with the WiiU. Preorders seemed to sell out immediately and then in the weeks leading up to launch, the supply situation became more loose as flippers realized it wasn't worth their effort and people released their second and third back-up preorders. The same will happen here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm about the last person to jump on a special box set but that Zelda one was tempting, either. That safety case for the device is something I think is a wise grab and it looks nice, but if you're into old school or new Zelda that rusted well weathered Master Sword is a hell of an item sadly scalpers will be all over. They're gone now aren't they?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I didn't watch the reveal but checked out all the news of the reveal afterwards, and it's a big case of Nintendo being Nintendo. $300 for the console with no game. For a system that's over four times weaker than the PS4 and over three times weaker than the Xbox One, it just shows how much of a greedy pos company Nintendo is and always has been with their pricing. $70 for a Pro controller which is higher priced than both the PS4 and Xbox One controllers, and that's if they're not on sale, I don't think I've ever had an issue getting a new controller for $45 or less on the PS4 because they're almost always on sale(not going to happen with Nintendo, and if it does it'll be a rarity. $50 per Joycon or $80 for a bundle of two, and $20 for the center piece. System doesn't have an ethernet port, another piece of hardware you need to buy separately, but they want to charge for online. I'm surprised I don't have to purchase a power adapter to plug the pos in.

All of the above, I was like okay, no big deal really I guess, but it was the online that was really the thing that pissed me off. Now sure, I pay for PS+, but to be fair, I paid for PS+ long before PS4 required to play online, I enjoy getting the free games, completely worth it considering that you get five per month and some great sales. But with Nintendo, the fact that they don't even have ample third party support and they're expecting us to pay a yearly fee for onlline which might be just one or two games a year, or even one or two games period. Splatoon 2 despite having an interest in is it not even a blip on my radar any longer because of the forced online. I initially saw Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 and I was like, hey, since it might not perform much better on PS4, maybe I'll just get the Switch version, but my opinion changed because of the online cost. With how bad their online infrastructure is for many first party games, Nintendo putting paid online in any form just shows how scummy the company is. In the original Splatoon there was a freaking four hour rotation before you could play two more maps. You couldn't even play with friends a good year after the game came out, because 90% of the time they were on the other team, and then when they patched it in later, it's on the match type that I didn't even like. Super Smash Bros for the Wii U lets you set up games with friends and only friends, so if you and a friend want to play versus randoms, go fuck yourself. The infrastructure on Nintendo's online is pretty much stuck in the mid 90s. If someone told you Nintendo was charging for online you'd thought it was a bad joke, but it's true.

That being said, if you look at the list of releases for the rest of the year, the release line up is worse than the N64s first full year. Most of the games are ports, many of them are niche titles that are already on the PS4. There are multiconsole games, and then the few exclusives are indie games, Mario Oddysey.

Another thing that pisses me off is the fact that this is basically killing the 3DS. Look at this game right here by Silicon Studios. Based on the graphics and the design It was clearly being made for the 3DS, but just so Nintendo can get another Switch game, they probably paid for it to be moved over to the Switch. I care about it simply because I love the 3D effect on the 3DS. If the 3D effect is actually good and doesn't cause strain to my eyes, I'll play the game with it on. It has a much better graphical appeal than better graphics, because of the depth. Thanks Nintendo for screwing people who own a past system of yours. Not like it hasn't happened before. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Cz5IQ5bIg

That being said, I'll still be getting a Switch, but knowing Nintendo it'll be a Switch 2.0/XL/Whateverthefucktheycallit, the better version of the Switch with better battery life and numerous other improvements. Depending on the game I will pick it up for the Switch over the PS4, just as long as the PS4 performance and graphical quality of that specific type of game doesn't far exceed the Switch version. If it's a game I intend to play online, going to get it on the PS4.

This could have been such an amazing console if Nintendo didn't try to be Nintendo.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I think it's not quite right to compare its horsepower to PS4 or XBox One. This is a tablet after all! It's never going to be as powerful, and Nintendo can't compete with them anyway.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I'm surprised I don't have to purchase a power adapter to plug the pos in.
    I wouldn't put it past them. Has it been confirmed to include a power source? Remember the New 3ds didn't include them. A ridiculous and unnecessary nightmare for customers who bought one, while trading in their old 3ds. I'm sure it wasn't very pleasant for game stores either.

When did they become so cheap and start to nickel and dime consumers? Are they struggling that badly? Or is it really greed and thinking their fans will blindly purchase anything with that logo on it?