Thread: The original Half-Life, something I always wondered about....

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default The original Half-Life, something I always wondered about....

So this is about Half-Life, NOT the Source version or the Black Mesa remake. In fact I don't even have Steam (I'd get it if I had a desktop gaming PC that could run HL2 but I don't...)

Anyway:

In one chapter you're climbing these ladders up these elevator shafts, and there's a scientist dangling precariously from one of the ladders, and once you get up high enough, he falls.

I once heard there's a way to save this scientist and if you do, he's able to open up a secret room.

Anyone have anything about this or is this just a "schoolyard rumor" (though I was long out of school when I first heard this)?

For that matter, ARE there any scripted-to-die scientists you can actually save?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know, there aren't any scientists you can save from pre-scripted death.

I also find it sad that these days, it's nearly impossible to find anyone talking about or playing the original releases of many PC games. Not just Half-Life (and anything else by Valve), but Serious Sam and anything on GOG.

Come join us on Micro-64

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

try it out with no clip and see?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Given the sales at GoG I think it is this tiny board not talking much. Racketboy has a decent few threads about old PC gaming and independent of those an ongonig GoG sales thread as well people talk up.

There was some solid buzz the other day over EAs latest trio of releaseson there from the MoH and Crysis family.

If you have a GoG account the board there is heavily trafficed and not by dimwits like you get over at places like gamefaqs.com too. I would think the few active people here probably would talk that stuff up if there were threads present and new, but few like to be the starter.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Honestly what makes me sad is trying to find mods for the original Half-Life.

Nowadays, it seems like all of them require you to have Steam, and are actually for Half-Life 2. For example I tried to play Afraid of Monsters (supposedly an HL1 mod) but it just didn't work for me no matter what I did. It just sucks that I have to have a more modern computer than the one Half-Life itself will run just fine on, just to play some stinkin' mods.

I mean at least with Doom, you're warned in advance that the game requires a sourceport like ZDoom or something.