Thread: Hello all ..wanting to start a game collection

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hello all ..wanting to start a game collection

Well i have lurked around this fourm for awhile and i think its a pretty nice non-hostile place ..anyway the matter at hand , i want to start a nice game collection i was just wondering what kind of suggestions you all could offer me for good games to collect and good places to get them . I havent had any experience Ebaying ..but advice would be GREATLY welcome on that matter. I just started getting into MAME and emulation so i diecided to buy the real games to collect and play the emulated ones on my Soon to be finish MAMA arcade cabinet. Also i am looking for a really nice Arcade Stick . Thanks a million for any help you folks can offer :P

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Welcome to the list, Clarknova. As far as suggestions, I think we're going to need a bit more information into your interests before we can make suggestions. For instance, what are your favorite game genres? Fighting? RPG? Platform? Even more importantly, we don't even know what systems you own or plan to build a collection for. So give us a bit more info and the suggestions will surely begin to fly.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rogmeister
    Welcome to the list, Clarknova. As far as suggestions, I think we're going to need a bit more information into your interests before we can make suggestions. For instance, what are your favorite game genres? Fighting? RPG? Platform? Even more importantly, we don't even know what systems you own or plan to build a collection for. So give us a bit more info and the suggestions will surely begin to fly.
    Yes more deals about you intrests would help us guide you a bit more then we could right now, and also seeing as how you mentioned ebay, be careful with ebay 5 years or so ago ebay was a place to get great deals it still is but not like before, sometimes people actually over charge now more on ebay I have come to notice, so just watch that okay .

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I think this is the first time I've ever suggested this.... but I think a good person to talk to on these forums is KAINE23!

Chris is a "new collector" too. On a budget and ever-learning, I can't think of another person closer to your situation. Hopefully he'll jump in here with his personal experience in getting started over the past year or two, but I can say that classic gaming is by and large very affordable. You can buy stacks of Atari 2600, Intellivision, and NES cartridges - though you'll immediately notice when you've crossed over into "non-common" territory.

Help us help you. What games/systems are you targeting?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heya, Clarknova! Welcome to the Retrogaming Roundtable! I'm very glad that you like what you see enough to join the fray! Please don't forget to stop into our "Introduce Yourself" thread at the top of this forum; we sure are nosy people and we'd like to know all about you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Game on!

Ahhhh I remember when I decided to give up my ways as a non gamer and turn to the light side! Seriously, welcome and I have a few suggestions. I recommend going for the basics right now, good and cheap. You cant go wrong with the nes(easily available games and cheap prices). The games are fun to play. Not knowing what you like, I would take it from there. If you like 2D fighting there is always the Dreamcast(Cheap and awsome 2d fighters.) There is so much to choose from.....I suggest to dive in, get one system, and play some games!!!! From there, you can decide what you like and what you dont. Welcome aboard, grab some gaming fuel(mountain dew, doritos) sit down, and plug in!!!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spread the word about Donkey Kong 3!!
    Damn you for ruining my life Nintendo!!
    Motto: "As long as it's not stupid monkeys, I'm your exterminator!"

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey there Clarknova. Since I am fairly new to collecting, I think I can offer some suggestions to getting your collection started.

The best place, by far, to get video games of any kind is Garage Sales. A lot of my collection came from Garage Sales. They are a cheap place (most of the time) to get a lot of games. I know that Garage Sales are not the best in some areas, but give them a try. I love getting up early Saturday morning and heading out to see what I could find.

I would also say that pawn shops, thrift stores and second hand stores are also great places to find games.

I myself collect mainly for the NES. They are dirt cheap around here mostly, so I managed to get around 400 since I started collecting (Which is one year this month). I would also suggest picking up anything game related you find, mainly because they could be traded for something that you might really want. I collect for the NES, but I probably have games for 10 systems in my room.

I guess the #1 thing I could suggest is to set a bugget for your buying. But I would always keep a little more on you if you can, just so you don't have to pass up a great deal if one comes by.

Theres my two cents.
    Hope you have a great time collecting. I know I have.
    ~Rich

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks alot for the responses and nice to meet ya all .. as far as my genre intrest well to be honest i love all of them ( yes all and i really love fighting games I.E. Neo Geo style or Capcom style . Not to say i don't love a good 3d fighter the systems i have are Dreamcast ( 14 games ) , Xbox ( 20 games ) SNES (4 games i know small but growning Gamecube ( 8 games) PS2 (10 games) Sega Genesis (12 games). So my collection is pretty meger , in terms of money to spend i wish to keep it 90 at most and 150 at most (for the really great stuff) which i know can hamper many Neo Geo games due to there HUGE price cost ( recent ones anyway) . I also love shooters btw , Radiant Silvergun kicks butt .. but i believe its a bit expensive no?
    anyway thanks for the posts i will intro my-self in the proper post

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Hey Clark, kaine here. feel free to IM me or email me anytime with some advice and whatnot.

Do you still have any of your systems when you were growing up or whatever? if so that's a great way to start! Since I have all my old systems from Atari to now I had most my games still so I had a good start. Always check stores, garage sales and even ebay for the occasional deal and never be scared to ask us for trades/buys too. Many of us have tradebait and extras we'd love to help a new collector with. Best people to ask about trade baits is possibly DP himself and I highly ecommend Clubninja or Christianscott since they're two the best traders and collecters to deal with here.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Just wanted to mention I've been helping Clark out alot with getting started in collecting and whatnot.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also talk to friends, you would be surprised at how many have old stuff that they would be willing to just give you, or let go for a cheap price.