Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: retroUSB AVS or NES Classic Edition?

Insert Coin (Level 0) spunky_d_99's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default retroUSB AVS or NES Classic Edition?

Okay, I'll try to keep this as concise as possible. I am one of the many would-be consumers that got burned by this whole fiasco with the release of the NES Classic Edition on 11/11/16. Over the weekend, I started considering the possiblity of getting a retroUSB AVS as a way of getting around (1) Nintendo's supply-and-demand game they love to play and (2) the eBay resellers preying on people's desire to enjoying some old games.

Granted, the AVS would cost me an additional $125 than the NES Classic Edition, but I would at least have the freedom to play other games of my choosing instead of being locked down to 30 games. I have around 50 NES games in my collection so far, and I'm sure they'd look great in HD with the AVS. But there's only one glaring problem...with the exception of Super Mario Bros. & Tecmo Bowl, I have none of the games that are on the NES Classic Edition.

And that's where having Classic Edition would make sense for me. We've all done the math and can easily see that 30 NES games for $60 is a no-brainer. There's just no way I could find the original carts of each game for that price. Not to mention, I would love to play them with wife and friends. So from that standpoint, it feels like purchasing the AVS just wouldn't be a financially smart decision. I mean, as much as I'm not thrilled with Nintendo's business practice of withholding quantities for the sake of hype-building, I don't want to make a brash decision that would ultimately cost me more in the long run just to say that I "stuck it to them". And let's be real, Nintendo will live on with or without my cash.

What do you think? Should I go for the AVS now, or just wait it out and see if the NES Classic Edition become available for it's intended price in the weeks to come?
    Spunk-A-Dunk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait it out. There should be an evntual restock in December

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I saw the avs in action at PRGE last month in action and it is pretty cool. Remember you can do famicom and disk system games on the AVS. I feel like $180ish bucks is a bit steep though.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spunky_d_99 View Post
    We've all done the math and can easily see that 30 NES games for $60 is a no-brainer.
    I sure have done the math.

http://www.americasmartshop.com/tvgame.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

While it's not a strict set of parts reading the game itself and running right from it, you'd be better off with a Retron5 (keep in mind the Classic NES is emulation too) unless you really must have that scoreboard asset to e-peen measure yourself against others for the highest scores. It costs less, supports 10 systems, that is if you want to buy all your cartridges and use them.

I can't recommend the AVS unless you want that competitive edge. Sure it runs the games vanilla and accurately without an android middleman, but you're also digging yourself a big expense unless you intend to snap up some everdrives to run ROMs. I'm not sure what all the games on the Classic NES add up to, but if you figure maybe a $10-15 average you're looking at $300-450 for the games + a console (AVS, Retron 5, or original.)

I think that system Nintendo put up one way or the other is justifiable to own because of the convenience factor, small size, ease of use and transport, and you don't have to drop hundreds to get the games.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I sure have done the math.
    You have gotten rather sassy as of late. I approve.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The NES Classic Edition is nice if you want to play all those games on it without hunting down the actual carts. In lieu of that, I personally would just go with a real NES running on a CRT. It's not worth spending a bunch more on an unofficial piece of hardware that's still going to have issues like input lag and looking bad because the games won't be running in their native resolution nor on the kind of screen they were designed for. If you're gonna get something that's less than ideal, it should be cheap, and I'm sure the NES Classic will eventually be easier to come by at its MSRP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I really wanted the nes classic edition, but the cord lenghts and no home button is a deal breaker. You can get a Ouya for a lot cheaper, than buy nostalgia for 1$ on the store, and you will also get all the other systems like ps1, turbo, sega, etc. Even if nes classic is an official product, its still just emulation... Nintendo should have put a 2gb storage in it and wi fi chip, and a virtual console store, they would have made millions more. And so what if it got hacked, its not like you cant play nintendo games on every possible platform today (android, ios , windows , linux, mac, etc.) so the games they would sell on the store would be revenue that they will never see from people who would buy the games legally.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It's a fun little idea, but I think I'd rather put the $60 towards the cost of an Everdrive and not limit things to 30 games. And of course it's in short supply, Nintendo's been pulling that trick since the days of "chip shortages" keeping certain NES games in high demand, keeping Wii systems in short supply (and therefore a hot item) over 2 years after it was released, and of course the Amiibos.

AVS would be cool to have, but composite on a CRT is fine for me, it's how I've always played Nintendo.

Just my opinions, if yours differ, that's cool.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    I really wanted the nes classic edition, but the cord lenghts and no home button is a deal breaker. You can get a Ouya for a lot cheaper, than buy nostalgia for 1$ on the store, and you will also get all the other systems like ps1, turbo, sega, etc. Even if nes classic is an official product, its still just emulation... Nintendo should have put a 2gb storage in it and wi fi chip, and a virtual console store, they would have made millions more. And so what if it got hacked, its not like you cant play nintendo games on every possible platform today (android, ios , windows , linux, mac, etc.) so the games they would sell on the store would be revenue that they will never see from people who would buy the games legally.
    I wish I had gone the Ouya route. People still got theirs?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fuck both of these useless things. GPD XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    I wish I had gone the Ouya route. People still got theirs?
    I still do. In fact last weekend I actually had time to compare emulators between a soft-modded Wii and an Ouya.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Still hooked up since 2013!! It is hands down the best for emulation IF you use a ps3 controller. Better than modded xbox and wii at least

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Fuck both of these useless things. GPD XD
    Fuck all of them. Original hardware with SD CRT and everdrive.

Come join us on Micro-64

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    There really is no comparison, I'm gonna be unhappy when my last CRT dies. Or maybe I'll be expire before then. Life goals!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Fuck this dumb advice. This is only if you want clutter and an empty bank account. You can't fit multiple systems/portables and all their games in your pocket with a big heavyass CRT that will need maintenance. GPD XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Going to agree maintaining a CRT now is kind of dumb. Poor display large and heavy. Don't agree so much dumping original hardware especially if using everdrives. Though stuff like the R5 or side loaded ouya or any good android high end tablet/micro console gets it done well too.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Going to agree maintaining a CRT now is kind of dumb. Poor display large and heavy. Don't agree so much dumping original hardware especially if using everdrives. Though stuff like the R5 or side loaded ouya or any good android high end tablet/micro console gets it done well too.
    Well, an RGB monitor like a Sony PVM or Mitsubishi MegaView is totally worth the trouble. There are a lot of systems that have RGB stock (not the NES unfortunately) and they look AMAZING. Plus your light guns will work.

Now with regards to the NES classic edition...it's cheap and convenient, but while the games on there are great, they're low-hanging fruit (common as dirt) and merely scratch the surface of the the NES has to offer. I honestly don't see the point of it. To me, the main feature that's even mildly appealing is the save states.

Save your money. Get a clone console (AVS/Retron 5, whatever) and invest in an Everdrive. It's more costly but you will get exponentially more for your investment than you would for an NES classic edition.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Having a CRT doesn't mean you have to have a huge CRT. A small CRT isn't that heavy nor does it take up tons of space. Considering the size of most people's HDTVs these days, a small SDTV is nothing. But, hey, if having a CRT around is worse to you than input lag, ugly graphics, and not being able to play a portion of the library, more power to you. Personally, I like my character to jump when I actually press the jump button.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Having a CRT doesn't mean you have to have a huge CRT. A small CRT isn't that heavy nor does it take up tons of space. Considering the size of most people's HDTVs these days, a small SDTV is nothing. But, hey, if having a CRT around is worse to you than input lag, ugly graphics, and not being able to play a portion of the library, more power to you. Personally, I like my character to jump when I actually press the jump button.
    ^
    This.

To get decent visual quality on an HDTV you need to have your systems modded and use a $3-500 upscaler. And even then they freak out with a 15khz signal.

No rhythm games from ps2 or earlier are playable on an HDTV due to lag. No parappa!