Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: retroUSB AVS or NES Classic Edition?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

^No you don't, but it is completely tv dependent on it. My current 2 similar sized TVs I have here, both LEDs display the stuff either sharp or soft, but not RCA blurry soft with ghosting. The input lag is non-existent as I can deal with precise stuff like Tyson so that's a non-issue. The worst would be no light gun games. Funny you mention rhythm games, I didn't have an issue playing Gitaroo Man at all on PS2 or when I had the stuff on Wii Guitar Hero 3 either.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If you're hooking up an actual NES to an HDTV, then the amount of input lag is dependent on the TV. If you're running something that's essentially an emulator machine, like an NES Classic or a Retron, then you're gonna get input lag regardless of what TV you use. And if you're using a piece of hardware with wireless controllers, it's gonna be worse yet.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

STOP THE PRESSES!

might wait it out because it seems...
    http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016...ni-runs-linux/

being able to load your own roms to the nes/famicom mini might not be far away

if a USB to serial is all that was needed that same method should be able to be used in order to mount an SD card and load roms to it. further investigation would need to be done in order to see if these roms pre loaded are modified in any way to make it work with the hardware but I am thinking that's un likely

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Add to those presses from the same link a substory on the guts: http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016...hips-hardware/

Some assumptions afoot, but it appears it's (if not hacked downward by Nintendo but is paper to spec accurate) more powerful than the Wii.

"Code numbers on chips led those users to determine that the system (which emulates NES games and displays them on 1080p displays) is primarily fuelled by an AllWinner R16 "system-on-chip" solution.

If the chip works as advertised by Chinese manufacturer AllWinner, as opposed to being customised for the Mini NES in any way, then it includes a dual-core Mali-400 GPU which could be powerful enough to pump out as many as 55 million triangles per second (in its 28nm 500MHz variant). There's also a quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU, which has been clocked at 1.2GHz in smartphones, as well as 256MB of DDR3 RAM and 512MB of NAND flash storage."

Also this: https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/co...cture_is_true/

Seems crazy but Nintendo being the king of cheap and general efficiency, this may have been far cheaper than any other options and it's actually (if right) more powerful than the NEW 3DS too.

This would lend credence to what I said many months ago about Nintendo thinking outward. If (and it has) this (as I said) sold very well they may look to do more since it's their in house emulation group doing it. Perhaps next we could very well get that Gameboy/GBC or GBA handheld, even more likely a SNES Classic Edition of which for any of these the hardware would have no problem. N64, not sure, really not a big tech person so I can't compare the figures, but would that be possible in those specs as well?? Nintendo could have went balls out with this so they could do best of setups for all their past hardware people get all tingly over to overpay on these days. Why not take advantage of people who don't want to be chumps paying $20 or $200 on a SNES game with a 30 game package for $60?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sorry about the double post, but this is something interesting reading into that reddit thread and here's the highlights:

A few people have run weird tests, and or looked at the board, seems to believe it has a data port going through USB. One person plugged the system into their PC and Windows device manager lists it as CLV-S-NESY, and if you hit reset button it switches modes and another hardware identifier pops up if you do it. Another person is an employee who works with Allwinter SOCs all day, such as the one in the Classic NES, it's very easy to hack and tweak to your needs.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    You have gotten rather sassy as of late. I approve.
    I've been in a bit of a bad mood lately due to various personal things going on right now, plus looking into this hobby now just leads to further irritation which is the opposite of what a hobby should be doing. There's barely any finds now, and any discussions on games now just lead to technical specs rather than the games themselves. If I cared that much about modern displays and resolutions I wouldn't be playing old games. People want to play 25 year old games but they'll only play them on current 1080p displays, while still using filters to make it look like they're being played on an old CRT display anyway.

It comes specifically to this new Nintendo plug and play system. Over 10 years ago various companies were producing cheap NES-on-a-chip systems that were everywhere including various mall kiosks. Plus stuff like the Atari Flashback and various other console plug and plays were coming out at the same time. Now Nintendo is jumping on the wagon and instead of being criticized like any other company would be for being too little too late, people are praising them like they're a genius. With current storage options and pricing they could have fit the entire NES and Famicom library on it for the same price. All of the games on it I already own, except for maybe two and one of those I sold off due to disliking it. Sega plug and plays have been around for years too and nobody really talks about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Poor display large and heavy.
    They weren't poor displays unless you only had low end junk. A quality CRT will have better colour accuracy than flat screen displays, the resolution doesn't matter as much to me as the colours.

Of course I watch videos on my laptop, but this is more for pure convenience than anything else. Plus everything I watch on it is free so there's that. I sure can tell the blacks are washed out a bit. It's the same with using an MP3 player, nobody chooses MP3s because they have better sound quality than other options. It's because you can fit 1000 hours of them in your pocket, and can get them for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Plus your light guns will work.
    Pretty much the biggest reason to keep SD CRTs around. Duck Hunt is one of the best games on the system, plus the various other light gun games on other consoles right through the Playstation and Saturn. I wouldn't give them up.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The AVS was made for hobbyists, the NES Classic was not. That's it in a nutshell.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

@gameguy: Gumshoe or gtfo

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    The AVS was made for hobbyists, the NES Classic was not. That's it in a nutshell.
    Wrong. The mini thing was obviously made for youtubers. People talkin bout they want one to give as a gift. Lies. They want one to pad their shelf with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Wrong. The mini thing was obviously made for youtubers. People talkin bout they want one to give as a gift. Lies. They want one to pad their shelf with.
    Wins the thread.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Does anybody remember the good old days where u could score a Nintendo + like 30 orig game carts for less than 50$ at a flea market?
    Now we have people scalping plug-n-play systems for like 400$...

seriously wtf is going on???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Does anybody remember the good old days where u could score a Nintendo + like 30 orig game carts for less than 50$ at a flea market?
    Now we have people scalping plug-n-play systems for like 400$...

seriously wtf is going on???
    Yes. All the noobs with money are shelf-queens and they're driving up the market. I was selling at SoCal Retrogaming Expo this year and sharing my booth with a buddy who had a big, expensive Neo-Geo AES collection. His Metal Slug 3 was going for $3000 by itself. Some kid came up and said "oh, Neo-Geo, I've heard of that" and ended up buying the whole setup for around $10K. Just insane. He couldn't have been older than 23.

They all want prestine shit, too. That's how you know they're not playing it. So many people manhandled my Mega Drive and Genesis games. At least 20 people went through my Rolling Thunder 2 and 3 carts and said "If they had manuals I'd get them."

My buddy owns a game shop and they charge $15 for SMB/Duck Hunt. And people pay it. Happily. He said "It's a system seller." I remember when they couldn't give those away. In my mind, it's a $0.99 cart.

This can't last forever. Stuff's only worth what people will pay for it. The last few conventions I went to there were multiple Little Samsons and Earthbounds that no one was buying. The bubble may be bursting soon.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Yes. All the noobs with money

This can't last forever. Stuff's only worth what people will pay for it. The last few conventions I went to there were multiple Little Samsons and Earthbounds that no one was buying. The bubble may be bursting soon.
    Yeah I hate to agree with that first statement but yeah, it does seem like alot of the noobs just cash out for whatever. Its a shame because it justifies scalpers & resellers asking super-high prices.

Yeah, and regarding the second statement.. yeah. I cant see vintage games continuing to rise in price because at some point it just gets rediculous. Its amazing what money can buy when you arent collecting mint in box 25 year old games. I doubt we will see the day when the rare good old stuff is cheap or worthless, but I do think retro games are very popular collectibles right now. I think its very possible that many expensive games will drop in price.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Good let it bust.
    I want a nes mini because i think it'll be a cheap alternative to a flash cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Watching what I have the last couple years in particular in disgust because I gave up trying, but not to a point of being uninformed I've noticed a few things. I think a bubble on the stuff has finally hit that jiggly bit where you wonder if it will break, at least with Nintendo pre-21st century console stuff. Those high points hit a few years back really haven't cracked any higher, it appears people are just wising up to it, or just hit the screw it point. But there has been an annoying buck shot effect I've seen just this year that wasn't there a year ago (lets be fair 2014.) When Nintendo got bad people started to spread out to look for the next un-molested grounds. The first notable to take it in the butt was the TG16/PCE stuff, being realistic not high demand or a favorite of most people of the era, but the prices, even on the most deplorable garbage isn't as cheap as even the fugly NES stuff out there now. From there it went wider to more considered niche stuff from known makers. Look at the SegaCD, 32X, and the Saturn (the good to best stuff) as it's ugly. Lately in the most recent of times, take a peek at the Master System. Back when I had that thing a little over a year and a half ago outside of a few select notables most of it wasn't worth more than your average Gameboy game...now it just sucks it's like back to original retail and rising at a clip.

That's why I think we're at a wobble point. As one thing gets too nauseating for enough someone's out there that care, they either A) give up, B) live in denial and grab for scraps, or C) find another system. But if it's C, how many other systems are there left if now the more uninteresting stuff to most like the SMS of all things is getting expensive? Eventually the price trolls will run out of stuff to screw with first by driving it up, and then by hitting a high that runs people off. We're already at both those points on the NES and SNES as they're not jumping anymore, yet they're barely if anything contracting. The secondary stuff and tertiary is going south (err north?) too. So what's left? Easy. Buying up the new stuff to screw people as hard as possible. NES Classic Edition, amiibo, collector's edition game or console box sets, and so called other (by manufacturer spin) limited edition fluff. Once they run out of crap to screw people on because they get more wise and more patient it will crack.

A nice side effect, the chinese are getting damn smart with their aftermarket cartridges on many levels. Ever notice the quality of GBA games that are bootlegs in the last 2 years? Plastic is correct (or like 1mm off on the mold), stickers down to the ink spray pattern are correct (or a pixel off on some piece of art if that), no more holes in the pins and they etch the right (C)Nintendo under there too. Internally high quaity chips, including save chips that need no battery to work. On the NES side, a brand new label called 'THE BEST 100 VIDEO GAMES' (even though it's a 143 in 1, all legit) is out there that replaces that 150in1 Super Games and it adds more of the high dolllar stuff, including JP only stuff with english translations, many battery save games on the board too. And that NES stuff is selling for like $30-40 a pop easy. Why? Scalpers...same experience, none of the feeling ripped off and poor effect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Funny because most of my friends who do not collect games, bought one, if they could.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

@gameguy: Gumshoe or gtfo
    I don't think I have Gumshoe yet, it's one I've been meaning to get but haven't come across for some reason. I meant to reply to this earlier but got busy and forgot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Going to agree maintaining a CRT now is kind of dumb. Poor display large and heavy. Don't agree so much dumping original hardware especially if using everdrives. Though stuff like the R5 or side loaded ouya or any good android high end tablet/micro console gets it done well too.
    Disagree. While input lag is minimal for most people, for some of us, we can tell the difference. With a CRT, you can still play light gun games which you can't do with modern HDTVs. My lady's grandson loves duck hunt and he wouldn't be playing that if the NES wasn't hooked up to the CRT.

I'm in the Original Hardware + CRT + Everdrive boat. Will cost you upwards of $200, but that will get you everything you need.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm sensitive to it, maybe not 20ms and above hyper sensitive, but before the TV I have now I had that problem on a large screen Samsung that made gaming impossible. I think the mileage really varies on the argument based on that due to input lag. Some TVs (more in the last 2 years) have been adding in added tech inside to drop that rating down to like a PC LCD but it adds a cost (like $200 2 years ago on a Sony so I skipped it.)

Light guns, 100% agree. There are work arounds people are developing, maybe it'll flourish next year on how to make one or modify an existing zapper as I agree Duck Hunt is fantastic.