Thread: Beggar Prince : New Sega Genesis / Mega Drive RPG

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default Beggar Prince : New Sega Genesis / Mega Drive RPG

Hey!

We @ Super Fighter Team have begun shipping our latest game: BEGGAR PRINCE. This RPG was our first commercial product back in 2006. Based on popular demand it has returned, this time as a Special 20th Anniversary Edition, to commemorate the game's initial release in Taiwan in 1996.

Full details and ordering options can be found on our website...

www.beggarprince.com

Thanks for your interest!

Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Ew, cardboard packaging.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I bought this back in the first or second print run... fun game. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Gen / md looks terrible on the box and label, regular genesis red and mega drive blue option would have been better

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

At least the art is about a million times better. Remember this horrendous art?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Gen / md looks terrible on the box and label, regular genesis red and mega drive blue option would have been better
    Writing "Genesis" or "Mega Drive" instead of "GEN/MD" would run into trademark issues. While Sega takes a relatively benign attitude toward homebrew/indie games, IIRC they've asked that their trademarks not be used in that way, as it would give the impression that the release had their official blessing (or something along those lines).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Anything different with the "Special 20th Anniversary Edition"?

I find this game intriguing. Looked on the website and didn't find anything specific about the "Special 20th Anniversary Edition".

Is this just a reprint or has there been fixes or changes since the original release?

Never played it, considering a purchase.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post

Urgh, Jesus.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

What's this artwork then?

The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The bizarre-o-matic boxart is practically tradition for cartridge games. We must honor tradition, and when the time comes regale the youngsters about how we had to walk down a whole hallway to our consoles, and then physically pull carts out of creep-o-tron lookin' boxes and put them in the toaster and hit the on switch. With our HANDS!
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post

That's the box art I have. It's... at least I liked the game.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Writing "Genesis" or "Mega Drive" instead of "GEN/MD" would run into trademark issues. While Sega takes a relatively benign attitude toward homebrew/indie games, IIRC they've asked that their trademarks not be used in that way, as it would give the impression that the release had their official blessing (or something along those lines).
    The art on both the box and especially the manual obscure the GEN/MD text though, that's just bad layout. The white lettering could have been layered visibly over pedo creep cat priest's arm, for example. Little late for that now though with all those boxes printed! LOL!

And pretending that this is a Megadrive release is silly when the packaging was blue in PAL land.

I will defend the original art though. That was from a nascent time when homebrew releases on almost any platform other than the Atari consoles was unheard of. It was ragged on back then too but I've seen worse.
    Last edited by Bratwurst; 12-21-2016 at 07:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    The art on both the box and especially the manual obscure the GEN/MD text though, that's just bad layout. The white lettering could have been layered visibly over pedo creep cat priest's arm, for example. Little late for that now though with all those boxes printed! !
    The font and spacing for GEN/MD looks like placeholder text that had been neglected to be updated.
    I feel a little bad saying anything negative in homebrew release threads (and Super Fighter Team isn't even homebrew), but the cardboard box itself will prevent me from making a purchase, and then there's the awful and creepy looking character art and layout anyhow.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 12-21-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

ARGH, the original artwork!! It burns my eyes! Seriously though, there's a good [?] reason we used that crude illustration back in '05: our original artist kept delaying, before finally walking away. By this time he finally admitted he hadn't done anything, it was so close to our shipping deadline, I hired some local guy right quick-like to take over and get us something lickety-split. That's one of the few things I'd have done differently, had I the producer experience then that I have now.

Anyway, the new product design, especially the manual -- I'm very proud of those. I originally designed the manual myself, and my layout skills were terrible. This was a case of me taking on too much work alone, trying to "wear all the caps" of the project, so to speak. Again, handing over the duties to someone more skilled was a great call, in the subsequent production runs of the game.

I've received some great feedback on the cardstock boxes; seems they are preferred by the majority of those who comment on them to me by e-mail. Despite this I can understand why some customers would prefer plastic cases. We may explore this option again in the future.

BTW: It's called the "20th anniversary edition" as the game was first released in Taiwan back in '96. The guys at C&E, Inc. are friends of mine in addition to business partners, and I have a great deal of respect for them. Fans kept writing in for the past few years, asking us to re-release Beggar Prince because they'd missed out the first time. I thought it would be a great homage to C&E to make a special edition, honoring one of their best titles.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to y'all, and thanks for your interest in the game.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!