Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: What Game/s are You Playing? Daily / Whenever Check :) (GAMEPLAY)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I never played Skyrim. I didnt like where the series was going with Oblivion. less focus on story... plot seemed more formulaic.. not very interesting.. fast travel to anywhere that didnt tax you made the game way too easy...

also, I liked in Morrowind that I could read everything because I can read faster than people talk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I never played Skyrim. I didnt like where the series was going with Oblivion. less focus on story... plot seemed more formulaic.. not very interesting.. fast travel to anywhere that didnt tax you made the game way too easy...

also, I liked in Morrowind that I could read everything because I can read faster than people talk.
    The main Elder Scrolls games always had some sort of formula-your character starts as a prisoner, you find you are about to be a big cog in the grand machine of the world. Arena was more of a typical RPG with a more centralized quest while all the others had multiple pieces to tackle for the main quest. You could do fast travel in all TES games. Arena you had to when going to cities/towns/etc. because everything in non-cities were procedureally developed and not connected. Daggerfall you could travel to towns on foot but going from one end of the map to the other would take literal DAYS, if I remember the article I read right. That is, if you didn't glitch through the ground when you visited a dungeon. Morrowind gave you silt striders as I don't think you could opt to fast travel without one. Seeing as how all the games are huge, I'll take fast travel any day. At least in Skyrim you can't fast travel until you visit the location, which doesn't take very long.

As for story, the games DO have story but you just aren't battered over the head with it. Unlike Link from "The Legend of Zelda" or whatever you named your character in Fable ("oh, Chicken Chaser!"), your Elder Scrolls character starts out as a prisoner and that's about it. Link is a hero of time and the game is really his, Zelda and Ganon's story. Your person is whatever you want them to be after you get sprung from jail. And then you get the "oh by the by, there's this bad stuff going on, so perhaps when you get time you can go take care of business" spiel. After that, like parents who want to run around the house buck nekkid when their kid reaches 18, you get punted out the door to strike out on adventure. The story is what your play actions make of it and whatever you discover (lore, people, places, what you do) all adds to it. And Skyrim has a LOT of lore. I think Oblivion did too, but I never had enough PC to really play that game back then.

Coming from a console world, it is a different flavor of action RPG, that is for sure. I find that with many PC games I've played over the years-console ports aside, they are a different beast. The way I'm playing I find myself becoming a jack of all trades with magic, fighting and such. What I really SHOULD do is to look at my Skyrim character not as a typical Link character, but more like how I see a D&D character. Once I train my brain to think that way when playing, then maybe I can really unlock what the game has to offer. Not so much in features and function, but experience. Maybe then my character of Trask the Redguard can create his own story.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

in Morrowind you would be taxed with fast travel. and you still had to look for the boats and the warps. and they didnt go everywhere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

in Morrowind you would be taxed with fast travel. and you still had to look for the boats and the warps. and they didnt go everywhere
    I just remember the silt striders. I never got very far in either the PC or Xbox version and I'll be dipped to remember why. I know on PC I wasn't keen on combat but Xbox fixed that to a degree. I might have to load Morrowind up again on my laptop (which is a lot more powerful than the machine I tried it on years back) and put on my big boy PC control pants and give it a whirl.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Oblivion was just emblematic of the pussification of gamers. oh you cant read? Well we can make it so the dialogue is spoken and it's in short sentences. Oh you don't want to spend time traveling from one end of the map to another? well just click this button and youre there. the compass that showed you exactly where to go. like my God, give us a f***ing break. give us the dignity of trying to figure something out on our own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I don't think the decision to have more spoken dialog and fast travel necessarily means pussification of gamers, it's a combination of giving a more "cinematic" experience and a more "convenience of play". For the former part, the industry has been pushing more toward voice acting for everything. Since the introduction of the CD-ROM drive, voices have been injected into our gaming. Games like "Star Trek: 25th Anniversary Edition" and "Betrayal at Krondor" on PC, for example, started with text but received a good voice over later on. So that's just evolution of games.

Fast travel...well...I would have thought the same as you years ago. Now with children and not a lot of time to play, the ability to fast travel, or at least movement between places not taking literal hours normally, is quite the benefit. It boils down to whether or not you want to use it. In Oblivion and above you can still go by foot should you desire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

So I gave Morrowind a shot. I didn't have a lot of time today but at least got started. I created a Redguard woman named Trisk, relative to my Skyrim character Trask. Using the questionare at the census office where you begin play, my character came up as a rogue based on my answers. I wandered around the town and checled out the sights. Dang, 3D does NOT age well. Everyone looked like pieced together action figures and the world just felt blah.

I wandered into the lighthouse and decided to get a little light-fingered. I didn't realize a dark elf was in the building. She attacked me for pilfering some gold and I fought back with my measily dagger. The way the combat was, I could almost hear dice roll in the heavens with a DM whispering "miss....miss....hit!" with a poof of red mist appearing at the hit. I won the battle and took her cash and robe for my spoils.

I ventured to Balmora via silt strider and fpund the person I was instructed by the Emperor to find. Dude was shirtless and looked like a freakish Frankenstein human the way the modeling was. That's where I stopped.

I gotta say, this game has no different tropes than the latter games. This was more specific, being about a prisoner born on a specific day would do great things followed by visions from some sort of powerful consciousness. Play wise your person walks even slower than casual compared to the newer games or practically any other game. Granted it is keyboard controlled and you can toggle running, but that sucks up stamina. Combat was pretty much waggling your weapon at someone who just stands there with no real reaction. On top of that, the game really had no atmosphere other than filling spaces with NPCs doing....nothing. Sure there was some mention of NPCs in a room by other NPCs but that was it. Ultima VII:The Black Gate felt more like a breathing fantasy world than this.

The game was essentially an upgrade to Daggerfall. In this case time, technology, better tools and dare I say graphics made for better games in this series. I'll probably poke around more but I'm spoiled by Skyrim.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Are you comparing a game made in 2002 to one in 2012 or are you comparing a game made in 2002 to a game made in 2002?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'm comparing the experiences of the two games but if you want to do the "comparison based on release" game, I'll play. Look at GTA 3, which came out in 2001 on PS2. Looks and feels a lot more alive than Morrowind.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I'm comparing the experiences of the two games but if you want to do the "comparison based on release" game, I'll play. Look at GTA 3, which came out in 2001 on PS2. Looks and feels a lot more alive than Morrowind.
    yeah I can understand the feeling of Morrowind feeling "dead" compared to games that came out around then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Today the kids asked to play the OG Xbox, so I got to play a game I didn't really play before: Halo 2. Back when it first came out I groused over the fact that Bungie took out the health boxes and didn't play it after. Of course, other games used a similar concept (no health bar but the changing of view to indicate damage that heals by itself) that I got into and enjoyed. But I never got back to Halo 2.

I got past the space assault missions but had to stop when I went planetside. Later I got to play some splitscreen pvp and found my skills are lacking.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At the moment it is WoW. On and off I also play different shooters like Valorant and CS GO. But I can ask other pro gamers to upgrade my char by doing different monotonous actions in the game while I am at work and that is pretty awesome I believe
    Last edited by Canija; 02-27-2021 at 03:45 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I didnt know anyone was still playing WoW

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I didnt know anyone was still playing WoW
    Oh yeah, it still lives. According to an article I read in PC Gamer, the new Shadowlands expansion is coming or has come out.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Oh yeah, it still lives. According to an article I read in PC Gamer, the new Shadowlands expansion is coming or has come out.
    I tried WoW. I went on one or two missions on my own. seemed okay, just didnt see the appeal. I didnt have any close friends who played it so maybe that was part of the problem. you always hear about guilds and what-not but honestly I wouldnt have even known how to go about finding that. one of those games that it seems really dependent on the group interaction stuff I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I tried WoW. I went on one or two missions on my own. seemed okay, just didnt see the appeal. I didnt have any close friends who played it so maybe that was part of the problem. you always hear about guilds and what-not but honestly I wouldnt have even known how to go about finding that. one of those games that it seems really dependent on the group interaction stuff I guess.
    I hear ya- I played Asheron's Call when it was in beta but ut didn't grab me. Before that was Sierra's "The Realm" (I think) but my computer and dial up speed was not up to that challenge.

My game of late has been "Duke Nukem Forever" on PC. I bought it at a deal of $5 and I played it years back but stopped for some reason. I had installed it on my laptop not long ago and decided to try it again. Thanksto Steam and cloud saves, I started where I left off: The Hive.

I know it had a 14 year development time, but I can't recall if the hype that built expectation was drummed up by 3D Realms or if it was a mix of media and players. It's a decent game IMO. Sure its imagery is over the top, especially the hive- it's a Gyger fevered dream. You've got the alien organics covering the walls and floors like the movie "Aliens" but with a large trio of breasts on the walls here and there that lactate when you slap them. There are near naked women that are used as incubators for aliens, who writhe about moaning in their restraints followed by them wretching as the bellies disten then retract. Duke makes no apologies for the content, which is a little refreshing. Gearbox, who picked up the development, could have tuned it down but didn't.

Gameplay wise it's really no different than the games that were out at the time. More linear, two weapon max, replenishing "ego" life bar. A cross between a Call of Duty/Halo with the Duke skin. The game had one mighty foot in the content of the late 90's but the mechanics of an FPS in the second decade of 2000-making neither audience of those time frames happy.

Since I didn't follow the hype train (even though I did play Duke Nukem 3D BITD), it hit my expectations. It makes my palms sweat during action, gives me a thrill when I waste bad guys with some style and has been an entertaining ride. I'm at the dam now, so I'm probably close to the end.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

the original Duke Nukem Forever looked awesome. in the yrailer that came out circa 1999. took place in Vegas. there was a prospector in it. I liked the N64 look of it. wish that wouldve been the DNF we got

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I didn't get to play much of anything this weekend except "Super YoshiM:Toilet Terror" where I had to find a better fix for a leaky toilet. But after that I gave the Ouya some love and played a little Bombsquad with my son followed by Bubble Bobble 2 on MAME. Then others joined in on Bombsquad, which became a hootin' and hollerin' match.

I also noticed a bunch of new games on the new independant Ouya servers. It was pretty neat to see the community support!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

During the week it was more Duke Nukem. I'm nearing the end as I get closer to the top of the dam.

This past weekend I got to play Star Wars: Battlefront 2 Anniversary (I think it is) on the solo campaign. Gorgeous game. I updated my data drive to an SSD and the game loads super fast now. I got up to the Emperial escape from the second Death Star and stopped for the night as it was time for my step sons and my "Stranger Things" watching.

Sunday I wanted to attempt to fix the weird pixel bleed I have on my Commodore 1702. I took the back off and played with the adjustments back there. I tested with my NES and the flash cart I have in there. I got into a little Doki Doki Panic (weird playing a very familiar yet different game), Metroid (disk version-love the file save) a Christmas Card program from I think Data East and then I stumbled into a bunch of, ahem, not kid friendly adult games. The few I looked at didn't seem to want to load Side B of the disk but one game had a decent "Crazy Climber" (where you press buttons for each hand to vlimb) game that you had to control what looked like a balding man up moving ladders to reach a girl, who threw various objects at you. No lives system, you just keep going. The "prize" was an anime image of a girl followed by a more complex ladder game on the right side. So that was a rather eye-opening experience

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I took a break from grandia hd and i been playing cyber-shadow on switch It's so ninja gaiden.