Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Thread: What Game/s are You Playing? Daily / Whenever Check :) (GAMEPLAY)

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I beat Exile's End on my Vita with over seven hours on the clock, but I didn't manage 100% completion. I had 85% of the items and 3 out of 7 of the hidden messages. Around the time of my last post about the game, I started talking to my husband about it, which got him interested and then he blew through the whole thing. Since he was playing on a much bigger screen, he could more easily spot breakable walls. I noticed the obvious spots in the first mine, but I didn't realize there were much subtler tells in the other areas. So I started examining walls much more carefully from that point on, but I'm not surprised I missed some. I'll check out some online maps to pick off what little I missed and try to get that 100% completion trophy. I obviously didn't get remotely close to earning the Fast Mover trophy, which requires beating the game in under three hours. I hate speedrunning trophies, so I'm just gonna say to heck with that one. I get speedrunning is part of this genre, starting with Metroid's different endings depending on how much time you take, but it's not my thing at all.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised with the game. It's not amazing, but I never expected it to compete with the greats like Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night. I don't think it's fair to hold indie developers to the same standards as industry pros on top of their game. All the mixed reviews and criticism makes Exile's End sound a lot worse than it actually is, which is sad considering a lot of the criticism is straight up false. I guess it shows the difference between pretentious indie aficionados who want to pretend they're into retro games, even though they either haven't played old games since they were brand-new or are so young they never played them to begin with, and people like myself who still play decades-old games in the present day and have no problem playing an indie that tries to be fairly authentic to the way old games played. I found the game pretty straightforward and easy, so it's perplexing to me that so many people find the game so frustrating and confusing. The only real beefs I have with the game are the crappy way the map fills in (some rooms just never fill in completely, making it seem like you've got something left to explore when you actually don't) and that the involvement of the "legendary" Japanese industry veterans didn't amount to much. Despite having the same composer as Ninja Gaiden, the music in Exile's End doesn't stand out, in my opinion, and other than a nice piece of art when the game loads up, there's nothing about the visuals that's especially impressive either. They could've told me the game was entirely made by Western indie developers, and I would've believed it no problem.
    I played through Exile's end a few years ago on PS4. I enjoyed it okay, but something about it felt kind of unfinished to me. There were a lot of areas that were pretty sparse with little to do aside from some easy platforming, and the combat felt pretty under-baked as well. I may have had my perspective tainted by playing other metroidvanias around the same time like Axiom Verge that felt a lot more robust, amd followed it a little while later with Hollow Knight.

Finally throughy kids' chess meet season. If your kids ever get into a school chess team, the meets are not parent-firendly. You can't watch them play even. You just sit in a crowded area all day trying to help your kid stay happy and focused enough (or helping the navigate Chrono Trigger on DS...).

I did in the last month play through Final Fantasy III (VI I guess) on SNES with my oldest son, and then for the first time finally played all the way through Final Fantasy V on the PS1. It was fun, and the job system was interesting, but needed a little too much grinding for what it is. Still, I liked it a lot, though it doesn't hold a candle to VI for me.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I rarely upload games to Youtube but since the 2024 Game of the Year is about to release soon, February 29th, I decided to start playing Final Fantasy 7 Remake and uploading everything to Youtube. I've been playing each chapter to familiarize myself with it then playing through a second time so I can get a really good run of the chapter. I don't like to upload just anything up there, if I don't feel that it looks good or it's not something I'm not already great at, then I don't upload it. Even though I get almost no views, it's not about the views as the videos are more for me than anything. The reason Youtube existed in the first place, to capture and display things that mean something to me not the millions of people who will throw as much trash up there and hope something sticks.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I played through Exile's end a few years ago on PS4. I enjoyed it okay, but something about it felt kind of unfinished to me. There were a lot of areas that were pretty sparse with little to do aside from some easy platforming, and the combat felt pretty under-baked as well. I may have had my perspective tainted by playing other metroidvanias around the same time like Axiom Verge that felt a lot more robust, amd followed it a little while later with Hollow Knight.
    I didn't mind that it wasn't more robust, since I was seeking out short games to begin with, but I do have Axiom Verge for Vita too and should see how that compares someday when I'm up for a lengthier Metroid-style game. I've never bought Hollow Knight myself, but my husband got that for his Mac a while back and, coincidentally, just started playing recently. Maybe Exile's End inspired him to play another Metroid-style game.

As for my Super Hydorah playing on Vita, I cleared the remaining optional stages and only have the last two stages now. I was surprised at how little practice Path of Scylla took me, considering the in-game "description" (or whatever you wanna call it) is a warning saying "Better not to enter", and a walkthrough I came across talks about the stage being a total nightmare that would take hours of practice. Go figure. Once I had good weapons, it was nothing compared to the struggle I had with Galactic Inferno or even some of the other stages. With all but the last two stages cleared, I now have every weapon at my disposal. The second-to-last stage is a boss rush, which is a design concept I've never been fond of in general, and this one is extra annoying because all six of these bosses you have to beat in a row to clear the stage are brand-new. So you have to learn a boss, probably lose when you get to the next, repeat the ones you've cleared until you learn the next, rinse and repeat. That said, I've already made it to the sixth and final boss of the stage, so hopefully I just need a little more practice before I can move on to the final stage of the game.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I didn't mind that it wasn't more robust, since I was seeking out short games to begin with, but I do have Axiom Verge for Vita too and should see how that compares someday when I'm up for a lengthier Metroid-style game. I've never bought Hollow Knight myself, but my husband got that for his Mac a while back and, coincidentally, just started playing recently. Maybe Exile's End inspired him to play another Metroid-style game.

As for my Super Hydorah playing on Vita, I cleared the remaining optional stages and only have the last two stages now. I was surprised at how little practice Path of Scylla took me, considering the in-game "description" (or whatever you wanna call it) is a warning saying "Better not to enter", and a walkthrough I came across talks about the stage being a total nightmare that would take hours of practice. Go figure. Once I had good weapons, it was nothing compared to the struggle I had with Galactic Inferno or even some of the other stages. With all but the last two stages cleared, I now have every weapon at my disposal. The second-to-last stage is a boss rush, which is a design concept I've never been fond of in general, and this one is extra annoying because all six of these bosses you have to beat in a row to clear the stage are brand-new. So you have to learn a boss, probably lose when you get to the next, repeat the ones you've cleared until you learn the next, rinse and repeat. That said, I've already made it to the sixth and final boss of the stage, so hopefully I just need a little more practice before I can move on to the final stage of the game.
    I had a lot of fun with both Axiom Verge games. The second one is more streamlined in its mechanics and is more exploration-focused, while the first had an atmosphere I liked better, more and better bosses, but a whole lot of useless weapons. Hollow Knight I love to pieces. I just started a third playthrough of it. My oldest boy got strep throat, and asked me to play for him to watch while he rests on the couch. The only real flaw, if you'd call it that, is in the Godhome section, where the difficulty to complete the pantheons is ratcheted up to the point of being inaccessible for a lot of folks, with the best ending stuck behind one of the most absurd boss gauntlets ever created.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I beat Super Hydorah for Vita last night, and hoo boy, was that a hard-fought victory. I cleared the boss rush not long after my last post, and the final stage wasn't horrible, but it's comparable in length to Galactic Inferno and thus took a fair bit of practice before I could get through it all. And go figure that the same walkthrough writer who made out Path of Scylla as a total nightmare described the final boss, Hydorah, as trivial, even though I lost to him a good number of times. I definitely wouldn't say he's the hardest boss in the game, though. Anyway, I earned the good ending, as I cleared every single stage, and it took me nearly 100 continues to accomplish that. x_x The idea of earning the hero ending, which requires a 1CC, gets a big old from me. I feel relieved just beating the game at all. I spent much of the game, certainly from the Galactic Inferno onward, feeling like I bit off more than I could chew with this game. My middling shmup skill level was pushed to its absolute limits here. I can't even remember the last game to challenge me to this degree, though I'm sure I could've had a somewhat easier time with it if I had been able to play at times of day when I'm not beat. I'm gonna need something mindlessly easy I can plow through to give myself a break in the near future, haha. Until then, I might replay some of the earlier stages in Super Hydorah and see if I can pick off some trophies for the secrets. I only ever found a few, and I didn't even realize until well into the game that most secrets are invisible and require you to just fly over a specific spot. And that you're clued in on the secrets with a chime when you're close. But I'm obviously not going for the platinum here, since there's a trophy for the hero ending, among other tasks that are likely faaaaaar beyond my abilities.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 02-24-2024 at 01:47 PM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It's funny how slow-paced and easy the early stages in Super Hydorah on Vita now feel to me, having dealt with the later stages, haha. I blew through the eight stages prior to Galactic Inferno, using a guide to get the secrets in all of them. That only netted me one additional trophy, as only a few individual secrets pop a trophy (though there's also one for finding all the secrets). I did still use a couple continues even on these easier stages. I guess I'll give Galactic Inferno a try and see if all my practice can produce a relatively easy clear. If not, I'll probably stop hunting down secrets here and move on to another game.

One thing that's annoying is that I read, once you earning the good ending, on subsequent playthroughs, you get a free shield upon starting each life, but I guess that's not in this version. I see nothing different in this replay versus my first time through. I know there are some differences between this version and later releases. I know later releases got a difficulty option where you get a 3-hit shield with every life, which sounds like it would make a HUGE difference. Though, you can't earn the hero ending on that mode, and your score is reduced. But no such thing in the Vita version, nor the two-player mode.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm still playing a tiny bit of Super Hydorah on Vita here and there. I didn't clear Galactic Inferno on my first try this replay, but I did pass it shortly after that. I guess all that practice has stuck with me. So I cleared some more stages after that, getting all their secrets and nabbing two more trophies. Now I have access to Path of Scylla, Charybdis, and Red Eden. I know those first two are worth attempting without better weaponry, and go figure that Red Eden is a sticking point for me now. I didn't have too much trouble with it my first time through the game, but this time, I've already blown through several continues. It doesn't help that my weapons aren't powered up at all, and Red Eden doesn't give you much of a chance to power up.

I did start up a new game too. I decided to return to the PS1 game Rapid Angel. I still think it's a shame that it wasn't localized in any way at all for its US PSN release, even if it's perfectly beatable without knowing any Japanese. The game bills itself as a "high tension comical action game" (it says this in English on the front cover), but other than coming off as random and wacky, the comedy is basically lost if you can't understand the cutscenes. This is another game where you gotta beat the whole game in one go, which I did with Natsumi. She's got almost nonexistent range, but it doesn't really matter because, with infinite continues, there isn't much challenge on the default difficulty. I agree with others who say it has a "doujin" feel. The game is a weird mix of some things looking very amateurish (namely the character art) and other things being highly detailed (all sorts of unique sprites in the backgrounds that you'll probably zip by in seconds). Nothing amazing in terms of gameplay, but it's definitely got personality and charm. Gives me a lot of Kendo Rage vibes.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 03-02-2024 at 12:57 PM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I haven't done much gaming these last couple weeks. The visit with my family came to an end, and so, between prep, traveling, and settling back in at home, I haven't had much free time. Plus, I always seem to lose interest in continuing with my "vacation" games whenever I return home. I guess the transition makes me want to shift gears all around, and with access to my full collection, I have a lot more to choose from. But I do want to tie up some loose ends. I have a book to finish, so I don't want to start up any game that's going to consume all of my free time. I'm also not quite done with Rapid Angel on my Vita. After clearing the game with Natsumi, I then did so with Ayane and Haruna, the other two girls available from the get-go. Once I got back home and settled in enough, I then played through the game with the two bonus characters unlocked after earning the good ending with one of the initial three girls. One of the bonus characters is cool in that she gets her own story and a "remixed" version of the game that even has some new content. The other bonus character has the standard stage order but without any cutscenes. It kinda feels pointless playing with him, but I guess it's good if someone wants nothing interrupting the gameplay. That said, both bonus characters have kind of annoying move sets. They can cheese some bosses pretty well, but their animations are too long to feel good for clearing out standard enemies. Anyway, I think I'll run through the game at least one more time, since I never got the bad ending. After that, I'll probably move on. I could replay to check out different dialogue options, but eh. The value of that is lost on me, considering my understanding of Japanese is far from fluency.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I did play through Rapid Angel on my Vita with Natsumi once again, intentionally earning the bad ending, and now I think I'll give my Vita a break for at least a little while.

I decided to start up Donkey Kong on my Super Game Boy 2. I rarely use either my US Super Game Boy or the second model, since the portability of Game Boy games is a big plus to me, but the Super Game Boy enhancements to Donkey Kong are so nice that I can't bring myself to play it on anything else. I'm glad my husband picked up the Super Game Boy 2 on a whim a while back. It's nice to get the enhancements while also having it run at the correct speed. Not that it's a huge problem with the original Super Game Boy, but I still prefer to have things running properly. Anyway, I'm loving the old school Nintendo charm and polish of this game, down to the adorable demo of Mario doing an acrobatics performance. And I love that the game trolls the player, pretending to be a straight port of the arcade game at first. I cleared Big-City, the first world, and left off in the middle of the second.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Up to Jungle, the fourth world, in Donkey Kong on my Super Game Boy 2 now. The difficulty has definitely increased, so I understand why they load you up on so many extra lives early on, though I've been able to keep my reserves at around 30. I like that the game mixes in stuff from both the original Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior. I also like how you get a face-off with Donkey Kong after every three puzzle stages. It's a nice action-focused break that adds variety to the game.