Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: What Game/s are You Playing? Daily / Whenever Check :) (GAMEPLAY)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I was playing Mummy Demastered for Switch off and on for a bit. Wasn't really holding my attention til I watched My Life in Gaming do a live stream of it last night and it made me wanna give it another chance. I am at the dragon boss right now. First time I died playing this. starting to appreciate this game more and more now and I am getting used to the Dpad and the controls. Metroid it aint but its fun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I finished Duke Nukem forever last week. It was a decent ride. Reading the timeline they include and how many engines the developers got into was eye-opening. After Duke 3D came out, it seemed like FPS games REALLY exploded and upped the ante. 3D Realms had to make something better than Duke 3D along with beating what was out or coming out. That's tough to follow-just when they got something looking good BANG another grand FPS came out that they had to exceed in quality and play. At least in my perspective looking at the timeline.

After that, only thing I played was someone's Color Computer BASIC game of fantasy enduro combat called "Mistwood". Basically turned based combat against monsters that pop out of the woods in nice clean text. Anything else game related was trying to set up my Wii to read games off of a hard drive (fail-sees the games but won't load).

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

beat Mummy Demastered. Great game, hoping for a sequel. not sure what to play next. I might look through my Lynx games to see if there is anything there I am willing to play through. really hoping the Analogue Pocket comes out soon because I hate the actual Lynx itself as a game machine. It's the only console I am aware of that plays Lynx cartridges

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I need to check in on this thread more often; missed the Morrowind / Oblivion / Skyrim discussion. Played all three but Oblivion is the only one I didn't finish - the mods I had installed must not have played nicely and it crashed somewhere during the main story. Loved all of them, Skyrim probably the most.

Lately I have been plugging away at Soul Axiom. It's probably the best adventure / puzzle game I've ever played. Story is pretty gripping and is doled out in pieces as you solve more puzzles. A few nights I've been joining a few buddies with Valheim.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'm slightly interested in Valheim, teetering on the "eh...maybe not" side. It looks cool with what looks like decent combat but I can't tell how grindy it is. Is it real time or more like Minecraft where day and night have its own cycle? And more importantly, can I save any time?

I've continued examining my Steam list by playing Civilization 4. I used to be a big DOS Civ player and got my ex to play it, which gripped her like a bear's jaw around a salmon. We played Civ 2, which was decent but had changes that didn't mesh ("what do you mean you can't take a city with a catapult?"). We did get Civ 3 with its nice tin but our play stopped. I snagged Civ 4 as part of some sale but never got around to playing it.

It's ok, but just seems to have a lot of busy work that I think started in Civ 2, like building mines or farms. It doesn't grab me as much as the simplicity of the first game.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

been playing Legend of Zelda on Switch's Nintendo Online. controller sucks but hard to beat $4 a month versus a 30 dollar NES cartridge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I'm slightly interested in Valheim, teetering on the "eh...maybe not" side. It looks cool with what looks like decent combat but I can't tell how grindy it is. Is it real time or more like Minecraft where day and night have its own cycle? And more importantly, can I save any time?
    Day and night have their own cycle, like Minecraft. Night is more dangerous and you can retreat to a house / bed to sleep it away. It's also the best way to pass time - there are some things, like smelting, that take time but are accelerated by sleeping through the time.

The combat is decent but this could also use some work, to be honest. There are six or seven different weapon types and, even with a few dozen hours under my belt, I am not sure what the benefit of each might be. They do different damage types (slashing, piercing, bludgeoning) but skill in each one is hard to build up. Bows are the only one so far that can do things like frost, poison, fire damage and they are largely OP. I expect this area to get attention and to become better over time.

"Saving" happens automatically and also like Minecraft. You cannot save your character and then reload if you die, and when you die your hard-earned stuff drops at a gravestone you have to get back to. Many people are making comparisons to the original EverQuest for its "corpse runs" and this comparison is apt. That said, dying comes through lack of preparation and skill and can be avoided in most cases.

The biggest grind comes if you want to get fancy and create elaborate houses, castles, villages, etc. These require a lot of resources. Otherwise it's not too bad, and there are ways to speed things up - teleportation, boats, carts. I expect that these options will increase over time as they add more things - maybe animals or something.

The game could definitely use some work. Dedicated servers broke for me (and lots of other folks) after the last patch, so they have their work cut out for them to get some of the basics down - but it has relatively few bugs otherwise. There is a wealth of content that will likely be available after 2+ years and that may be the time to jump in. If you have doubts, I would skip it for now and get it later. It might cost more later, however.
    Last edited by calthaer; 03-15-2021 at 09:48 AM.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I really didn't play anything the last two weeks due to Covid. I worked half days remotely but by the afternoon I was wiped out. The kids got to get more game time than ever until the wife and I felt better and cut them off as the youngest three started to get a little demanding. I was in the mood to play sonething classic but all my gaming equipment is downstairs (save for my PC) and I had no ambition.

Last Friday I went back to work and did get some gametime in. During lunch I played some "Animal Crossing:New Leaf", whittling my mortgage down. Shampoodle came to town and I was able to get a silver shovel.

That night my wife and I usually watch murder mysteries on PBS but it's all stuff we saw over and over again. She wanted to keep watching this new show on Masterpiece online called "Miss Scarlet and The Duke". I watched two episodes already and it didn't get my attention as it was horribly predictable and was hitting "hot points" of today that were taboo and illegal back then. So I played some more "Star Wars-Battlefront".

The gameplay has now reached that formulaic feel and I know I'm playing it to see where the story goes. My character's team defected to the Rebellion, who kinda accepted them with open arms even after Leia said "[Inferno Squad] did its share of damage to the Rebellion" (paraphrased). In a few months, my character is a commander and seems well liked, even though I killed many rebels by shooting most of them in the face.

What were the conversations over time?

"We know you can melt the face off a target at 100 yards. Joko Raisen, an officer that survived your attack on our capital ship now dribbles his cereal on his uniform everytime he eats, gives his full recommendation and a hearty half-thumbs up. I promote you to commander".

I try with modern games.....

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Tetris on Genesis (Mega Drive)

Just because I saw a standup say you couldn't play Tetris on Genesis. It does have two-player but it's not great. Bad controls and generic music although I did like the changing backgrounds and the piece stats.

Fully licensed NES or GB Tetris in a first round KO.

Tengen Tetris in a first punch KO.

Honorable mention to the Windows 3.1 version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I got to play a couple games over the weekend.

First was the proto leak of the N64 game "Dinosaur Planet". It was pretty solid of what I played. I just wish it was at a point where it wasn't Star Fox'd, though it looks like the level of Star Foxiness is just his character model and his dialog. The game itself still referred to Fox as "Sabre".

I also got a lot of Animal Crossing:New Leaf play in. I got to partake in Bunny Day and I milked that as much as possible. ReTail was offering a premium on furniture, so for every Egg piece I got, it went to my loan repayment. One of my twins wanted weeds pulled in her town, so I went there and did that. As she ransacked my trees last time....I returned the favor and grabbed some eggs with prizes. My small added east wing room was paid off and then some.

Now to fund that room's expansion.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I have been getting in to Death Road to Canada, which I believe is available on iOS and Switch. The benefit of having it on Steam, where I'm running it, is that I should be able to do "remote play together" and do local co-op online. We'll see - maybe I'll be able to get this to work.

It is so fun. Kind of like FTL, where you will have multiple runs, building up and unlocking abilities until you get a combo together that is a winner. The first time I succeeded I only got one guy through to Canada - a special character I had met along the way. Eventually maybe I'll be able to get the guys I start out with through to the end. It's light-hearted, not too serious, just a good time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been playing Circus Convoy, the new 2600 game by David Crane and Garry Kitchen. It's really a lot of fun.
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fergojisan View Post
    I've been playing Circus Convoy, the new 2600 game by David Crane and Garry Kitchen. It's really a lot of fun.
    $55 for the standard edition is a joke. I'd pay $25 max. They said this on their website:

"Our Collector Edition games are priced below the inflation-adjusted price of original games published in the in the 1980s. In 1982, for example, Pitfall!™ and Keystone Kapers™ were published with a suggested retail price of $39.95. Adjusted for inflation that would be $107 today. Accordingly, the suggested retail price for a feature-rich, Collector Edition Atari 2600 game from Audacity Games™ is $99.00.* For retro gamers on a budget, a lower-priced Standard Edition boxed-game is available."

The problem with that logic is that games have gotten a lot cheaper since then, in general. A game you can sink hundreds of hours into might only cost you $60. I'm not spending the same amount on a game I might get 3-5 hours out of, tops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okey doke
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    $55 for the standard edition is a joke. I'd pay $25 max. They said this on their website:

"Our Collector Edition games are priced below the inflation-adjusted price of original games published in the in the 1980s. In 1982, for example, Pitfall!™ and Keystone Kapers™ were published with a suggested retail price of $39.95. Adjusted for inflation that would be $107 today. Accordingly, the suggested retail price for a feature-rich, Collector Edition Atari 2600 game from Audacity Games™ is $99.00.* For retro gamers on a budget, a lower-priced Standard Edition boxed-game is available."

The problem with that logic is that games have gotten a lot cheaper since then, in general. A game you can sink hundreds of hours into might only cost you $60. I'm not spending the same amount on a game I might get 3-5 hours out of, tops.
    Whatever floats your boat. Vote with your wallet and they'll get the hint.

I'm interested in Circus Caper (to me, the price is alright for a game that's probably expensive for what's probably a small production run as opposed to back then Atari that mass produced multiple thousands of games) bit I don't know how often I'd get a chance to play it. If I can sneak my CRT upstairs on Game Days and leave it there....maybe. it looks really cool and I'm itchin' for a twitchin' type game.

Speaking of twitchin', I brought the Vita to work to show it a little game love. I fired up "Killzone:Mercenary" and had a good time with it. It took a bit to get back into the swing of things but soon as I was poppin' heads like in Star Wars. It floirs me just how great the visuals are in the game. A little pop-in here and there but all in all it was a solid experience.

I am now on the planet Helghan working on getting these sattelite dishes hacked so the fleet can take control of the ship-killer cannons. I have to defend a power transformer but died. As I can't save in the middle of a mission, I have my Vita asleep and plugged in for tomorrow.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ostin Powers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I really didn't play anything the last two weeks due to Covid. I worked half days remotely but by the afternoon I was wiped out. The kids got to get more game time than ever until the wife and I felt better and cut them off as the youngest three started to get a little demanding. I was in the mood to play sonething classic but all my gaming equipment is downstairs (save for my PC) and I had no ambition.

Last Friday I went back to work and did get some gametime in. During lunch I played some "Animal Crossing:New Leaf", whittling my mortgage down. Shampoodle came to town and I was able to get a silver shovel.

That night my wife and I usually watch murder mysteries on PBS but it's all stuff we saw over and over again. She wanted to keep watching this new show on Masterpiece online called "Miss Scarlet and The Duke". I watched two episodes already and it didn't get my attention as it was horribly predictable and was hitting "hot points" of today that were taboo and illegal back then. So I played some more "Star Wars-Battlefront".

The gameplay has now reached that formulaic feel and I know I'm playing it to see where the story goes. My character's team defected to the Rebellion, who kinda accepted them with open arms even after Leia said "[Inferno Squad] did its share of damage to the Rebellion" (paraphrased). In a few months, my character is a commander and seems well liked, even though I killed many rebels by shooting most of them in the face.

What were the conversations over time?

"We know you can melt the face off a target at 100 yards. Joko Raisen, an officer that survived your attack on our capital ship now dribbles his cereal on his uniform everytime he eats, gives his full recommendation and a hearty half-thumbs up. I promote you to commander".

I try with modern games.....
    Most modern shows are a sheer disappointment for me. I am a fan of MK but taking into account recent tendencies I feel reluctant to go to the cinema and get disappointed in one more film

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I haven't watched "regular" TV in a long while, but from what snippets I see, I'm not missing much.

Monday was more Killzone, inching further along in the story. Still a pretty slick FPS, especially since I started dipping my toes in the weapons dealer boxes. I still like my silenced rapid fire gun (no long range site but I'm pretty accurate even at a distance) but I started using the VANguard device. The little shoulder rockets are pretty sweet. Takes 3 or so to take out a flame thrower soldier, though.

Today I took a walk for a bit, so I only had a little time on my hands to play. I loaded Oceanhorn again on the Vita and went to the Withering Island. I was a little lost not knowing where I should go, but it was a fun time. I explored a bit of that island then had to shut down. Thank goodness for its many save points

That might be all this week. Friday my lunch break will be spent at a funeral for my ex-mother in law who I knew since childhood (my ex and I have some same relation due to marriages-explaining it always gave me weird looks). So hopefully folks will save any drama gor their llama.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I got to play Super Mario 3D Land, which was pretty dang sweet so far. Didn't play much, maybe the first three levels. I was in a mood around Tuesday (we adopted a newborn kitten and I had made my feelings clear about the last one-long story) so I just plopped down and played more Star Wars: Battleground II on PC. I discovered my X360 wired controller was starting to get some drift in the stick, so I took it apart, cleaned it and played Star Wars again another night. I got through the Lando and Shriv mission at a weapons manufacturing facility and still had drift. Oh well.

Tonight I broke out the N64 to test out the gear replacement I did on one of the controllers. It had the Gamecube style stick and it just didn't feel right. The stick is a little loose feeling but still accurate. I played the new SM 64 hack demo "Return to Yoshi's Island 64", which gives you 26 stars to collect. It looks gorgeous but to me with the new camera system, it was hard for me to judge where I would land or where I was going with some tricky jumps. SM 64 had its issues but to me was manageable. I did play the original to see if I was just losing my touch with the game and I was able to jump around like Mario was wearing a Parkour hat. Even with that issue (which again could be me), this patch should be checked out if you have an Everdrive 64.

After that I fired up some Animal Crossing: New Leaf. It was a nice soaking rain in my town of "Almost", where the fruit made a noticeable "plop" sound when they hit the ground (which I honestly never caught on to before). On there I got a Wii U from the cookies fortune and played some "Desert Island Escape". It's a mini strategy/discovery game where you have 3 animal friends (at the cost of 2 or 3 play coins each) that have special abilities to help get off the island. You have to find items to build a raft along with tools to help on the island. When you encounter creatures or have to interact with bee hives and that, the game uses a prize wheel that I believe you have to try and tap on what you want as it spins. On my first go I was able to get off the island.

My "west wing" was expanded but I never got around to talking to Nook to get my mortgage total. So now I'm sitting on 102,000 bells until I do.

The wife has a show she's in tomorrow and if it's a full house, I'm not going due to social distancing. Then I might fire up the DSi XL and dig into games I haven't played yet.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ostin Powers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    I have been getting in to World of Warcraft, which I believe is available only PC and MacOs. The benefit of having it on PC, where I'm running it, is that I should be able to do "remote play together" and do local co-op online. We'll see - maybe I'll be able to get this to work.

It is so fun. Kind of like FTL, where you will have multiple runs, building up and unlocking abilities until you get a combo together that is a winner. The first time I succeeded I only got one guy through - a special character I had met along the way. Eventually there maybe I'll be able to get the amount of gold I currently need I start out with through to the end. It's light-hearted, not too serious, just a good time.
    Share your opinion It is a really awesome game. Unfortunately for some reason not a lot of my friends join me preferring other releases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Not much to report in gameplay as, well, I haven't played much. I started "Persona 4 Golden" on the PS Vita and while the presentation is great, I'm just not DOING much yet. I get it's a slow buildup but dang I want to do more than just hit X.

Friday I beat the solo mission on SW:Battlefront 2. Good story but the accomplishment felt hollow. I didn't get that feeling of "wow, whatta game!" as it was more like "ok, I'm done". I tried out ",Ghostbusters" on PC but I just didn't feel it. Bill Murray and Harold Ramis sounded like they wanted a paycheck and humor seemed a little forced.
    Last edited by YoshiM; 05-25-2021 at 08:08 AM.