Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: What Game/s are You Playing? Daily / Whenever Check :) (GAMEPLAY)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Slowly going for 100% in DK Country 2. Not using any FAQs or guides or anything so its a slow process

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I got enough free time to go through the rest of my recent Vita acquisitions, though some of them got very brief tests. I played Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, The King of Fighters '97: Global Match, Alone With You, Chronus Arc, Dragon Fantasy, Fernz Gate, Forma.8, NeuroVoider, Proteus, Retro City Rampage DX, and Shakedown: Hawaii. A lot of interesting stuff that seems fun, but they'll have to wait for another day to get some serious play time.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I got a Famicom last year and have been slowly importing and collecting games for it. Currently working on beating the original Dragon Quest. Haven't been a fan of the recent entries I've tried (DQIX or DQXI, although I do quite like DQBuilders), probably because they haven't really been modernized like other series, while still receiving the baggage that 3D brings to turn-based games (slowing them to a crawl). Thankfully, being on the Famicom, DQ1 doesn't at all have these problems, so I've been enjoying it quite a bit. It definitely helps that it's a far shorter game, too, though.

I am a bit surprised at how much I'm enjoying it, though. I recently watch a j-drama called The Hero Yoshihiko, which may be going a long way in helping me to enjoy the series more, lol.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I switched from Vita to my Game Boy Advance SP to try out some more recent acquisitions. For Game Boy Color, I played a tiny bit of Monsters, Inc., Toy Story 2, and Donkey Kong Country, and for GBA, I played through a day in Bokujou Monogatari: Mineral Town no Nakamatachi - For Girl. Donkey Kong Country definitely threw me for a loop. I'm so used to the SNES version that, even graphics aside, just the differences in controls and timing are messing with me. I'll have to rewire my brain a little to adjust to this version.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've been trying to get back into a couple games I haven't touched in a while. I'd gone about a month since I last played Tokyo Tattoo Girls on Vita, so I picked that back up and finished off Kayako Musashino's game on Normal difficulty.

I opened up Steam for the first time in forever and started playing Nightshade again for the first time in several months. I didn't leave off in the most ideal spot. Ideally, I like to take a break from a visual novel when I've totally finished off a character so I can start fresh with another the next time. In lieu of that, as counterintuitive as it sounds, I don't especially mind leaving off mid-route. But the worst spot to stop is when I've finished a route but haven't yet run through it again to pick the other dialogue options and get any alternate endings. That's what I did here with Choujirou's route. I'm gonna skip anything I've already read, of course, but my memory of the route is foggy, so the impact of seeing alternate takes on various scenes is a little lost on me at this point. And a depressing bad ending isn't exactly the first thing you want to see when resuming a game, haha. But I finished off those bits and pieces of Choujirou's route, and now I'm picking alternate choices in the early part of the game, before you get locked into a route. I'm not aiming to get on anybody's route in particular (same when I got on Choujirou's route), so I guess I'll see whose route I end up on this time.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've played some more Nightshade on PC and ended up on Hanzo's route. I probably would've preferred a character with a personality more unlike Choujirou's, considering Hanzo is stoic as well, but it's not really an issue when I can hardly claim to have played these routes back-to-back. Plus, Hanzo is very different from Choujirou in other ways, like how he's affiliated with an entirely different group of shinobi. What was interesting was that, even before I got on Hanzo's route, the common route branched off in a totally different direction as a result of my choices, which resulted in a lot more interactions with Kuroyuki, Goemon, and Hanzo. I guess the other path of the common route plays out when you've got higher affection with Gekkamaru and Choujirou.

I've been playing Toy Story 2 on my Game Boy Advance SP too, and really, I'm just eager to be done with it. It's not so broken as to be unplayable, but it's definitely poor enough to not be enjoyable either. The control scheme alone is mind-bogglingly stupid. So far, I've gotten up to the eighth stage, which I think is about two-thirds into the game.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm up to Chapter 7 in Hanzou's route in Nightshade on PC. Some of the scenes have been about the same as in Choujirou's route, but it's interesting to see how it differs. When playing through my first route in a visual novel, I always wonder what's unique to that specific route and what plot points will be common to them all.

As for handheld gaming, I finished off Toy Story 2 on Game Boy Color, which I already posted about in the Beaten in 2019 topic. I ran through Easy difficulty with Mai Tachikawa in Tokyo Tattoo Girls on Vita real quick to get the reward for that and to unlock a trophy I had missed.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. Im about 1/3 done

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I got to Chapter in 8 in Hanzou's route in Nightshade on PC what felt surprisingly fast. Maybe it just wasn't very long, or maybe I was really engrossed. Or maybe Hanzou's so brusque that I zip through the lines faster than normal.

I played a little of London Detective Mysteria on Vita for the first time in months too, but I wasn't really feeling it. I enjoy the game tons, but I can't really be invested in two visual novels at the same time. My mind is too focused on Nightshade right now. I ran through the Easy difficulty with two other girls in Tokyo Tattoo Girls also.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm up to Chapter 9 in Hanzou's route in Nightshade on PC now. It still feels like it's moving along briskly. Things could change, but I think I'll end up preferring Choujirou's route. This is still good, but it seems it's following the motions of all otome routes involving a cold, brusque love interest.

I also started playing the Game Boy Color version of Monsters, Inc. on my Game Boy Advance SP. It's not particularly good, yet still significantly better than Toy Story 2. I'm already pretty far into it, I think. I'm up to the sledding stage, which is a nice change of pace compared to the, well, I wouldn't call it "running and jumping", more like "plodding along and jumping". I definitely prefer playing as Mike over Sulley.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Montrealer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    3DS Friend
    0061-4887-4074

These days I'm hard into Theatrythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call, and I also play Ace Attorney Justice For All (I'm starting the 4th chapter)

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've barely touched any games since my last post in this thread. I've had so much going on that I never even finished with the games I last posted about. But I have been playing some Atari Flashback Classics on my Vita ever since I received my physical copy from Limited Run Games. I'm very disappointed in the Classic Edition I bought, which was a total bait and switch from what they had pictured and not remotely worth an extra 15 bucks, but the game itself is a really nice collection. I've mostly been playing my favorite pre-crash game, Centipede, but I've dabbled in some others to pick up trophies for a change of pace. There's a ton of games on here, and I'd like to dig into it more sometime, considering I'm not especially experienced with the libraries of Atari consoles. But for now, it's nice to just play a little Centipede when I can squeeze in a few minutes of gaming.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm working on updating my game list before I sent a PM for Secret Santa, so I'm testing out a whole bunch of stuff. It's good to have something to light a fire under my butt since I've had these games just sitting around in stacks for months. I'm finally getting them cleaned and properly put away. First I tried out Deadbolt on Vita, which I didn't have to clean since it was brand new. Then I tried Phantasy Star III on Genesis. After that, I pulled out my PlayStation. While going through other games, I came across the receipt from when I bought my PlayStation in October 1999 (along with an RF adapter, third-party memory card, Final Fantasy VII, and Star Ocean 2, all for just over $200 after tax), which I didn't even know I saved. The ink has faded to the point of being barely readable, but it's still neat. I tucked it inside the PlayStation's box, so even if it becomes totally unreadable, I'll still know what it is. Anyway, I have a whole bunch of PlayStation games to try out. I've only tested about half so far: Wheel of Fortune, Centipede, Space Invaders, Spider: The Video Game, Driver 2, Austin Powers Pinball, Gran Turismo, and Pac-Man World. I was looking forward to trying Centipede, but it was pretty disappointing. I've got zero interest in playing the arcade original on the disc when I've got a much better version on my Vita, and the modern take (well, modern for back then) is disorienting with the spinning in circles. They should've just approached it like Space Invaders, where it's like the original but in 3D. The only problem for me there is that I've never especially liked any version of Space Invaders I've played.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I finished trying out the other PS1 games I had stacked up: Mega Man 8, Mobile Light Force (yes, the one with THAT cover art), Cool Boarders 2, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Syphon Filter 2, Dynasty Warriors, Top Gun: Fire at Will!, Barbie Super Sports, Contender, Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX, and Power Play Sports Trivia. Some real stinkers in there, but some good ones too. I already have a SNES hooked up because I recently started a cooperative file of Donkey Kong Country 3 with my husband (yeah, I beat the game on GBA just earlier this year, but my husband has never played much of the third game before), but I pulled out another, one that's modded, to try out Daikaijuu Monogatari. The character sprites are tiny but real cute. I kinda feel like the whole premise of this game was centered around using the wordplay Shell Dorado, haha. I played more Centipede via Atari Flashback Classics on Vita very briefly last night until I started playing Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020 with my husband and brother-in-law on my bro-in-law's Switch. Monkey Ball was a letdown for us, but Mario & Sonic was fun. The Tokyo 1964 games are a real hoot.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, that was quite annoying. I seem to have come down with a cold (bad timing right before Thanksgiving, but what can you do), so I figured I'd pull out my Game Boy Advance SP and lounge around with that. But before starting something new, I thought I'd tie up loose ends by trying to finish off Monsters, Inc. for Game Boy Color, which I had gotten close to beating but haven't touched since, like, June. I was up to the second to last stage, so it's moderately difficult, at least with the mediocre controls. But I got used the controls quickly enough that I cleared the stage itself and got to the boss battle at the end of it. A little practice there and I beat the boss, but right as I got the final hit, the damn game crashed for no apparent reason. The music kept playing and the enemies kept looping their defeat animations, but a static noise also started playing, and the game wouldn't accept any input besides Start + Select + A + B to reset the game. :/ Literally all I needed to do was walk over to the cage to trigger a cutscene and the start of the last stage, where I could get the next password. But screw it, I watched a longplay to confirm I had beaten the boss, and I got the password for the last stage online. I'm not gonna replay that entire stage and boss fight just because the game cheated me out of continuing as I should've.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 PS2. I had gotten like 95% of the way through on a previous save file but I couldnt find the memory card with that save file on it so had to start over. sucks as I had dumped dozens of hours into it, had most of the cars, all my records, gone now. oh well

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

As I posted in the Beaten in 2019 topic, I finished off Monsters, Inc. on my Game Boy Advance SP, though it took a ton of attempts at the final stage, which got rather infuriating itself. It's a vertically-scrolling, auto-scrolling stage, where all the platforms are tiny, and you have to control Sully, who is a slow clunky piece of crap with no height to his jumps, so you often have to catch the edge of platforms and hoist yourself up. You're getting chased the entire time by the enemy you defeat in the prior boss battle, and the enemy hops from platform to platform, at an inconsistent rate. If the enemy touches Sully in any way, even if he nicks his feet, it's instant death and back to the very beginning of the stage, since there are no checkpoints. Same with the auto-scrolling. If even your feet disappear below the bottom of the screen, it's instant death. Yet you're free to have Sully completely off the screen at the top, and you basically have to do just that to stay ahead of the scrolling and enemy. I found myself having to memorize where the platforms are and jumping to them before I could even see them, since you're given such a limited view of the stage. Just really dumb design all around, and I always wonder why developers often make games designed primarily for little kids so challenging. If it takes an adult dozens of attempts, I can only imagine what it'd be like for a kid under 10.

Anyway, I started a file in Final Fantasy Legend III, only playing through the opening cutscenes and saving as soon as I was in control, but I'm not sure I'm feeling it now. Sometimes when I'm sick, a game that isn't demanding on reflexes is exactly what I'm in the mood for, but sometimes I don't have the patience when sick for a slow-paced game. I think I'm leaning more toward the latter right now. So I also started the Game Boy Color version of Donkey Kong Country. It's a little overkill to play this when I'm already in the middle of playing Donkey Kong Country 3 with my husband, but we're only playing that sporadically, so hopefully I won't feel like I'm overdosing on the series.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 11-29-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Donkey Kong Country on my Game Boy Advance SP isn't going quite as swiftly as I expected. I got the Game Boy Color version to experience a familiar game in a slightly different way, but I wasn't hoping that would include more lag and slowdown, worse hit detection, and less room to maneuver. But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by any of that, given that, in a lot of ways, this is like if they had made an NES port of Donkey Kong Country, and for a game that was late-ish for the SNES and a technological leap for the system, it's only natural that much weaker hardware would cause a downgrade to more than just the audio and visuals. So all the ways in which it controls and plays differently is making it harder for me. I can whiz through the SNES version at this point, but I've actually seen the Game Over screen quite a few times in this version, even as early as the second area. Thank goodness this version saves automatically after each stage because I think I'd really be struggling if I had to make it to Candy (or Funky) just to save. I'm up to the last stage of the fourth area, which I've already attempted a bunch of times. Any stage with a ton of tires is annoying because the timing to get a big bounce isn't the same as the SNES version, nor is the hit detection for staying on the tire versus slipping off.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm still chipping away at the Game Boy Color version of Donkey Kong Country on my Game Boy Advance SP since beating it. I think I have only two stages left where I haven't entered all the bonus rooms? I've cleared all of Candy's challenges, but I've still barely collected any stickers. I've also barely touched the bonus mini-games so far. I'm not sure if those count toward my percentage. If this were the SNES version, I'd probably be nearly at 101%, but I think I'm only around 80% right now. I've heard talk of a Lost World in this game, but I don't know how it unlocks. So far, Necky Nutmare midway through the final area is the only new stage I've seen.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I tried 100% the SNES version and I think I couldnt find a bonus roon on the first industrial stage. and its one of those games where I refuse to look at a FAQ for it.

another one I got hung up on is Donkey Kong Land. missed a bonus area on a couple stages. very difficult to find everything on those games