Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: What Game/s are You Playing? Daily / Whenever Check :) (GAMEPLAY)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YoshiDM
    PSN
    YoshiDM
    3DS Friend
    0860-4642-4923

Haven't had too much of an urge to post but I just cleaned around my (new to me) desk area in the basement so now I'll treat myself to some online. It's funny, I work in a concrete "cave" most of the time at work and now my leisure area is also in a concrete cave...at least in the basement I have windows!

I had managed to pick up "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" for the Wii U on disk again. I had some credit left at a store and I figured "why not". I brought my secondary Wii U into work and during a few lunch breaks, I hooked it up and played the game on the gamepad. No different than whipping out a handheld in my mind. Since this Wii U was freshly set up and my account is on my "main" Wii U, I started from scratch. After playing "Skyrim" for a while, I find my opinions on this game have changed. While "Skyrim" has a sense of depth and lots of beautiful locations, Nintendo really went the extra mile to make the graphics on "BOTW" stand out. While Bethesda's game has plants and environments that move with the wind and look fairly realistic, "BOTW" really seems to have amber waves of grain moving in literal waves. I also now appreciated the ability to climb pretty much everything, which is something I couldn't do in "Skyrim" (mainly rocks and such). I did just pop into "Skyrim" now to see if my memory was borked but I was right-there really is a difference and Zelda's environment seems more "organic" to me. I find I don't mind the cooking this time around either.

I just got the paraglider and made my way down to the rest of Hyrule. I'm moving my way towards that forest village in the beginning. I'm going to really try and stick with this game.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Just beat Sonic. just in time for the blue rodent to turn 30 (next month I believe.) cant believe it took me 25+ to do this. I only got 4 of the Chaos emeralds so I didnt TRULY beat it but still saw the credits
    Skeleton Warrior Lives Matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YoshiDM
    PSN
    YoshiDM
    3DS Friend
    0860-4642-4923

Why not pump a little life back into this thread? :: starts moving the bellows ::

I decided to give my PS Vita a spin. I bought a triad of games when the storefront was supposed to close. One of those titles was “Axiom Verge”. I knew it was a Metroid-a-like but from online recommendations it sounded solid. I gave it a whirl today and so far it’s decent. Can’t say “great” as of yet as it still feels very Metroid, even with the changes in weaponry and that “code changer” that fuddles up weak enemies or does weird things to certain objects.

The weapons I have so far, minus the Axiom beam is the three way shot, that cluster bomber projectile and the short range burst of energy weapon. Metroid’s weapons have a feeling of purpose as each had its strength and gimmick. In this game, the weapons really just give you multiple ways to kill your foes. The cluster bomb so far is the only one that really is used for solving barrier puzzles (shoot bomb then detonate early so the explosion spreads and hits a switch). But I’m still early in so who knows what other situations I’ll run into.

The control is tight-Metroid tight. That’s a heckuva feat to nail that level of platforming.

Graphics are an homage to a bit of late NES MM5 and with a mix of Tg-16 graphic quality in my mind. Some of the graphics look muted and purposefully grainy but the couple bosses I encountered along with some locales ramped up the fidelity that works with the general aesthetic. Sound is great with a hypnotic techno tunes and well done sound effects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YoshiDM
    PSN
    YoshiDM
    3DS Friend
    0860-4642-4923

Saturday I took a trip through the 3DS eShop to see if there was a demo for “Metroid: Samus Returns”. Of course there wasn’t but I was shown some other options. Two games came up: “Quarters, Please Vol 1 and Vol2”. They are compilations games containing pretty good clones of existing arcade titles like “Centipede”, “Defender”, “Bump n Jump”, “Missile Command”, “Dig Dug”, “Galaga” to name a few. Graphics, characters and names changed to protect the innocent.

To play the games, you walk your pixelated avatar through a tiny three story arcade. You can listen to the chip tunes music and sound effects to get that “arcade” atmosphere or hop onto a machine. I picked up volume 2 for $5 as that seemed more up my alley.

I gotta say, the games are pretty good. The overall vibe reminded me of playing clone games back on the Color Computer (though much better graphics and sound). The only seeming original game was sn endless runner karate game, which I enjoyed as well. When meandering around the arcade, I could pet a cat, change music on the jukebox, change time of day, watch a ping pong match (but not play) and shoot some hoops on the roof.

I never really looked around the eShop, but I’m glad I took the plunge. Never know what gems you’ll find.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

just beat Spyro for PS1 (120%). last time I did that was maybe 20 years ago. such an easy game but its so easy on the eyes and satisfying collecting jewels that it's easy to forgive the kindergarten level of difficulty

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

I finally got all the heart pieces in Zelda ALTTP. The SNES version is harder than the GBA one from what I am remembering (I beat the GBA one first, many years ago.) I was down to only one heart piece and I kept doing the treasure chest game, thinking that was the one I was misssing. So I probably wasted half an hour to an hour of my life doing that when it turned out I forgot to get the one in Blind's hideout in the Light World. also entered the Chris Houlihan room for the first time. this is easily one of my top five favorite games of all time, possibly even my #1. from the memorable music to the clean looking graphics, hreat balance of difficulty, massive bosses. it's hard to find fault with this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YoshiDM
    PSN
    YoshiDM
    3DS Friend
    0860-4642-4923

Recently I tipped over the fence and bought a Switch Lite. I picked up “Super Mario Odyseey” and am really enjoying it. The game is just gorgeous and plays great! I thought the hat mechanic would have been silly but its use has been pretty ingenious so far. I collected enough moons to clear the desert kingdom but I am exploring the world more as I keep finding more.

I’m trying not to peek at hints (I get attracted to using them due to my lack of time) but couldn’t figure out how to get a building in the middle of a killer sludge pond. So I looked and saw just how many moons are in that kingdom. Wow! Lots of stuff to do! And my suspicions were confirmed that your actions unlock other events in the kingdom. So I closed the page and am determined to go about this “naturally”.

Internet Ent Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MadMikeJ83
    Steam
    mad-miker83

In the last week+ a few days and today I've been down with HORRIBLE tonsilitis and mostly watching Arcus speed-runs iand You Can Beat Video Games on YouTube, sometimes on mute, kind of helps me sleep.

Before that, was still leisurely dry-running Dragon Warrior IV for a later Let's Play (and to test out the $250.00 cart I traded a nice chunk of my collection for - I finally have all 4 NES versions), while LPing Dragon Warrior for YouTube. AT one point I got the Mitsubishi TV fixed up (degaussed, tamed down the buzz on brighter screens), that set is awesome for YouTube recordings because it has a RCA passthrough that takes from whatever the current source is, so anything from a real console or computer (wii, Tandy 1000, NES, Atari 2600) can be filmed direct off the CRT TV via the passthrough. Been playing a little Adventure on Atari as well, more as a test for the RF on the TV than anything else.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Ive been playing Banjo Kazooie which is a game that I always associate with Halloween. The main BGM theme in Gruntilda's castle has a Halloween vibe to it, and I love the drawings on the walls which look like Jack o Lanterns. Even though thers only one level that is horror-themed, the whole game has lots of horror-themed elements to it, like Mumbo Jumbo's house, transforming into another creature (a pumpkin of course being the most Halloween-ish.) and the Game Over screen is obviously an homage to Frankenstein. The cauldrons you jump into to transport you, spiderwebs covering Gruntilda's lair.