Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: What Game/s are You Playing? Daily / Whenever Check :) (GAMEPLAY)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've surpassed 30 hours in Mystic Chronicles for PSP via my Vita. Definitely meaty for a Kemco RPG. I'm pretty sure I'm in the final dungeon now (outside whatever post-game dungeons there may be). I've completed every quest currently available, but I could do more stuff in the coliseum. I hear some people grind a lot for the final boss, so if I hit a roadblock, I guess I'll do that (though I can't remember if coliseum battles give EXP). But I don't often run from battles, so maybe I'm good. My party members are around level 60, and they're gaining levels like crazy on the enemies I'm currently facing. This seems like the most labyrinthine dungeon yet. I hope I don't miss any treasure, since I am actually still lacking a few Training Books (but for all I know, they could be in the post-game).

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

There's an option in Mystic Chronicles for PSP to leave any dungeon immediately, without having to work your way to an exit, and while I didn't feel any need to use it before, I finally did so in the final dungeon. It's big and convoluted enough that I actually ran out of SP (which is just MP, really) for all my party members with healing spells. I have items that recover SP (not to mention plenty that heal HP), but I figured I'd start the dungeon from scratch anyway just to get a better grasp of its layout and explore the parts I had missed. Plus, I wanted to put all my new cash and materials to use in weapon/armor tempering. The final dungeon doesn't seem to have a logical flow to its layout, such that you could map it out as one continuous area. You could, say, enter way off to the left and end up in a room that you previously accessed way off to the right, without there being any kind of path that would loop you around. But I think I've combed it over pretty well at this point. I reached the room where I assume the final battle takes place, but there's just one more branch in the dungeon I haven't explored. So I'll go back and do that and then tackle Eveck.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've been kinda stuck in Mystic Chronicles for PSP via my Vita. I've lost to the final boss a couple times now (the second battle, at least, assuming there isn't a third), and there's not much I can do but grind, if not for EXP than for cash and materials to improve equipment. I've been doing tons of tempering, expanding the variety of weapons and armor in my inventory, but it rarely results in anything better than what I already have equipped, and I'm rarely able to improve what's equipped, since the next step up requires rare materials, which I don't even know where to find in many cases. Coliseum battles don't provide EXP after all, so there's not much to gain from those besides a tiny bit of cash and the reward items. I've only gotten up to the intermediate battles there, and the rewards aren't that impressive thus far. Maybe they get worthwhile at the higher levels. I'm low on elemental crystals most of the time, despite the hamsters bringing some in. So I guess if I get desperate I could manually hunt down and grind on the enemies that drop crystals. But I have a feeling that I've been getting very close to defeating the final boss, so it might be as easy as gaining a couple more levels, which doesn't take that long.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've been pretty swamped, so I haven't been playing anything much the last couple weeks. But I did beat Mystic Chronicles for PSP via my Vita, as I already posted in the other topic, and I'm chipping away at the post-game content. I beat the quests that opened up in the Holos and Nord regions (more hunting down mini bosses), and I discovered a section in Valencia Cathedral I never went to before (plus, they put some treasure where the "final" boss had been). Now I'm exploring the sections of Irkalla that had previously been blocked off. The enemies in there are definitely strong, but I can't complain because I'll probably need to grind even more to defeat the bigger, badder boss that's coming. I'm now approaching level 80 for most of my party. I'm assuming the levels stop at 99, so kudos to the game for actually making use of most or all of the levels. It's a nitpicky thing, but it kinda bugs me when an RPG has a max level of 99 yet you'll easily clear everything the game has to offer at, like, 50, and it would take an inordinate amount of time to pointlessly max out your level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know how many times over the decades I have started Final Fantasy III/VI and not finished it, but I am starting again today on the SNES Classic, and this time I am going to finish it.

Maybe...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Ive been playing through Super Mario All Stars on SNES on a JC Penney TV from 1987. Im halfway through SMB2. Not a huge fan of this game. 3 was the best out of these but Im beating them in order from 1-3 then the Lost Levels

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm still really swamped with work and other things (which is rough, but at least I still have work, unlike so many others right now), so I've been barely touching any games. On top of that, I've grown a little bored with Mystic Chronicles for PSP on my Vita. I completed the quests that opened up post-game, so now all that's really left to do is fight the next boss. I gave it a try but got creamed pretty bad. So it looks like it's gonna take more grinding, but having already done a few rounds of grinding before the "final" boss, I'm not really in the mood to do even more right now.

My husband downloaded the 4K, widescreen Super Mario 64 that's out there. It's effectively a PC port of the game. It's really cool to see the game running like that. We took turns getting stars. The camera was driving him nuts because he's so used to the standardized functionality and control of cameras in modern games, but since I don't really touch AAA modern games, I still have no problem with the Super Mario 64 camera.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

TG16 mini
    Ys book 1&2

I was playing streets of rage four on the PS4 but i've completed,enough times all ready.So i was in the mood to play the TG16 version of ys 1&2 again.I've lost track how many times i've beaten ys 1&2 but i still enjoy the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

DonPachi & Batsugun(Arcade)
    Streets Of Rage 3 (MD)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I picked up a GBA SP "101" model for a good price and have been playing "Super Mario Land" on it. I never really played it before and when I got the game last year, I couldn't SEE it that well on my (then) non-lit GBA. It's a fun little title though I swear some of a level repeats (placing of platforms, enemies, etc.).

And I got back into Animal Crossing: New Leaf. I FINALLY paid off the Dream Suite. Now on to the Mueseum Expansion.

Insert Coin (Level 0) dado.marinette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Currently I'm playing super smash bros 64 with friends.

So many good memories of this game, a pleasure to come back to it after all these years
    Check my last project of dice roller online at : https://www.dado-virtual.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

PS4
    Contra Anniversary Collection

Finished the TG16 version of Ys 1&2 awhile ago.The contra collection was on sale and i was in the mood to play a run'n'gun again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Just beat the first quest in Legend of Zelda. I think now I'll focus on SMB 3 as I've never beaten it in the 30 years since I first played it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) dado.marinette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Currently I'm playing Spyro 2 Ripto's Rage on ps1, I'm learning to speedrun.
    Check my last project of dice roller online at : https://www.dado-virtual.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I discovered my game of Zelda 2: Adventure of Link on my 3DS had a save on it, so I decided to polish that one off.

Oh my gawd, I forgot how cheap the enemy hits are! After dying for the last time on the lava on the way to the Golden Palace, the trek back there is super annoying with the dead-eye lizard folk that have no problem pelting you with rocks...from a distance....when they are off the screen! If the followers of Ganon employed these guys for all defenses, Link wouldn't thrown in the towel several palaces ago. I will gladly admit that after I got to the river of lava again, I used the Virtual Console save state feature liberally. Got the red magic jar on the far right of the lava pool and filled my meters-save. Get to the beginning of the first lava sequence. Save. Beat those floating ghosty eyes by being patient and letting them come to me before I progress past the first half of that stage...save. Miscalculated a couple of those floaty ghost eyes, got Simon Belmonted twice in mid air and fell to my death in a bath of lava....reload.

One thing I don't have now that I had in plenty the first time I beat this game (about thirty years ago) is time. I play this on my lunch breaks, which I have been able to thankfully take these recent days, so my window of play is variably narrow. I don't have time to start from the beginning after a death and slog through the annoying bits to get back to where I was and beyond. So I thank Nintendo for the save state feature.

Did anyone else who has played this game to the end get the feeling that the developers just wanted to get the game done after the Ocean Palace? It's like in short succession you get all your remaining spells and items with not a lot of work and they really don't DO much in terms of game play. The Flute makes the Hidden Palace appear, the entrance to where the Magic Key is appear and gets rid of the river monster. After that, you don't need it. The cross allows you to see hidden floaty ghosty eyes. The magic key opens all remaining doors....but the only place left that has doors to unlock before you get to the end is the Hidden Palace. How often does one use the spell....um...Spell? It's not like there's lots of places to fill up your magic when you use it-the abandoned town doesn't have an old woman to refill your magic. The boots allow you to walk on lava and water on the map but you don't get to go to a lot of places as hidden walls block your path.

That's just the magic side-the journey also seems to look like the developers had it. The lava road is basically a somewhat narrow path where it's easy to run into a random encounter where you get marauded by a bunch of ghosty floaty eyes with lava pits everywhere that those precious boots doesn't protect you from. The boots from "Wizards and Warriors" were more effective. Then there are the action parts, then the caves. Just to survive the lava walk needs a lot of luck to get through without hitting encounters and thus saving magic.

I got to the Golden Palace with I think 2 lives to spare. Now I remember why I like the original Zelda better-at least for many of the situations there if you get blasted, it's more your fault than the game being cheap.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Pregnancy sure has a way of being all-consuming. I felt too nauseated and exhausted in the first trimester to even look at games, did some gaming in the second but had a lot of other things I was trying to get done then too, and now in the third I'm back to being exhausted and dealing with a litany of other symptoms that keep me from ever having the time, energy, and concentration to get invested in a game. 2020 seems like it's gonna be a real bust for me when it comes to being at all productive in terms of beating games. But I have casually dabbled in a little bit of stuff lately. My husband hooked up the N64, so I played some Wave Race 64. I've always really loved that one, from the gameplay to the graphics, sound, announcer, pretty much everything about it, yet I've never gotten serious about. I only just now took the time to go through the options and clear all the data from the previous owner, so I can start on unlocking everything myself. It's pretty interesting that you can transfer the cart data to a controller pak and vice versa. I can get first place in the circuit on the normal difficulty without much effort, but I still struggle with the higher difficulties.

My husband also bought the Terraonion MODE for Saturn and Dreamcast, so now we're actually putting our Saturn to use. We only own a couple US releases, and I'm not about to pay the stupidly high prices on secondhand Saturn games these days, so outside of occasionally borrowing games from others, our Saturn was generally untouched. Now with the MODE, it's loaded up with games, and I briefly toyed with a couple. I played a little Puyo Puyo Sun and then Arthur to Astaroth no Nazo-Makai-Mura. I already have the former for N64, but I never played the latter before. Pretty interesting puzzle game, and the Ghosts 'n Goblins theme is super fun of course. Lots of cute little animations and interactions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Aussie: if you like the Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move games, Saturn I think has the best version of BAM 2 Arcade in my opinion. It even makes use of the real time clock for the splash screens (all seasonal).

I beat Zelda 2 Friday night. It was bitterseeet: on one hand, even with saves spots it was still a challenging game. On the other there's good reason it's kind of a "black sheep" of the series (not counting the CD-i),

Insert Coin (Level 0) ArcadePerfect's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Resident Evil 3: Remake . Also, I agree with the person above, Bust A Move 2 on the Saturn is great! I've always wanted a CD-i console, primarily to play 'Hotel Mario'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I had to shift my afternoon client time to tomorrow morning, so I was able to get a lunch break in today. Gaming target: Super Mario 3! When I fired it up on my 3DS, I noticed I had a save. Level 2 with 6 lives, a few decent power ups, a P wing and 2 warp whistles.

6 lives...should be enough. I warped to Level 8. I waited almost 30 years, I don't have time to cut through the other levels (another day, maybe). The tank division in the first board wasn't too bad-not like how I remember. I died a couple times because on the 3DS the screen is so BLACK and I couldn't see the cannon balls as opposed to when I played it on my tube TVs years back. I adjusted my screen and how I was sitting and that helped. The boats also weren't as bad as I recall either-I got through that ok. I'm wondering if just coming off of Zelda 2 helped my skills at all.

On the next board the weird pits with the grabby hands were pretty kind, only sucking me into two of the levels that I was able to get out with a couple leaf power ups. The sky ships...oh my the sky ships...I am thankful I had the virtual console. While I could probably have beaten it the old fashioned way, it would have taken time I can't really dedicate to it like I could years back. After a few restarts of my game save, I got through it. I had no idea Boom Booms could FLY- THAT tripped me up. Level 8-1 I was able to get through, though I got stuck after coming out of a pipe where 3 1-ups were. I figured I could probably fly after running back and forth between the pipe and the Bullet Bill cannon but I had to contend with that Koopa Para Troopa and then I'd get blasted by Bill. I forgot I could pick up turtle shells and use them for shields. So I did that and flew to the end. Level 8-2 wasn't too bad as I recalled I could sink into the first sand pit and go down a pipe to get close to the end. I now have 9 lives and I've saved by the fortress.

I was so jacked-I forgot what it was like to play these old Mario games. Wednesday lunch can't come soon enough.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I love the Puzzle Bobble series. We usually play the MVS versions, but I'll have to check out the Saturn versions sometime.

Speaking of puzzle games, I've been playing a little of The Next Tetris on PlayStation. The Tetris topic we've had on the board probably inspired me some, but what I'm really doing is trying to get acclimated to the one-handed ASCII Grip controller I recently bought. I got it mostly with the intention of playing RPGs with it, but before I get invested in something like that, I figured Tetris is familiar enough and has a control scheme simple enough that it would be a good match for the controller. I suppose other puzzle games would work too, but I own very few for PS1. The controller messes with my brain a little, considering all the muscle memory I have with the standard controllers, but it feels pretty good and fairly natural. I can definitely see this working for me with games that have simple control schemes and/or aren't too demanding on reflexes. It probably helps that I managed to find a brand-new one (for real cheap too, surprisingly and happily), so I'm not fighting with a worn-out, grimy controller.

My motivation in picking up the ASCII Grip is to, maybe at some point, put it to use while breastfeeding. I certainly don't expect to have much time or energy for gaming immediately after my baby is born either, but I'd like to set things up to be as convenient and accessible for me as possible if I do feel up for it in the coming months. So to that end, I also played a tiny bit of Densetsu no Starfy 2 on my GBA SP. I've packed my SP in my hospital bag, and while everything about labor and delivery is totally unpredictable, if I do have time to kill and feel up for gaming at some point during my hospital stay, I figure I should take games that are relatively familiar and not too demanding or challenging. I've already beat the first Starfy, so I got the familiarity there, and I also found it pretty easy. But I at least wanted to get a file started in the second game so that I'm past any intro stuff and can familiarize myself with this game's menus and such. So I'm all set to continue that at any time.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 08-25-2020 at 12:46 PM.