Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: What Game/s are You Playing? Daily / Whenever Check :) (GAMEPLAY)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You probably permanently missed a bonus room in Oil Drum Alley. There's a bonus room within a bonus room in that stage, the only one like it in the whole game, and you only get one shot to do it. You can reset the system, of course, but if you save after getting into the first of those two bonus rooms, without getting into the second, then you're screwed. I'm not sure if the later ports let you reattempt. I made sure to do it right on the first attempt in the GBC version.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

damn.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I missed that one my first time playing the game too.

Anyway, I'm not liking how the Game Boy Color version of Donkey Kong Country handles the added stickers. They lowered what the stages and bonus rooms are worth toward the percentage to shoehorn them in, and you have to beat the game to unlock the options to turn off DK barrels and checkpoint star barrels to access them all. So there are only 6 stickers in each mode (all barrels on, DK barrels off, and star barrels off; one sticker in each area), which makes it like finding a needle in a haystack to begin with. But the real kicker is what I learned when I tried turning off barrels. I figured, since you've beaten the game to unlock those options, you can jump into any stage with whichever barrels turned off, and if you have an FAQ to tell you which stages have stickers, you could gather the remaining stickers relatively quickly. But apparently, each mode is like a separate game, so they expect you to play through the whole game three times over to get 101%, which you could get playing through the SNES original just once. :/ Actually, I don't know if you can turn off both DK barrels and star barrels simultaneously and access 12 stickers in one playthrough, but then you're making the game significantly more difficult, which might take more time to play through than just playing through twice with only one type of barrel turned off per game. Either way, it's a ton of tedious busywork replaying a ton of stages that have nothing new in them just to access the rare few stages that have stickers added. It really highlights the difference between a reasonable amount of collecting/completion like in the SNES original versus how Rare went totally overboard by the time they got to this version in 2000. I mean, this was around when they were putting out stuff like Donkey Kong 64 and Jet Force Gemini, where the collecting was taken to stupid extremes.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm not putting in a lot of time at this point, but I'm still playing Donkey Kong Country on my Game Boy Advance SP. I'm up to Gorilla Glacier in my run with no DK barrels. It's harder than with the barrels, but it's not too bad since you always start every stage (whether from the beginning or at the checkpoint) with both Kongs. So you can still take one hit as you clear each half of a stage (or two if you find an animal buddy). I'm up to Gorilla Glacier. The worst is when I find a sticker and then have an entire area's worth of stages to clear before the next opportunity to find a sticker. In my no continue barrel run, I'm up to the first mine cart stage. I find that mode more annoying, since I think I get more deaths from falling down pits than enemies, and then every instant death sends me back to the beginning of the stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Not much lately. My youngest loves Bubble Bobble arcade, which we play on Coin Ops on the X-box. He can't get enough but *I* sure can.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I got all six stickers in the no DK barrel mode of the Game Boy Color version of Donkey Kong Country, so I guess I'm done with that mode, unless beating the game under that mode counts toward the percentage. I just grabbed the last sticker in Misty Mine and left it at that. I'm up to the third area in the no continue barrel mode, but I still have four more stickers to collect in that mode. I still haven't bothered to get all the bonus rooms in a couple stages, so I don't know how much those will contribute toward the percentage. I believe I'm up to 93%, and I think each sticker only adds 1%. So even with all the stickers, that would only bring me to 97%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Metal Slug 1,2 & 3
    Cadaver (Atari St)

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, the Game Boy Color version of Donkey Kong Country has me a little stumped now. I've found every bonus room, cleared every Candy's Challenge, and collected every sticker, and yet I'm still only at 99%. I thought maybe the last two percentage points came from the bonus mini-game Crosshair Cranky, since I had two levels of that left to clear, but then I cleared another one of them, with no change to my percentage. I thought I could get away with merely getting the stickers I needed in Chimp Caverns and stopping there in my no DK/continue barrels runs, but the only other idea I have for getting 101% is beating K. Rool in those runs too. But if I go to the trouble of doing so and that's not it, I'll be pretty peeved. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of info out there on this specific version of the game. There is an incomplete FAQ on the game that has a checklist for earning 101%, but I don't know how accurate it is. It makes some mention of finishing the "Lost World", but I've seen no mention of a Lost World anywhere else, not within the same FAQ nor elsewhere. Maybe the author is referring to the areas you go to for Candy's Challenges? Or the weird extra islands that you go to in Crosshair Cranky? But I've already established Crosshair Cranky doesn't add to the percentage. I mean, I'll still try to beat the last level of Crosshair Cranky regardless, but I doubt that'll give me the 2% I need for full completion.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 12-19-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I tried out an Atari Flashback 9 as it was on clearance and having a small device is pretty appealing. The power button was defective- the unit always stays on. I was able to play some games before the kids mushroomed around me to play. After a round of Keystone Kapers I found the controllers really sloppy/loose. So it goes back to Meijer.

After that I played a level of Kid Icarus, a game I got when I was in middle school for Christmas.

My son was at the in-laws last night, so a reprieve from Bubble Bobble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Not much lately. My youngest loves Bubble Bobble arcade, which we play on Coin Ops on the X-box. He can't get enough but *I* sure can.
    Bubble Bobble is timeless though as a series it sure can be confusing how each one fits.I don't suppose you're looking forward to bubble bobble 4 and yes it's been awhile for taito.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

what I dont get is how there is "Rainbow Islands: The story of Bubble Bobble Part 2" and "Bubble Bobble 2" . but then again I could just be an idiot.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It turns out there was one more stage of Crosshair Cranky in the Game Boy Color version of Donkey Kong Country than I thought, but I cleared them all. It unlocked another print mode, which is lost on me since I don't own a Game Boy printer, but it did nothing otherwise. I then beat K. Rool on my no DK barrels run and my no star barrels run, and sure enough, each gave me another 1%. So now I'm totally done with the game. The ending barely changed, but I wasn't expecting much in that regard. Anyway, time to move on to something else.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I finally got around to starting up Super Metroid on Super Nintendo, a game I've been meaning to play through for a long time. It's a game I've watched my family play through countless times, so I feel I know it inside out just from that alone, and it's also one I've gotten a good ways in just by playing casually in single sittings (considering it's pretty dang easy). But I've never personally played it all the way to completion, so now I want to take my time with it and do so. But so far, I only have about 10 minutes on the clock because I'm trying to sort out the issues I've been having with some of my controllers. On one of them, the select button wasn't working, and on the other, it's both start and select. So I cleaned both, and I haven't reassembled the latter one yet, but the cleaning resolved the problem with the select button for the former, but left on the d-pad is a little iffy on that one. I noticed there's a tear in the rubber pad below that spot, so I assume there's nothing I can do about that short of replacing that part. I do have other SNES controllers, so it's not a big priority to fix that one specifically, but hopefully the other one will work well after its cleaning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    what I dont get is how there is "Rainbow Islands: The story of Bubble Bobble Part 2" and "Bubble Bobble 2" . but then again I could just be an idiot.
    Don't forget parasol stars which counts as the part three in the series which leads to being chronically confused.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The second SNES controller I cleaned is working fine now (maybe not like new, but these are around 25 years old and have seen plenty of use), so I've got a couple or so hours on the clock in Super Metroid now. It's an interesting experience, half discovering things on my own, half going off of memory of what I've seen. It's also interesting just getting invested in a home console game at all. The last few years have been so dominated by handheld gaming (and visual novels on PC) for me that home console gaming feels kind of foreign now. But that's something I'd like to change. There are a handful of other SNES games I'd like to get to in the semi-near future, and I want to do more PS4 gaming too (I mean, I haven't even played Star Ocean 5 yet, which was why I wanted a PS4 to begin with).

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

just been playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2. one reason I like racing games is because I can mute them and put a Youtube video in the background and listen to that and usually still do well. this is one of my favorite console games of all time and Ive been playing it since it came out 17 years ago (God I cant believe its been that long)

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I just got the Gravity Suit in Super Metroid on Super Nintendo, so I'm starting to explore Maridia. I'm enjoying my time with the game, but it'd be great if I could knock this out before 2020. I haven't hit 15 games beaten in one year in several years.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I remember I got stuck in Maridia the first time I played it. I dont remember how I got stuck but I just remember that was the most confusing part of the game for me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Bubble Bobble is timeless though as a series it sure can be confusing how each one fits.I don't suppose you're looking forward to bubble bobble 4 and yes it's been awhile for taito.
    There's a 4 coming out?

I like Bubble Bobble but like anything, too much of one thing can be a bit tiring.

On Christmas I broke out the 2600 for my wife and I to play. She really got into the paddle games. When we switched to joystick games, I discovered a bunch of my carts were not working (dirty) and then the right direction died on my stick. I hopefully fixed it but haven't had a chance to test it. I also cleaned some carts but got redirected into assembling a Playmobile ginger bread house my youngest three received as a gift.

After that, no real chances to play. I dabbled on Yo Kai Watch as one of my step daughters said it wasn't working. Found out the SD card in the 2DS I got for the kids wasn't compatible. I swapped out the card and all was well. Today I played a little Minecraft and Yoshi's Wooly World on Wii U.

The only other retro thing I did was find the power supply to my NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    There's a 4 coming out?

I like Bubble Bobble but like anything, too much of one thing can be a bit tiring.

On Christmas I broke out the 2600 for my wife and I to play. She really got into the paddle games. When we switched to joystick games, I discovered a bunch of my carts were not working (dirty) and then the right direction died on my stick. I hopefully fixed it but haven't had a chance to test it. I also cleaned some carts but got redirected into assembling a Playmobile ginger bread house my youngest three received as a gift.

After that, no real chances to play. I dabbled on Yo Kai Watch as one of my step daughters said it wasn't working. Found out the SD card in the 2DS I got for the kids wasn't compatible. I swapped out the card and all was well. Today I played a little Minecraft and Yoshi's Wooly World on Wii U.

The only other retro thing I did was find the power supply to my NES.
    Oddly enough i pickup a atari 2600 recently.First console i ever had as a kid so i got one again since i miss it.I haven't mess cleaning the cartridges to much only for a few games etc.Yeah there is a bubble bobble 4 coming to the nintendo switch,wasn't sure but i thought it was out in the uk all ready with a u.s release later on.I've all ready preorder it's physical release from strictlylimitedgames.com.

The trailer for it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzum8sMs98M