Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What Game/s are You Playing? Daily / Whenever Check :) (GAMEPLAY)

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Haven't played much this week, as most of my efforts have been trying to rest. I'm having one of my worst bouts of insomnia in years, which is making me feel like doing nothing. I've spent what energy I have had on things like taking my family to the zoo and housework such as mowing the lawn, but the only gaming I've done has been working on Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and I'm thinking of shelving it.

Initially, I was pretty into it. It plays great, looks great, and sounds great. What's not to like? Its mission-structured gameplay artificially slows the game to a crawl. Every time you complete a mission, you are forcibly recalled to a bunker, completely disrupting the flow of the game. Compounding this is a focus on collecting gems, money, and finding Boos. You end up having to redo the same puzzles over and over, which is a tedious decision that wastes my time. Hand in hand with that is that the fun of exploring a big mansion has been replaced with a segmented, linear approach full of unnecessary backtracking. Shame on you, Nintendo. It's a good game made to be more boring simply by stupid design choices.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 04-10-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

I started up Densetsu no Starfy on GBA a few days ago, and I already have it beaten, but I still have a lot more to do. It's a fun game, if a tad easy. It's a little talky for a platformer too, but I could be saying that because I'm slow at reading Japanese, and my knowledge of the language is still so weak that I can't understand a lot of what's said (which is kinda sad, considering this is a game designed to be accessible for young Japanese children, haha). So between taking extra long on the dialogue and breezing through the action lightning fast, I felt a little impatient with the cutscenes.

I hear this series compared to Kirby a lot, if only because they're cute, easy platformers with a hero who's somewhat similar in appearance and shape, but having beaten this game, I now see that there are even more parallels. For one, there's the structure of the titles. You've got Hoshi no Kirby and Densetsu no Starfy. A possessive with the hero's name as the second word. On that note, that's one minor annoyance I have not with the game itself but with the "fandom" (if you can say there's such a thing as a Western Starfy fandom). All over the place, I see the title translated as "Legend of Stafy/Starfy". I don't care how people choose to spell the hero's name, but that's not how Japanese possessives work. For that translation to work, the title would have to be "Stafy/Starfy no Densetsu". Just as the Zelda games are "Zelda no Densetsu". When you translate a Japanese possessive as "something of something", the word after "no" comes first. A proper translation of this game's title would be "Starfy of Legend". Of course, that sounds pretty awkward, hence Nintendo going with the equivalent but more natural "The Legendary Starfy".

Anyway, that grammar/translation tangent aside, another obvious Kirby similarity is that, after you beat the game once, you're then encouraged to return to all the stages to go on a treasure hunt. As you find each item, a little picture appears on a grid-based menu, and I almost had to laugh at how reminiscent it is of The Great Cave Offensive in Kirby Super Star. It's nice that they give this longevity to the game with all the stuff you can collect after first clearing the game, to earn the true ending and such, but it's also kind of annoying how you can't even begin to work on this collection the first time through the stages. It kind of comes off as forced repetition. Like how you can't even collect all of a stage's treasures in one go, as grabbing a treasure counts as clearing the stage, forcing you to start from scratch when you go for the next treasure. You also need to do a ton of grinding for pearls to unlock the full group photo. Oh well, I complain, but I'm still doing it anyway, haha.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 04-12-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Spent some time Monday afternoon getting to know Gunhed on Famicom a little better. It's a strategy game based on the giant robot movie of the same name, which has loose ties to Gunhed on PC Engine, better known as Blazing Lazers here.

It's pretty fun if a little repetitive as strategy games go, but for its time, offers a pretty robust set of actions as well as some solid real-time battles. I did a write up with some screenshots in the Import Mania sub-forum in the "Opinions on poorly documented imports" thread. It was pretty fun, and for some reason left me wanting to also play 10101 Will the Starship on PS1.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Shaddap!

Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus (Sony PlayStation 1, 1999)

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

I have one single treasure left to collect of the 45 in Densetsu no Starfy on GBA, and I'm assuming the final boss is holding it. Collecting the treasures was slow going at first, as I beat the game with only one of the power-ups/alternate forms unlocked, and a lot of the treasures require the use of those. Once I managed to find them all, though, everything started to fall into place. Another thing that kind of bugs me about the repetition in this game, though, is that, in the stages that end with a boss, the boss holds a treasure, but ONLY when you've collected all the others in the stage. If you fight the boss with others remaining, you get jack. And as far as I know, there's no way of knowing this until you get all but one in a stage (at least at that point, Kyorosuke the clam will tell you to fight the boss again). So, say you have 3 out of 5 treasures in a stage, and you know where one is but can't get it because you don't have the power-up yet. You could spend all eternity scouring the stage to find the other, not realizing that the boss will have it after you get the one you know about but can't get yet. Anyway, as for the other collectibles, I need about 2000 more pearls to finish off the group photo, and I need to encounter 5 more enemies for the picture book. I'm kind of at a loss as to where those enemies are. I mean, the game tells you which stages they're in, but I've already gotten every treasure in those and, as far as I know, beat every enemy along the way. I'm also pretty confident I beat the mini-games on hard in each stage to access the hidden areas to get the enemy in each of those, so what did I miss? I hope there's an FAQ out there with info on how to find every enemy.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

I totally finished off Densetsu no Starfy, finding 100% of everything, so back to the container of GBA carts it goes.

I started up Nightshade on Steam, which I had been eagerly awaiting. It's another otome visual novel, with the same artist who did Norn9. I only just today cleared the prologue, though. My excitement to play it was kinda killed by all the issues it had at launch. First, the English text was all screwed up and overlapping, making it barely readable. Then they fixed the spacing, but the font was still wrong. They changed the font after that, but it's still not the one it was intended to be. It's perfectly playable now, but all these issues were a real turn off when I had wanted to crack into it immediately. Anyway, it seems interesting so far, but other VNs I'm even more excited about are coming soon. And maybe it's a little silly, but I don't want to get burnt out on this artist's style, having just been playing a bunch of Norn9. Period: Cube, with Kuroyuki's funky art style, should be a nice change of pace.

I was also "forced" into playing some Wayne's World on NES, haha. Man, what a turd. Also a little bit of Vigilante on TG-16, which I'm not particularly fond of either. These two were via emulation.

Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

NFL Sports Talk Football '93 Starring Joe Montana (Sega Genesis, 1992)

Sometimes I just like to play the old sports games and this one Talks..

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

castlevania harmony of dissonance on my gba android. trying to get back to a little secret of mana before firing up lego star wars 2: original trilogy.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

I wanted a decent stopping point in Norn9 on Vita, so I got both endings in Itsuki's route (though I'm strangely missing more CGs than expected), and I'll leave it at that. Next time I play the game, I plan to start up Akito's route, but that'll probably be a while with all the new visual novels that'll keep me occupied.

I've played a little more of Nightshade on Steam, but I'm still super early in the game, so not much to say there. Another otome VN release caught me by surprise when I suddenly got an e-mail saying The Charming Empire was out on Steam. I snapped that up immediately too. I don't normally buy VNs that were originally developed for mobile platforms, as they tend to be a lot shallower than full-fledged PC and handheld/console VNs, but considering The Charming Empire is getting ported to Vita in Japan and has full voice acting, I figured it was a step above most. It's not bad so far, though it definitely shows its mobile roots, and it seems like a light affair. I hear it's pretty short, but that's no problem for me, since I'm already drowning in long VNs that I've yet to complete (or even start, in many cases). I breezed through the prologue and chose to start Tanba's route, if only because he's the first listed. The chapters/episodes of each route seem to fly by too. I'm on the 4th or 5th in Tanba's route, and I've barely played so far.

It's kinda funny how I can't escape similarities to Norn9 lately. First with Nightshade, having the same artist, then with The Charming Empire, having the same Taisho Roman setting.

Besides all those otome visual novels, I also played a little Super Castlevania IV via SNES emulation.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

I've been playing a whole bunch of random stuff lately. The most exciting thing is that our CRT TV is fixed. So we've been trying it out with a lot of different stuff, adjusting the picture and what have you. On MAME, I played Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Tokimeki Memorial: Taisen Puzzle-Dama, and Mega Twins. Via SNES emulation, I played Miracle Girls, Super Loopz, and Cameltry. Almost beat Cameltry, so I'd like to get back to that and finish it off. On the Ball was one of the earliest SNES games I ever owned, so it's always fun to return to it.

We also busted out Mario Kart: Double Dash, which we played on our Wii, for some 3-player racing and battling. Good times.

On the visual novel front, I'm still playing The Charming Empire on Steam, and I've cleared Toki Tanba and Kei Yoshimine's routes. Right now, I'm on the second chapter of Koichiro Sera's route. I also got Period Cube on Vita as soon as it came out, and I'm on the second chapter of that too. Apparently I've ended up on Hiroya's route.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

We're still doing a lot of setting up over here with the fixed CRT. Both physically setting things up and setting up emulators and such. Oh, and after having it kick around since... I wanna say 2005, our broken spare PC Engine Duo-RX is finally fixed.

Via MAME, I played through Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time, which I had already posted about in the Beaten in 2017 topic. Also played some Super Mario World and Akumajou Dracula XX via SNES emulation. Man, am I rusty at Dracula XX. I used to be pretty damn good at that game. Though I wasn't really playing seriously.

I played a tiny bit of Puyo Pop on Neo Geo Pocket Color, thinking I'd maybe play through that for the Game Completion Challenge, but I'm not really feeling Puyo Puyo right now for whatever reason. So I think I'll just put it back on the shelf.

In The Charming Empire on Steam, I'm now up to chapter 7 or 8 in Koichiro Sera's route. I like how this route has some chapters that flow from one to another. Kei's route mostly felt like a series of disjointed vignettes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Been playing some Tempest 2000 on Jaguar the last couple of nights. That game looks so good in S-video. About once a year I go through a love affair with that game for a few days. I love the heck out of it, but I'm pretty mediocre at it. I usually clear about 40 webs on a credit, but I start really getting killed on the yellow frame webs. I'm getting better at them, though.

The thing that always pulls me back is that a single credit often lasts upwards of an hour, which really can be exhausting to play more than one or two games when it starts getting intense. Still, like many other people, it's easily my favorite game on the console, and my personal favorite version of Tempest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Donkey kong arcade. no emulation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Earlier today, I played two credits of Tempest 2000 on Jaguar. Set a new personal high score at around 780,000, but each credit lasted a good hour, which is a little exhausting for such a chaotic game.

Tonight, I decided to take a break and played through Duck Tales Remastered on PS3. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a very easy game, but fun to play all the same, and definity captures a Duck Tales feel. Much better than last week when I needed to be up late and played Wario Ware.

Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Earlier today, I played two credits of Tempest 2000 on Jaguar. Set a new personal high score at around 780,000, but each credit lasted a good hour, which is a little exhausting for such a chaotic game.

Tonight, I decided to take a break and played through Duck Tales Remastered on PS3. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a very easy game, but fun to play all the same, and definity captures a Duck Tales feel. Much better than last week when I needed to be up late and played Wario Ware.
    Duck Tales Remastered on PS3..I need to get that...

Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Playing a bunch of Sega Master System Games,none working so I had to open them up and clean them..

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Game Gear, 1992

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds on Vita has completely consumed my gaming attention. Which works out fine because I ran into some PC issues, which required a format, and I still haven't set everything back up, which means no Steam for now. I download my Steam games to a portable drive, but I hate how some games store their saves elsewhere.

Other than that, we had a friend stay over for a night just to hang out, so we had a ton of emulated gaming going on. I played quite a few rounds of Taisen Puzzle-Dama via MAME, and we had some intense mini-game battles in Kirby Super Star, haha.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds on Vita has completely consumed my gaming attention. Which works out fine because I ran into some PC issues, which required a format, and I still haven't set everything back up, which means no Steam for now. I download my Steam games to a portable drive, but I hate how some games store their saves elsewhere.

How is Hakuoki? I've got it coming this week but I've not read an awful lot about it (good or bad).

Anyway, I've taken a week break from Persona 5 (which I've been loving) to play some more Vita games:
    I managed to platinum PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate (it was good despite some annoying stages that slowed my progress at times)

I've restarted Guacamelee, which I have finished before on the PS4, but I wanted to get back and 100% the Vita version as I loved it so much. And its still so good. The exploration is satisfying, the visuals are lovely and the combat is brilliant (your moves combo together so well). Just heading toward Jaguar at the moment, so I'm getting closer to the end of the game. Absolutely worth playing for fans of action/platformer games or someone just looking for a good "Metroidvania" game.

I've also started F1 2011. I'm not a Formula 1 fan, but I do enjoy different racing games, and I'm working on clearing every Vita launch game so it seemed like a decent choice. I'm really liking it so far. It feels like a more arcadey feeling racing game which is good, I dislike sim based racers. Plenty of modes to work through as well so I can see it lasting me a very long time.

Lastly, I finished Army Corps of Hell this week - another launch Vita title. Its a strange game, basically using a Pikmin style combat system but the game is nowhere near the quality of Nintendo's title. Its a game that kind of forces you to grind after a while, as otherwise the game becomes insanely unfair/difficult. That said, when you hit the point where the Magi class has the best weapon, and is basically the only class you want to use for the late game stuff it actually gets better. The later levels even off difficulty wise, as its more about fighting bosses and huge waves of enemies and less about annoying trap rooms. I actually ended up enjoying the last 25% of the game while the middle part was a mix of frustration and boredom. Definitely glad I persevered though.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

I'm a newbie to Hakuoki too. Despite that I love otome visual novels, I never bothered to pick it up on PSP or 3DS (I did get the action spin-off on PSP, but that's in my backlog), and while I did get the PS3 version when it launched, I still don't have a PS3 to play it on. I'm really liking it so far. Lots of interesting historical drama and political intrigue, plus some supernatural elements, with a localization that reads nicely, and lovely art and music. The one thing that's kind of disappointing is that it doesn't have the full story in the previous releases. Since they doubled the number of routes and also incorporated fandisc content, the cost for all that added content is that it's split into two releases, and right now, there isn't even a release date for localization of the second part. This first part is almost nothing but common route, so there's barely any romance at all. I guess the second part will be totally focused on the relationships.

Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The Punisher (1990) (Nintendo, 1990)

NBA Jam SNES...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Last weekend played some Rough Ranger (Arcade). Pretty fun Rolling Thunder clone I've been going on about in Arcade Alley.

Played Tekken 2 (Arcade) yesterday. It's the first version of Tekken I've ever owned, as I won it for $10 with a power supply, JAMMA harness, and Namco kick harness. I was never into Tekken, but wanted the kick harness, and can use the other stuff to build someone a supergun. Anyway, it's playable, and I'm sure some friends will dig it, but I far prefer Sega's 3D fighters, and any 2D to boot.

Finally playing through Zelda: Link's Awakening on original Game Boy. It's pretty okay so far. I like that the dungeons are small.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I played through Noah's Ark on Bible Adventures for NES for the thousandth or so time. I genuinely don't care that it's an objectively bad game; I've always found it somewhat calming and therapeutic to play, just quietly collecting animals with minimal resistance. It's silly, but as a game I grew up with, it's just one that suits me at times.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Though I was very much enjoying Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds on Vita, I hate to leave Period Cube barely touched, so I switched back to that. I'm now on Chapter/Quest 4 in Hiroya's route. I also briefly tried out some new Vita acquisitions. I popped in both Mutants Mudds Deluxe and Mutant Mudds: Super Challenge. Neither impressed me much. Even though, generally speaking, I like straightforward platformers more than Metroid-style games, I'd say Xeodrifter is the better game from that developer. Though maybe my mind would change after more time with the Mutant Mudds games. Similarly, Earth Defense Force 2 didn't really grab me. I know that franchise has a cult following, but I wasn't seeing what all the hype was about.

I decided recently to pick up a couple GBA games I've been putting off buying for years and years, and the first to show up was Donkey Kong Country 3. I love the SNES original and have played that tons, so the main draw here was to hear the brand new soundtrack. I played till I cleared the first boss (that dumb belching barrel). The new music isn't bad, nor was I ever that crazy about the SNES soundtrack, but man, does it throw me off. I'm just so accustomed to how the game sounds on SNES. The graphical changes don't do much for me (I miss Wrinkly's N64), and the added mini-games are pretty lousy. But nitpicks aside, it's a fun game in any form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's been kind of a crummy week for me in a lot of ways, but I finally squeezed in a little time today and finished Link's Awakening for Game Boy. Overall, I like it. The later dungeons are very tedious with gimmicks that require a lot of backtracking, and there's little to no challenge in the game. The jumping mechanic and boomerang are totally broken, allowing early access to a lot of stuff to a decent player, making dodging enemies a breeze, and the boomerang mauls everything. That said, it's still a pleasant overall experience, with useful items, piles of secrets, and quick pacing. It's the first Zelda I've enjoyed in years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Played an old board game (Solarquest) with my wife until she was sleepy, then played some A Link to the Past on SNES for the billionth or so time. Went from new file through the fourth palace in the dark world in a couple of hours. Then, to cap it off, I played through Fatal Fury: 1st Contact on NGPC before heading off to bed myself. I have some fun stuff that'll be coming in the mail over the next couple of weeks including a couple of arcade pcbs, so that stuff'll be good. Probably finish Zelda tomorrow evening, then who knows.