Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: What Game/s are You Playing? Daily / Whenever Check :) (GAMEPLAY)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've really been getting into London Detective Mysteria on Vita, so I haven't touched my Wii since my last post. The chapters don't seem to be numbered, so I've lost track of how many I've completed, but I finished a chapter that focuses on Jack (though I already know his route isn't available the first time through).

I also finally tried out Ganbare Goemon: Uchuu Kaizoku Akogingu. I was too lazy to pull out my Japanese PS2, which is how I normally play Japanese PS1 games, so I took out my modded launch model PS1 instead, which I probably haven't turned on in at least a decade, since I mostly just have it as a collectible. It still works and still loads Japanese games, but it did have a hard time of it, with the music skipping a lot. I didn't play long, and the scaling is kinda funky, but it seems like it could be fun when I'm ready to invest more time into it and actually get my Japanese PS2 out.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I've been playing Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap on Switch and just got the Lion form. I never played the original, but this really makes me want to pull it out to compare. I stumbled into an area called The Unknown and the platforming was really challenging, but had me coming back over and over because I was always "so close".

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

tomb raider shadow xbox one/pc
    call of cthulhu xbox

overwatch couple hours most days with the wife

bang dream phone game
    rhythm title

horizon chase on switch-amazing racer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

PS4
    Dark Souls remastered

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Time for gaming has been real scarce lately. Hence why I still haven't beaten Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth, which I haven't touched in over a month. I hope I'm not totally rusty at it whenever I get back to it. :/

I have been spending a lot of time hanging out with family. We played some 2-player Puzzle Bobble 2 via Neo Geo emulation. We also took turns in Donkey Kong Country 2 via SNES emulation. Not the actual 2-player modes in DKC2, but in the single-player mode. Now that I think about it, it's been forever since I've played through that game by myself, despite my replaying of the first just a few years ago and the third last year.

Since I've been receiving some of my old Limited Run Games orders recently, I briefly tried out Race the Sun, Rabi-Ribi, and Another World on Vita. I squeeze in a tiny bit of time for London Detective Mysteria here and there, usually when it's so late at night that I'm too tired for something intensive like Castlevania. Visual novels are nice because you can typically save at any time, and I don't usually get too wrapped up in trying to pull something off. So they're good when I only have, say, 30 minutes to play.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Steam
    Maruko Tenada

So, 2019, I played through Super Mario Land (GB) (can't remember if I've ever played it through.)
    Working on Zelda 2 (I've beaten it before, but I'm trying to work through the series)
    Finished Zelda Oracle of Seasons

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

As I posted in the Beaten in 2019 topic, I've been doing a decent amount of portable gaming the last few days. I started and finished Magic Knight Rayearth on my Game Boy Advance SP, and then I played through Sesame Street: The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland via Game Boy Color emulation, haha. I had been playing a little of Skate or Die: Bad 'N Rad a year or two ago, and I picked that back up and practiced and practiced and died and died until I could finally eke out a victory. Now I've popped in Crayon Shin-chan 2: Ora to Wanpaku Gokko Dazo. It seems like the kind of game where it's a breeze if you want to just get to the end of each stage and beat it, but it puts up more of a challenge if you try to collect all the smileys and get the best ending. I suppose that's smart given the license. I'm sure a lot of Shin-chan fans are very young, so they can skip the optional stuff and enjoy the easy base game.

Besides the Game Boy stuff, I tried out Angry Birds Star Wars for Vita. I couldn't possibly care less about the Star Wars franchise, but it was fairly fun. As huge as Angry Birds is (or was?), it's actually my first time playing it.

I also played some other random stuff via emulation during hangouts. We had two TVs going with the SNES version of Donkey Kong Country, and two people playing cooperatively on each, with some swapping in and out on occasion. Our two teams were sort of racing each other, but we didn't have any particular end goal in mind, and we all quit once we got up to around the fourth/fifth areas. We also played more Neo Geo Puzzle Bobble, but we played the first one this time.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I finished off Crayon Shin-chan 2: Ora to Wanpaku Gokko Dazo on my Game Boy Advance SP, getting both the standard ending and the better ending. I was thinking about what Game Boy game I could play next, but nothing is really speaking to me right now. I popped in Paperboy (the Game Boy Color version), as I have in the past, thinking "I could probably get through this fast." But like my previous attempts, I just couldn't bring myself to play it for more than maybe 15 minutes. I've never been a Paperboy fan to begin with, and I don't know if this would even be considered a good port. So I put that away and pulled out McDonalds Monogatari: Honobono Tenchou Ikusei Game. I've got no problem with this goofy sim, but it seems like something that could take a significant amount of time, so I don't know if I'm up for getting seriously invested in it just yet.

I also finally got back to Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth on Wii, and I was pleasantly surprised to see I'm less rusty than I expected. I casually blew through the first four stages on one credit, even with being pretty lax and making some careless mistakes here and there. I just wanted a warm-up to familiarize myself with the game again, so I didn't bother tackling stage 5, where I last left off, but hopefully I haven't lost my chops there either and can have both it and the game as a whole cleared soon.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I have renamed this thread from including '2017/2018' to instead encompass more years. So let's keep using this thread henceforth for WGYP every year!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

My playing of Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth on Wii is still sporadic (all the more so with my spouse playing Dragon Quest XI on that same TV now), but I did finally clear stage 5. It didn't take much practice to do so. I was already just about there when I left off, so it only took a little refresher on the stage itself and a couple practice attempts at Death to learn the rest of his attack patterns. Now I'm practicing on Dracula. I think I'll probably have him beat with less practice than stage 5. The biggest challenge is in dealing with my impatience and not making a dumb mistake in haste. Four different forms is a bit much. I can break the jaw of the big mask/skull in a flash, but the first two forms feel like they take forever. I get all the more impatient because they're based on classic forms I've fought countless times before. Right now, the best I've done is getting his final form's life bar down to four slivers. So if I just make sure I don't make any sloppy mistakes earlier in the fight, I'll have him licked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've actually been able to eek out a little game time on my portables since my last post. On my DSi XL I've been playing Star Fox Command that I got ftom my Secret Santa. I had this game when it came out but for some reason quit after I beat it and got that lousy ending. This time around it's got my attention and am nearing or on the last mission on my first play through.

I have not played Namco Museum but my step son has moved from Galaga to Dig Dug 2. Guess he got frustrated at my score.

When I watch my daughter in the morning at the ex's, she and I have been playing Minecraft before she goes to school. I've been building a mall from my childhood that was knocked down last year but shifted gears to build a restaurant in a villager town. It turned out to be pretty nice, complete with bar, a basement for "cold" storage and stables in the back for horses.

I recently did some trades and dipped my toes in the world of the PSP. I have a slim model along with Burnout Legends. I miss playing my Xbox and Burnout Revenge (as I wouldn't be able to get TV time with it-everyone would complain about "their turn") so this substitutes nicely. I'm still getting use to the controls but I got a bronze medal in the first road rage stage.

The PSP currently sits at work with my 3DS which has Legend of Zelda:Link Between Worlds. That game rubbed me wrong somehow the first time I played it to the point that I traded it. Now I "get it" and am at the Palace with the Master Sword.

My Vita has been silent. I want to remove the cellular modem as I think that is why the battery drains overnight. However the screws are stripping so I need to drill them out and don't have a bit small enough. Plus I'm a little afraid to. I read the Vita should work fine with the modem removed.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've been trying to figure out McDonalds Monogatari on my Game Boy Advance SP. It seems kind of similar to Harvest Moon in a number of ways. There's a calendar, and the game goes from day to day. As far as I can tell, there's nothing that would end the game prematurely, so I assume you get a certain length of time to make the best life you can. There's barely any English info out there on this game, and what little there is seems to be from people who don't play long and don't necessarily have the greatest grasp of Japanese. But I did watch a review that said the game ended in a year. I've played most of the first month so far, and I still don't really know what I'm "supposed" to do. I'm playing as the manager of the McDonalds in Happy Town, haha, and I guess my goal is to level up my staff? And I seem to do that by doing their work for them, haha. So there are five mini-games, and grinding away at those increases the employee stats. The stats will also slowly drop if you don't work toward maintaining them. There's a limited amount of stamina and time, so there's only so much that can be done in one day. The protagonist has their own level, which I seem to increase at random by talking to customers. Sometimes talking to them makes it go up, sometimes talking does nothing, and sometimes talking makes it go down and trigger one of the employees needing help with their job. I can go to various places around town, like the homes of the staff, a movie theater, theme park, shrine, etc., but that doesn't seem to do much but increase or decrease that same level, use up or add to the stamina, and/or use up time. One time, my protagonist got asked on a date, but nothing much came of that. It doesn't seem like there's an actual romancing system, but who knows. I picked a female protagonist, so she got asked by a guy. I assume a girl asks if you pick a male protagonist. That's about the extent of what I've seen and figured out so far. For all I know, I could be doing everything all wrong and screwing over some invisible stats, but with many things being seemingly random and others being very basic, I can't imagine any vastly different approach to playing.

Other than that, I've been playing Choujin Heiki Zeroigar on PC-FX, or perhaps I should say "God-Fighter Zeroigar", as I'm playing a patched burn of the game rather than my official Japanese copy. I've been wanting to check out the fan patch for a very long time. I've been enjoying it a lot so far, but I haven't put much time into it just yet.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

As I posted in the Beaten in 2019 topic, McDonalds Monogatari on my Game Boy Advance SP basically came to a premature end for me when I seemingly ran out of things to do in it. So after skipping to the end in that, I wanted to start up another portable game, especially since home console time has been elusive as ever for me. So I decided to give a serious go at something a bit unusual for me. I started playing the very first Metal Gear on MSX via the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection on Vita. I have the same version of MGS3 that includes the MSX games on PS2 and 360, but I don't even have those systems out right now, and I know I'm gonna be better able to make time for the game on a handheld. Anyway, though I've enjoyed watching others play them plenty, I've never beaten any Metal Gear game myself (*insert shocked and horrified gasps here*), and I'm fairly inexperienced with stealth games in general. So to no great surprise, I'm not very good at it so far. I've taken an elevator up, but I keep dying on that floor, either from stepping in the gas room with no mask or being impatient and getting spotted. There are so many locked doors everywhere that I quickly concluded I couldn't memorize them all, so I'm drawing the place out on graph paper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I haven't had time for games plus with my wife's Lent rule of "thou shalt not play video games except on Sundays" prohibits play at home when I do have time.

My wife and I stayed at a local resort overnight to get away and the place had an arcade. Unfortunately it was mostly redemption machines. I did get my wife to play skee ball, which she never did before.

Annnnd that was all the gaming I did recently. Though on a side note, the room/mini condo we stayed it had a pair of antenna rabbit ears and manuals for the appliances from when the place was built back in the 90's. There was once a 20" Zenith tabletop CRT TV in the bedroom along with a TV/VCR combo in the bedroom. So that tickled the retro-bone.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

serect of mana and breath of fire 2

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've been very slowly chipping away at Metal Gear via the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection on Vita. I'm now in the second building and just got the sixth key card. For some reason, I assumed the whole game would be in one single building, and I think I may have enjoyed it more were that the case. Not that I want the game to end sooner, but there's satisfaction in, bit by bit, mapping out a whole building and figuring it out. Having to immediately start from scratch on another building kinda takes away from the sense of accomplishment. On top of that, the second building is a little annoying. The one-way elevators are a nasty trick, and of course the first time I was in one I went all the way to the opposite end to check out how many floors I had access to, only to then discover I couldn't go back down. The pitfalls that randomly open up are pretty mean too. And there are plenty of rooms where the enemies are alerted as soon as you step in and other spots where you can't avoid taking damage (like taking the gas mask off to switch to your key cards). But those gripes aside, I'm still having fun with it. Going off of my menus and such, I'm guessing I'm maybe two-thirds or three-quarters done with the game? There are still a fair number of locked doors I haven't opened in the second building, so I'll have to see what I can access with that sixth card.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

As I posted in the Beaten in 2019 topic, I finished off Metal Gear via the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection on Vita. I'm currently staying with family and have a lot going on, so I haven't been doing much gaming, but I have started reading Nintendo Power again, resuming where I left off in the July 1994 issue. I read the SNES Tetris 2 coverage in it, so I've been toying around a little with that, which is possibly the first time I've played the game since the 90s. It was only the second or third SNES game I ever had (second I put any significant time into, at least, as one of those first three, Jurassic Park, was too confusing and scary for me at the time, so I barely played it). I saw a commercial for it on TV, which got me hyped up for it, and as best as I can recall, I had already briefly played and enjoyed Tetris on Game Boy at that point. But I ended up not liking Tetris 2 much and only begrudgingly played it, trying to convince myself I was having fun. I still don't like it much (and I'm kind of sick of the original Tetris too, for that matter, after playing it endlessly once I got my own Game Boy), but it's at least worth a revisit after all this time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I started checking out the NESMaker 2019 Byte Off entries. I put the Mesen core on my NES Classic to try andcplay these Mapper 30 games. It works but seems slow. I'll have to test Mesen on my PC, hopefully tonight.

Beyond that, I haven't had time and my wife's home Lent rules are now over so maybe I can finish Star Fox Command.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm back home now, so I have access to my full collection again and can hopefully get some regular gaming going. I'm not sure if I'm going to resume Tetris 2 on SNES or not, but I do have my password for where I left off in the puzzle mode. I think I'm roughly 40 puzzles in? I definitely should get back to Tokyo Tattoo Girls on Vita, though. After clearing the game with one girl, as I posted about in Beaten in 2019, I beat it on Normal with two more, beat it on Easy with the first girl, and then started Normal with a fourth girl. It's only the first time through with each girl that takes some time, as I want to read and hear all the lines when conquering each ward. I skip through those scenes on subsequent runs.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've barely touched any games in around a month now, but besides playing through the arcade version of The Simpsons with family, I've been slowly going through a big stack of Vita games I've received recently. So far, I've played a tiny bit of Spelunky, Iconoclasts, and Nurse Love Syndrome. As popular as it is, I don't know if Spelunky is really my thing. I've never been that into Spelunker to begin with. Iconoclasts seems pretty cool, though I'm undecided on its style. The pixel art itself is well done, but the style of it (and also the tone of the storytelling) seems like it's maybe a little too millennial/hipster-y for my tastes, if that makes any sense whatsoever. I guess I'll come to a conclusion whenever I decide to sink more time into the game.