Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: What Game/s are you Playing? Daily/whenever check :) 2017/2018 Edition (GAMEPLAY)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

As I said in the Beaten in 2018 topic, I finally beat The Jungle Book on SNES, so that's another one knocked out. I'll probably start up another SNES game soon.

Since I got Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome finished off, I returned to Nightshade on PC for the first time in over a year, and it's a nice change of pace playing a visual novel with a more serious tone, with a more interesting overarching plot, and much better art. I barely touched Nightshade when it first came out, only clearing the prologue before a bunch of other visual novels came out and took my attention away from it. I'm on Chapter 2 now, and the game seems to be setting up the introduction of the last remaining love interest who has yet to make an appearance. Also, I gotta say, whenever Goemon Ishikawa is on screen, or when they're talking about him, I can't help but think of Konami's Goemon series, which makes things a little awkward considering Goemon is a flirty bishounen in this game, haha.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I haven't been around much real busy with my dads estate ..He passed away on the 20th 2018..

He was an avid gamer so I play things that he loved such as Bosconian

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Sorry about your dad, my condolences. Wonderful way to celebrate him, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Indeed, my condolences, Daryll.

I'm still playing Nightshade on PC, and I'm currently on Chapter 3. I wasn't targeting anyone in particular, but I ended up on Choujirou's route.

I also started something of an experiment by resuming my file in Breath of Fire on my GBA SP. It had been over four years since I dropped it, and I don't think I've ever tried to resume a game in the middle after that long of a hiatus, let alone an RPG. I was playing it during a tumultuous time in my life, so that was a big factor in why I stopped playing. It was also starting to overstay its welcome with how long it was and the endless random battles. I had remembered all this time that I stopped when I needed to get a tonic to cure Nina's amnesia, but making the tonic involved finding four ingredients. I only had one already and no idea where to find the others. It was effectively a worldwide scavenger hunt, without the benefit of an airship. The clues the game gives are barely helpful at all, and the abbreviated item names make it that much more difficult (how am I supposed to know that a "P. Fish" is a poisonous fish or that a "C. Nut" is a coconut?) Of course, picking the game up after four years doesn't help either, as I've pretty well forgotten what's where and what any NPC has ever said. I have the issue of Nintendo Power that has a decent world map, though (better than the unlabeled in-game map), and I fully admit to using a FAQ pretty liberally. I got the items I needed, recovered Nina, and then used her new flying ability to collect a lot of optional stuff on the world map, though this will surely not be a "perfect file". Since I stopped playing near the end of the game, I don't think I'll have too much trouble doing the last few things to finish it off. It'll be nice if I can finally check this off as beaten.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 08-11-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thank you Cornelius and Aussie2B

Still on a quest I never was able to finish for my Dad.
    Finding games that were similar to his two favorite games BOSCONIAN and Demon Attack..

anytine I hear of those games I will think of my Dad..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

I beat Breath of Fire on GBA, getting both the good and bad endings (turns out the dragon form required for the good ending was greyed out not because I missed my chance to use it the first time but because it counts as fusing with the entire party, thus Karn can't already be fused with anybody). I was about to put my GBA SP away after that, but then I came down with a cold (I can't even remember the last time I got sick in August) and wanted something to play on my GBA while resting in bed. It would've been a good time to start up Final Fantasy Legend III, but considering I just polished off an RPG, even if most of my playing of it was years ago, I wanted something with more action. Since it was within easy reach, I decided to start up Kirby & the Amazing Mirror. I've cleared 25% of it so far, and it's been an interesting experience. I'm used to Kirby games being pretty straightforward, but this is a lot like a Metroid game with the nonlinear exploration. The map is a bit hard to make sense of, so I find myself wandering a lot. And even though I looked up the manual online and read through it, I'm still struggling to figure out which powers break through different types of blocks and how to get the AI-controlled Kirby clones to do what I want. I'm having fun with it, though, and it's nice to play through a Kirby for the first time since, I dunno, several years ago when I played Kirby 64?

I'm still playing Nightshade on PC too, and I'm up to Chapter 6 in Choujirou's route. I have no idea how many chapters a route has in this game, but it seems like the plot is really starting to pick up. Not that it wasn't already interesting before this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

My progress in Nightshade on PC has slowed, so even though I've played it more, I'm still in Chapter 6 of Choujirou's route.

I've mostly just been focusing on Kirby & the Amazing Mirror on my GBA SP. I'm up to 90%, and my progress here has slowed too because it's pretty time-consuming chasing down the last few treasures and rooms I've missed. What's frustrating is that the maps you're shown before you find the actual maps for each area are pretty useless, yet the actual maps are sometimes ridiculously well hidden themselves. Like, imagine doing a Zelda dungeon and the very last thing you find in it is the map, after you've already been to every room and found all the other treasures. Kinda defeats the purpose of a map, outside of confirming "Yep, got everything". Of the nine areas, there are three where it basically went like that for me. I still haven't figured out how to get the map in one of them, even after checking an online map telling me what room it's in. I also wish the treasures were a little more interesting. There are maps, life bar increases, paint to change Kirby's color, and music/effects for the sound test. That's it, minus the generic treasures of lives and food. This game is clearly based on The Great Cave Offensive in Kirby Super Star, which I'd probably say is my favorite of the games in Kirby Super Star, and I'll give this game credit for the treasures actually serving a practical use. But I liked how each treasure in The Great Cave Offensive was unique, and a lot were fun references to other Nintendo games. It's not as exciting here when it's like "Oh, another can of paint I'm not going to bother using anyway".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

I finished off Kirby & the Amazing Mirror on my GBA SP, doing everything except clearing the boss rush mode, but I still wanted something on a handheld to play. I don't feel like switching back to my primary memory card for my Vita just yet, and since I mainly want to use this small card for digital PS1/PSP games, I decided to finally start The Misadventures of Tron Bonne. I normally have no interest in PSOne Classic releases because I already have a big PS1 collection, and I always prefer to own a game physically when possible. But PS1 copies of Tron Bonne are so ridiculously expensive that I settled for the PSOne Classic release. Right away, I feel like I don't particularly like playing PS1 games on Vita. I have no problem playing digital PSP games on my Vita, since it's a similar form factor, but I feel like a game designed for a Dual Shock controller just doesn't work on Vita. Using the touchscreens for R2/L2 is meh at best, and the controls all around just never feel natural to me and end up making my hands hurt after a bit. So it's a bit of a shame that my experience with this game is a little gimped, but I'll still gladly put up with this versus spending $200 on a PS1 copy. I'm also a bit perplexed by the game itself. I don't even know what genre I'd say it falls in. It kind of feels like a hodgepodge of mini-games or something. Time on the ship feels like a Servbot-raising simulation, and I've so far done timed missions somewhat similar to the action in Mega Man Legends and others that are kind of like Sokoban puzzles. But all that aside, I'm really enjoying spending time in this world with these characters again. It also makes me wonder what it'd be like if Tail Concerto got a similar game from the perspective of the Black Cats Gang.

As for Nightshade on PC, I'm still chipping away at it, now on Chapter 7 in Choujirou's route.

Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

MAPPY

I have finally figured out how not to die so quick in this game lol...

MICROVISION
    Pinball
    I found 'another microvision unit at a flea market third one this year but by the same seller,this unit in box works perfectly ..

Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

BOSCONIAN

Space Panic ..I have No idea how to play this game...lol

Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Heavy Barrel ...

Nitro Ball..
    An unusual Game I never heard of..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

I've barely had time for gaming this past month. I haven't touched Nightshade on PC since clearing Choujirou's route, not even to get his other ending (at least I assume there's an alternate ending). I'm squeezing in The Misadventures of Tron Bonne on my Vita when I can. I expected it to be a quick one, but with only sporadic short bursts of playing, it's getting stretched out. I've cleared all of the puzzle levels and two each of the action and RPG stages, but I've yet to touch the free mode. Sometimes I haven't had time for a stage, so I'd just turn it on for some servbot training. I very briefly tried out Punch Line on Vita, and I did the same with Wave Race and Densetsu no Starfy 2 on my Game Boy Advance SP. I think that about covers everything I've played since early September.

Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

More 'Rolling Thunder' ...I am so terrible at this game....

Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Dreamcast : TNT Hardcore Heat..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Still little time for gaming, but I did clear a tiny bit more in The Misadventures of Tron Bonne on my Vita. I finished the third RPG stage, and with that, I also hit one million zenny and got a fairly lengthy cutscene (for this game, at least). I also tried out a handful of Limited Run Games releases that finally arrived: Super Hydorah, Va-11 Hall-A, Xenon Valkyrie+, and 2064: Read Only Memories. I still haven't tested most of the imports I've picked up recently, but I did pop in Phantasy Star Nova.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to come to the conclusion that The Misadventures of Tron Bonne is pretty overrated. I don't think it would get nearly as much praise if it weren't rare and expensive on PS1 and if it weren't a part of the Mega Man Legends sub-series. I love both Mega Man Legends and Mega Man Legends 2, and I had been looking forward to this spin-off for a long time, saving it for when I really wanted to treat myself. I wasn't expecting it to play like the main games, but I was hoping to enjoy it on a similar level. One of the things I love about the MML games is the world and its characters, with Tron Bonne and her servbots being among my favorites. And I am enjoying the graphics, story, and voice acting of this game, but gameplay-wise, it's a jack of all trades, doing nothing that well. Some games can combines multiple modes that aren't exceptional and end up being greater than the sum of their parts, like ActRaiser, but it ain't working here.

I think the worst thing about the game is how it's so piss-poor at explaining anything. I've read the manual, cleared the opening tutorial, pressed O to see menu descriptions, appraised items, everything the game has to offer, and the whole game has still basically been a matter of doing things blindly, trying to figure out how and why I'm supposed to do things. Scouting still feels random, the first training game is basically impossible until you figure out you can take out two targets at a time, and the second training game is practically impossible on the highest difficulty level unless you repeatedly pause to "cheat". The action stages aren't clear about what can and can't be destroyed, and it's annoying how some enemies just keep regenerating endlessly, while also sometimes moving so fast and/or being so high up that you just have to tediously run and spin the camera wildly to avoid taking hits and hope you land a hit of your own now and then. The character interaction in the RPG stages was fun, but they were otherwise bland and plodding. And I hate how they're in first-person. And the puzzles stages, ugh. I've had enough of Sokoban-style gameplay in Boxxle, and at least Boxxle had the decency to save your progress after each level. You gotta clear three in a row here, with each getting harder than the last. When a new area opened up with more puzzles, I tried to tackle the first set, thinking it'd be quick at level 1, but after around an hour of playing, I had to just quit and go to bed, throwing away all the time I spent figuring out and solving the first two in the set. I didn't even know you could use the Beacon Bomb in the puzzle stages until I started this set. The servbot was basically useless in the first puzzle area. So I adjusted to using the forklift to take the crates of goods, but on the third puzzle of the set, I was just going nuts with it, saying "this is impossible" to myself as I tried over and over. And after I skimmed an FAQ, I think the way I was trying to do it was impossible. It turns out you can use the Beacon Bomb even while holding a crate yourself. I know some would just blame me for not experimenting more, but geez, is it too much to ask for this game to explain anything important? There's even a "hints" option in the puzzle stages, which would be the perfect time to point out stuff like that, but instead it gives completely worthless, obvious info (telling me to lift 4 steel crates and 1 wooden box when I already know I get only 5 lifts, and wooden boxes are always there for a reason). Anyway, given that I have precious little gaming time lately, it was a pretty damn frustrating experience. It felt like a total waste, between the lack of making any progress in the game and the repeated attempts very quickly becoming a chore that wasn't any fun. I don't mind a challenge, but I don't want challenge to come from bad design or inadequate teaching of a game's mechanics. I really expected better of this game, but the whole thing feels half-baked.