Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd love to play Exist Archive, but I don't have a PS4. I can't even get my son Plants vs Zombies GW2 cause they're giving PS3 owners no love. Same with Song of the Deep. I don't want to buy another console. I'm just missing out this generation, except for Wii U titles. I was going to sit this whole gen out, but Nintendo just HAD to make Mario Kart 8!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Good to hear folks are still having fun here, even if the wins aren't rolling in. If anyone does take their first go at Valkyrie Profile this month, I think they'll be in for a real treat. Its battles can be extremely satisfying.

Az, I like the suggestion of more modern games for another co-op challenge. I'll have to dig deep and find a few with active servers that a short enough to be worth taking on in a weekly challenge. I have a couple of ideas brewing.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Song of the Deep is a FANTASTIC game, one of the best game experiences I've had this console generation. Great graphics, wonderful sound, fairy-tale atmosphere, and the Metroid-like game design draws you in. It is puzzle-heavy, but the fights and the rewards which come with them are very well done. This is probably the best underwater game I've ever played. Stay with the game, it is a very rewarding and great experience.

However, Valkyrie Profile is an absolute masterpiece! A wonderful game by tri-Ace, if you haven't played it yet and you are just halfway interested in RPGs, give this one a shot. Just recently I enjoyed Exist Archive (a spiritual successor of Valkyrie Profile for the PS4) to no end. Valkyrie Profile is one of the best RPGs I've played, well recognized in the meantime but still underrated in my opinion.
    Song of the Deep is INCREDIBLE so far. I went into it thinking it would be a 'meh' Wii'esque indie game. I bought it NEW for $9.99 at Game Stop, and was told there was a POP figure of the games protagonist available for just $5.00 by an employee who praised the game. I like game themed POPs, and the figure was super cute, as she came in her little submarine, so I walked out with a new copy of the game and the POP for just $15 bucks.

That was about a month ago or so. I just got around to playing it a few days ago, and it's AMAZING. I had no idea it was an endearing, gorgeous, Metroidvania style adventure gaming. The game is absolutely beautiful, the play mechanics and puzzles are excellent, the story is straight forward and whimsical, and the illustrations and narration are just great. I could listen to the narrators voice for hours and never get tired of it.

FOLKS, DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS CHEAP, AWESOME GAME.

I haven't played many games this generation, but this is definitely my favorite current gen gaming experience thus far.

With that said, it seems I own a copy of Valkyrie Profile. I doubt I'll complete another RPG for the Challenge before the year's up, but it doesn't mean I won't start any. I'll give VP a shot when I have a little extra time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merryn.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	10348  

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    -Player's choice: pick any game you've never played before.
    I finally got a point. I played and finished Bard's Gold on the PS4 today.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Talking

He's on the board!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Az, I like the suggestion of more modern games for another co-op challenge. I'll have to dig deep and find a few with active servers that a short enough to be worth taking on in a weekly challenge. I have a couple of ideas brewing.
    Undoubtedly there's tons, but when I mentioned that I was thinking about the 360 Sega Vintage collections for Golden Axe and Streets of Rage. Plus there's Final Fight: Double Impact and some mostly delisted stuff like the Konami beat 'em ups and Double Dragon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Week 31 - Kenseiden Completed

Well, I'm finally back on the board after a 2 month hiatus.

Playing through Kenseiden again after so many years was bitter sweet. It was way shorter than I remembered it being before. I think it's because I'm MUCH better at the challenge stages now and can beat them after only a few tries. It was awesome because I love short games, but I played through it on the Retron5, and it's one of the MANY Master System games that has butchered sound.

It looked amazing thanks to the Retron5's HDMI, but man, the music was way off. It's not as terrible as Fantasy Zone II (which sucks so bad, because it's one of my absolute favorite games, and I LOVE the music), but it's still way off.

I don't think I'll finish Song of the Deep in time, and I don't want to, because I don't want this game to end anytime soon (it's awesome!), so I'll try to tackle something else short and new (to me) in the next day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 32

Welcome to the scoreboard kupomogli, and welcome back Megas! Good to see a few plays trickle in. Anyhow, new week...
    -Blazing Lazers/Gunhed (TG16)

-Magical Drop III (Neo Geo, Wii, Saturn, etc)

-Player's choice: pick a game with poop in it. Examples might include Toilet Kids, Air Zonk, JJ & Jeff, etc.

-August RPG is still Valkyrie Profile. There is still time to prepare for Ragnarok!

-Import Alternative: Hino Tori (Famicom)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I played a little Song of the Deep Monday night since I didn't get a chance to game on *Sunday, and had no idea I would end it that night. I know it was after the deadline, but I wouldn't complain if I got a point for it anyway.

Excellent game, BTW. For just $10 I can't praise it enough.

*Nephew's birthday in the park Sunday. His crazed, drug adled psycho father showed up and started preaching to children he doesn't even know about 'the Lord' and inviting a random, pissy drunk homeless guy he saw wondering around to join the party. Then, for reasons unknown, he starts crying like a MAD MAN, freaking everyone in attendance out...good times!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 33

Well, I'm beat. I can barely keep my eyes open as I type this on my phone in bed. Rough week. Aaaanyhow... new stuff to try, anyone?

-The Legend of Kage 2 (DS)

-Splatterhouse (TG16, Arcade, PS3)

-Player's Choice: pick a game where you pilot an airplane. Examples might include Air Combat, Top Gun, Afterburner, Captain Skyhawk, Fire Shark, Steel Empire, Skygunner, etc.

-August RPG is still Valkyrie Profile. Looks like a whiff. Great game, though.

-Import Alternative: Psycho Soldier (PSP, Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Week 33 Player's Choice - Robotech: The Macross Saga (GBA)

I'm assuming Valkyries count as 'planes'. If it's a grey area, Rick Hunter's racer (which I'd already had unlocked) is definitely an airplane, even though it's explicable capable of space flight in one episode of the show, and throughout this game. In any event, man, what a shitty use of the Robotech License this game was! I wouldn't expect anything better from Harmony Gold though, even though Robotech: Battlecry was surprisingly decent.

I'll tackle Legend of Kage 2 this week, though I'm going to be out of town and without a DS for after the 24th, so that only give me the next couple days. I've never played it, or the NES original, so I'm not sure what to expect.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 08-21-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Oh a reason to play ace combat 3 again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I'm assuming Valkyries count as 'planes'. If it's a grey area, Rick Hunter's racer (which I'd already has unlocked) is definitely an airplane, even though it's in explicable capable of space flight in one episode of the show, and through out this game. In any event, man, what a shitty use of the Robotech License this game was. I wouldn't expect anything better from Harmony Gold though, even though Robotech: Battlecry was surprisingly decent.

I'll tackle Legend of Kage 2 this week, though I'm going to be out of town and without a DS for after the 24th, so that only give me the next couple days. I've never played it, or the NES original, so I'm not sure what to expect.
    Yeah, I'll count a Veritech Fighter. Been playing Macross 2036 on PCE CD myself. Awesome game. Wonder if anyone'll hit UN Squadron?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Finished Aero Fighters 2 for the Player's Choice. Didn't get the ending but here's the high score.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/brcg17kdr00f4c0/af2.jpg?dl=0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 34

Nice wins on the airplane games last week! I finally have a week off of work, so lots of good stuff to do this week. Hosting another tournament next Saturday, so this week's games are straight out of that pool!

-Vertical Force (Virtual Boy)

-Revenge of the Ninja/Ninja Hayate (Sega CD, Saturn, PS1)

-Player's choice: pick a game that can be beaten, but still has a high score table.

-August is winding down, and Valkyrie Profile goes unmolested. Next month will be a more approachable, shorter game for the RPG.

-Import Alternative: Twinkle Star Sprites: La Petite Princesse (PS2)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Went with a quick one and finished Marble Madness (NES) for the Player's Choice. Took more attempts than I care to admit, heh.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gflvvztx4ds0wqr/mmd1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v377uvwf77y7g8l/mmd2.jpg?dl=0

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I started in on Valkyrie Profile, even after the whole ps3 memory card saving snafu. Didn't get far enough in to have much an opinion, but I'd like to continue with it. I somehow got pneumonia, though, and didn't even feel like playing games for a couple weeks.

Back on my feet, though, and took a preliminary stab at Vertical Force last night. Then this evening I set up the VB properly at a table and knocked it out much faster than expected. It's funny how you can play a game like shit one night and then breeze along the next. This game is really solid. Pretty standard shmup, but makes use of the 3D effect without trying too hard and ruining everything. I played easy mode and it really is pretty easy, although the difficulty stepped up too much for me to enjoy harder modes very much.

This is one where it is pretty hard to get an 'end' screenshot:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

jperryss-man, I've never finished that one. I've always felt clumsy playing Marble Madness. I need to try it again soon!

Cornelius-awesome! I'm glad you gave Vertical Force a beating. It has a very classic Star Soldier feel to me, and while a bit bare bones, I do like its stages and their use of layers to make you avoid obstacles and the like. Definitely one of my favorites on the Virtual Boy!

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For player's choice, I did RoadBlasters (NES).

That score is actually 1,812,609. One of these days, I'm going to get that score counter to rollover twice.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 35

Well, big day yesterday around here, with another tournament in the books! Some killer moments there, so some of the games that went over big this week.

-Ruiner Pinball (score high enough to get the "GREAT SCORE" message on either table) (Jaguar)

-Robotron 64 (Nintendo 64)

-Player's choice: pick a game published by Data East

-Import Alternative: Money Puzzle Exchanger (Arcade, PS1, Game Boy)

-September RPG: I'm a couple days late posting this, but this month's RPG will be your choice of Beyond Oasis or Legend of Oasis for Genesis and Saturn respectively. Both are wonderful games, and Beyond Oasis is on many of the Genesis compilations out there. Give one a whirl!