Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yo Noid complete. I remember this game being more fun when I was younger, lol!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Giga Wing (Arcade)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gwing.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	10320

Damn this game is awesome. The reflect mechanism is perfectly done and it's incredibly fun when you execute it well. I burned through a few credits on the final boss but the scoring is bonkers and I had a high score of 38 trillion points on my best run. This was a great recommendation.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    Giga Wing (Arcade)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gwing.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	10320

Damn this game is awesome. The reflect mechanism is perfectly done and it's incredibly fun when you execute it well. I burned through a few credits on the final boss but the scoring is bonkers and I had a high score of 38 trillion points on my best run. This was a great recommendation.
    Glad you liked it! When Giga Wing launched on Dreamcast, it was the game that really got me back into the shooter scene after years of heavy RPG play. I love Capcom on the Dreamcast, and Giga Wing always makes me smile to think back on. That last boss is nuts unless you hoard bombs without dying pretty much the whole game, but I do love the reflect mechanic. I usually played as the red plane with the concentrated forward shot. Powered up, it could really tear through bosses!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 27

Sorry for the late post here; work has been in the way. So, new week, new games!

-Elevator Action Returns (PS2, Saturn, Arcade)

-Battle of Olympus (NES)

-Player's Choice: pick a game with a fast food tie-in. This can include in-game billboards, characters, etc. from fast food restaurants. Examples might include TMNT II (NES version), McDonald's Treasure Island, Mick & Mack: Global Gladiators, Sneak King, McKids, Crazy Taxi, Big Bumpin', etc.

-NEW RPG FOR JULY: Something a bit shorter this month, as the last two months haven't had a ton of takers. Let's go with Dragon View (SNES). It's fun. Somebody take this one down!

-Import Alternative: Border Down (Dreamcast)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I haven't been participating in the challenge lately because my Samsung finally gave up the ghost. Well, technically it's ability to display HDMI did, and I use my Retron5 almost exclusively for my retro gaming. The screen flickers, then the television cycles on and off and then goes berserk. I plan on replacing it with something cheap from a Forth of July sale, at least temporarily until I resource a quality 4K set.

I've just been playing on my Switch in the downtime, but I miss my retro games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Ah, that sucks! Hope you find something good to play on soon. I still haven't taken the dive on a Switch yet. I keep passing on new consoles for more arcade boards... but then again, I'll likely get more fun out of those anyway.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I played through two titles I had forgot to comment about earlier. I hadn't had a chance to sit down in front of the computer and I'd rather eat a platter of shit than type a paragraph on my phone's keypad.

For Darkstalkers I played through Darkstarker's Resurrection (360), both Nightwarriors and Vampire Savior. I never really bothered to play the arcade versions of either even though they're easily emulated. I've got the Saturn ports of both, played them very little at their respective launches and never bothered to learn the mechanics or characters. This time I actually viewed move lists and learned the system so I could give it a fair handshake.

Apparently the series just isn't for me. I will easily admit they're both excellent games and won't knock anyone with love for 'em, but it just doesn't do it for me. I love having monsters as characters but the goofball humor is about 10 levels above my World Heroes threshold. Main thing I have against it is the character attacks: everyone's normal attacks seem to be some weird, unexpected off-the-wall shit set up so that not only do you have to know everything about your own character you have to know everything about *every* character. For instance: jab might be fist punch, short makes some shit fly out of your ass, and fierce is a crouching attack that hits high because your fists turn into spinning medieval maces complete with 500 frames of Disney-like animation.

For the possessive noun game I played Fighter's History (SNES). I've played a lot of Dynamite on MVS but never have played the original arcade version. I never once saw a cab in person and it wasn't emulated in MAME until recently.

I think this is a really fantastic, underappreciated game that's too often blown off as an SFII imitator or as a joke due to the Capcom lawsuit. As a port, it's perfectly solid by adding speed adjustment, additional modes, and making the final two bosses completely fleshed-out playable characters with full move sets and endings. The characters may be a bit generic and most don't have that instant "holy shit this guy looks badass and I want to play as him NOW" thing happening, but the actual game itself is 100% solid. The music, sounds, character sprites, backgrounds, controls, the whole package is functional. It won't make you shit your pants or run out to buy the OST but it's definitely not *bad*. For the SNES: definitely better than any console exclusive, or the majority of the SNK ports, or arguably MK3-UMK3 depending on your tastes.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played through Elevator Action Returns. Not a bad game. I may go back to it and try to beat it without continues.

I also played through Battle of Olympus. I didn't really like it. It felt like a cheap mix of Zelda II and Castlevania II, with the frustrating aspects of Ninja Gaiden thrown in.

I may give McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure a try this weekend.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I haven't been participating in the challenge lately because my Samsung finally gave up the ghost. Well, technically it's ability to display HDMI did, and I use my Retron5 almost exclusively for my retro gaming. The screen flickers, then the television cycles on and off and then goes berserk. I plan on replacing it with something cheap from a Forth of July sale, at least temporarily until I resource a quality 4K set.

I've just been playing on my Switch in the downtime, but I miss my retro games.
    could you use your computer monitor?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 28

Well, a slow week so far, but jperryss has put up some points, Megas and Cornelius are getting back around, and Az and Scissors jumped back in, so that's good stuff. As for this week...

-Legendary Axe II (TG16)

-Starfighter Sanvein (PS1)

-Player's choice: pick a game with the word "captain" in the title. Examples might include Captain Commando, Captain Silver, Captain Skyhawk, Captain America and the Avengers, Captain Novolin, Captain Planet, etc.

-July RPG challenge: Dragon View (SNES)

-Import alternative: Bastard! (SFC)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    could you use your computer monitor?
    I just have an ancient laptop. I did order a cheap 4K TV that should be in by Tuesday, so OF COURSE my old one has been working flawlessly since I purchased a new one. It's some bizarre variant of Murphy's Law. I know if I try to game though, the instant I get into a game it's going to take a piss right in the middle of it, just to fuck with my blood pressure.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played through McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure for player's choice. While I really don't like Ronald McDonald, it's actually not a bad game.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played through Starfighter Sanvein a few times. I managed to beat it using only one continue, which I'm pretty sure I've never done before. I like the game, but it's repetitive, so I don't think I'll be trying again to finish without continues this week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    I played through Starfighter Sanvein a few times. I managed to beat it using only one continue, which I'm pretty sure I've never done before. I like the game, but it's repetitive, so I don't think I'll be trying again to finish without continues this week.
    Glad you tried it! I don't think many people ever gave it a whirl.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 29

My job is killing me right now. Anyway, to be quick, here's the new games:

-Gradius V (PS2)

-Moto Roader (TG16)

-Player's Choice: pick any game that uses a light gun to play the game, even if only certain stages. Examples might include Virtua Cop, Point Blank, Snatcher, Mad Dog McCree, Space Pirates, The Adventures of Bayou Billy, Gotcha!, House of the Dead 2, etc.

-The RPG for July is still hanging out there, untouched and unloved. Dragon View for SNES.

-Import Alternative: X: The Selection of the Destiny (PS1)

Also, start looking for a co-op partner. In two weeks, a special all co-op edition will be happening. Online play through emulation will count. Get ready!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yikes, it doesn't look like there will be any participation for week 29. I passed on this week since I'm not crazy about light gun games and I didn't have any of the others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 30

Yep, slow week. Anyway, new games:

-Dungeon Magic (Arcade/PS2)

-Under Night: In-Birth exe:late (PS3)

-Player's Choice: pick a game with the word "time" in the title. Examples might include Time Soldiers, Time Killers, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Killing Time, etc.

-July RPG is still Dragon View. The world is missing out.

-Import Alternative: Bokan to Ippatsu: Doronbo (PS1)
    Last edited by celerystalker; 07-23-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's the import alternative?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have a crt at the moment so a cheap Hogan's Alley win was out. I also was unable to beat Gradius V thanks to fighting this Death Flu I contracted, lol. I'll have to find a good "time" game for this week. Illusion of Time comes to mind, but I don't have rpg "time" to invest. Something else will occur to me...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    What's the import alternative?
    Sorry, I was interrupted while posting by my son. Fixed now.