Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I beat Chiki Chiki Boys this morning. I didn't get the good ending though.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    I beat Chiki Chiki Boys this morning. I didn't get the good ending though.
    That's ok. Good ending not required on that one. I just figured it's a pretty fun little game, and the good ending would give it some legs for people who end up digging it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    That's ok. Good ending not required on that one. I just figured it's a pretty fun little game, and the good ending would give it some legs for people who end up digging it.
    It is a pretty good game. So good, I decided to play it again and got the good ending.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    It is a pretty good game. So good, I decided to play it again and got the good ending.
    Nice! I bought that one in the '90s not knowing what it was, but thinking it was a funny title. I've been a fan ever since!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Normally I'dve posted earlier, but I fell asleep way early after working about 75 hours this week and being awake for about 2 days straight, so sorry about that. Anyhow, new games!

-Astal (Saturn)
    Heck yes! My first Saturn game, and still one of my favorites. Though interestingly, I've only beaten it a handful of times. I don't think this will be a zero hour run through. I'll actually have dedicate some time to tackling this one.

Man, I LOVE music in that game. Especially the synth heavy track that plays during the cloud stage, and that awesome, new agey, 80's electric guitar ballad in the crystal palace stage just after it.

Say, does anyone know if all copies of this game have a blank spine? It's the only Saturn game I've seen that does have the title on the side of the case. Was this an error, or what?
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 03-26-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Heck yes! My first Saturn game, and still one of my favorites. Though interestingly, I've only beaten it a handful of times. I don't think this will be a zero hour run through. I'll actually have dedicate some time to tackling this one.

Man, I LOVE movie in that game. Especially the synth heavy track that plays during the cloud stage, and that awesome, new agey, 80's electric guitar ballad in the crystal palace stage just after it.

Say, does anyone know if all copies of this game have a blank spine? It's the only Saturn game I've seen that does have the title on the side of the case. Was this an error, or what?
    Yep, all copies of Astal have a blank spine for the US version. It's one of those great games that was $5 for a good 15 or so years before it caught on, and now it's pricey. So good, though.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question: is it acceptable to use the romanized title of a Japan only game for the player's choice? An example (although not necessarily the game I would pick) is Ultraman Club: Chikyuu Dakkan Sakusen
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    Question: is it acceptable to use the romanized title of a Japan only game for the player's choice? An example (although not necessarily the game I would pick) is Ultraman Club: Chikyuu Dakkan Sakusen
    I'm gonna say yes on that, so long as the romanization is either official (printed on the case or in the manual/packaging/game) or from a reputable source (using the honor system there).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

This MIGHT be the first week that I can sweep all three challenges. Knock on wood.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm gonna say yes on that, so long as the romanization is either official (printed on the case or in the manual/packaging/game) or from a reputable source (using the honor system there).
    Would the file names of a ROM set count as a reputable source?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Would the file names of a ROM set count as a reputable source?
    I'd just say type it into Google. If you get a ton of results, roll with it. What drives me nuts is when a game's title is clearly romanized on the packaging or game and in the game, but people decide to spell it wrong in spite of this. For instance, Shi Kin Jyo on Famicom. People always spell it Shikinjou, though it is right there on the cart. Same with Robot Poncots 64. It's spelled that way right in the manual in giant letters, but people only spell it Robot Ponkottsu.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd just say type it into Google. If you get a ton of results, roll with it. What drives me nuts is when a game's title is clearly romanized on the packaging or game and in the game, but people decide to spell it wrong in spite of this. For instance, Shi Kin Jyo on Famicom. People always spell it Shikinjou, though it is right there on the cart. Same with Robot Poncots 64. It's spelled that way right in the manual in giant letters, but people only spell it Robot Ponkottsu.
    Interesting that people would choose to use their own romanization over the official one. Anyway, onto my player's choice victory.

While looking through the Famicom Disk System games I noticed that there are a number of interesting unlicensed games and decided that I should play one of these for research purposes. The game I chose is Comic Sakka Series Touma Senki 2 - Mermaid no Gyakushuu. For research, of course.

I'm not quite sure what the story is, but it involves getting in a ship and shooting aliens. There are four stages plus one final boss fight. The stages are all brief but fun for the short amount of time it lasts. At the end of each stage is a boss fight.

After successfully clearing a stage you receive encouragement from the mermaid to finish fighting for whatever it is that your supposed to be fighting for.

After clearing the four stages you have to fight the final boss. After doing so the game is over and I guess the mermaid chick is all yours.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Japanese publishers are notorious for having a poor grasp on English, or even the Roman alphabet, and screwing up their own titles when transliterating, or being totally inconsistent with their transliterations from one product to the next, so that's why people tend to be pretty dismissive of questionable transliterations even when they're in an official product. I mean, they even screw up their own company names. tri-Ace spelled their company name as "try-Ace" on Star Ocean, and Natsume spelled their name as "Natume" in Harvest Moon 64. I guess some people may argue then that Star Ocean should be considered a "try-Ace" game and Harvest Moon 64 a "Natume" game, because that's what they say, but I just see those as mistakes.

The Robopon series has a number of games, so I'd be curious if they actually consistently use the "Poncots" spelling across the whole franchise, or if it was only in the Robopon 64 manual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

What, no tentacles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I was going to post what Aussie2B did, more or less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

It's true that localization is imperfect, which is why I'm not putting a hard stance on romanized titles here. Just something that drives me a little nutty, mainly when a company prominently puts out there what they want a game's title to look like. I'm no authority on what proper romanization looks like. I just don't care for how some segments of the gaming community out there change things to what they want it to be, ignoring what the creators want it to be.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. Just my own preference to leave things as they are. I can say, though, that in the two cases I mentioned, they are intentional spellings. Robot Poncots even had a manga that spelled it that way. I don't care about typos, but what seems to be intentional stylistic choices, like the band the Beatles... I wouldn't correct that as a mis-spelling. However, if they accidentally spelled it "Betles" on one cover, then, yeah, it'd need correcting.

Edit: For the record, I'm perfectly willing to accept being the weirdo on this one. We all have our foibles. For instance, the color orange makes me kind of irritable to be around too much. When I bought my Japanese Dreamcast in 1999, the box went under my bed so I wouldn't have to look at it until I moved out of the place. It's dumb, but not much I can do about it.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 03-28-2017 at 06:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What, no tentacles?
    Apparently not, but I'm sure with a little more research I can find something that does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Apparently not, but I'm sure with a little more research I can find something that does.
    I don't doubt it in the slightest. For every Gradius or R-Type, there's a Divine Sealing or Steam Heart's...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-Any game in the Lolo franchise
    Does Eggerland count?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in