Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've only got 1 of the statues so far, but I haven't put that much time into it yet. I'm enjoying it so far, but this game has one really annoying thing about it. The game has a tendency to close dialog boxes as soon as you tap something when you didn't realize that one was even going to open. I've missed a lot of one shot dialog boxes, and several of the first box of many exchanges.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I've only got 1 of the statues so far, but I haven't put that much time into it yet. I'm enjoying it so far, but this game has one really annoying thing about it. The game has a tendency to close dialog boxes as soon as you tap something when you didn't realize that one was even going to open. I've missed a lot of one shot dialog boxes, and several of the first box of many exchanges.
    I was annoyed by that as well, but at this point don't really feel like I missed anything.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Think I'm making some progress in Gaia. Up to the pyramid with 4 or 5 of the statues. This the only game in the trilogy I never beat for whatever reason.
    You're getting close! I think it's my favorite of the three, though I did really get into my last playthrough of SoulBlazer. They're all good shit.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IoG is done. That was shorter than I expected.

Edit. I also accomplished the major feat of finishing Snow White and the 7 Dwarves on GBC for players choice. That was a fucking tough one there, I tell ya. I'm starting to get a kick out of pure licensed garbage on handhelds.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by FieryReign; 02-22-2017 at 02:03 AM.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kabuki Quantum Fighter completed! My first attempt ended in failure at the final boss. I 1CC'd it on my second attempt, although I nearly cleared the game with no deaths. The final boss killed me with only one hit left.

The imagery in this game is crazy.

IT'S BEEN SIXTEEN YEARS! WHERE ARE YOU?
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

You need to resize those pics! Chrome crashes on me as soon as I scroll down to your post (I assume it's the pics).

Also, just started playing this one today. What a cool game! Looks and feels very NES Batman-ish.
    Last edited by jperryss; 02-22-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Glad to see Kabuki Quantum Fighter is new to a few folks! I think it's pretty underrated.

Scissors-Metal Storm rules. Up until a few yeas ago, that was one of the best under the radar games out there... now it costs a lot... Good luck clearing Granstream! I've never dug it like I do the SNES trilogy, but I hope you have fun with it!
    I beat Kabuki Quantum Fighter today. Pretty good game. Too bad it's so short.

Yup, Metal Storm went unappreciated for a really long time. I'm glad I got mine before it got hyped up.

I'm not crazy about Granstream Saga so far. I'll probably give it a few more tries though. I had already played Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia, which is why I asked if I could play it instead. While I have Tenchi Souzo, I had tried playing it a few months ago and found the Japanese to be a bit too difficult for me.

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Just a question for the future... how do you all feel about the inclusion of an english-friendly import here or there? I'm mainly trying to choose stuff that's fairly common and accessible so far, so as to make it possible for the maximum number of participants. Thoughts?
    I wouldn't mind an occasional import. If you make it an option, I think it should take the place of one of the main games of the week, not the player's choice game.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    I beat Kabuki Quantum Fighter today. Pretty good game. Too bad it's so short.

Yup, Metal Storm went unappreciated for a really long time. I'm glad I got mine before it got hyped up.
    Of all the games I've discovered so far during this 2017 challenge, KQF has been my favorite and I can't believe I'd barely heard of it before now. The graphics and level design feel like a Ninja Gaiden game of the era (specifically NG2 with the waterfalls and boomerang enemies in stage 2, as well as the cutscenes) with more of a Castlevania color palette. The stages are short and the imagery is pretty crazy as you mentioned. I made it to stage 4 last night (stage 3 took me a few tries) and hope to continue tonight.

Metal Storm is another underrated gem. The second loop gets brutally difficult at times (lots of trial and error) and there are segments where I'm pretty sure there is only one exact route to take to get through, much like the later levels in R-Type (another Irem game).
    Last edited by jperryss; 02-23-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Glad to see some love for Kabuki Quantum Fighter! I bought it as a kid with a combination of birthday money and money from wrapping newspapers on weekends, and I've been a big fan ever since. Nobody seems too keen on trying it out amongst my friends around here, but the few who have all ended up buying it afterward. It's just a cool combination of weird-ass imagery and concepts with rock solid action.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

KQF is too frustrating for me. I take cheap hits left and right. The bosses are all spazzy and move at hyperspeed.

Knife Edge has emulation issues for what I have. It runs at like twice the normal speed. Unless it's supposed to be that fast? I always thought this was some kinda helicopter sim, it's a rail shooter.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Kabuki Quantum Fighter completed

Not much to say that I didn't already mention in my earlier posts, but I had a lot of fun with this one and had a hard time putting it down, which doesn't happen to me with too many games anymore. There were some annoying cheap hits in a few places (particularly the bosses) but not much worse than many NES games of the era, especially the Ninja Gaiden games that influenced it. The stage 5 and final boss (another definite nod to NG) were both a bit of a pushover compared to the earlier bosses. I'd say the tricky platforming sections, especially the vertical ones that require precise swinging between floating platforms, were the most challenging and frustrating part of the game for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

KQF is too frustrating for me. I take cheap hits left and right. The bosses are all spazzy and move at hyperspeed.

Knife Edge has emulation issues for what I have. It runs at like twice the normal speed. Unless it's supposed to be that fast? I always thought this was some kinda helicopter sim, it's a rail shooter.
    It's not particularly fast on a cart, so you're likely correct about it beinv a weird emulation issue.

It being a rail shooter is actually why I put it on this week, as I don't think most folks are familiar with it. There are better rail shooters out there, but on N64, which lacks variety in its action games, it's a fun diversion that's still, like, five bucks and has some arcade-ish play, even if it does kinda look like it could've been done handily on Jaguar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 9

Lots of wins on Kabuki Quantum Fighter this week, and only FieryReign looks to have attempted Knife Edge... but I still appreciate a good rail shooter. Anyhow, a day yet to go for week 8, but week 9 games go up now. After all, I'll likely either fall asleep or be engulfed in my newly repaired GI Joe arcade board that's currently occupying my Sunset Riders cabinet for 4 player goodness. Thanks to dbstallman on KLOV for the repair job!!! So, anyhow, new games:

-Pick a game from the Ray-series of shooters. These include RayForce/Galactic Attack/Layer Section (Arcade, Saturn, PS1), RayStorm/Layer Section II (same systems), and RayCrisis (Arcade, PS1). I prefer Galactic Attack, in case anyone wondered.

-Ranger X/EX Ranza (Genesis)

-Player's choice: pick any non-fighting game with a female lead character. This includes equal booking, like Top Hunter, where you can be Roddy or Cathy. Examples might include Shantae, Metroid, Wendy: Every Witch Way, Hi Hi Puffy Amy Yumi, Bishoujou Senshi Sailor Moon, etc.

-just a few days left to finish a Heaven and Earth game! New RPG goes up on the first.

I'll post current standings tomorrow evening. Good luck!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I beat Red Alarm for player's choice today.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gave KQF one last shot and came to the same conclusion. The stage 3 boss is bullshit. Complete bullshit. The game has some crackin music but those vertical stages and boss patterns can go fuck themselves.

I'm calling bullshit on whoever 1ccd this on their 2nd try. That simply ain't happening unless you know the game.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gave KQF one last shot and came to the same conclusion. The stage 3 boss is bullshit. Complete bullshit. The game has some crackin music but those vertical stages and boss patterns can go fuck themselves.

I'm calling bullshit on whoever 1ccd this on their 2nd try. That simply ain't happening unless you know the game.
    The round three boss isn't that hard. Jump or duck when he is flying around and position yourself so that you are near him when he lands so that you can hit and run before he spits. The vertical stages require patience and good timing, otherwise you will end up playing an itsy bitsy spider simulator.

Also, while I am not extensively familiar with the game, this isn't my first rodeo.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

That was my sticking point when I first got the game when I was younger. It seems easy now to me, but it was insanely frustrating to me back then. Once I cleared stage 3, though, everything fell into place, and I now the game is an easy clear for me... it just wasn't always that way.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Urgh, KQF completed...

I beat Kabuki Quantom Fighter at the zero hour, and all I can say is...

FUCK THAT GAME.

Seriously, it was one of the most frustrating gaming experiences I've had in a LONG time. There's probably a great little game buried under all the horribly clunky controls. I went in with somewhat high expectations, but the controls ruined this game for me, which is a shame because this game is otherwise totally up my alley. I even have a thing about Renjishi characters, so I was really excited for this one.

In fairness, maybe it was the stress of having to beat it in a few hours that soured me on it, but the unforgiving platforming and terrible reach of your main weapon had me tearing my hair out the whole while. BTW, the level 2 boss fight was probably where I spent the most time. Also, it's a darn good thing I had a manual for this game (and read it) because if I didn't know about transferring energy for chips and verse versa during boss fights, I'd have NEVER beaten this game.

I'm glad to have this one behind me now.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Default Golden Axe Warrior completed

Golden Axe Warrior has been on my must play list for a very long time. It is almost a great game, but being a copy of Zelda, I can't help compare the two and GAW comes up well short. The biggest issue is only having one attack button. The SMS really needed a start button on the controller. Only other real complaint was the boss fights. For many of them you can just stand in one place. That's the cheap way out, but it really shouldn't have been allowed.

This game was overly ambitious of me to tackle in just a week, but it is one I'm happy to have played and scratched off the list after so long.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    The round three boss isn't that hard. Jump or duck when he is flying around and position yourself so that you are near him when he lands so that you can hit and run before he spits. The vertical stages require patience and good timing, otherwise you will end up playing an itsy bitsy spider simulator.

Also, while I am not extensively familiar with the game, this isn't my first rodeo.
    Yeah, that was the plan. But he never stops on the side of the screen where you are. He'll just keep going back and forth.