Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I Played through Wolf Fang on PlayStation. Overall, I wasn't crazy about it. It seemed weird that I could shoot my weapon diagonally up, but not directly up. I did like how after your mech explodes, you eject out of it and can continue fighting without it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Week 16 - Completed Phelios

Could they have made your character's hit box any bigger on this game? It feels like you take up a third of the screen, and holy shit, how sparse are the power ups? This game is also rife with really cheap hazards that run on for a lot longer than they need to. The gauntlet with the Griffin Knights approaching from behind you, the potato throwing brutes on the ocean platforms, and is there really only ONE SINGLE life replenishment in the ENTIRE GAME!?

They give you a 4 slot life bar with only 3 slot filled and in the entire game they only give you a single life replinishment, which only fills A SINGLE SLOT!? Really?

There's a lot more I could say about this game, but it's late and I'm tired. Suffice it to say that it didn't exactly live up to my expectations. Granted, those hopes were built up for almost three decades, so I probably set the bar a little higher than I should have.

Gotta love the fan service though, I suppose...

Last edited by Emperor Megas; 04-22-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

For the Player's Choice challenge I finished P.O.W. for the NES.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pow1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	10265

Name:	pow2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	10266

A to kick, B to punch, A+B to jump kick. Sound familiar? Yep, me too. But in this game you can also get a machine gun and grenades.

Overall not bad for a NES title.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    For the Player's Choice challenge I finished P.O.W. for the NES.

Name:	pow1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	10265

Name:	pow2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	10266

A to kick, B to punch, A+B to jump kick. Sound familiar? Yep, me too. But in this game you can also get a machine gun and grenades.

Overall not bad for a NES title.
    I love POW! I even bought two of the arcade pcb and gave one to my brother. You have a few more moves in the arcade, which has 3 buttons (one for jump, punch, and kick each). You have a back fist and a headbutt as well using different combinations of the buttons. The jump kick is by far the most effective attack in either version. The NES game is cool because it added weapons and rooms in the stages, as well as bosses. The arcade game doesn't really have bosses save a kind of unique enemy at the end stage, but has two player co-op, more moves, and better graphics. Great choice!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Could they have made your character's hit box any bigger on this game? It feels like you take up a thurd if the screen, and holy shit, how sparse are the power ups? This game is also rife with really cheap hazards that run on for a lot longer than they need to. The gauntlet with the Griffin Knights approaching from behind you, the potato throwing brutes on the ocean platforms, and is there really only ONE SINGLE life replenishment in the ENTIRE GAME!?

They give you a 4 slot life bar with only 3 slot filled and in the entire game they only give you an single life replinishment which only fills A SINGLE SLOT!? Really?

There's a lot more I could say about this game, but it's late and I'm tired. Suffice it to say that it didn't exactly live up to my expectations. Granted, those hopes were built up for almost three decades, so I probably set the bar a little higher than I should have.

Gotta love the fan service though, I suppose...

Nice win! It helps with Phelios if you'd played it in the '90s, but I really like the game's look a lot. You do have a big hit box for sure, but I really like the sprites and backgrounds a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

So, they used notebook paper or legal pads in Olympus? I was too tired to knit-pick this shit last night. I can look past the cursive English and all, since they want you to understand it, but lined paper? Or is this not from Artemis to Apollo?

Like, is it supposed to be from her to you, the player, via the development team?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

So, they used notebook paper or legal pads in Olympus? I was too tired to knit-pick this shit last night. I can look past the cursive English and all, since they want you to understand it, but lined paper? Or is this not from Artemis to Apollo?

Like, is it supposed to be from her to you, the player, via the development team?
    I like to think it's from a horny developer to Artemis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yeah, when every image of her is some shit like this, I wouldn't doubt it.

What's funny is the screen hung on that image of Artemis for what seemed like a long time when I completed the game, so I thought maybe I had to press a button to advance the screen. When I did, the game wrote 'BE PATIENT' across the top of the screen, then Artemis started giving bed room eyes right after.

Like, what the fuck? ^_^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 17

Well, where it seemed like a slow week at first, there's been a nice little flurry of wins toward the end. Anyhow, new week, new games. Here we go!

-SOS/Septentrion (SNES) (not Sink or Swim; just SOS)

-WarTech: Senko no Ronde (Xbox 360)

-Player's choice: pick any game whose title ends in the letter "L." Examples may include Danger Girl, Eggs of Steel, Magic Pengel, Link: Faces of Evil, RBI Baseball, Project Overkill, Ghost in the Shell, Heavy Barrel, Cabal, etc. For the record, I have a strong feeling I know which game RP2A03 picks. I'd say what, but Heisenberg and all.

-Still a week left to knock out a Lunar series game for the April RPG. Will anyone make it?

-Import alternative: Space Hunter (Famicom)
    Last edited by celerystalker; 04-23-2017 at 12:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I have WarTech, but I've never played it. What sort of game is it? I don't think there's been (m)any post 6th generation games, save some RPG options.

I'm guessing it's a fairly short game, yeah?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I have WarTech, but I've never played it. What sort of game is it? I don't think there's been (m)any post 6th generation games, save some RPG options.

I'm guessing it's a fairly short game, yeah?
    It's a 1 on 1 shooter. It's like a cross between a fighting game and danmaku shooter. It's pretty unique. And, yes, short. It was an arcade game. Same folks who did Gradius V, Border Down, and Under Defeat.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I love POW!
    P.O.W. is one of those games that gets a pass from me from nostalgia and aesthetics alone. The punch/knockout effect is one of most meaty, brutal ones ever in a beat 'em up, and teenage me thought pistol-whipping thugs with your M-16 after you run out of ammo was bleeding edge innovation. The stage 1 intro is memorable enough to rank right up there with Final Fight's and Double Dragon's.

Nice win! It helps with Phelios if you'd played it in the '90s, but I really like the game's look a lot.
    I managed to make it through Phelios last Thursday. I've owned the JP Mega Drive for 15+ years and this was the first time I had even plugged it in. Never played the arcade version so I don't know how it stacks up. I thought it was a decent game worth a playthrough but I probably won't be revisiting it. I liked the concepts, the detailed story, and a few enemies (especially the 3 witch things with severed floating heads).

I totally agree about the life-bar complaints, especially where it doesn't even refill between levels. The many voice samples are of such a scratchy, low quality that they shouldn't have even bothered. Your character starts out slow as shit, but as soon as you start/respawn your always instantly given 2 speed ups, so why even set it up like that? I felt there was way too much reliance on using your charged shot, beyond the point of it being a just a risk/reward strategy to the point where it's an absolute requirement and regular shots are totally pointless.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a strong feeling I know which game RP2A03 picks.
    How did you know I was going to play Bishoujo Control?

It is a vertical shooter in which your ship is a penis and you shoot sperm at various things coming at you such as bras, mouths, stars, and scissors. Colliding with kanji gives you points. bananas gives you a laser upgrade, and condoms grant you invincibility. In order to move on to the next stage you must collect most of the tiles that reveal a picture of a sexy lady. After every third or fourth stage clear you get to see a picture of a green haired chick in stages of increasing undress.

Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Ah, I was wrong. I was betting on MTV's Remote Control.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, I was wrong. I was betting on MTV's Remote Control.
    I wasn't even aware of it's existence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    I wasn't even aware of it's existence.
    A game show NES game you didn't know? Color me surprised. They've made some quick and dirty clears for you a few times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A game show NES game you didn't know? Color me surprised. They've made some quick and dirty clears for you a few times.
    I probably saw it when looking when looking through my ROM set, but quickly dismissed it as unplayable trash when I saw MTV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    I probably saw it when looking when looking through my ROM set, but quickly dismissed it as unplayable trash when I saw MTV.
    If that was your instinct, it wasn't a bad one. It's pretty lousy even for a game show game.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Well, I just kicked some Nipple Yanker butt. I thought they'd be harder, or at least more painful.

So I'm starting to worry that I haven't made it to the second disc yet. Story-wise, it seems like I should be getting near the end, but the disc 2 thing has me worried. This is the PS1 Lunar Silver Star Story Complete. Not sure why the games have taken a turn for the randy recently, but Lunar has surprised me a bit so far and fits in pretty well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Slow week so far, and only a couple days left to push on Lunar. Anyone try WarTech or SOS yet? SOS can be infuriating at times, but I've always found it fascinating. Bad ending counts on that one, by the way!

WarTech is a neat hybrid of Virtual On and Gradius. I hope someone gives it a whirl, as I feel like it's one of the better 360 games that gets very little love, though it does work better as a versus experience.