Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic

Similar here. House project taking up tons of time, plus I'm more in a read-a-book phase, plus my kids have really gotten into Pokemon, so I'm sort of playing along with them. I am watching here, though. And Valkyrie Profile has been on my list for a very long time.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic

Holy Fuuuuuu....! So I started Valkyrie (PS1 discs on PS3) and finally get to the first save, but it says "Free space on this memory card is insufficient" two blocks blah blah blah. So I go on without saving hoping it is just the automatic save prompt that is glitchy or something, but like 10 hours later, same thing. So what's the deal? Does this game not save on PS3? Is my HDD full? (I have no idea, really, but the memory card manager you can access from the PS button says 0/120 KB).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar

I feel bad for about not participating these past 2 months, but, having replaced my dying, awesome Samsung HDTV with a cheap 'meh' SCEPTRE one, I've managed to get some gaming time in lately for the first time in a loooong time. Maybe this week's selections will give me an easy way back in, since I've just started a new game I've never played before (Song of the Deep), and Kenseiden is EASILY one of my favorite SMS games, and one that I've argued for DECADES is PAINFULLY underrated.

Peach (Level 3)
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Well, trying to spice things up appears to have flopped
    Absolutely not. For internet play, maybe it would be easier to pick a classic game on a modern platform, have everyone exchange gamer tags, and plans on a specific date/time. Maybe hunt down a game that allows everyone in the lobby to spectate while the game is going on, or at least have everyone in the same voice chat party.

I've never bothered with internet play through emulators and don't even know where to start. If someone could spoon feed me a tutorial I promise I will listen.

-Kenseiden (Master System)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Kenseiden is EASILY one of my favorite SMS games, and one that I've argued for DECADES is PAINFULLY underrated.
    You two will receive phone calls if I ever become a homosexual polygamist.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I feel bad for about not participating these past 2 months, but, having replaced my dying, awesome Samsung HDTV with a cheap 'meh' SCEPTRE one, I've managed to get some gaming time in lately for the first time in a loooong time. Maybe this week's selections will give me an easy way back in, since I've just started a new game I've never played before (Song of the Deep), and Kenseiden is EASILY one of my favorite SMS games, and one that I've argued for DECADES is PAINFULLY underrated.
    Song of the Deep is a FANTASTIC game, one of the best game experiences I've had this console generation. Great graphics, wonderful sound, fairy-tale atmosphere, and the Metroid-like game design draws you in. It is puzzle-heavy, but the fights and the rewards which come with them are very well done. This is probably the best underwater game I've ever played. Stay with the game, it is a very rewarding and great experience.

However, Valkyrie Profile is an absolute masterpiece! A wonderful game by tri-Ace, if you haven't played it yet and you are just halfway interested in RPGs, give this one a shot. Just recently I enjoyed Exist Archive (a spiritual successor of Valkyrie Profile for the PS4) to no end. Valkyrie Profile is one of the best RPGs I've played, well recognized in the meantime but still underrated in my opinion.
    Last edited by lendelin; 08-07-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)

I'd love to play Exist Archive, but I don't have a PS4. I can't even get my son Plants vs Zombies GW2 cause they're giving PS3 owners no love. Same with Song of the Deep. I don't want to buy another console. I'm just missing out this generation, except for Wii U titles. I was going to sit this whole gen out, but Nintendo just HAD to make Mario Kart 8!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar

Good to hear folks are still having fun here, even if the wins aren't rolling in. If anyone does take their first go at Valkyrie Profile this month, I think they'll be in for a real treat. Its battles can be extremely satisfying.

Az, I like the suggestion of more modern games for another co-op challenge. I'll have to dig deep and find a few with active servers that a short enough to be worth taking on in a weekly challenge. I have a couple of ideas brewing.

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Song of the Deep is a FANTASTIC game, one of the best game experiences I've had this console generation. Great graphics, wonderful sound, fairy-tale atmosphere, and the Metroid-like game design draws you in. It is puzzle-heavy, but the fights and the rewards which come with them are very well done. This is probably the best underwater game I've ever played. Stay with the game, it is a very rewarding and great experience.

However, Valkyrie Profile is an absolute masterpiece! A wonderful game by tri-Ace, if you haven't played it yet and you are just halfway interested in RPGs, give this one a shot. Just recently I enjoyed Exist Archive (a spiritual successor of Valkyrie Profile for the PS4) to no end. Valkyrie Profile is one of the best RPGs I've played, well recognized in the meantime but still underrated in my opinion.
    Song of the Deep is INCREDIBLE so far. I went into it thinking it would be a 'meh' Wii'esque indie game. I bought it NEW for $9.99 at Game Stop, and was told there was a POP figure of the games protagonist available for just $5.00 by an employee who praised the game. I like game themed POPs, and the figure was super cute, as she came in her little submarine, so I walked out with a new copy of the game and the POP for just $15 bucks.

That was about a month ago or so. I just got around to playing it a few days ago, and it's AMAZING. I had no idea it was an endearing, gorgeous, Metroidvania style adventure gaming. The game is absolutely beautiful, the play mechanics and puzzles are excellent, the story is straight forward and whimsical, and the illustrations and narration are just great. I could listen to the narrators voice for hours and never get tired of it.

FOLKS, DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS CHEAP, AWESOME GAME.

I haven't played many games this generation, but this is definitely my favorite current gen gaming experience thus far.

With that said, it seems I own a copy of Valkyrie Profile. I doubt I'll complete another RPG for the Challenge before the year's up, but it doesn't mean I won't start any. I'll give VP a shot when I have a little extra time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merryn.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	10348  

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

-Player's choice: pick any game you've never played before.
    I finally got a point. I played and finished Bard's Gold on the PS4 today.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Talking

He's on the board!

Peach (Level 3)
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Az, I like the suggestion of more modern games for another co-op challenge. I'll have to dig deep and find a few with active servers that a short enough to be worth taking on in a weekly challenge. I have a couple of ideas brewing.
    Undoubtedly there's tons, but when I mentioned that I was thinking about the 360 Sega Vintage collections for Golden Axe and Streets of Rage. Plus there's Final Fight: Double Impact and some mostly delisted stuff like the Konami beat 'em ups and Double Dragon.

Default Week 31 - Kenseiden Completed

Well, I'm finally back on the board after a 2 month hiatus.

Playing through Kenseiden again after so many years was bitter sweet. It was way shorter than I remembered it being before. I think it's because I'm MUCH better at the challenge stages now and can beat them after only a few tries. It was awesome because I love short games, but I played through it on the Retron5, and it's one of the MANY Master System games that has butchered sound.

It looked amazing thanks to the Retron5's HDMI, but man, the music was way off. It's not as terrible as Fantasy Zone II (which sucks so bad, because it's one of my absolute favorite games, and I LOVE the music), but it's still way off.

I don't think I'll finish Song of the Deep in time, and I don't want to, because I don't want this game to end anytime soon (it's awesome!), so I'll try to tackle something else short and new (to me) in the next day.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar

Default Week 32

Welcome to the scoreboard kupomogli, and welcome back Megas! Good to see a few plays trickle in. Anyhow, new week...
    -Blazing Lazers/Gunhed (TG16)

-Magical Drop III (Neo Geo, Wii, Saturn, etc)

-Player's choice: pick a game with poop in it. Examples might include Toilet Kids, Air Zonk, JJ & Jeff, etc.

-August RPG is still Valkyrie Profile. There is still time to prepare for Ragnarok!

-Import Alternative: Hino Tori (Famicom)

I played a little Song of the Deep Monday night since I didn't get a chance to game on *Sunday, and had no idea I would end it that night. I know it was after the deadline, but I wouldn't complain if I got a point for it anyway.

Excellent game, BTW. For just $10 I can't praise it enough.

*Nephew's birthday in the park Sunday. His crazed, drug adled psycho father showed up and started preaching to children he doesn't even know about 'the Lord' and inviting a random, pissy drunk homeless guy he saw wondering around to join the party. Then, for reasons unknown, he starts crying like a MAD MAN, freaking everyone in attendance out...good times!