Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Hmmm, no Lolo games in my collection. I figured I had at least one. Oh well, two out of three this week then.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I'm trying to finish Dragon Warrior 2 for the player's choice this week. I know it's a long haul for a single point but I recently played through DW1 and wanted to revisit DW2 soon, so now it's a race.

I forgot how much of a grindfest this game was, even compared to the first one. May not finish it by the weekend, but damn I'm gonna try!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    I'm trying to finish Dragon Warrior 2 for the player's choice this week. I know it's a long haul for a single point but I recently played through DW1 and wanted to revisit DW2 soon, so now it's a race.

I forgot how much of a grindfest this game was, even compared to the first one. May not finish it by the weekend, but damn I'm gonna try!
    Oh, man, good luck! That's a toughie to get through quickly! I almost always quit that one about 2/3 in when I decide to replay it...

Sorry you don't have any Lolo games, Megas... you don't by chance have the black & white Game Boy cart? You may be the only Astal finish. I don't know many people who own that one. I like it a lot, even though the stage where you have to go underneath the giant beast with all those legs drives me nuts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Sorry you don't have any Lolo games, Megas... you don't by chance have the black & white Game Boy cart? You may be the only Astal finish. I don't know many people who own that one. I like it a lot, even though the stage where you have to go underneath the giant beast with all those legs drives me nuts!
    Yeah, I'm fairly positive I don't have it on Gameboy. I only own about 6 original Gameboy games.

I had to think about what creature with the legs you were talking about, but I was only thinking about bosses. I just remember the creature in the volcano area that you have to walk under. Ha, I love that shit. You gotta love the bolder stage too, where he chucks the rock and literally caps the volcano with it at the end of the stage. It begs the question though, if he's THAT strong, why doesn't he just mercilessly tear his way though EVERYTHING in his path?
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 03-30-2017 at 01:31 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well its taken me awhile to get around to posting my progress this week but I have in fact been playing games.

First off I beat the original Adventures of Lolo(NES). I was very glad to see a puzzle platformer in this weeks games. Being that I am currently developing a puzzle platformer of my own, I relish the opportunity to play through other puzzle platformers for inspiration.

I also must say I was very impressed with the game. Adventures of Lolo managed to do something that games rarely do for me now a days; the game managed to make me completely lose track of time. I played the game in two play sessions(planned for it to take more sessions). The first play session I played up to floor 5; the puzzles up to this point were fun, all be it rather simple, but they weren't anything that truly stood out. However, when I sat down for my second play session after work yesterday, I had intended to play for an hour or two before preparing dinner. This was when I ended up getting absorbed in the game. I found myself looking up to the clock, while struggling with a tenth floor stage, to find that somehow 4 and a half hours had passed and it was almost 9 o'clock. Well past my intended dinner time. Still I was so close to the end I simply had to finish that sitting.

The game did one thing I found particularly fascinating. They forced the user to use a mechanic that for half the game seemed completely irrelevant and possibly even unintentional. To prevent spoiling the puzzles for other players i will not go into too much detail as to what mechanic I am referring to, but discovering the usefulness of said mechanic was one of my favorite parts of the game.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lolo.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	10227
    Earlier in the week I also complete my players choice game, "Parappa The Rapper"(PS1). I first fell in love with rhythm games by playing "Um Jamma Lammy"(Ps1) repeatedly. My love for Rhythm games stayed with me the rest of my life. However, despite loving Um Jamma Lammy and playing Parappa The Rapper 2; I had never actually played the original Parappa The Rapper. So I was thrilled to finally fire the original up this week.

Parappa The Rapper was a blast. It was a little bit weird to get used to the timing at first but after adjusting the game became relatively easy. It was a little disappointing that the game was only about an hour long; but the quirky characters and unique setting, coupled with amazingly unique music made every moment enjoyable.

Name:	PRapper.jpg 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	10229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRapper2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	10228

Also relevant with all the talk of name romatization; it was kind of annoying to me that the game had a different title in the menu than on the case. It was very minor but they remove the "The" on the menu screen.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

You should check out Gitaroo Man (PS2 or PSP) if you haven't already. Even with the annoying PSP analog nub it was a lot of fun.
    Last edited by jperryss; 03-29-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    You should check out Gitaroo Man (PS2 or PSP) if you haven't already. Even with the annoying PSP analog nub it was a lot of fun.
    Haven't heard of it. I'll be sure to look it up.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice! I bought that one in the '90s not knowing what it was, but thinking it was a funny title. I've been a fan ever since!
    It was an impulse buy for me too. I saw it in a Funcoland and it reminded me of the Wonderboy games, so I bought it.

I played through the Sega Master System version of Sonic Spinball for player's choice this week. It's no where near as good as the Genesis version, but I gave it a shot since I had not played it before.

I may play a Lolo game this week, but I'm probably going to skip Astal. I played it once before and remember thinking it was a pretty dull platformer.

Insert Coin (Level 0) brandon913's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    brandon913

Finally getting around to competing in these challenges. I just finished adventures of lolo last night and now working on the other 2.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eggerland (FDS) is completed. A fun game for the most part, my only real complaint with this one is with the obtusely hidden guardians. Unless it is mentioned in the manual somewhere, there is no way to know that you have to re-enter certain rooms after solving them and move a specific block in order to reveal a cave. Do the other games in the series do stuff like this?

A rousing game of janken makes for an epic boss fight.

*sniff*
    This is the happiest day of my life.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brandon913 View Post
    Finally getting around to competing in these challenges. I just finished adventures of lolo last night and now working on the other 2.
    Nice! You're on the board.

RPA203-The later Lolo games aren't as obtuse. You basically progress from puzzle to puzzle with no backtracking. That is a beautiful wedding... thanks so much for letting everyone have a glimpse into your special day. I like to think you had William Shatner doing a spoken word rendition of "Here Comes the Bride" to an accordion backdrop. The friendship that comes with marriage is magic.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To round out this week I played through the import alternative "Hebereke Popitto"(Super Famicon). It was a pretty standard Dr.Mario style puzzle game but was a nice change of pace from the many platformers I've been playing. Overall the game was pretty fun; granted the last two stages were a little annoying in that it was easy to make a mistake at the beginning due to an unexpected enemy move and end up with little to no chance of completion because of it.

Name:	Poppito2.jpg 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	10231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poppito.jpg 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	10230

Out of curiosity, if you complete the import alternative instead of one of the games, do you still get the bonus points for completing all 3 games in the week?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by biofall View Post
    To round out this week I played through the import alternative "Hebereke Popitto"(Super Famicon). It was a pretty standard Dr.Mario style puzzle game but was a nice change of pace from the many platformers I've been playing. Overall the game was pretty fun; granted the last two stages were a little annoying in that it was easy to make a mistake at the beginning due to an unexpected enemy move and end up with little to no chance of completion because of it.

Name:	Poppito2.jpg 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	10231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poppito.jpg 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	10230

Out of curiosity, if you complete the import alternative instead of one of the games, do you still get the bonus points for completing all 3 games in the week?
    Yes. The import alternate stands in for a game, allowing the bonus point for a three game sweep, but letting you skip something you'd rather not play or just try something new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 14

After some more new players scored some wins, it's a new week AND month. New games all around, and new scoreboard up tomorrow!

Week 14 games:

-Silent Bomber (PS1)

-Super Spike V'ball (World Championship) (NES, Arcade)

-Player's choice: pick any game based on a movie that had a theatrical release somewhere in the world. Examples might include Street Fighter: The Movie, Disney's Hercules, Goldeneye 007, Enter the Matrix, Darkman, The Untouchables, etc.

-Import alternative: Cyberbots (Saturn, Arcade)

-April RPG: Pick any game from the Lunar series. These include Lunar: The Silver Star (and its ridiculous number of remakes), Lunar 2: Eternal Blue (and its remakes), Lunar Magic/Walking School, and Lunar Dragon Song (ouch).

Good luck, and happy Wrestlemania!

Insert Coin (Level 0) brandon913's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    brandon913

Post Week 13 Game Completion Challenge

Just beat Battleship on the NES for the double consonant challenge. Gonna to try and get through Astal before the deadline tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brandon913 View Post
    Just beat Battleship on the NES for the double consonant challenge. Gonna to try and get through Astal before the deadline tomorrow.
    Nice! Good luck on Astal. It's a fun one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Week 13 Player's Choice Completed - Alex Kidd and The Lost Stars

I completed Alex Kidd and the Lost Stars and realized it's another Master System game with wonky sound on the Retron 5. Not terrible like Fantasy Zone II, but definitely different.

Anyway, I didn't get to play Astal until around 1:00 am, and after 2 defeats (got to the stupid tangle boss that freezes Astal, then died on the Plains of Destiny the next game) I think I'll retire for a few hours and go at it again in the morning. I knew that I wouldn't breeze through Astal after so many years, but I sure enjoyed picking this title up again. It's such a gorgeous game. Anyone who's a fan of The Never Ending Story, and/or The Dark Crystal should enjoy this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I completed Alex Kidd and the Lost Stars and realized it's another Master System game with wonky sound on the Retron 5. Not terrible like Fantasy Zone II, but definitely different.

Anyway, I didn't get to play Astal until around 1:00 am, and after 2 defeats (got to the stupid tangle boss that freezes Astal, then died on the Plains of Destiny the next game) I think I'll retire for a few hours and go at it again in the morning. I knew that I wouldn't breeze through Astal after so many years, but I sure enjoyed picking this title up again. It's such a gorgeous game. Anyone who's a fan of The Never Ending Story, and/or The Dark Crystal should enjoy this game.
    There really should've been a Dark Crystal game. I mean, we didn't even get the Famicom Labyrinth game...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-Player's choice: pick any game based on a movie that had a theatrical release somewhere in the world. Examples might include Street Fighter: The Movie, Disney's Hercules, Goldeneye 007, Enter the Matrix, Darkman, The Untouchables, etc.
    Do games that aren't directly based on a specific movie but based on a film series count? For example Alien Isolation, Mad Max, Force unleashed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by biofall View Post
    Do games that aren't directly based on a specific movie but based on a film series count? For example Alien Isolation, Mad Max, Force unleashed?
    Yep. Sure do.