Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    So, in Illusion of Gaia, when you save your game and chose not to continue to play more, is it suppose to just hang on this scene in the Dark World, or what? Is this normal? Like, do you have to reset the game or something?
    That's normal, Soul Blazer does the same thing. The game is saved and it's safe to power off or reset.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I can't get past the second level in cybernator
    Been trying all week

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    That's normal, Soul Blazer does the same thing. The game is saved and it's safe to power off or reset.
    That's...so weird. Why wouldn't it reset to the title screen. Such a bizarre decision.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, in Illusion of Gaia, when you save your game and chose not to continue to play more, is it suppose to just hang on this scene in the Dark World, or what? Is this normal? Like, do you have to reset the game or something?
    Yes.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 8

Still a day or so to go in week 7, but I'll post week 8 a few hours early while I'm still conscious.

-Kabuki Quantum Fighter (NES)

-Knife Edge: Nose Gunner (N64)

-Player's choice: Pick a game with a color in its title. Examples might include Red Faction, Black, The Hunt for Red October, Pokémon Blue, Everblue, Gold Medal Challenge '92, Captain Silver, etc.

With jperryss finishing SoulBlazer, three people have completed the monthly RPG challenge. Emperor Megas is in hot pursuit, and Scissors may or may not be staring down a copy of Granstream Saga. with ten days left to go, will anyone else sneak in a win?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, that Legend game is a slog. The levels drag on FOREVER. God, I thought level 2 was never going to end. Weak moveset. Hack, hack, hack, jumpkick. No grabs or dashing. The character walks like he's stuck in mud. Probably won't finish this one.

I suck at them Cybernator type games. Tried chipping away at Gaia but I doubt it'll be finished by the deadline.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

For player's choice this week I decided to play through Alien Storm. My only past experience with it was many years ago on the Genesis port, which I never did finish. Played a few levels on it and thought I'd try out the SMS port, a cart I owned for years but never tried.

Gee whiz that thing is horrible. It's got that same herky-jerky framerate issue the SMS Golden Axe port does but only worse. Visuals are flat and extremely boring with no detail in anything. The collision detection isn't too hot, which doesn't to any favors to the gameplay being that the fighting engine is a bit unorthodox to begin with. I ended up getting frustrated and turning it off. That's one port to avoid.

I ended up playing through the original coin-op version. I'd never played this before and had no idea how stripped down the home port was in comparison. It has a ton of humor and little details I was unaware of and they're completely lost on the Genesis version. I always assumed it was fairly accurate to the source material like the Golden Axe port, but boy was I wrong.

Overall the coin-op was an enjoyable game that's worth a playthrough but not one I'd prefer over either of the arcade Golden Axe game. If you're a big Sega fan the coin-op is worth a playthrough just to see the ending. It's a classic, off the wall Team Shinobi ending with references to their past 3 arcade games.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

That's...so weird. Why wouldn't it reset to the title screen. Such a bizarre decision.
    Probably to encourage kids to put the controller down and go outside.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played through Metal Storm for player's choice this week. I also started Granstream Saga, but I have a feeling I won't finish this one in time either.

I'm definitely going to give Kabuki Quantum Fighter a try next week. I've had it for years, but never really played it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Week 8 Player's Choice Completed

I ran through Black Tiger on the PSP CAPCOM Collection for a super easy point. If I had to make a top 10 favorite arcade games, Black Tiger would definitely make the cut. This game needs a modern, God of War'esque remake like no other.

Now, to finally try out Kabuki Quantum Fighter...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I ran through Black Tiger on the PSP CAPCOM Collection for a super easy point. If I had to make a top 10 favorite arcade games, Black Tiger would definitely make the cut. This game needs a modern, God of War'esque remake like no other.

Now, to finally try out Kabuki Quantum Fighter...
    Black Tiger is so near and dear to my heart. It and Time Soldiers go back and forth as my favorite arcade games of all time. I turned off continues on my pcb in the dip switches, 'cause I haven't needed them in years. This pisses my friends that play it off, but they just need to practice more on their Capcom Classics 2 discs that I bought for pretty much all of them when it came out. I bet I gave that thing to at least 4 people that year.

Glad to see Kabuki Quantum Fighter is new to a few folks! I think it's pretty underrated.

Scissors-Metal Storm rules. Up until a few yeas ago, that was one of the best under the radar games out there... now it costs a lot... Good luck clearing Granstream! I've never dug it like I do the SNES trilogy, but I hope you have fun with it!

Az- I really dig Alien Storm. That pcb is on my list to get. I mean, the Genesis version is cool, and I really like it, but you're right about the devil being in the details!
    Last edited by celerystalker; 02-19-2017 at 04:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Just a question for the future... how do you all feel about the inclusion of an english-friendly import here or there? I'm mainly trying to choose stuff that's fairly common and accessible so far, so as to make it possible for the maximum number of participants. Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Just a question for the future... how do you all feel about the inclusion of an english-friendly import here or there? I'm mainly trying to choose stuff that's fairly common and accessible so far, so as to make it possible for the maximum number of participants. Thoughts?
    I don't emulate at the moment, and can only play games I actually own (for now). I only have a few Megadrive imports, a handful of various handheld imports, a decent amount of Saturn imports, and a LOT of PC Engine imports (way more than TG-16 games, weirdly enough). With that said, I don't mind the inclusion of an import or two here and there. since there's always going to be something I don't have that others have access to anyway in the weekly picks.

You may want to consider keeping some of the import picks broad though if you decide to incorporate them. Like instead of always using individual titles, you could sometimes just have a broader criteria, like 'an import vertical shooter', or 'any import game based on an Anime license that wasn't released outside of Japan', or 'an import installment that we didn't get here for a series that we did get, etc..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Black Tiger is so near and dear to my heart. It and Time Soldiers go back and forth as my favorite arcade games of all time. I turned off continues on my pcb in the dip switches, 'cause I haven't needed them in years.!
    I don't need or use them either, but if others played it I probably would leave continues on just because I like the continue countdown music.

Actually, nah, screw 'em. I'd just tell 'em to 'get good'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I don't emulate at the moment, and can only play games I actually own (for now). I only have a few Megadrive imports, a handful of various handheld imports, a decent amount of Saturn imports, and a LOT of PC Engine imports (way more than TG-16 games, weirdly enough). With that said, I don't mind the inclusion of an import or two here and there. since there's always going to be something I don't have that others have access to anyway in the weekly picks.

You may want to consider keeping some of the import picks broad though if you decide to incorporate them. Like instead of always using individual titles, you could sometimes just have a broader criteria, like 'an import vertical shooter', or 'any import game based on an Anime license that wasn't released outside of Japan', or 'an import installment that we didn't get here for a series that we did get, etc..
    Yeah, I don't emulate myself, so I'm trying to be conscientous about availability. There are some really obscure games I'd like to try to get folks to play, but I think I'll just incorporate them as options much like you're suggesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yeah, I don't emulate myself, so I'm trying to be conscientous about availability. There are some really obscure games I'd like to try to get folks to play, but I think I'll just incorporate them as options much like you're suggesting.
    If you'd really like to promote specific import titles you could just offer a Player's Choice A -OR- B (B being a specific import option) each week.

People will always have access to Player's Choice A (your normal picks), since you always make the criteria broad. People who have access to the import titles you'd like to offer up can opt to play it instead of the A option that week to earn their Player's Choice point, if they want. This way no one gets left out, the total possible points remain the same, and you can offer up a different import option a week through out the year, which sounds pretty cool.

Mind you, I'm just throwing out random ideas here.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

If you'd really like to promote specific import titles you could just offer a Player's Choice A -OR- B (B being a specific import option) each week.

People will always have access to Player's Choice A (your normal picks), since you always make the criteria broad. People who have access to the import titles you'd like to offer up can opt to play it instead of the A option that week to earn their Player's Choice point, if they want. This way no one gets left out, the total possible points remain the same, and you can offer up a different import option a week through out the year, which sounds pretty cool.

Mind you, I'm just throwing out random ideas here.
    I like this idea!

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For this week's player's choice I was a little bit cheeky and played Wheel of Fortune: Starring Vanna White.

No expense was spared on Vanna's sprites.

Awesome character design.

I won a cruise!

I like this idea as well. One thing to keep in mind is that most of us will probably be relying on emulation for the imports, so at the very least the game (if not the hardware) needs to be emulated well.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Those Wheel of Fortune character designs though!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Think I'm making some progress in Gaia. Up to the pyramid with 4 or 5 of the statues. This the only game in the trilogy I never beat for whatever reason.